• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Kevin McHale just got fired

Bolts

Depressed Sports Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,019.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
McHale wasn't the one who let players blow by him all the time(Lawson, Harden, etc) or the one missing a bunch of 3's. I'm not surprised, but when a team that is supposed to contend is failing like they are somebody has to take the blame and it's usually the coach.

Reactions: DJ

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,806.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
McHale wasn't the one who let players blow by him all the time(Lawson, Harden, etc) or the one missing a bunch of 3's. I'm not surprised, but when a team that is supposed to contend is failing like they are somebody has to take the blame and it's usually the coach.

While this is true often.....let's not pretend McHale was Phil Jackson or Red Auerbach or even Pat Riley.

Bolts

Depressed Sports Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,019.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While this is true often.....let's not pretend McHale was Phil Jackson or Red Auerbach or even Pat Riley.
I'm definitely not saying he's been a great coach, but it's not like he is calling plays in close games that cost them wins. The Rockets are playing their style of basketball(shoot 3's and avg defense on the perimeter) and it's getting them blown out multiple times.

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, please hire JVG. I'm so tired of hearing his dumb ass on the microphone.

Bolts

Depressed Sports Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,019.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
James+Harden+Creepy.gif

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope they don't hire Thibodeau....cuz I want him to take over for the Knicks when Fisher gets fired....

The good news is if the Rockets hire Thibodeau, than the Knicks still have Kevin McHale as their back up choice.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I've never understood this argument. In any business, if the employees are not reaching the goals of the organization and the manager has gone through several employee changes over a long period of time to try and fix it without success, IMO the owner has no choice but to fire the manager.

Lakers+USC=#1

Fuck CBS
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think 11 games into a season is too fast to fire a coach, but whatever.

I think a lot of people are giving Howard a pass. This guy is only averaging 15 and 12. He's playing like he's not a top 5 big man in the league. He deserves some blame because if he was playing like the Howard we know that can give you 20+ points, 15+ rebounds, and dominating defense, this team would be playing better.

Hambombs

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Rockets are 2 games better than the Lakers......that's just unacceptable.

Even with a new PG learning their system. This team is freaking loaded and after getting Lawson were the early faves to get to the Finals out of the West.

In what universe were they the faves? Lol that would be the spurs and warriors

Bolts

Depressed Sports Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,019.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've never understood this argument. In any business, if the employees are not reaching the goals of the organization and the manager has gone through several employee changes over a long period of time to try and fix it without success, IMO the owner has no choice but to fire the manager.
The Rockets made the WCF last year which I'd guess was a success even if it seemed more about the Clippers losing than HOU winning. A lot of the problems can be on the coach, but you also don't maintain or gain long term success if you keep changing employees. It's not a surprise he was fired, but I don't expect it to change the problems they have.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Rockets made the WCF last year which I'd guess was a success even if it seemed more about the Clippers losing than HOU winning. A lot of the problems can be on the coach, but you also don't maintain or gain long term success if you keep changing employees. It's not a surprise he was fired, but I don't expect it to change the problems they have.

If it doesn't get better, then you go after the GM next. The bottom line is, McHale was given a HECK of a lot of talent in Houston. They haven't lived up to the hype. Whether it was poor play, or injuries, or a mixture of both, McHale doesn't seem to be the guy to put them over the hump. They've got multi year multi million dollar contracts wrapped up in these high end athletes, and they really do suck this year so far. You can't cut the players, so why not get a new coach?

IMO, it's not so much a player problem as it is a lack of direction and motivation problem. That comes from the coach. A new coach may be able to come in and give them the right direction and motivation.

Bolts

Depressed Sports Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,019.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If it doesn't get better, then you go after the GM next. The bottom line is, McHale was given a HECK of a lot of talent in Houston. They haven't lived up to the hype. Whether it was poor play, or injuries, or a mixture of both, McHale doesn't seem to be the guy to put them over the hump. They've got multi year multi million dollar contracts wrapped up in these high end athletes, and they really do suck this year so far. You can't cut the players, so why not get a new coach?

IMO, it's not so much a player problem as it is a lack of direction and motivation problem. That comes from the coach. A new coach may be able to come in and give them the right direction and motivation.
Now with a new coach, we'll truly find out if is a player problem or a coach problem. If the struggles continue, then it'll be hard to say it was because of McHale. They do suck and like I said I'm not surprised they fired him because they sure as hell weren't going to fire/trade Harden, Lawson, Dwight, etc. The shooting should improve over time, but I'm not sold on the perimeter defense getting better.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,806.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In what universe were they the faves? Lol that would be the spurs and warriors

A lot of experts were saying they thought Lawson could catapult them to the top of the WCF. Sorry if you don't like it being a Warriors homer and all.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,806.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The good news is if the Rockets hire Thibodeau, than the Knicks still have Kevin McHale as their back up choice.

You really think the Knicks will fire Fisher when they are playing fairly well?