• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Kawhi wants out of San Antonio

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wait, are you really arguing that they should take on the Deng contract to protect themselves from taking on a WORSE contract?

I think you are being way too dismissive of the Deng contract.

Again....Mozgov.

jeez man. There's literally a worse move and a worse young player being the bait to take it.

we've already seen it happen.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wait, are you really arguing that they should take on the Deng contract to protect themselves from taking on a WORSE contract?

I think you are being way too dismissive of the Deng contract.

What I am saying is that a team like Phoenix isn't in postion to sign anybody of consequence right now anyway. Deng's contract is awful, but it has 2 years on it.

As the Lakers have proven, cap space is only valuable if you are in position to attract somebody good. The Lakers are in that spot now. Phoenix will be in 2 years. They aren't now.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again....Mozgov.

jeez man. There's literally a worse move and a worse young player being the bait to take it.

One more time. The Nets traded a late 1st round pick and got Russell in return. We are talking about a potential lottery pick.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again....Mozgov.

And, Mozgov had an extra year at the time of the deal.

I thought the Mozgov/DLo trade was bad for the Nets. Ball/Deng would be great for Phoenix.

Orlando? Not so much. Don't see the fit there, but it presents another opportunity.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One more time. The Nets traded a late 1st round pick and got Russell in return. We are talking about a potential lottery pick.

Say it with me.

Protected.

Maybe top 12 protected. I don't know what the magic number is there.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What I am saying is that a team like Phoenix isn't in postion to sign anybody of consequence right now anyway. Deng's contract is awful, but it has 2 years on it.

As the Lakers have proven, cap space is only valuable if you are in position to attract somebody good. The Lakers are in that spot now. Phoenix will be in 2 years. They aren't now.

I guess we will see. Seems like a lot for the Suns to accept for me.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Say it with me.

Protected.

Maybe top 12 protected. I don't know what the magic number is there.

Well if it is lottery protected then sure that could happen. But the more it is protected the less trade value it has.

DJ Fieri

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,209.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A protected first rounder.

Next year's class isn't expected to be very strong. If they can turn a late lottery pick into Lonzo Ball, that is a good deal. Terrible comparison to what the Nets are doing. I think a pass first facilitator like Ball is the ideal compliment to Ayton and Booker. Literally could not think of a rookie contract PG who would fit them better.

And again, there is actually some benefit to taking on Deng too. It saves them From themselves and assures they will have the cap space when they might actually be able to attract a legit player.

Exactly.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And, Mozgov had an extra year at the time of the deal.

I thought the Mozgov/DLo trade was bad for the Nets. Ball/Deng would be great for Phoenix.

Orlando? Not so much. Don't see the fit there, but it presents another opportunity.
at the time the Nets took mozgov there was a LOT more cap space around the league though.

the paucity of cap space has driven up the price of dumping contracts. And at least Mozgov is not done for- hes fiarly worthless- but as we can see- he even just got traded again.

Deng is just 36M of dead money in a time where there is not much cap room in the entire league.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's funny watching people accept/reject various rumors based solely on desired outcome.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That makes sense from Boston's perspective. They don't need to make a move for Kawhi and there is a fair amount of risk involved.

IMO, it is possible that the Sixers have more information though given that Kawhi uses the Sixers team doctor for rehab. And Brett Brown has a personal relationship with Kawhi.

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All this just sounds like Spurs using Lakers to drive up the bids by BOS/PHI. No way they trade him to LA even if they offered a Billy King deal....