• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lakers Off-Season Thread

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hear this every year. It is getting old.

same here. i just think at some point you have to have some mid tier talent to interest some free agents besides rookies and 2nd year guys. can't keep signing 1 year deal guys and expect top free agents to show up.

The Lakers were signing 1 year players out of necessity. It was to create the current cap space. The top FA's this year aren't coming, so they should sign a couple of 2nd tier/older vets who still have something left and go big game hunting next FA when it's a deeper class and they have shown they are moving in the right direction.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hear this every year. It is getting old.
The problem is that the Lakers need 30 wins in order to attract big names. If you are a big name and you see a team that won 32 games, then you know your game will make that 40 to 50 wins and the playoffs and you know that the Lakers will be looking to sign more big names, but Bryon Scott set the Lakers back an entire year by not reaching that goal. In short - Last year was a complete bust

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem is that the Lakers need 30 wins in order to attract big names. If you are a big name and you see a team that won 32 games, then you know your game will make that 40 to 50 wins and the playoffs and you know that the Lakers will be looking to sign more big names, but Bryon Scott set the Lakers back an entire year by not reaching that goal. In short - Last year was a complete bust
I agree we are a year behind.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree we are a year behind.

All things considered, that may not be a bad thing. Next years FA class is supposed to be much better/deeper than this one. They will have the upcoming season for Luke to show he can coach and for the young guys to show they are on the right track.

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Lakers were signing 1 year players out of necessity. It was to create the current cap space. The top FA's this year aren't coming, so they should sign a couple of 2nd tier/older vets who still have something left and go big game hunting next FA when it's a deeper class and they have shown they are moving in the right direction.
Also, Jimbo may not be in them FA meetings next year too. :hope:

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All things considered, that may not be a bad thing. Next years FA class is supposed to be much better/deeper than this one. They will have the upcoming season for Luke to show he can coach and for the young guys to show they are on the right track.
We do have to get better though and it is imperative we reach the 30+ wins to attract them. I was not really sold on the class of free agents this year even if we had the 30 wins because our rookies wouldn't have been ready any ways. Another year and Randle will be ready. I think Russell has two years to go before he is ready and Ingram might be ready but most likely has two years to go but we do have another year to go for these guys to be road tested properly

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, Jimbo may not be in them FA meetings next year too. :hope:
That's a fantasy bro - he is part owner and will always be there to make final decisions with his sister. That's how a family operated business works

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We do have to get better though and it is imperative we reach the 30+ wins to attract them. I was not really sold on the class of free agents this year even if we had the 30 wins because our rookies wouldn't have been ready any ways. Another year and Randle will be ready. I think Russell has two years to go before he is ready and Ingram might be ready but most likely has two years to go but we do have another year to go for these guys to be road tested properly

Even with no more signings, if Luke is the coach most think he is and the kids continue to develop, 30 wins, or at least close, should be doable.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's a fantasy bro - he is part owner and will always be there to make final decisions with his sister. That's how a family operated business works

Except that he doesn't have final say, Jeanie does. It's how Dr. Buss set up the business.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Except that he doesn't have final say, Jeanie does. It's how Dr. Buss set up the business.
Legally yes, but the dynamic of the family will dictate what they do and we don't necessarily know what that dynamic is, but I've worked for family operated businesses and have seen enough to know there will be discussions behind closed doors and Jeannie and Jim working together over the years. She is going to respect Jim's opinions and take on business matters and I will even go so far to say that while Jim is not anything like his father as of right now, that he will be very different five years from now. Both of them will get better. It just doesn't happen in a few short years. Experience is gained from making both good and bad decisions.

Think of it this way - how many years of bad decisions did it take you to figure out that when your wife said to do something, to just say "yes dear" and go with the program? I really do think Jim is not that great right now, but I do believe he will learn and get better and I say - give the guy a chance - that doesn't happen overnight

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even with no more signings, if Luke is the coach most think he is and the kids continue to develop, 30 wins, or at least close, should be doable.
Especially since they kept Clarkson. More important though the signing as silly as it looks sent up the flare to the rest of the free agents that says - The Lakers will throw their money at you and sign multiple deals.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Legally yes, but the dynamic of the family will dictate what they do and we don't necessarily know what that dynamic is, but I've worked for family operated businesses and have seen enough to know there will be discussions behind closed doors and Jeannie and Jim working together over the years. She is going to respect Jim's opinions and take on business matters and I will even go so far to say that while Jim is not anything like his father as of right now, that he will be very different five years from now. Both of them will get better. It just doesn't happen in a few short years. Experience is gained from making both good and bad decisions.

Think of it this way - how many years of bad decisions did it take you to figure out that when your wife said to do something, to just say "yes dear" and go with the program? I really do think Jim is not that great right now, but I do believe he will learn and get better and I say - give the guy a chance - that doesn't happen overnight

Jim has said "WCF in 3 years or he'll step down", Jeanie has said she'll hold him to that. Obviously, the Lakers aren't going to be making the WCF this year.

I won't rule out the possibility that if the Lakers can show some solid improvement this year, that they may negotiate Jim sticking around and if there is solid improvement, maybe it won't matter so much then.

If there isn't solid improvement, I'm not sure Jeanie will have much choice but to hold him to it. Us Lakers fans aren't known for our patience and if the season is another shit show, the patience shown so far will end and Lakers fans will be burning down Staples Center.

Last edited:

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jim has said "WCF in 3 years or he'll step down", Jeanie has said she'll hold him to that. Obviously, the Lakers aren't going to be making the WCF this year.

I won't rule out the possibility that if the Lakers can show some solid improvement this year, that they may negotiate Jim sticking around and if there is solid improvement, may be it won't matter so much then.

If there isn't solid improvement, I'm not sure Jeanie will have much choice but to hold him to it. Us Lakers fans aren't known for our patience and if the season is another shit show, the patience shown so far will end and Lakers fans will be burning down Staples Center.
He is still a part owner, so yes he could and probably would invent a new role for himself and get someone to help him make better decisions and for a few years even give everyone the illusion that he is no longer part of that decision making - but that's his company too and it's his money being spent. He has an invested interest, so even if he is gone like he says he would be - He won't be. It's a paradox

I don't think you can blame him for the things that haven't worked out anyway though and I think he has done good enough to prove he should stay. As you know I never did believe the three year timeline to begin with. That's because I have already seen how long it takes some family members to learn a new role and it wasn't pretty - lol. I am going to keep my cards in the keep Jim Buss camp either way for one main reason. The person hired to replace him could be worse and by the time you find some one that can fill that role, Jim Buss would have it figured out and be ready to keep the Lakers legacy for generations to come. Sure in the hell beats what Phil Jackson is doing in New York - He is horrible and he is the one I thought would be a genius

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is still a part owner, so yes he could and probably would invent a new role for himself and get someone to help him make better decisions and for a few years even give everyone the illusion that he is no longer part of that decision making - but that's his company too and it's his money being spent. He has an invested interest, so even if he is gone like he says he would be - He won't be. It's a paradox

Just because he's part owner, doesn't mean he would have any say. He's not a majority owner and Dr. Buss set things up so that Jeanie has final say. From everything I've read and heard, that final say is ironclad.

I don't think you can blame him for the things that haven't worked out anyway though and I think he has done good enough to prove he should stay. As you know I never did believe the three year timeline to begin with. That's because I have already seen how long it takes some family members to learn a new role and it wasn't pretty - lol. I am going to keep my cards in the keep Jim Buss camp either way for one main reason. The person hired to replace him could be worse and by the time you find some one that can fill that role, Jim Buss would have it figured out and be ready to keep the Lakers legacy for generations to come. Sure in the hell beats what Phil Jackson is doing in New York - He is horrible and he is the one I thought would be a genius

Agree about Jim. Yes, he screwed some things up right after Dr. Buss passed. But to be fair, the entire front office did, including Mitch. That was to be expected, imo. They warned Lakers fans that if the Dwight/Nash deal didn't work out, we'd be in for some very lean years.

Since then, they have done a very good job of gathering draft picks and putting together a talented young core group. If things continue in that direction, I'd have no problem with Jim sticking around as long as he shuts the fuck up and quits running around telling everyone that the Lakers are getting every top tier FA out there.

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dude, my comment was about Jimbo not being in those FA meetings any longer. I think Jimmy's a detriment in there.

I don't care if he still has a vested interest or not, just get him out of Mitch Kupchak's way...

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dude, my comment was about Jimbo not being in those FA meetings any longer. I think Jimmy's a detriment in there.

I don't care if he still has a vested interest or not, just get him out of Mitch Kupchak's way...
I don't think that is going to happen - He clearly is a part owner and active in the company. I haven't heard anything where the other owners are wanting him out, but let me know if and when you hear that. Until then I think he is there to stay.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just because he's part owner, doesn't mean he would have any say. He's not a majority owner and Dr. Buss set things up so that Jeanie has final say. From everything I've read and heard, that final say is ironclad.

Agree about Jim. Yes, he screwed some things up right after Dr. Buss passed. But to be fair, the entire front office did, including Mitch. That was to be expected, imo. They warned Lakers fans that if the Dwight/Nash deal didn't work out, we'd be in for some very lean years.

Since then, they have done a very good job of gathering draft picks and putting together a talented young core group. If things continue in that direction, I'd have no problem with Jim sticking around as long as he shuts the fuck up and quits running around telling everyone that the Lakers are getting every top tier FA out there.

Even if he doesn't have the final say - He has the appearance of being a part owner that is active in the company. Every organize goes through it's ups and downs. The biggest mistake the Lakers made was signing Kobe to 50 million for the last two years when Kobe was done. No one wanted to play with Kobe, and I would bet you that the Lakers made a huge profit from that farewell tour. It's going to take some time and like I said before - three years is not enough time. I think they are on the right track now and have made enough progress to justify Jim staying and I think they will spin it that way and see if it sticks like fly paper and the only way Jim is gone is if there was revolution. It would be the fans with the $$$$ that will dictate that though - Not nobodies like us - Just saying

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The biggest mistake the Lakers made was signing Kobe to 50 million for the last two years when Kobe was done.

I disagree. It was actually very smart. They made far more money by having Kobe on the roster than they paid him (or would have made without him). They maintained enough cap space to land another max FA if they could have gotten one.

No one wanted to play with Kobe, and I would bet you that the Lakers made a huge profit from that farewell tour.

No one was coming because playing alongside Kobe no longer meant a guaranteed deep playoff run. The fact that they made huge profits off of him being on the roster is why signing him to that deal was actually a smart move. If you're going to be terrible, you may as well make a lot of money while doing so.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree. It was actually very smart. They made far more money by having Kobe on the roster than they paid him (or would have made without him). They maintained enough cap space to land another max FA if they could have gotten one.

No one was coming because playing alongside Kobe because it no longer meant a guaranteed deep playoff run. The fact that they made huge profits off of him being on the roster is why signing him to that deal was actually a smart move. If you're going to be terrible, you may as well make a lot of money while doing so.
Mitch disclosed his conversations last summer with free agent's

Mitch: You get a chance to play with Kobe
FA: But he is injured and hasn't been relevant for several years. There's nothing to play with
Mitch: We got Randle
FA - but he was injured to and hasn't played a game yet

This was the reason - Jerry Buss traded Shaq and resigned Kobe - it wasn't a reboot from the start. Yes they made money on Kobe - I don't argue that - but there is a price to pay - and it came at the expense of developing a team by letting it absolute bottom. So now it will take time to rebuild and they will rebuild it. Jim Buss and the staff are not going anywhere. In a few more years - happier times will prevail, but after our rookies are a team and a force. I am excited actually to see what Randle and Russell can do with Ingram.