• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Kam Chancellor Hold out?

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just read that Seattle can also take 25 percent of his signing bonus if he misses the Rams game, so Kam is looking at losing over 500,000 if he doesn't play next week.. He needs his head examined if he does that ...

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just read that Seattle can also take 25 percent of his signing bonus if he misses the Rams game, so Kam is looking at losing over 500,000 if he doesn't play next week.. He needs his head examined if he does that ...
$500,000 really? You sure you got that right, because I agree, he would have to be nuts to lose that kind of money.

Banned 10x

aka Raindrop
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just can't wrap my head around what Kam is possibly thinking. Doesn't he lose here regardless? If we win without him you have the "we don't need him" mentality but if we lose than everybody will be pissed at him for holding out. The Seahawks aren't giving in so....

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just can't wrap my head around what Kam is possibly thinking. Doesn't he lose here regardless? If we win without him you have the "we don't need him" mentality but if we lose than everybody will be pissed at him for holding out. The Seahawks aren't giving in so....

I agree...but looking at this from the player point of view...he's knows in the midst of his last big NFL contract...he's a pro bowl caliber player that has earned his $28 million...but, if he plays in game 1 and has a career ending injury...based on his current deal he most likely gets one game check and the signing bonus for '16 and '17...or roughly $2.3 mil total.

He probably has twice that much in the bank now so he can afford to miss a few game checks...and thinks at least for now, why take the risk?

If he had gone about this the right way...SEA probably rewards him by turning the '16 and '17 yrs salaries into bonuses and locking up the balance of that $28 mil deal for him. Trying to strong arm the team rarely works.

Logicallylethal

Hoopla Cash
$ 933.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Logicallylethal

I believe it's about how he is going about it, everyone here knows Kam should be the top paid SS in the game or close to it and he IS, so thats a thorn and the fact that he is a top paid SS then what does he want? If he wants Earl money like we have heard then he will be making 3 Million a YEAR more than the next SS, close to 33% more. That just screams greed. A few years ago SS was the highest paid position when talking about Safeties but look who was playing there then Woodson and Troy just to name a few. What did these guys do that is better than what Kam does? Cover. Kam is a great SS but he is more like a tweaner in our defense a safety/LB and wouldn't have as much success if he was asked to cover WR's all the time. He is not agile enough to stay up with most WR's in man coverage. Yes he has 4.48 40 speed which means he can run with most WR at least for a little bit but at 235 pounds he can not cut like them. I believe he needs to understand his role in this defense and that is not to be a true SS but more of a LB/SS and that doesn't mean you should earn 33% more than the next SS in the NFL.

Had he asked for something like 1 million more i bet the Hawks would have restructured his contract pushing some of his money from the last year on his contract to this season and maybe even bumped up his bonus to 10 million from the 5 he got. But he is asking for pretty much asking to make 33% more then the next highest paid SS. WTF really Kam.

I would go out and throw my body at anyone in the NFL for 3 million a year let alone for 7 mill. a 290 pound lineman heck yeah i would sell out and hit him as hard as i could and not care if i broke my arm or leg or blew out a knee if i am making 2 or 3 million a year. Why? i played football and i LOVED it, if i didn't have bad knees i would have played longer and i would give up anything to be a NFL player JUST TO PLAY! When i see players doing what Kam is doing then you have to look at it like "does he love the game any more" when you lose the love of the game then you do not play as hard or as good as you did before.

Yeah I totally feel what you're saying.

In 2013 when Kam signed the extension he was ecstatic and it was a great deal for both sides. Kam got his and was ensured long term security and the Seahawks got him for a bargain price.

Kam was actually still on his rookie contract in 2013 (4 years 2 mil from 2010 to 2013) so the Seahawks actually did him a favor by extending him early. He was set to make 600 k that year in the final year of his rookie contract but the extension allowed him to make 3.8 mil.

The more I think about it...yeah that's on you Kam. You chose to get yours early and get long term security. If you truly wanted to maximize your value then sign a 2-3 year extension rather than a 5 year.

I still don't begrudge Kam for wanting to get paid what he is worth but you're right...the way he is going at it is all wrong and I don't blame the Seahawks for not budging.

Overall it's just a bad situation for both sides. There are no winners in this at all.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ah ok wow... I guess the risk of doing that is other players holding out the same way with multiple years left on there contracts..

I think the case with both players to some degree...they are performing up to the level of the entire contract but had several years remaining with little guaranteed cash...imo, a rarity and also imo it's not setting a bad precedent to fix that kind of situation....but not under absolute directive of the player.

dkmightyhammer

Livin' la vida loca
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the case with both players to some degree...they are performing up to the level of the entire contract but had several years remaining with little guaranteed cash...imo, a rarity and also imo it's not setting a bad precedent to fix that kind of situation....but not under absolute directive of the player.

I don't think you can say he had "little guaranteed cash". He was guaranteed $7.8M out of $28M (so more than 25%), plus he received a $5M signing bonus. So overall the minimum he could get was $12.8M out of $28M (45% of the total contract). Had he had just showed up and played this year he would have got another $4.5M guaranteed bringing the total to over 60% of his contract's total. That is pretty decent for any player to receive 60% of their total contract. This whole hold out seems like a bad business move for Kam and an even worse PR move for him. I think his lawyer is giving him some bad advice.

"Kam Chancellor signed a 4 year, $28,002,008 contract with the Seattle Seahawks, including a $5,000,000 signing bonus, $7,825,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $7,000,502. In 2015, Chancellor will earn a base salary of $4,550,000 and a incentive bonus of $100,000. Chancellor has a cap hit of $5,650,000 while his dead money value is $7,550,000." Kam Chancellor

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think you can say he had "little guaranteed cash". He was guaranteed $7.8M out of $28M (so more than 25%), plus he received a $5M signing bonus. So overall the minimum he could get was $12.8M out of $28M (45% of the total contract). Had he had just showed up and played this year he would have got another $4.5M guaranteed bringing the total to over 60% of his contract's total. That is pretty decent for any player to receive 60% of their total contract. This whole hold out seems like a bad business move for Kam and an even worse PR move for him. I think his lawyer is giving him some bad advice.

"Kam Chancellor signed a 4 year, $28,002,008 contract with the Seattle Seahawks, including a $5,000,000 signing bonus, $7,825,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $7,000,502. In 2015, Chancellor will earn a base salary of $4,550,000 and a incentive bonus of $100,000. Chancellor has a cap hit of $5,650,000 while his dead money value is $7,550,000." Kam Chancellor

Don't get me wrong...sitting out serves him no good, but the money you're talking about ($7.8 mil which was peanuts to the deal Thomas got and you know he's aware of that) is water under the bridge as far as the player is concerned today...he looking at today forward...and only $2 mil of that is locked up.

dkmightyhammer

Livin' la vida loca
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't get me wrong...sitting out serves him no good, but the money you're talking about ($7.8 mil which was peanuts to the deal Thomas got and you know he's aware of that) is water under the bridge as far as the player is concerned today...he looking at today forward...and only $2 mil of that is locked up.

Actually, he can guarantee himself $4.55M just by showing up to work tomorrow. That's on top of what he was already paid from last year's salary and his signing bonus. No matter how you slice it he could have received 60% of his total contract just by playing this season. And comparing what he got compared to ET is pointless because they are two different positions. May as well compare his contract to Russell's. Kam is one of the top paid players at his position and he did pretty well on the guaranteed money to boot. If he didn't like his deal he should have turned down the $12M (signing bonus and guaranteed money) and just played last year for the $600k he was supposed to make and then he could have had a huge payday this year. But he didn't want to risk it and he took what he took. At any rate his bargaining position is incredibly weak so I think he's pooched. He's going to have to play or lose a shit ton of money this year.

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
New nickname is "Dead Money" I guess.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually, he can guarantee himself $4.55M just by showing up to work tomorrow. That's on top of what he was already paid from last year's salary and his signing bonus. No matter how you slice it he could have received 60% of his total contract just by playing this season. And comparing what he got compared to ET is pointless because they are two different positions. May as well compare his contract to Russell's. Kam is one of the top paid players at his position and he did pretty well on the guaranteed money to boot. If he didn't like his deal he should have turned down the $12M (signing bonus and guaranteed money) and just played last year for the $600k he was supposed to make and then he could have had a huge payday this year. But he didn't want to risk it and he took what he took. At any rate his bargaining position is incredibly weak so I think he's pooched. He's going to have to play or lose a shit ton of money this year.

I feel like I'm defending Percy Harvin here...lol.

ET..you're right there, but his G$ was still weak relative to the top SS deals, about half of the top 3 SS and less than 3 other contracts like William Moore and Morgan Burnette's...the point in bold sums this up...he has zero leverage...these late round picks that blossom are normally happy to see those figures and they jump at it because at that time...key words...at that time...it seemed like a lot of money...two years later and pro bowl success...player has a different mindset.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's plenty of teams that would give a 1st rounder for him. Snyder's already taking calls. If this goes on another week then he's gone. Fuck him.

3. Seattle Isn't Interested In Trading Kam Chancellor
This past weekend, reports surfaced that other teams around the League had expressed interest in trading for Kam Chancellor, the Seahawks' strong safety who has yet to report. While nothing has changed on Chancellor's status this week, Carroll made it clear the team is not entertaining any trade offers with other NFL clubs.

“There has been a couple phone calls from other teams," Carroll said. "People just kind of wondering what’s going on. We’re really not interested in talking to them about that, so we don’t.”

Three Things We Learned From Seahawks Coach Pete Carroll to Open Week 1 of the Regular Season

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If my figures are close...$5.6, $6.1, and $8.1 are what's left on his current deal...that ranks #4 (this yr) for his position...maybe he should be ranked higher but you're splitting hairs at a certain point and I think he's at that point now...don't blame the Hawks...let his ass sit and watch.
Those are the correct cap hit numbers. He's already been given the signing bonus, which was $5M, so in real dollars it's what you listed minus $1M per season in SB proration that is already in his pocket.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At this point, it's "PRIDE" that is keeping Kam away and i'm not talking about a group of Lions either...

geezer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Selfish, another "me" bastard. I am starting to just hate him. This is a disruption to the team all because he thinks he should get more. I am done. Trade his whining butt to Jacksonville. Don't matter to him a bit if giving him anything causes half the team to pull the same shit next season. If they do? Trade them all and start over.
He will soon make himself the most hated athlete in seattle.

Seahawk Sal

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just don't get it. Kam, you're losing in every possible theatre for a battle you can't win. Actually, if he doesn't wise up, his pride will make him lose everything.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just don't get it. Kam, you're losing in every possible theatre for a battle you can't win. Actually, if he doesn't wise up, his pride will make him lose everything.

As we know, "Pride comes before a fall"...