• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Kaepernick Update

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kap is gone after this season, if not sooner. He's playing for his next contract. He has every reason to try to perform at peak levels this year. Kap putting in more work and trying to increase his stock is more likely than him pouting on the sidelines.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Coach speak. When the QB, the defacto leader of your team has basically declared he wants out, then he makes it extremely difficult for others to respect and follow. It's not like he was noted as being any kind of leader in the first place, so.....who would really play for this guy?

Keeping him is the worst option.

Be prepared for the worst option at least this season.

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the media wanted the trade to happen more so than Kaepernick or the 49ers really ever did. I mean if Kaep really wanted out he could have taken less money and been on his way to Denver. If the 49ers really wanted him gone they could have released or agreed to eat some of his cap figured to make the trade with Denver work.

End of the day though neither side really wanted to separated and all of this was just posturing for leverage.

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Overplayed Hand: Colin Kaepernick, In Limbo

The hatred is real in San Francisco. So desperate to leave the 49ers' sinking ship after being benched for Blaine Gabbert last season, Kaepernick urged his agents to request a trade in February. Given a chance to join the reigning Super Bowl champions in a quarterback-friendly offense, Kaepernick and his camp opted instead for a failed leverage play, attempting to hold a quarterback-needy John Elway over a barrel.

Instead of taking the long view, understanding that jumpstarting his stalled career on an annual contender run by one of pro football's most respected executives would earn him more money in the future, Kaepernick balked at a 2016 pay cut. He's a fallen star, no longer viewed by any of the NFL's 32 organizations as a viable franchise quarterback. Kap had the opportunity to alter that perception in Denver. Now he's stuck in misery.
From an nfl.com story. Sad but true. :L

trumphero2006

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The hatred is real in San Francisco. So desperate to leave the 49ers' sinking ship after being benched for Blaine Gabbert last season, Kaepernick urged his agents to request a trade in February. Given a chance to join the reigning Super Bowl champions in a quarterback-friendly offense, Kaepernick and his camp opted instead for a failed leverage play, attempting to hold a quarterback-needy John Elway over a barrel.

Instead of taking the long view, understanding that jumpstarting his stalled career on an annual contender run by one of pro football's most respected executives would earn him more money in the future, Kaepernick balked at a 2016 pay cut. He's a fallen star, no longer viewed by any of the NFL's 32 organizations as a viable franchise quarterback. Kap had the opportunity to alter that perception in Denver. Now he's stuck in misery.
that sums it up! but the niners are too stupid also. we have the blind leading the blind. kap is a loser and unfort so are the 9ers owners/FO

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I honestly was shocked that something didn't get done before the draft. Kaepernick definitely overplayed how much teams would want him and how he could stay at his currant salary and still get out of San Fran. Now he is stuck in that awkward situation of going back to a team that I think also showed they were not exactly wanting him either by letting him so openly seek a trade. Don't usually let a player have such an ability to go talk to other teams unless you expect him out of the building as well.

I wouldn't have minded Kaep on the Broncos but definitely with limited cap space Elway had to keep holding his ground. Kaep should have looked at the Broncos Salary Cap situation and realized they were definitely not going to pay it and the 49ers the team you are wanting to leave are not going to reward you for so openly wanting out of town. Either he or his agent really messed up. My guess is the agent told him to hold his ground as some team would get too desperate and flinch. Sometimes I really wonder where they get these agents.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You can look at two ways in his shoes. If you go to Denver and doesn't make it, he left a lot of money on the table. When the 49ers guaranteed his salary after April 1, it changed the game

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I honestly was shocked that something didn't get done before the draft. Kaepernick definitely overplayed how much teams would want him and how he could stay at his currant salary and still get out of San Fran. Now he is stuck in that awkward situation of going back to a team that I think also showed they were not exactly wanting him either by letting him so openly seek a trade. Don't usually let a player have such an ability to go talk to other teams unless you expect him out of the building as well.

I wouldn't have minded Kaep on the Broncos but definitely with limited cap space Elway had to keep holding his ground. Kaep should have looked at the Broncos Salary Cap situation and realized they were definitely not going to pay it and the 49ers the team you are wanting to leave are not going to reward you for so openly wanting out of town. Either he or his agent really messed up. My guess is the agent told him to hold his ground as some team would get too desperate and flinch. Sometimes I really wonder where they get these agents.

I think when the 49ers guaranteed his money after April 1, that changed a lot. IDK, maybe Kap is unsure of himself these days and didn't want to risk the money and going to Denver.

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can look at two ways in his shoes. If you go to Denver and doesn't make it, he left a lot of money on the table. When the 49ers guaranteed his salary after April 1, it changed the game
I agree. I think Kap made the right call, and for that matter, so did SF's FO.

I've seen several sour grapes reports that the Niners somehow "lost" by not trading Kap or that Elway outplayed Baalke—which is complete nonsense. For once, Baalke refused to be lowballed, not to mention Kap refused a 40% paycut, and Elway ended up trading for a raw QB that cannot play at all this year and might not be ready to play next year either. Elway overplayed his hand. If anyone lost in the Kap nontrade, it was the team with Mark Sanchez starting at QB.

As for Kap, he made the right call too imo. Denver wanted Kap to take a 40% paycut this year down to 7M and reportedly was demanding he take a similar paycut for 2017. So, he could sit on the bench in SF for 12M guaranteed or he could play in Denver for 7M. That is an easy choice imo. You take the guaranteed 12M every day of the week b/c there is no guarantee he will ever play well again. If Kap is willing to play for the high-level backup money (7M), he'll have that chance next year and in the years to follow--I think there are plenty of teams that will pay him backup money, but he may never again get the chance at 12M guaranteed.

Before you say, "he could restart his career in Denver" or the even more ridiculous "he can make that money back", think about Kap's contract. Suppose the best case scenario happens--Kap goes to Denver and plays really well. What do you think would happen? Denver isn't going to suddenly pay him more b/c he is already under contract through 2020. What is likely to happen is that Denver will force Kap to play under his existing contract, where depending on whether he took a 2017 paycut or not, he'd be making either 8M in 2017 or the 14.5M he was due under the existing deal. He wouldn't be making back the money he gave up b/c Denver isn't going to redo his deal with 4 years left on it, particularly when the locked-in salaries are so cheap in this QB market (14.5M, 15M, 16.8M, 19M).

For once, both Baalke and Kap made the right call.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

I've seen several sour grapes reports that the Niners somehow "lost" by not trading Kap or that Elway outplayed Baalke—which is complete nonsense. For once, Baalke refused to be lowballed, not to mention Kap refused a 40% paycut, and Elway ended up trading for a raw QB that cannot play at all this year and might not be ready to play next year either. Elway overplayed his hand. If anyone lost in the Kap nontrade, it was the team with Mark Sanchez starting at QB.

As for Kap, he made the right call too imo. Denver wanted Kap to take a 40% paycut this year down to 7M and reportedly was demanding he take a similar paycut for 2017. So, he could sit on the bench in SF for 12M guaranteed or he could play in Denver for 7M. That is an easy choice imo. You take the guaranteed 12M every day of the week b/c there is no guarantee he will ever play well again. If Kap is willing to play for the high-level backup money (7M), he'll have that chance next year and in the years to follow--I think there are plenty of teams that will pay him backup money, but he may never again get the chance at 12M guaranteed.

Before you say, "he could restart his career in Denver" or the even more ridiculous "he can make that money back", think about Kap's contract. Suppose the best case scenario happens--Kap goes to Denver and plays really well. What do you think would happen? Denver isn't going to suddenly pay him more b/c he is already under contract through 2020. What is likely to happen is that Denver will force Kap to play under his existing contract, where depending on whether he took a 2017 paycut or not, he'd be making either 8M in 2017 or the 14.5M he was due under the existing deal. He wouldn't be making back the money he gave up b/c Denver isn't going to redo his deal with 4 years left on it, particularly when the locked-in salaries are so cheap in this QB market (14.5M, 15M, 16.8M, 19M).

agree. If i was Kaep and given those options, i'd have made the same decision. Same as Kaep, i would be willing to take a pay cut, but not $7M worth.....a season.

Ok so now what? I'd "svck it up" and try to win the starting job. The first reason is i'm just a competitor and want to play. Doesn't look like i'll play elsewhere, so i want to start in SF. Second, maybe Kelly's offense IS suited for me, and i'll do well in it? At very least, I know i have to try to do well THIS season, to get teams interested in me next.

Teams didn't show enough interest in Kaep for good reasons, so if he doesn't play or doesn't play well, there will be no options next year.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't think anybody lost....so in that sense, I agree. I think it all depends on what Kaepernick really wants. Does he want to prove that he's a quality, NFL starter, and that the 49ers simply held him back due to coaching/talent/etc.? Then he should've more flexible with the Broncos, and those parties should've put together a 'prove it' deal, where Kaepernick could've made the money up later on.

Does he just want to collect money, regardless if he's a starter or a backup? If so, he's doing what's best for him short term, but it could also be considered a warning sign for everyone else - assuming that this is his final season (which it better be) in SF.

As I said in the other thread, I hope he doesn't see a down of football this season.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I don't think anybody lost....so in that sense, I agree. I think it all depends on what Kaepernick really wants. Does he want to prove that he's a quality, NFL starter, and that the 49ers simply held him back due to coaching/talent/etc.? Then he should've more flexible with the Broncos, and those parties should've put together a 'prove it' deal, where Kaepernick could've made the money up later on.

Does he just want to collect money, regardless if he's a starter or a backup? If so, he's doing what's best for him short term, but it could also be considered a warning sign for everyone else - assuming that this is his final season (which it better be) in SF.

As I said in the other thread, I hope he doesn't see a down of football this season.

i won't be dissapointed if he doesn't play a down, but like Bradford, Kaep could easily change his outlook? I'd think Kaep is competitive and would be interested to see what he can do? This isn't last year's offense so from a football standpoint, he must be intrigued?!

From the 'respect' standpoint or lack of, yes it is a tough one to overcome. So again, if he doesn't play a down even in practice, fine with me.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i won't be dissapointed if he doesn't play a down, but like Bradford, Kaep could easily change his outlook? I'd think Kaep is competitive and would be interested to see what he can do? This isn't last year's offense so from a football standpoint, he must be intrigued?!

From the 'respect' standpoint or lack of, yes it is a tough one to overcome. So again, if he doesn't play a down even in practice, fine with me.

My thoughts are, Kelly is supposed to be an offensive guru and good with QBs. So I am going to trust that he'll figure out what is best for this coming season and will roll with whatever direction he decides to go.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I would argue that it made more sense for Bradford to come back and play on a team that will likely compete for a playoff spot next year and this 49ers team won't.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
My thoughts are, Kelly is supposed to be an offensive guru and good with QBs. So I am going to trust that he'll figure out what is best for this coming season and will roll with whatever direction he decides to go.

Yes, he'll do the best he can with what we got. Fans will just have to understand the "with what we got" part of this.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I would argue that it made more sense for Bradford to come back and play on a team that will likely compete for a playoff spot next year and this 49ers team won't.

you can argue that, but the point was both QB's have to svck it up, and join their teams. Both wanted to leave but both found out they don't have options. So even if Eagles were worse than the 49ers, Bradford had to join his team.

Kaep already joined his team, and that is positive step. Now we'll see just how much his competitive juices start to flow? We'll see if his competitiveness, overcomes the FO's "slight" to his pride.

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True. For some reason the 9ers' FO still have hope. I guess they don't watch any game film.

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, he'll do the best he can with what we got. Fans will just have to understand the "with what we got" part of this.
Wait and see game now ,I guess. Kap has the money and is honoring his current contract.