• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lakers Off-Season Thread

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't argue that - but there is a price to pay - and it came at the expense of developing a team by letting it absolute bottom.

The price to pay had less to do with Kobe and more to do with the fact that the Lakers were left with virtually no assets when Dwight left. No one of value in a trade and almost no draft picks. To get what they did with what they had, was damn near spinning straw into gold.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The price to pay had less to do with Kobe and more to do with the fact that the Lakers were left with virtually no assets when Dwight left. No one of value in a trade and almost no draft picks. To get what they did with what they had, was damn near spinning straw into gold.

I might be wrong, but I don't think Jim Buss has done so bad that his departure would solve anything and I don't think Jeannie Buss will believe that either. At this point they need to forget about who did what wrong and move forward together with what they have learned. I do think they will argue that Jim did all he could under the circumstances and I would not disagree.

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I haven't heard anything where the other owners are wanting him out, but let me know if and when you hear that. Until then I think he is there to stay.
TLF, sometimes it's just hard having convos with you.

You say you haven't heard anything where the owners want him out however this whole convo is based on the agreement between Jeanie and Jimmy where he will resign or not with his three year rebuild plan deadline.
:gaah:

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jerry Buss traded Shaq and resigned Kobe - it wasn't a reboot from the start.
Let's not discount the trade MK made to get Pau in purple and gold. We saw three Final appearances in as many years with two Championships since Shaq was sent packing.

Yes they made money on Kobe - I don't argue that - but there is a price to pay - and it came at the expense of developing a team by letting it absolute bottom. So now it will take time to rebuild and they will rebuild it. Jim Buss and the staff are not going anywhere. In a few more years - happier times will prevail, but after our rookies are a team and a force. I am excited actually to see what Randle and Russell can do with Ingram.
Then there was the Stern nix of the CP3 trade to the Lakers. This is where the tide began to turn for the Lakers. A big three of Bryant, Paul and Howard may have lasted longer and attracted a better crop of FA's than the resulting failure of Bryant, Nash and Howard.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's not discount the trade MK made to get Pau in purple and gold. We saw three Final appearances in as many years with two Championships since Shaq was sent packing.

Then there was the Stern nix of the CP3 trade to the Lakers. This is where the tide began to turn for the Lakers. A big three of Bryant, Paul and Howard may have lasted longer and attracted a better crop of FA's than the resulting failure of Bryant, Nash and Howard.

So Buss hasn't done all that bad - I mean if he made bad decisions from beginning to end, I would agree he needs to step down, but as an owner, he deserves the opportunity to learn his role and as long as he is learning and growing, I am willing to give him the slack my job gave me when I started out at 18 an hour in 1991 and now earn $40

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TLF, sometimes it's just hard having convos with you.

You say you haven't heard anything where the owners want him out however this whole convo is based on the agreement between Jeanie and Jimmy where he will resign or not with his three year rebuild plan deadline.
:gaah:
I understand that - but what I am saying is that so far the only conversation I have heard about getting rid of Jim Buss is you guys in here. No offense, but our opinions don't count and so far there has not been any conversations about this from the ones that has an opinion that does count. There is a method to my madness - but I'm not trying to drive any one mad unless it's Wiggy

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Buss hasn't done all that bad - I mean if he made bad decisions from beginning to end, I would agree he needs to step down, but as an owner, he deserves the opportunity to learn his role and as long as he is learning and growing, I am willing to give him the slack my job gave me when I started out at 18 an hour in 1991 and now earn $40
I can appreciate bringing on new talent and giving them the latitude to grow and flourish however being so close to the operations so long under his Father you would think the learning curve would be minimal.

My problem with the dude is his attitude where he's made the ridicules statements in getting Free Agents to come to the Lakers. He comes across like he is full of himself and without regard or respect to the individuals who are actually making the decisions to come here or not.

Report: Jim Buss told people Lakers would sign Dwight Howard in 2013, Carmelo Anthony in 2014, Kevin Durant in 2016, Russell Westbrook in 2017…

By the way, who was he thinking he would have to pass the ball around when he made this statement, Steve Nash? :lol:

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well than here you go, however I think this story or one related was linked earlier in the conversation and in my thinking the basis of the convo.

Jeanie Buss clarifies Jim Buss’ pledge: ‘At least second round’

Sounds like to me Jim is already trying to do what I said he would do last year. He is already trying to weasel out because if her idea is Finals or bust - that's not going to happen in less then two or three years, but I didn't think that three year deadline was realistic to begin with. I just don't believe that she will force her brother out next year when the time comes. If she does - I will admit that I was wrong - I acknowledge that I do not know everything.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can appreciate bringing on new talent and giving them the latitude to grow and flourish however being so close to the operations so long under his Father you would think the learning curve would be minimal.

My problem with the dude is his attitude where he's made the ridicules statements in getting Free Agents to come to the Lakers. He comes across like he is full of himself and without regard or respect to the individuals who are actually making the decisions to come here or not.

Report: Jim Buss told people Lakers would sign Dwight Howard in 2013, Carmelo Anthony in 2014, Kevin Durant in 2016, Russell Westbrook in 2017…

By the way, who was he thinking he would have to pass the ball around when he made this statement, Steve Nash? :lol:
I Know he isn't well liked and the Nash deal just gives me a headache but it's not like they had a lot of choices.

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder where it's going to be?

Any idea LR?

South Bay makes the most sense to me.

It's just up the street from the current facility in El Segundo. I look forward to going to a D-league game the following season.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Overall, I like the direction the team seems to be headed, especially now that they appear to have the right coach.

I also find it funny that people keep talking about how the Lakers have always gotten top FA's in the past. I got to thinking about it and I can't think of any top FA's, other than their own, that the Lakers have signed. Even when they got Karl Malone and Gary Payton, they were both past their prime and just trying to ride Shaq and Kobe to a ring before they retired. They were top FA's in name only.

Every great Lakers team has been built the exact same way. They draft well, they make a shrewd trade that brings them a top player or brings them a top draft pick, they sign FA's who fill specific roles and they hire the right coach to bring it all together.

This one is being built pretty much from the ground up because of how bad off they were after the CP3 veto and the Dwightmare, but they seem to be trying to use the same blueprint.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Overall, I like the direction the team seems to be headed, especially now that they appear to have the right coach.

I also find it funny that people keep talking about how the Lakers have always gotten top FA's in the past. I got to thinking about it and I can't think of any top FA's, other than their own, that the Lakers have signed. Even when they got Karl Malone and Gary Payton, they were both past their prime and just trying to ride Shaq and Kobe to a ring before they retired. They were top FA's in name only.

Every great Lakers team has been built the exact same way. They draft well, they make a shrewd trade that brings them a top player or brings them a top draft pick, they sign FA's who fill specific roles and they hire the right coach to bring it all together.

This one is being built pretty much from the ground up because of how bad off they were after the CP3 veto and the Dwightmare, but they seem to be trying to use the same blueprint.

I'm still quite excited about the signing of Deng. I've always been a fan of his (being British too :D).

The team is definitely headed in the right direction. I see Ingram being a big star in this league eventually.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IDK. Both of these deals have now been revealed to have no team options and both players will be on the downsides of their careers in 4 years. This means that if they cut either player because of whatever, they eat the rest of the contract. First they overpaid for both IMO. Then they have to continue to pay if they get rid of either player. Seems to me, this is just not being judicious and efficient and wasting money. IMO, they could have done a bit better but I get that they are now no longer elite and are gambling a bit again.

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah they have built previous laker teams by draft and trades. They could have went the Knicks way and traded Russell and others for cousins, but they did not do that. I am okay with it. The mistake they made is the TM deal. That one was a panic move imo. Howver, they aren't the only ones. That biambo one looks even worse.