• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Kawhi wants out of San Antonio

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With those 3 it would be tough. You'd probably need LeBron at 1 and Kawhi at 4 with Ingram at the 2.

They could skip signing George though, LeBron at 1, Ingram at 2, Kawhi at 3. Maybe use that money for a better bench or Boogie Cousins for less than max money? Ingram is only going to make around 5 mil next season, not as good as George (...yet) but certainly nice for that money.

You guys who keep talking about what positions they would play are hilarious.

First, the discussion is irrelevant, because if the Lakers get Kawhi, Ingram will be in the trade.

Second, have you guys been watching basketball over the last few years? Positions are basically irrelevant. If you have versatile defenders who can guard multiple positions, and offensive playmakers surrounded by teammates who can stretch the floor, you have everything you need.

That quartet you just described are 4 of the most versatile players in the NBA. They wouldn't be a lock to beat GS because the Warriors are great. But there is no way that group of players wouldn't work brilliantly.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Spurs told the Celtics that Jaylen Brown, Jason Tatum and the Sacramento pick next year and Kahwi is a Celtic. Ainge basically said that it's out of the question and reiterated that he must speak with Kahwi before he even considers making an offer.

Danny told the media that the only thing anyone knows is that Kahwi has stated that he will play for the Lakers in 2019. He also said that Kahwi may be one of the best, but that every team would want a full medical on his knee since he refused to play after his injury. Every team wants to know if he's 100% committed to playing in LA after next year. And if the Spurs are going to play hard ball.

Pretty much says it all........Ainge is not going to break up the young core of the Celtics. He's not going to deal for a player for just one year. He's not going to take a another player with bad wheels.

Spurs may have a little leverage, but can they afford to NOT trade Kahwi Leonard's attitude?? The longer they wait, the cheaper he'll become. I don't think any team will give up much of anything if they can't sign him to an extension or new multi-year contract.

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First, the discussion is irrelevant, because if the Lakers get Kawhi, Ingram will be in the trade.

Yeah, it's just for fun. What else is there to do in the offseason other than talk about value and speculate about potential teams?

I'm just an average NBA fan, never claimed to be a coach. Sorry if our discussion isn't good enough for you.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Spurs told the Celtics that Jaylen Brown, Jason Tatum and the Sacramento pick next year and Kahwi is a Celtic. Ainge basically said that it's out of the question and reiterated that he must speak with Kahwi before he even considers making an offer.

Danny told the media that the only thing anyone knows is that Kahwi has stated that he will play for the Lakers in 2019. He also said that Kahwi may be one of the best, but that every team would want a full medical on his knee since he refused to play after his injury. Every team wants to know if he's 100% committed to playing in LA after next year. And if the Spurs are going to play hard ball.

Pretty much says it all........Ainge is not going to break up the young core of the Celtics. He's not going to deal for a player for just one year. He's not going to take a another player with bad wheels.

Spurs may have a little leverage, but can they afford to NOT trade Kahwi Leonard's attitude?? The longer they wait, the cheaper he'll become. I don't think any team will give up much of anything if they can't sign him to an extension or new multi-year contract.

As great of a player Kawhi is when healthy I think Ainge is making the right decision.

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Spurs have an interest in keeping talks alive with the Celtics because then the Spurs have 'multiple teams in discussion' and at least the illusion of leverage.

The Celtics have an interest in talking with San Antonio because it drives up the price for other teams such as the Lakers and the 76ers.

I still highly doubt, though, that the Spurs and C's actually deal... for all the reasons @BigKen just stated.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,296.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Ainge was very smart to turn that down.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ainge was very smart to turn that down.

He only takes lopsided trades like that if they are in HIS favor. Now, if Kawhi was completely healthy and willing to sign an extension, that offer becomes much more reasonable.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,296.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now, if Kawhi was completely healthy and willing to sign an extension, that offer becomes much more reasonable.

True. Irving, Leonard and Hayward is a sick trio. Even if Irving is injury prone.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You guys who keep talking about what positions they would play are hilarious.

Second, have you guys been watching basketball over the last few years? Positions are basically irrelevant. If you have versatile defenders who can guard multiple positions, and offensive playmakers surrounded by teammates who can stretch the floor, you have everything you need.

That quartet you just described are 4 of the most versatile players in the NBA. They wouldn't be a lock to beat GS because the Warriors are great. But there is no way that group of players wouldn't work brilliantly.
positions are irrelevant, but Horford and Carter Jr.... right

DarthVedder

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Got the day off work... watching some ESPN...

Jalen Rose just said the C's should give up Jayson Tatum in addition to other players and picks for a 1 year rental of Kawhi.

Hell no, Jalen. :L

I don't know... The Celtics have a pretty good team and if they can convince Kawhi to sign long term, I think it's worth it.

It think that the Lakers won't need Kawhi if they get both Lebron and PG this year, and if the Celtics manage to have a great year (they almost reached the finals this year), Kawhi might be entinced to remain with them. I know it's a gamble, but frankly a great coach and front office it a great selling point.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know... The Celtics have a pretty good team and if they can convince Kawhi to sign long term, I think it's worth it.

It think that the Lakers won't need Kawhi if they get both Lebron and PG this year, and if the Celtics manage to have a great year (they almost reached the finals this year), Kawhi might be entinced to remain with them. I know it's a gamble, but frankly a great coach and front office it a great selling point.

Celtics would have to give up more to make the salaries match too (Morris?).

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It would definitely be a gamble. Balancing the certainty of what they would have to give up to get Kawhi, versus these very open questions:
  • Will Kawhi resign next year?
  • Is Kawhi healthy for the long haul?
  • Is either Jayson Tatum or Jaylen Brown (or both) on a path to stardom in their own right?
  • Would adding Kawhi be prohibitively expensive in the near future?
I don't like the gamble, personally.

LogicMan

Watch out for Berniedoodles and Trumpers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Spurs have an interest in keeping talks alive with the Celtics because then the Spurs have 'multiple teams in discussion' and at least the illusion of leverage.

The Celtics have an interest in talking with San Antonio because it drives up the price for other teams such as the Lakers and the 76ers.

I still highly doubt, though, that the Spurs and C's actually deal... for all the reasons @BigKen just stated.

this is the correct view

the only deal I can see is kyrie for kawhi, and if the Spurs can resign Kyrie this is a great results for spurs...................but kyrie and danny are talking, and kawhi and danny are not, so me thinks kyrie is our better choice

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
positions are irrelevant, but Horford and Carter Jr.... right

You are ridiculous.

Both are bigs who can shoot. You absolutely need players who can defend bigs. Preferably skilled bigs like Horford who can allow allow you to stretch the floor.

And please, when did I ever say Wendell Carter was good? I said he fits what the Bulls are building. That is all.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would definitely be a gamble. Balancing the certainty of what they would have to give up to get Kawhi, versus these very open questions:
  • Will Kawhi resign next year?
  • Is Kawhi healthy for the long haul?
  • Is either Jayson Tatum or Jaylen Brown (or both) on a path to stardom in their own right?
  • Would adding Kawhi be prohibitively expensive in the near future?
I don't like the gamble, personally.

Too much of a risk for Boston. This has probably been said but since Kawhi seems set on going to L.A. what the Celtics would have to give up for basically 1 year rental isn't worth it.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Too much of a risk for Boston. This has probably been said but since Kawhi seems set on going to L.A. what the Celtics would have to give up for basically 1 year rental isn't worth it.

Besides, Boston doesn't need to. They were already an ECF team without Kyrie for the playoffs or Heyward for the whole season. If Lebron goes West, their only real competition will be the Sixers, if they can add some more supporting talent.

Reactions: DJ

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Besides, Boston doesn't need to. They were already an ECF team without Kyrie for the playoffs or Heyward for the whole season. If Lebron goes West, their only real competition will be the Sixers, if they can add some more supporting talent.

I'm just waiting to see what the 76ers do. Hopefully nothing. I don't want them to get better.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chris Sheridan has thought Kawhi to the Sixers is the most likely result for a while and its what i agree with as well. The Brown/Pop connection, they are in the East....I can see the Spurs liking Saric and Covington...get a draft pick or two...

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The Sixers might be their only real competitor in the East, but last I checked, rings aren't handed out for Finals appearances.

Getting there is great and all, but you need to have a chance to win once you do. The Cavs and Celtics didn't this year.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like Kawhi is down to Philly and LA. Ainge said blockbuster trade is “unlikely”