• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Keeper Rule Discussion

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not everyone likes the same things. Restrictions make keeper decisions more challenging. In my keeper league, only 3 of the top 30 players are keeper eligible this year. This makes draft day far more interesting than a league where you just keep your 3 best studs.

IMO, keeper leagues without any restrictions take the fun away. I think it is important that whatever restrictions you have make sense though. It seems that the restrictions in Joe's league A do not make sense. They actual rule does not properly align with the goal to reward shrewd late round pick.

:agree: If you want the elite guys to never move, make it a dynasty league and make drafting really matter.

Bandit

RIP to the real Bandit
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sox, this is good rebuttal fodder. Thanks.

I'm not a big fan of keeper leagues myself. But other than the MBBRL, this is my favorite league (even with these unreasonable keeper owners).

Like tlance eluded to, it's hard to please everyone with the rules.

Pleasing everyone is impossible and in all honesty, the only way to ever get the rules exactly as you would want them is to start your own league. That's what I did, I got tired of being pigeonholed into 2RB, 3WR, & 1TE, so I decided that I wanted flex options galore. In my league we start 2 RB, 2 WR/TE, and 2 RB/WR/TE. I got tired of a guy rushing for 99 yards and only getting 9 points so I installed decimal scoring so it's worth 9.9 now. I got tired of people getting to keep people for multiple years, so I instituted the you can only keep them for one year rule. I got tired of online drafts, so mine is live every year. And now I'm happy :10:

Bandit

RIP to the real Bandit
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Holy crap guys my keeper rules would blow you away ( or scare ya away )
it borders dynasty but not quite because of the keeper values
there isn't enough room here to explain my rules
the basic ones are

no player drafted in the first 3 rounds can be kept
players cost 1 round draft round higher to keep the following year
it then jumps 2 rounds per year after words

ie draft in 10th this year -costs a 9 next year-a 7th the year after a 5th the next and so on

if you have players you want to keep from the same round you must acquire a 2nd pick in the draft round needed or bump one player or the other up a round

we can keep anywhere from 0 to 10 players
its a 10 team ppr league with 18 draft rounds

anyhow if some one is silly enough to want to see my crazy written rules ill send them the word doc which is 18 pages long 12 or so of the pages contain waiver keeper and roster rules

cheers boys 2 weeks from tomorrow

Wow you and Wil should totally hang out together.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I run a 14 team keeper (going on our 4th year) and we can keep as many, or as few players as we like each year. On average, most teams drop about 3 guys a year, some more. This year our draft was 6 rounds, all rookies and FA's. We just skip picks after the 3rd round once teams are full. Great league. 3 different SB champs in the first 3 years.

Sam Sportboy

Can't all be winners kid
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.74
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with the bolded statement but as far as not having a good option that is mostly the owners fault IMO if you're talking about a league with tenured owners. Plus the way we have ours set up (which I disagree with BTW) there is a supplimental draft for those who only want to keep 1 player. So basically, draft who ever you want but just remember next year you will be keeping one of these guys. To some it may seem boring but to me it seems like it takes a little more stratagy as you are drafting for this year but with next year's potential in mind.....................kinda like an NFL team.

Sorry to be quoting myself but I did leave one pretty important part out of our structure: This draft does not snake and draft order is determined by where you finished last year. So the SB winner will pick last every round just as the last place team will pick first every round............has worked out pretty good to be honest.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry to be quoting myself but I did leave one pretty important part out of our structure: This draft does not snake and draft order is determined by where you finished last year. So the SB winner will pick last every round just as the last place team will pick first every round............has worked out pretty good to be honest.

Do mediocre teams ever tank?

Sam Sportboy

Can't all be winners kid
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.74
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do mediocre teams ever tank?

Well not really............they might trade players for draft picks as they get eliminated but there is a $10 high score bonus every week and during weeks 14-17 only non playoff teams are in that pool.

Barilko

Probably at hockey or some dam concert you tell me
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

oh ya i left out the draft

the 4 teams who finished out of the playoffs will draft 1 2 3 or 4 in rounds 1 and 12 through 18

we have a lottery for those those teams and the winner can move up in round one only

those same 4 teams play a consolation playoff so the winner of that has a little better odds of winning the lottery..

the six teams who made the playoffs draft between spots 5 and 10 depending on playoff results

once set they keep the same spot in rounds 1 and 12 through 18

for rounds 2 through 11 every team drafts in each possible draft position

example i draft 7th in round one then follow in this order

round 2 -7th
round 3-4th
round 4-1st
round 5-8th
round 6-5th
round 7-2nd
round 8-9th
round 9-6th
round 10-3rd
round 11-10th thus in every draft spot then i stay in spot 7 for rounds 12 through 18

confused or bored yet........

leftypower

THE NFL HAS GONE TO HELL
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My league allows up to 2 keepers at different positions. They can only be retained for one year and are slotted in the position they were drafted the previous year. Free agents pick ups are assigned to rd 6. Also, the waiver process does not revert to lowest rank each week, it is strictly rotational based upon accusation(s). Thus there is no automatic reward for a poor draft.

The pluses to this format are; reward for good drafting, reward for good waiver management. Great players become available each year. On the flip-side, picking a potential keeper too early will leave you with a tough decision the following year.

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True story.

This is a separate "keeper" issue. But feel that I must share. I run a 12-team standard league where I'm trying to teach novices the fundamentals of fantasy football. It's in its third year and all of the owners range from age 17 up to 50+ (not including myself). About half the guys "get it" and the other half are slow learners, I guess. Or maybe just mildly interested in FF.

This year, some of the guys that "get it" wanted to have at least one keeper. Any player, no penalty. I offered some keeper rule suggestions and/or alternatives but let the rest of the league decide - and it's all systems go.

I started asking some of these guys who they'd like to keep and the keepers are mind-boggling. Especially since there is no forfeiture of a pick. One guy has Marshall, Forte and Newton and decided to keep Newton (who is ranked significantly lower). Another has McCoy and is going with (lower ranked) Kaps.

I guess I need to let them take their lumps. But it's painful to watch.

Sam Sportboy

Can't all be winners kid
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.74
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True story.

This is a separate "keeper" issue. But feel that I must share. I run a 12-team standard league where I'm trying to teach novices the fundamentals of fantasy football. It's in its third year and all of the owners range from age 17 up to 50+ (not including myself). About half the guys "get it" and the other half are slow learners, I guess. Or maybe just mildly interested in FF.

This year, some of the guys that "get it" wanted to have at least one keeper. Any player, no penalty. I offered some keeper rule suggestions and/or alternatives but let the rest of the league decide - and it's all systems go.

I started asking some of these guys who they'd like to keep and the keepers are mind-boggling. Especially since there is no forfeiture of a pick. One guy has Marshall, Forte and Newton and decided to keep Newton (who is ranked significantly lower). Another has McCoy and is going with (lower ranked) Kaps.

Yup. In my keeper there have been 5 superbowl winners in the last 10 years and I feel our keeper rules are geared towards the teams that don't make the playoffs.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True story.

I understand Newton over Marshall. I don't think it is the right choice, but I at least see where he is coming from. That one is not a slam dunk when you consider all future years. Still though, Keeping any QB in a 10 team league seems unwise.

Bandit

RIP to the real Bandit
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess I need to let them take their lumps. But it's painful to watch.[/QUOTE]

I have the same problem in my league when people turn their keepers in, should I tell them they are morons and what they should do to help teach them or let them make the stupid decision and then tell them why they were wrong afterwards. It's hard every year. This year I let my guys pick their draft order and I have a one keeper in the spot he was drafted the year before rule. One guy kept Arian Foster which was his first round draft pick and then chose 8th to pick. I even said are you sure you want to do that because if you choose 12th then you will get the 1st pick of the 2nd round and he said no I want to pick 8th, so I let him. He just didn't get that having the 13th pick was better than having the 17th pick. He was just thinking that drafting 8th would be better because it was higher. Made no sense whatsoever, but hey as a commissioner I can only do so much.