• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Klay Thompson says he's the best SG in the NBA.

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you could argue that...

1) Klay isn't even the best SG on his own team.
2) The three best SGs in the NBA don't even play SG.

Positions in the NBA don't really matter anymore. Basically the only way we're determining positions anymore in the NBA is by height. Center is tallest. PG is smallest, and everyone else fits somewhere inbetween.

The way Point Guards are being developed now a days is that they're generally all some form of combo guard. The PG position isn't classified anymore as a distributing type of guard, but "lead" guard. SG has been relegated to a second class citizen.

As I mentioned Harden is the only one I considered out of the 3 mentioned as being able to be a franchise player on a championship caliber team. That's because he has the potential to be that "lead" guard, which he does on the Rockets right now.

Butler and Thompson are both great at what they do, but they're not going to carry a team. That could be said about the entire NBA about the SG position. You're not going to see a Wade or Kobe type truly dominate the game, because the game has evolved.

Look at the top 2's right now in the NBA:

Harden, Thompson, Butler, Derozan, Wiggins, Bledsoe, Oladipo, McCollum, Beal, Redick etc.

The position is losing value because of what is required from players these days. Other than Harden, there are no "Franchise" players there.

Xulu Bak

Hoopla Cash
$ 148.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Positions in the NBA don't really matter anymore...

That's more or less the point I was making. If you're trying to build a team from scratch, then Harden may be the best option of the guys officially listed as a "SG" to be your #1 ball-handling, offensive guy, but there are quite a few I'm taking over him listed as "PG" or "SF."

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This one is pretty clear cut. Butler is the best SG in the NBA.

Kold

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm telling you, GS is gonna become the villian of the NBA next year if, or when they win the title this year. All of the main guys sort of have these cocky traits about themselves at times, and personally I really like it..but I think the haters are gonna come out in full force if they dominate going into next year

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This one is pretty clear cut. Butler is the best SG in the NBA.

I don't think it's as clear cut as you make it seem, but I would agree Butler is probably better.

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey @HammerDown , delete this for me. Just realized how stupid I sound :L

Why?

It's an interesting debate.

If Beal wasn't so fragile, he'd probably be top 5.

What are we calling Wiggins?

He plays a lot of minutes at the off guard position.

But, I think he will be a sf after he bulls up.

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think it's as clear cut as you make it seem, but I would agree Butler is probably better.

By a hair.

Klay is the better shooter, especially from 3pts range.

That could be because he plays next to a guy who hits 40 footers like they are free throws.

Jimmy is the better defender and can create for himself and others better.

Again, Klay plays next to Curry. So, maybe he could distribute, create more....

But, he doesn't have to.

I'd take Klay.....because I'm seduced by offense.

But, I can admit that Jimmy is better.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The distance between PG & SG and SF & PF is getting smaller and smaller each year. Its basically Guard, Forward, and Center these days.

Interestingly, there is even less difference between a SG and an SF. 2s and 3s are almost 100% interchangeable in most offenses.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, centers are becoming extinct in lower levels of basketball.

At the high school level, most teams have 3 or 4 guards and 1 or 2 forwards on the court at a given time. Gone are the days where the 6'3" guy plays center because he is the tallest on the team. He might still guard your big, but he ain't a center.