• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Jon Lester a Giant?

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The fact that the Giants appear to be approaching things prudently, not getting suckered into overpays, not giving up draft picks (or being reluctant to), not wanting to deal what few prospects they have....this is exactly what I've been talking about...

They are reading the market, reading their needs, and perhaps deciding not to push this year. And again THIS IS GOOD long term. I'm FINE with every other year...

Now, if they somehow beat out Boston for Shields, and get Melky or someone in left, and replace Romo with someone legit (Jesse Crain?), and get a 3B...we'll see....seems like a lot of ifs

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The fact that the Giants appear to be approaching things prudently, not getting suckered into overpays, not giving up draft picks (or being reluctant to), not wanting to deal what few prospects they have....this is exactly what I've been talking about...

They are reading the market, reading their needs, and perhaps deciding not to push this year. And again THIS IS GOOD long term. I'm FINE with every other year...

Now, if they somehow beat out Boston for Shields, and get Melky or someone in left, and replace Romo with someone legit (Jesse Crain?), and get a 3B...we'll see....seems like a lot of ifs

I hate to go into any season expecting it to be a punt, especially in a defend year, but it is hard to argue against your points.

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd probably be excited to go Boston/NY/LA style and just overpay, it would feel good right now, but it would kill us later. These guys have a long term vision, they've earned our patience.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, Headley brings equivalent numbers to Panda.........at about 1/2 the price.

Morse shouldn't cost much.

And, yes, I would rather have Peavy or Vogelsong over Santana as well. But, it doesn't seem to me that is the direction the Giants are going.

Funny, we did pretty well last season with a Headley equivalent, 2 Santana equivalents and Morse.....

But, then again, you strike me as a know it all a$$hole, so I won't even bother.

Go Giants!

:scratch:

BroncoInCALI

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You know what I meant, wise guy.

There are very few options left at 3B.....instead of being a freaking prick, why don't you bring a viable suggestion to the table, Mr. Know It All?

The fact remains, Sandoval's numbers are what they are, and for half the price the best remaining option is Chase Headley (and therefore, his numbers, given the price difference, are equivalent) I figured with someone as "smart" as you I wouldn't have to explain that.......and as I said, he and the other pieces "might" be enough to keep us in the mix.

Simple as that. We are either going to sign Headley, or punt the position for the season. Or, perhaps you have a suggestion to add, instead of being an arrogant fool picking apart the thoughts of others?

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Headley isn't going to sign for half the annual salary that Pablo got. Not happenin'.

BroncoInCALI

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, maybe half is a bit of a stretch........let's just call him "much cheaper". Fair enough?

BroncoInCALI

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And, to be clear.....again......I don't want Headley at a big number. I was just pointing out what the rumors were pointing to. And trying to put a positive spin on that. I should have known better. Positivity is not a strong point for this board. Lol

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And, to be clear.....again......I don't want Headley at a big number. I was just pointing out what the rumors were pointing to. And trying to put a positive spin on that. I should have known better. Positivity is not a strong point for this board. Lol

Especially when BoB is on vacation....:lol:

BroncoInCALI

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL........

Now the rumors are saying we are very interested in both Shields and Santana.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL........

Now the rumors are saying we are very interested in both Shields and Santana.

Santana is gone, so there is that...

And I think that the Giants SHOULD kick the tires on Shields. He would be a nice 3.

Of course, we would lose the #19, but I assume they have some $$ valuation of the pick and that gets factored into any negotiations they have with a player.

If they are considering trades, they need to consider signing QO FAs, as long as the player/contract is worth the "trade" of the #19 pick.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Asdrubal on the Giants radar. Would either need to switch to 3b or replace Panik in a Hamels trade...

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Asdrubal on the Giants radar. Would either need to switch to 3b or replace Panik in a Hamels trade...

I would hate to lose Panik, but that is an interesting idea. If the team feels Panik played over his head last year, this would be the time to sell high on him...

BroncoInCALI

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MLB Network is reporting if Cabrera is signed, it would be with moving Panik to 3B in mind.....

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MLB Network is reporting if Cabrera is signed, it would be with moving Panik to 3B in mind.....

Without a subsequent trade, as tz suggested, one of the two would need to move.

Honest question that I am not sure any of us can answer...

Does Panik have the arm for 3B? I trust he has the reaction ability for it, he showed some nice reactions this past year at 2B (that play in Game 7 was flat out amazing).

droider

Human NFL Almanac and College Football Insider
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lester to the Cubs today. It amazes me that free agents do not want to play for the Giants. They have the best stadium, the Bay Area is a nice place to live and the Giants have the best team concept in baseball and a winning tradition.

It tells me that most of today's players, despite what they say in public, do not care about winning; its about getting paid.

Actually, the Giants offered $8M more to Lester than the Cubs. So he just didn't want to play in SF.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually, the Giants offered $8M more to Lester than the Cubs. So he just didn't want to play in SF.

I have mentioned this a ton already, but I think it is important...

1) After you factor in taxes, the offer the Giants offer was probably LESS than the offer he took from the Cubs.

2) Lester has a long history with Epstein and they reportedly are friends.

3) The lure of being on the team that breaks the curse has to be a big draw for a player considering the Cubs.

BroncoInCALI

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Without a subsequent trade, as tz suggested, one of the two would need to move.

Honest question that I am not sure any of us can answer...

Does Panik have the arm for 3B? I trust he has the reaction ability for it, he showed some nice reactions this past year at 2B (that play in Game 7 was flat out amazing).

Arm strength was the first thing I thought of when I saw that report. Personally, I am not a fan of moving Panik (via trade or to 3B). I would leave him right where he is and let him settle in and develop.

Then again, it is hard for me to second guess the powers that be at this point.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Arm strength was the first thing I thought of when I saw that report. Personally, I am not a fan of moving Panik (via trade or to 3B). I would leave him right where he is and let him settle in and develop.

Then again, it is hard for me to second guess the powers that be at this point.

I like the idea of penciling in a single, solid starter at a key position for 6 years. But real-life gets in the way sometimes, and you have to do what you have to do.

If we can get someone with the defense of Cabrera to man 2B for a year (or so), I think his bat would be good enough to call the infield set (assuming Panik can handle 3B).

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

link? What I read was "we weren't allowed to make our final offer" and "6 years/$150M".