• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lakers 2017-2018 Season Thread

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice win last night against Memphis. We had some late scoring and defensive play that have been absent here of late. 32-40. We may make 35 wins this year which will be a nice step in the right direction. Meanwhile, Philly will make the play-offs which is finally a turn for the better for them.

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice win last night against Memphis. We had some late scoring and defensive play that have been absent here of late. 32-40. We may make 35 wins this year which will be a nice step in the right direction. Meanwhile, Philly will make the play-offs which is finally a turn for the better for them.
And philly is set up with draft picks. They are going are going to be scary good.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree tomodach. Philly has finally figured-out that they can't keep threatening guys with trades, changing rosters every six weeks (kidding) and still develop a winner, something the Lakers seemed to be teetering on the verge of doing. They indeed will challenge Boston and Cleveland in the future for the top seed.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This team looked mentally depleted last night falling to Detroit. Yep, we are done for this year with under 10 left to go.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good comeback win against Dallas at home as we are officially eliminated from play-off contention. Now players are playing for roster spots next season and simple pride.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We are done with IT for sure.

Not so sure about that. Luke has high praise for him and the players love him. Getting surgery on his hip likely lowers his asking price for at least this off-season.

I can see 2 scenarios in which the Lakers re-sign him...

1.)The Lakers get the 2 max guys they want, IT isn't being offered the money he wants, sees the opportunity to be a contender, agrees to play a 6th man, 'instant offense' off the bench role and signs for less money.

2.)The Lakers get only 1 or no max guys this off-season, IT isn't offered the kind of money he's looking for and he and the Lakers agree to another 1 year deal which preserves cap space for 2019 and gives IT the opportunity to earn some money back.

I understand his defensive shortcomings (pun intended) and I wouldn't want him as more than a 6th man/spot starter type role, but he definitely has value because of what he can do offensively. Prior to his injury, he was actually fitting in pretty well. He and Julius Randle had developed a pretty good rapport on the court.

And before anyone starts blaming him for any perceived drop in defense. Luke and the coaches (like Stevens and the Celtics coaches) seem to have figured out how to 'hide him' defensively...the Lakers are 12th in the league defensively since the all star break and 13th in the league for the season. So the defense has actually slightly improved since IT joined the team.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good comeback win against Dallas at home as we are officially eliminated from play-off contention. Now players are playing for roster spots next season and simple pride.

Ingrams back and it looks like Josh Hart will be back tonight. Lonzo is questionable with a left knee contusion. Hopefully he plays or doesn't miss any more than tonight's game. It would be nice to see the young guys able to play out the rest of the season and build some momentum going into the off-season.

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not so sure about that. Luke has high praise for him and the players love him. Getting surgery on his hip likely lowers his asking price for at least this off-season.

I can see 2 scenarios in which the Lakers re-sign him...

1.)The Lakers get the 2 max guys they want, IT isn't being offered the money he wants, sees the opportunity to be a contender, agrees to play a 6th man, 'instant offense' off the bench role and signs for less money.

2.)The Lakers get only 1 or no max guys this off-season, IT isn't offered the kind of money he's looking for and he and the Lakers agree to another 1 year deal which preserves cap space for 2019 and gives IT the opportunity to earn some money back.

I understand his defensive shortcomings (pun intended) and I wouldn't want him as more than a 6th man/spot starter type role, but he definitely has value because of what he can do offensively. Prior to his injury, he was actually fitting in pretty well. He and Julius Randle had developed a pretty good rapport on the court.

And before anyone starts blaming him for any perceived drop in defense. Luke and the coaches (like Stevens and the Celtics coaches) seem to have figured out how to 'hide him' defensively...the Lakers are 12th in the league defensively since the all star break and 13th in the league for the season. So the defense has actually slightly improved since IT joined the team.
The Lakers are class, they would not bash a player. They are just saying the right things, but IMO IT is done with the Lakers. IT is damaged, why would the Lakers want him???

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Lakers are class, they would not bash a player. They are just saying the right things, but IMO IT is done with the Lakers. IT is damaged, why would the Lakers want him???

I agree that the Lakers wouldn't bash him, but there's also no reason to praise him as highly as Luke and his teammates did if they didn't feel that way. Could have simply said, we like the guy, he played hard for us. They went pretty far beyond that.

We don't know how damaged he is/isn't. He's having surgery, which he probably already should have during the off-season. Now that he's had it, it'll be about how quickly and fully he can recover.

Assuming he can play at the level he was, or close too it before the hip injury, the Lakers would want him for the offense he provides on the floor. He has fit in pretty well and would be a very good 6th man.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One thing I think we can all agree on with this team is loving the fight in them. They just don't quit. Tough L last night, but they come all the way back from down 20 to tie the game and force OT. They quickly fall behind by 9 and then come back again to almost win...

That kind of fight will serve them well in future seasons when they are a relevant team. It doesn't seem to matter who is on the floor either, they all seem to have that same fight in them. Last night, much of the comeback was from a lineup that consisted of Ivica Zubac, Alex Caruso, Kyle Kuzma, Tyler Ennis and Channing Frye. :shocked:

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree that the Lakers wouldn't bash him, but there's also no reason to praise him as highly as Luke and his teammates did if they didn't feel that way. Could have simply said, we like the guy, he played hard for us. They went pretty far beyond that.

We don't know how damaged he is/isn't. He's having surgery, which he probably already should have during the off-season. Now that he's had it, it'll be about how quickly and fully he can recover.

Assuming he can play at the level he was, or close too it before the hip injury, the Lakers would want him for the offense he provides on the floor. He has fit in pretty well and would be a very good 6th man.
If he wants to come off the bench, but if he feels he is 100% healed or effective, he will want to return to the NBA as a starter. He is too much of a defensive liability IMO.

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am getting worried about Ingram's duribility going foward.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he wants to come off the bench, but if he feels he is 100% healed or effective, he will want to return to the NBA as a starter. He is too much of a defensive liability IMO.

I agree. That's why the 2 scenarios that I posted are the only ones that I would be willing to re-sign him under if the decision were mine. I just don't see him as a starter on a contending team. I could, however, see him as an "instant offense off the bench" 6th man type role (think "The Microwave" from the Bad Boy Pistons).

If he insists on starting or demands big money...then let him go someplace else. But if he wants to take on that 6th man role...he can be a very valuable part of a contending team.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His physical health and its ramifications for basketball performance post-surgery are probably going to be the biggest determinant if Magic/Pelinka even consider bringing him back in ANY capacity.

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lonzo has missed 22 games and Ingram 16. That has been key to this season. These guys have to stay healthy next year. If they continue to be injury prone, our rebuilding efforts will take another big step back. I am concerned.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lonzo has missed 22 games and Ingram 16. That has been key to this season. These guys have to stay healthy next year. If they continue to be injury prone, our rebuilding efforts will take another big step back. I am concerned.

I think the Lakers are just being cautious because this season isn't about wins. If they were in the playoff hunt, I'm betting they wouldn't have missed nearly as many games.

They have waited for them to be 100% before putting them back out there. You don't do that when you are in a playoff hunt.