• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lakers are DONE for a while

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea TJFan12 I agree but is it not all the more reason to have a strong scouting department because ALL players start out as rookies and somebody noticed them in high school or college. The Lakers are going to have to rebuild the scouting department that Short Buss dismantled in some egomanical rage when Phil left.

That is correct that Wesley Johnson and Nick Young did not fulfill their envisioned potential but I believe that their desire to play for the Lakers may align the realization of that "potential" with better play that somebody thought was worth that high of selection. The same goes for Farmar who recently stated he is excited about returning to the Lakers, the only team he said he ever wanted to play for!

Of course the way the league has changed with the new CBA may make the practice of pirating FAs as the modus operandi and not so much depending on a scouting department. However, I'd much rather in-house scour the landscape for those special players that eventually lead to championships than make signing FAs the primary way to do business in the NBA.

:agree: Didn't mean to infer that the scouting department shouldn't be re-built (although from my post I can see why it looked like that). I just think that with the one and dones, it seems more and more high draft choices aren't panning out anymore!!

Having said that, the Lakers have always managed to get solid to very good role players in the later part of the draft (Michael Cooper and Fish to name 2), that is directly attributable to the scouting department!! I'm not sure many outside of the Lakers and Jerry West, saw what kind of player Kobe could become either, which is also speaks to the scouting!!

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree shopson67. We may just see an attitude change in Johnson and Young whereby they play to the expected level they were drafted. Then we have something and we don't necessarily have to run after max player contracts but continue to search for that elite talent and re-sign the new signees to bigger contracts while ridding the team of aging players who have become overpaid.

There is definitely a lot to be said for getting a young, talented player into the right situation!!

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No problem TJFan12. No the extent of the Lakers fan that you are, I was providing a readable reminder of what we both want when it comes to the scouting department in Lakerland. It is all good. I am cautiously optimistic that the team they have assembled may just surprise a lot of folks this year. It'll be fun to watch.

besaesa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I look forward to seeing what we have with this roster this year. Melo and or Lebron is not really going to be the answer for the Lakers going forward. Melo has to have the ball in his hands all the time to be effective and it may not work with Kobe as he is still going to be playing. There are going to be a lot of potential free agents and we need to look at how we can build our next dynasty with the draft and free agency. Also am I the only one that would prefer Jeannie to run the show?

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No besaesa. There are several threads here on the Lakers pages where we discussed the Jeannie versus Short Buss dilemma and the majority favor the former over the latter concerning running the Lakers. Check it out and you can get caught up on that topic.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I look forward to seeing what we have with this roster this year. Melo and or Lebron is not really going to be the answer for the Lakers going forward. Melo has to have the ball in his hands all the time to be effective and it may not work with Kobe as he is still going to be playing. There are going to be a lot of potential free agents and we need to look at how we can build our next dynasty with the draft and free agency. Also am I the only one that would prefer Jeannie to run the show?

I think that Lebron would be a much better fit in D'Antoni's offense than 'Melo!! We already saw 'Melo in the D'Antoni system in New York. The offense comes to a screeching halt because 'Melo is a ballstopper!! Lebron, would basically be a bigger, faster Magic Johnson in that offense!!

Not saying the Lakers get or even particularly need either one, but of the 2, Lebron would be a better fit!!

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree TJfan12. To tell you the truth, with Greg Oden signing with the Heat, I am fairly certain from what I am hearing that LeBron has little interest in coming to the Lakers and the Lakers, after getting burned by Dwightmare, are not in a hurry in wooing the guy either.

What I see, is the Lakers have a good year with all the young new talent and they will use their cleared books to keep many of the newbies. I see them going after younger talent with keeping an eye on LeBron. I think Pat Riley and Spolestra have pretty much sold LeBron on the notion of more championships in his future. I think he'll resign with the Heat.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that Lebron would be a much better fit in D'Antoni's offense than 'Melo!! We already saw 'Melo in the D'Antoni system in New York. The offense comes to a screeching halt because 'Melo is a ballstopper!! Lebron, would basically be a bigger, faster Magic Johnson in that offense!!

Not saying the Lakers get or even particularly need either one, but of the 2, Lebron would be a better fit!!

I would assume that D'Antoni won't be back for that season unless miracles happen this season.

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Lakers win the lottery next year then I'm officially done watching the NBA... it's already rigged enough.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Lakers win the lottery next year then I'm officially done watching the NBA... it's already rigged enough.

Uh, okay?!?:wtf2:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhQql-ZbZmg]Tombstone Well, bye short version - YouTube[/ame]

Big Red Slugs

Captain Hook
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hola gents!

I like the Rambis signing because it indicates either Jim Buss is softening on the anti-Philness or Jeanie is exerting influence in personnel. Either way, it's a good sign.

Nonetheless I still think the Lakers are DONE for a while as well.

Our FO is all kinds of jacked up right now. Our coaching staff is a hodge-podge, again. We're not getting LeBron next summer. And I'd vomit if the Lakers commit to Melo's final years.

I'm on the 'Tank for Wiggins' bandwagon, personally. Kobe needs to shoot for the scoring title, Nash needs to remain an afterthought, Pau should be benched, and we need to rely on Steve Blake more often. More or less, let D'Antoni do his thing. Jim Buss could be a genius after all.

#1BostonFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.40
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lakers will land a star next summer, we all know it.

Black Adam

Cowards WILL BE cowards..
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hola gents!

I like the Rambis signing because it indicates either Jim Buss is softening on the anti-Philness or Jeanie is exerting influence in personnel. Either way, it's a good sign.

Nonetheless I still think the Lakers are DONE for a while as well.

Our FO is all kinds of jacked up right now. Our coaching staff is a hodge-podge, again. We're not getting LeBron next summer. And I'd vomit if the Lakers commit to Melo's final years.

I'm on the 'Tank for Wiggins' bandwagon, personally. Kobe needs to shoot for the scoring title, Nash needs to remain an afterthought, Pau should be benched, and we need to rely on Steve Blake more often. More or less, let D'Antoni do his thing. Jim Buss could be a genius after all.

haha, whattup, BRS? lol was beginning to wonder if you went on permanent hiatus for a sec...

agree with your take on the Rambis signing. imo it was totally necessary to see SOME kind of commitment to the defensive side of the ball. and Rambis' influence there will be helpful...

also agree about LBJ not coming here...not that it makes me unhappy. i keep saying he's not needed to win titles. now i know where TF12 is coming from and i respect the guy's opinion, but don't want him AND can do it without him. as for 'Melo? guy's a good player and scorer, but it's really hard to argue that he'd ever get out of his mindset as a "stat machine"...

here's my thought on "tanking", though. IF Kobe comes back and is basically who he was BEFORE his latest injury i doubt VERY seriously we'll tank. i'm figuring the Lakers will probably end up a lower seed playoff team again. so i highly doubt we'll see Wiggins in a Lakers jersey. not trying to pop anyone's bubble, but i just don't see it. i could be wrong, though...

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sup BRS!!

I don't think this roster is bad enough to tank low enough to have a good chance of landing the #1 pick in the draft lottery. I think the front office has put together a low seeded playoff team with a higher ceiling depending on health. If Nash, Kobe, and Pau are able to stay healthy, I think this team could win more games than last season.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lakers will just need to find a diamond in the rough in the draft instead of one of the can't miss guys at the top. It will be fun just being able to watch the draft knowing the Lakers will have a 1st round pick. They haven't kept one since 2007 (Javaris Crittenton).

Big Red Slugs

Captain Hook
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You guys are right, the Lakers will probably end up a low-seeded playoff team again.

What I'm saying though is that I'd rather see them tank than sit in the middle another season, because outside of LeBron I don't see any available players next summer that are the type of guy we need to replace Kobe.

Regardless, every team is overly optimistic before the season starts, and I think the Lakers roster has the makings of a perfect tank-fest right now. Ha.

Brother

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't think Paul George is available but he sure looks the part of a Laker. Be a good fit.

Black Adam

Cowards WILL BE cowards..
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You guys are right, the Lakers will probably end up a low-seeded playoff team again.

What I'm saying though is that I'd rather see them tank than sit in the middle another season, because outside of LeBron I don't see any available players next summer that are the type of guy we need to replace Kobe.

Regardless, every team is overly optimistic before the season starts, and I think the Lakers roster has the makings of a perfect tank-fest right now. Ha.

hehe, then simply replace the word "think" with hope, THEN we woulda knew where you were comin' from...:lol: