• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Josh Harding diagnosed with MS

recon

FLYERS
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Minnesota Wild goalie Harding diagnosed with multiple sclerosis - NHL.com - News

Minnesota Wild goaltender Josh Harding is about the begin the fight of his life.

Michael Russo of the Star Tribune reported Wednesday night that Harding has been diagnosed with multiple sclerosis, an incurable autoimmune disease in which the body randomly attacks and eats away the protective lining of his nerves and causes them to scar. It results in problems with balance, fatigue and blurred vision.

Harding received the news approximately a month ago and has begun the process of informing friends and family, including Wild general manager Chuck Fletcher and coach Mike Yeo. Harding also told the paper he has no plans of retiring.

"I had a couple days where I felt bad for myself, but no more," Harding told Russo. "There's things in life that happen. Sometimes you can't explain it. You deal with it."

"Josh's competitive fire has led him to a successful career in the NHL and we know he will approach this new battle in the same manner," Fletcher said.

Harding began to feel something was wrong in September, when he was experiencing problems with his neck. An MRI revealed lesions on his brain, which later led to the diagnosis. According to Russo, Harding has been put on an aggressive treatment of medication in order to prevent new lesions and the resulting episodes of "immune system flareup."

Harding, 28, has played parts of six seasons with the Wild, who selected him in the second round (No. 38) of the 2002 NHL Draft. The Regina, Saskatchewan, native set career highs in 2011-12 in games played (34), wins (13) and saves (900).

He has 41 wins, a .916 save percentage and a 2.65 goals-against average in 117 career NHL appearances and was rewarded with a new three-year deal this summer.

There are 25,000 new cases of multiple sclerosis diagnosed in the United States every year.

"I don't look at this like I've got to take a new path," Harding said. "This is a little bump in the road. I've had lots in life."

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Geez, that's awful news for Josh, yet he seem to be handling it like a champ. Always thought he was an underrated goalie who was just starting to round into top form. He does seem determined to not let this end his NHL career (they just talked about Josh on TSN).

Last edited by a moderator:

blindbaby

i want to bang on the drum all day
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's harsh. Best of luck to him.

blindbaby

i want to bang on the drum all day
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow, didn't see slims post before I posted. Spooky stuff. :tinfoil3:

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MS is a rough disease. I wish him the best. This will be some kind of fight for him.

IndyAndy

I can't reMember
Paddock Stand, Section 23, Row QQ, Seat 4
Hoopla Cash
$ 545.78
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seriously bummed about this. I just started following the Wild last season (I was a Thrashers refugee) & really like watching Josh play.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
best of luck to him

hopefully he can keep playing for many years. Heard an interview with Jordan Sigalet recently (current Abby Heat golatending coach who was diagnosed with MS in 2004) and he managed to keep playing 5 years. He ended up going to play in europe because of the better schedule. The demands on his body as a goalie in the ahl were too much.

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
best of luck to him. terrible news for Josh and his family

higgyfan4

Bossman you'll be missed
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How sad. Sounds like he's got a good head on his shoulders. Best wishes to Josh and his family.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What an awful disease. There are few things worse, maybe nothing, than being a prisoner in your own body.

tideguy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,211.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My best friend got diagnosed with MS last year after waking up and being blind in 1 eye and losing all taste. Ive since done a lot of reading and research on it, and its probably one of the worst things you can get.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How sad. Sounds like he's got a good head on his shoulders. Best wishes to Josh and his family.

This. Hopefully he can keep doing what he loves for as long as he can. Best of luck to you Josh.

BOSSMANPC

Harbor Center
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My brother passed away from complication from MS. I have done more reading on this than anything else. My brothers neurologists was the late Dr Jacobs who was considered one of the best in the world on this topic. Yes he was Jeremy Jacobs brother.

It effects people in may different ways, a lot of people go into remission and have very few problems the rest of their lives. In fact some people can get it and not realize they have it. My brothers case was one of the worst they had seen and Dr Jacobs did a story in one of the medical publications about my brother because Chris never went into remission it just got progressively worse.

My cousin also had MS and lived a pretty good life until he passed away in his 40's. It's a terrible thing because it's so unpredictable.