• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Kaepernick Update

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good points. That's right Hillman is still unsigned. Denver also lost two starting QBs:-) Regardless there are holes that still need to be filled on both sides of the ball.
I'm not raining on Denver's parade I just think if it was my team I wouldn't be feeling very comfortable is all. Especially since on paper the rest of the division has improved IHMO.

I'm feeling very comfortable honestly. Elway hasn't given me much reason to doubt that he can put together a competitive team. Maybe the Broncos do have a down year and honestly I would be somewhat ok with that. We won a Super Bowl and it will take possibly a bit to rebuild everything back up. I also understand the Broncos got very fortunate with making huge coaching changes that the coaches at least on the defensive side of the ball were able to make the players we had work with their system. I think what we saw on the offensive side of the ball was some players struggling to make the transition to Kubiak's scheme. I've listened to players in the past talk about this that Kubiak's scheme can take a year or two before you feel completely comfortable in what you are doing especially on the OL part of his scheme. So have to see how year 2 in the scheme does.

As for the rest of the division we will just have to see. The Chiefs I would say might not have actually gotten better. They lost Smith and possibly Houston on the defensive side of the ball. Those are two huge players. For the Raiders have to see how the new pieces fit in and how Carr develops in year 3 before I truly say they have arrived. The Chargers well they were a hot mess so the only way to go was up.

Again right now though I'm not going to panic about the Broncos when we are still not even a month into the off season and still have the draft and so much more to go. The Broncos can make plenty of moves still if they want. I know people keep bringing up the Cap but do people realize how easy it is to manipulate the Cap? I mean look at the Chiefs this past year signing Houston. His cap hit in year 1 was only $6 million. If the Broncos do that to Von Miller then right there they have freed up over $8 million in Cap Space. They can cut Clady at any time and free up $9 million in cap space. They can redo Thomas' deal from last year turning his base salary this year of $13 million into bonus money again saving another $10 million. So if the Broncos wanted just in the next day they could free up $27 million. Obviously they won't do all of that as all it does is push more money to other years making those that much more difficult and that is what you see desperate teams doing but they have plenty of options to try and help out a few more positions. I would also add that other than Elway's first year drafting he has picked near the bottom and has found plenty of talent. In fact the Broncos have been a top-5 drafting team in the league even without picking near the top every year. So it wouldn't surprise me to see him find some quality players that can help right now. Throw in 2 of his top-3 picks from last year were on IR week 3 or earlier so still have to see what last year's draft can add to this team that might have been missing.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm feeling very comfortable honestly. Elway hasn't given me much reason to doubt that he can put together a competitive team. Maybe the Broncos do have a down year and honestly I would be somewhat ok with that. We won a Super Bowl and it will take possibly a bit to rebuild everything back up. I also understand the Broncos got very fortunate with making huge coaching changes that the coaches at least on the defensive side of the ball were able to make the players we had work with their system. I think what we saw on the offensive side of the ball was some players struggling to make the transition to Kubiak's scheme. I've listened to players in the past talk about this that Kubiak's scheme can take a year or two before you feel completely comfortable in what you are doing especially on the OL part of his scheme. So have to see how year 2 in the scheme does.

As for the rest of the division we will just have to see. The Chiefs I would say might not have actually gotten better. They lost Smith and possibly Houston on the defensive side of the ball. Those are two huge players. For the Raiders have to see how the new pieces fit in and how Carr develops in year 3 before I truly say they have arrived. The Chargers well they were a hot mess so the only way to go was up.

Again right now though I'm not going to panic about the Broncos when we are still not even a month into the off season and still have the draft and so much more to go. The Broncos can make plenty of moves still if they want. I know people keep bringing up the Cap but do people realize how easy it is to manipulate the Cap? I mean look at the Chiefs this past year signing Houston. His cap hit in year 1 was only $6 million. If the Broncos do that to Von Miller then right there they have freed up over $8 million in Cap Space. They can cut Clady at any time and free up $9 million in cap space. They can redo Thomas' deal from last year turning his base salary this year of $13 million into bonus money again saving another $10 million. So if the Broncos wanted just in the next day they could free up $27 million. Obviously they won't do all of that as all it does is push more money to other years making those that much more difficult and that is what you see desperate teams doing but they have plenty of options to try and help out a few more positions. I would also add that other than Elway's first year drafting he has picked near the bottom and has found plenty of talent. In fact the Broncos have been a top-5 drafting team in the league even without picking near the top every year. So it wouldn't surprise me to see him find some quality players that can help right now. Throw in 2 of his top-3 picks from last year were on IR week 3 or earlier so still have to see what last year's draft can add to this team that might have been missing.
You have a much sunnier disposition than I. I'm more the worrier. I like everything in place. Even when I think everything is lined up perfectly I'm still guarded. I see a lot of ifs is all. It takes two to dance WRT moving that money around not just the GM and the owner wanting it to happen. Not all players willing to push money back. Like you said by pushing it back you're just delaying the issue. The money will come due. The more likely relief comes from one maybe two possible renegotiating contracts but also dumping some contracts. Otherwise there is very little money to do any FA business, let alone rookies and the emergency stash for later season injuries.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You have a much sunnier disposition than I. I'm more the worrier. I like everything in place. Even when I think everything is lined up perfectly I'm still guarded. I see a lot of ifs is all. It takes two to dance WRT moving that money around not just the GM and the owner wanting it to happen. Not all players willing to push money back. Like you said by pushing it back you're just delaying the issue. The money will come due. The more likely relief comes from one maybe two possible renegotiating contracts but also dumping some contracts. Otherwise there is very little money to do any FA business, let alone rookies and the emergency stash for later season injuries.

It takes 2 to dance yes but what we are talking about is a player getting all of their money for this year and looking at another possibly year or two of the deal being guaranteed. No longer would a guy like DT have to be worried about being a possible roster cut next off season. He would know he is promised another probably 3 years in Denver if not 4 even if he gets injured. So it makes sense for the player to take such a deal and why most of them do take the deal. It is not a pay cut just a matter of money being pushed and the player having more freedom.

I used to worry a lot and be like you of needing every question mark answered but now not so much. I understand every team will have question marks going into the season and I guess for me just knowing I have a stable coaching staff and FO gives me hope that they can do well with whoever they suit up this year. I also know like I said that sometimes the best deals are the ones made after the first few weeks of FA. Last year alone over 500 players changed teams during FA. Only 4 actually made the Pro Bowl even though they had a record number of players qualify for the Pro Bowl. So it just shows that all this money being thrown around right now is pretty overrated to the growth of a team.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It takes 2 to dance yes but what we are talking about is a player getting all of their money for this year and looking at another possibly year or two of the deal being guaranteed. No longer would a guy like DT have to be worried about being a possible roster cut next off season. He would know he is promised another probably 3 years in Denver if not 4 even if he gets injured. So it makes sense for the player to take such a deal and why most of them do take the deal. It is not a pay cut just a matter of money being pushed and the player having more freedom.

I used to worry a lot and be like you of needing every question mark answered but now not so much. I understand every team will have question marks going into the season and I guess for me just knowing I have a stable coaching staff and FO gives me hope that they can do well with whoever they suit up this year. I also know like I said that sometimes the best deals are the ones made after the first few weeks of FA. Last year alone over 500 players changed teams during FA. Only 4 actually made the Pro Bowl even though they had a record number of players qualify for the Pro Bowl. So it just shows that all this money being thrown around right now is pretty overrated to the growth of a team.

Kube's is a good HC no doubt but Denver hit the jackpot getting Phillips IMO.
I'm tracking on the money moves but again I'll take the low road. Here. Those players first need to want to stay and two feel they won't be able to secure a better deal later? Sounds easy just doesn't always end the way we envision.
Most consistently good teams (like the Pats) dabble in FA without getting locked into bad contracts. The longer the FA stay unsigned the better deal a team can get. The caution statement here is usually there was a reason that player is still a FA. If he scratches that itch for a certain team? Big win for the team. Otherwise, the team is right back where they were to start the season.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sur $4.9 million is a little less? Personally, I think he's crazy to walk away from that money for a couple reasons. First he's likely to do better in a Chip Kelly offense? Second if not he rides the pine, gets traded later or finds a new team next year all with that $5 million still in his pocket. Not a bad deal.
Now comes the other side of the coin. Not sure what SF did to obviously piss him off as much as it appears right now. One would think there is more going on/or went on beside what we've all been privy to? Is that enough to have him eat some of that 5 mil? Maybe, but damn no way for the entire 5?

There are two different theories on this. One is that Kap would not do well with Kelly's offense because that offense relies on a quick release and accuracy. Kap has a slow release and has been inconsistent with his accuracy, especially quick crossing routes. Another theory is Kelly's offense only relies on the quarterback having to read half the field and more predetermined throws which would obviously benefit him so who knows. Kap was benched last year and there were leaks afterword about his film study. I understand why he was benched but the whisper campaign was uncalled for and I can understand why that would tick him off.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I guess there is another train of thought. Now that OTAs have opened if Kap gets hurt SF eats that entire contract. That plays into Denvers hand.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess there is another train of thought. Now that OTAs have opened if Kap gets hurt SF eats that entire contract. That plays into Denvers hand.

My guess is that they are not too concerned about that. I think based on what is going on at the OTA's right now the odds of him getting injured is quite slim.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My guess is that they are not too concerned about that. I think based on what is going on at the OTA's right now the odds of him getting injured is quite slim.
That could depend on how scorned he feels? Hard to prove a hammy isn't pulled. Kap if he doesn't get what he wants gives SF the big :finger2: and sits all year with a pulled hammy. Starts over next year looking for a new contract:noidea:Not that this would be a smart move. But Kap hasn't been accused of being smart that I recall?

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That could depend on how scorned he feels? Hard to prove a hammy isn't pulled. Kap if he doesn't get what he wants gives SF the big :finger2: and sits all year with a pulled hammy. Starts over next year looking for a new contract:noidea:Not that this would be a smart move. But Kap hasn't been accused of being smart that I recall?

Kap might be many things but I don't see him faking an injury and purposely trying to ride the bench.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kap might be many things but I don't see him faking an injury and purposely trying to ride the bench.
You're probably right. But it makes for an intriguing story.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I would say April 27th is the latest it can drag on. Broncos probably change up what they are doing draft wise depending on whether they have Kap on the roster or not.

Yep, they could wait and see who the 49ers pick at #7? If we do draft a QB, then we'll be more likely to trade Kaep. Denver will too, because they can then draft another position at #31.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Broncos have an extra fifth rounder now and some more cash. This could open things up for a trade, given more money (less of a cut to ask Kaepernick to make) and another fifth (making a fifth, at least, expendable). Given the oline issues and high amount of cap we have, would you have preferred trading Kaepernick for Clady plus filler on either side? The Jets needed someone and all they gave was a fifth (I know, he has an injury issue).

Sources: Jets to get Clady in trade with Broncos

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He may not be the smartest guy but if he's looking to get another contract after the season pulling a move like that would put him in the Arena League.

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just don't see a trade happening. 9ers want too much for it to get pushed thru.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Broncos have an extra fifth rounder now and some more cash. This could open things up for a trade, given more money (less of a cut to ask Kaepernick to make) and another fifth (making a fifth, at least, expendable). Given the oline issues and high amount of cap we have, would you have preferred trading Kaepernick for Clady plus filler on either side? The Jets needed someone and all they gave was a fifth (I know, he has an injury issue).

Sources: Jets to get Clady in trade with Broncos

I'm fine with not getting Clady as it opens up room fro them to add Kaep without having to take on salary of a player that might end up being useless of course that makes me wonder why Baalke didn't make the move he loves to add useless talent in FA, and the Draft.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just don't see a trade happening. 9ers want too much for it to get pushed thru.

me either oh well, they'll just end up releasing him at some point.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know about that. There will always be needy NFL teams. He goes and tries out next year for tgem showing his "hammy" is gtg after a year off.
Again not the smartest move for him but not outrageous if he feels that wronged. It really depends on what the numbers work out like if he gets traded?

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know about that. There will always be needy NFL teams. He goes and tries out next year for tgem showing his "hammy" is gtg after a year off.
Again not the smartest move for him but not outrageous if he feels that wronged. It really depends on what the numbers work out like if he gets traded?

If he wants to make any kind of money and have a chance to not work on the practice squad or hold a clipboard then yeah he wont' pull a move like that.