• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Kobe Bryant Whining About the Hornets, 18 Years Later

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Vlade threatened to retire before playing for Charlotte. Sounds like Kobe made the right call.

Shoveyjoe

El Flaco
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kobe pulled an Elway. I really could careless about him doing it. What I find funny is all the Kobe homers coming out to defend the move. He wanted to play for LA, players have been doing this for years. What I can't stand is people defending Kobe behavior and then bash Lebron for similar behavior.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kobe pulled an Elway. I really could careless about him doing it. What I find funny is all the Kobe homers coming out to defend the move. He wanted to play for LA, players have been doing this for years. What I can't stand is people defending Kobe behavior and then bash Lebron for similar behavior.

Many things wrong with this. It was not similar behavior. Kobe was not even in the NBA at the time, he hadn't played for an NBA team for 7 years, promised their fans a title and then skipped town when he couldn't get one.

Kobe also didn't hold a nationally televised hour long special so that he could "dump them" in front of the whole country.

Looks to me like Kobe was much more up front about his intentions than Lebron was. You can try to defend Lebron all you want, but there is a huge difference between what Kobe did and what Lebron did.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shoveyjoe

El Flaco
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Many things wrong with this. It was not similar behavior. Kobe was not even in the NBA at the time, he hadn't played for an NBA team for 7 years, promised their fans a title and then skipped town when he couldn't get one.

Kobe also didn't hold a nationally televised hour long special so that he could "dump them" in front of the whole country.

Looks to me like Kobe was much more up front about his intentions than Lebron was. You can try to defend Lebron all you want, but there is a huge difference between what Kobe did and what Lebron did.

1.) I wasn't trying to defend Lebron, I have said multiple times that the decision and the celebration were beyond tacky and I was probably one of the few Heat fans that felt horrible for Cleveland. So nice try. I simply find it hilarious that some Laker fans bash Lebron for arrogance when I can think of few players more arrogant than Kobe.

2.) Many players promise team's championships and dont get it done. He played out his contract and then opted to leave. I dont see the problem. Did he do all he could to win during those 7 years? yes. Did he complain and try to force a trade like Kobe did? no

3.) Yes, he wasnt even in the NBA yet and was acting like a Diva. Lebron is a Diva too. Just call it like it is.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1.) I wasn't trying to defend Lebron, I have said multiple times that the decision and the celebration were beyond tacky and I was probably one of the few Heat fans that felt horrible for Cleveland. So nice try. I simply find it hilarious that some Laker fans bash Lebron for arrogance when I can think of few players more arrogant than Kobe.

2.) Many players promise team's championships and dont get it done. He played out his contract and then opted to leave. I dont see the problem. Did he do all he could to win during those 7 years? yes. Did he complain and try to force a trade like Kobe did? no

3.) Yes, he wasnt even in the NBA yet and was acting like a Diva. Lebron is a Diva too. Just call it like it is.

1.) This is where you are wrong. I have yet to meet the Lakers fan that DOESN'T think Kobe is arrogant. Lakers fans don't bash Lebron for his arrogance, we bash him for what he did to Cleveland's fans, his behavior for pretty much an entire year afterwards and some bash him for going to play with 2 other superstars (I'm not one of them though). Basically, Lakers fans bash him for the exact same thing that you didn't like re: him coming to Miami.

2.) Name another player that promised a fanbase championships, didn't deliver and then left. Once again, Lakers fans bash him for the WAY he left Cleveland (same as you), not BECAUSE he left Cleveland. As for your last point: Yes, Kobe complained and STAYED, Lebron didn't.

3.) I agree. I didn't like when Elway did it, I didn't like when Eli Manning did it and I don't like that Kobe did it. I think that if you are fortunate enough to be drafted to play for a professional sports franchise, you should go to the team that drafted you. Nothing wrong with making a preference known and maybe those 2 teams work out a trade (as ultimately happened with Kobe). But the player himself shouldn't be forcing the trade by saying "I won't play for you" (which is also what happened with Kobe). Basically, like you with Lebron, I like that Kobe came to the Lakers, but not HOW he came to the Lakers.

RobToxin

Roid Raging
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.08
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think every great athlete, including Tim Duncan, has a certain degree of arrogance to them. I don't think they can get to that level (be it NBA, NFL, MLB, etc) without it.
They just have to have an attitude that says "I am the best fucking basketball player you can have on your team" to make it to that level.
Especially to make it to that level and win.
Some just display that arrogance differently than others.

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're all just jealous he didn't want to play for your favorite team.

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean, look, your panties are still getting twisted over it.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think every great athlete, including Tim Duncan, has a certain degree of arrogance to them. I don't think they can get to that level (be it NBA, NFL, MLB, etc) without it.
They just have to have an attitude that says "I am the best fucking basketball player you can have on your team" to make it to that level.

:agree: I don't think it's just great athlete's either. Most successful people have an arrogance to them. A large part of being the best at something is believing you are the best at it.

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Tim Duncan doesn't talk to a rookie Tony Parker all season, he's an incredible leader and person.

Kobe doesn't talk to a rookie teammate? Well, he's just an asshole.

People are funny.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree that Kobe is an arrogant ass, and I don't like him all that much. But I respect his game. I just don't see the need to bring up something that happened 18 years ago where none of us truly knows what happens.

Both Kobe and Lebron's situations are entirely different. Kobe was fortunate enough to be traded to a championship organization that doesn't have its collective head up its ass like Cleveland. However, Lebron's first year in Miami - as pointed out earlier in this thread - wasn't exactly smooth sailing and handled well on Lebron's end.

Jims_Doors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree that Kobe is an arrogant ass, and I don't like him all that much. But I respect his game. I just don't see the need to bring up something that happened 18 years ago where none of us truly knows what happens.

Both Kobe and Lebron's situations are entirely different. Kobe was fortunate enough to be traded to a championship organization that doesn't have its collective head up its ass like Cleveland. However, Lebron's first year in Miami - as pointed out earlier in this thread - wasn't exactly smooth sailing and handled well on Lebron's end.

He never demanded to be traded from Charlotte because the planned trade between the 2 teams was already in place before the draft even started. Kobe knew what was going to happen if he was still there at #13 for Charlotte to take him.

The reason he was there at #13 was because the only other team the was interested in him and were going to draft him at #8 was the New Jersey Nets. So Kobe's camp did what the had to do to make sure he made it to #13 and that was tell John Calipari and the Nets that Kobe would not sign with them and threatened that Kobe would play in Italy before signing with them.

Kobe's tweet makes it sound as if the rug was pulled out from under him and was blindsided by the news that he was getting traded. He knew the entire time what was going to happen.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jims_Doors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:bullshit:

Again, where does it say he refused?

There's a difference between wanting to play for a championship contender and a bottom feeder. But he never demanded a trade or refused to play for another team prior to the draft.

Not true. Calipari and the Nets were told not to draft him, because there was no chance Kobe would sign with them.

LAKERSUSCBAM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

On point from a Heat fan....who cares how it happened. Bottom line he's still a Laker 18 years and counting. The only thing is certain that Hornets have regretted it ever since.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He never demanded to be traded from Charlotte because the planned trade between the 2 teams was already in place before the draft even started. Kobe knew what was going to happen if he was still there at #13 for Charlotte to take him.

The reason he was there at #13 was because the only other team the was interested in him and were going to draft him at #8 was the New Jersey Nets. So Kobe's camp did what the had to do to make sure he made it to #13 and that was tell John Calipari and the Nets that Kobe would not sign with them and threatened that Kobe would play in Italy before signing with them.

Kobe's tweet makes it sound as if the rug was pulled out from under him and was blindsided by the news that he was getting traded. He knew the entire time what was going to happen.

If that's true, I honestly can't blame him. Outside of Cleveland, the Nets are terrible and who the hell would want to stay in New Jersey.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not true. Calipari and the Nets were told not to draft him, because there was no chance Kobe would sign with them.

Yep, even though it wasn't necessarily done publically, Kobe made sure that it was known that they'd be wasting their pick.

Also, Duke wanted him bad and Kobe strongly considered playing there because he has tremendous respect for Coach K.

I'd be willing to bet that he knew how things were going to play out even before he announced he was going to the NBA.

Jims_Doors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If that's true, I honestly can't blame him. Outside of Cleveland, the Nets are terrible and who the hell would want to stay in New Jersey.
It's true.

The whole point is he was a 17yr old who came from money and was obviously never told that it is a privilege to play professional sports...... NOT an entitlement. He could have easily played out his rookie contract in Jersey and then figure out how to get to LA.

Kobe fans like to rib James for taking the easy way, but it's quite clear Kobe did the same thing except he didn't play for (and carry) one of the worst franchises in NBA history for 7yrs before doing so.

Jims_Doors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep, even though it wasn't necessarily done publically, Kobe made sure that it was known that they'd be wasting their pick.

Also, Duke wanted him bad and Kobe strongly considered playing there because he has tremendous respect for Coach K.

I'd be willing to bet that he knew how things were going to play out even before he announced he was going to the NBA.
Or maybe he didn't?

Aug. 2013.

Bryant stirred up the discussion last week when he told Jimmy Kimmel that he would’ve played for North Carolina, not Duke, if he’d decided to go to school instead of opting to enter the 1996 NBA draft.

From the Los Angeles Times:
Defying urban legend that he was Duke-bound, had he gone to college instead of the NBA straight out of high school, Bryant said he was leaning toward North Carolina. "I love [Duke Coach Mike Krzyzewski]," Bryant said. "The truth has to come out."

Why North Carolina? Vince Carter, a Tar Heel, was one of the top guards in the country at the time. "I want to play against him, every single day," Bryant said.

Kobe Bryant would have chosen UNC Tar Heels over Duke Blue Devils - ESPN

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Or maybe he didn't?

Aug. 2013.

Bryant stirred up the discussion last week when he told Jimmy Kimmel that he would’ve played for North Carolina, not Duke, if he’d decided to go to school instead of opting to enter the 1996 NBA draft.

From the Los Angeles Times:
Defying urban legend that he was Duke-bound, had he gone to college instead of the NBA straight out of high school, Bryant said he was leaning toward North Carolina. "I love [Duke Coach Mike Krzyzewski]," Bryant said. "The truth has to come out."

Why North Carolina? Vince Carter, a Tar Heel, was one of the top guards in the country at the time. "I want to play against him, every single day," Bryant said.

Kobe Bryant would have chosen UNC Tar Heels over Duke Blue Devils - ESPN

Interesting. That was the word for pretty much Kobe's whole career, that he was going to Duke because of Coach K. Looks like another "urban legend" is de-bunked? Or is Kobe messing with folks? From the same article:

In 2007, however, Bryant hypothetically committed to Duke.

From GoDuke.com:
Often times Duke fans wonder if Kobe Bryant had not gone directly to the NBA out of high school if he “maybe” would have attended Duke and been a part of that team.

“There’s no maybe about it,” Bryant says. “Every time I turn on the TV and see Cameron Indoor Stadium, see everybody in Krzyzewskiville and see the Crazies jumping up and down with the intensity and the building almost shaking, I wonder what it would have been like to play there with Corey [Maggette] and Elton [Brand] and all those guys."

In fact, Bryant would’ve been a junior on the 1999 team that featured two future National Players of the Year in Brand and Shane Battier along with Maggette, William Avery, Trajan Langdon and Chris Carrawell, among others.

Instead, Bryant entered the NBA via the No. 13 pick of the 1996 draft and went on to earn his first trophy as winner of the Gatorade Slam Dunk Championship at the 1997 All-Star Weekend. By 1998 he had started an All-Star game and by 1999, he had become the youngest player in NBA history named to an all-NBA team and in 2000, he was the youngest player ever to earn all-defense honors, as well. Ten years into his career he has won three NBA Championships and was also the MVP of the 2002 All-Star game.

But if you ask Coach K what it would’ve been like to coach Bryant in college, he responds by saying, “I don’t day dream. I have enough to think about with my current team than to think what might have been.”

:noidea:

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Kobe's bored and needs some attention. So he stirred the pot to rope everyone in.