• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Jon Lester a Giant?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Something to be said about quality of life though as well. Although Chicago is a fantastic place, I would rather raise my family in the B.A. Besides, how much money does a guy need? When its up there around 150 mil, I would think that 7 Mil doesn't mean a whole lot, but that's just me.

It just seems to me that this organization has so much to offer yet never attracts a free agent of any significance.

Or is it that they have learned their lesson about paying what is needed to get the big time FAs?

Hamilton - bust
Pujols - bust
Zito - bust
Bay - bust
Choo - bust
Etc
Etc
Etc

van_basten

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am glad that Lester didn't take the 7/$168M from the Giants. These 30+ years old big and long FA contract never seem to work out.

BroncoInCALI

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm in the camp that is glad Lester signed elsewhere.

That contract could be an eye sore in 3-4 years. He is good....but he isn't THAT good, in my opinion.

Headley, Morse and Santana might just be enough to keep us in the Championship mix, and it won't cost us an arm and a leg. Headley might not make up the entire difference of losing Sandoval, but I expect Brandon Belt to put up much bigger power numbers next season, if he stays healthy, so that takes care of that.

Plus, this Front Office has proven to have the magic touch with mid-season moves (I know, in even numbered years. lol).......

Go Giants!

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No. By "Santana", I mean Santana. There have been quite a few rumors over the last few days that the Giants have been laying the ground work with Santana as a possible Plan B.

Since you brought up Shields, though, I would place him in about the same class as Santana. I am ONLY interested if the Giants get him AND another QO FA or two. Him alone would be a bad signing.

I know you meant Santana...I was trying to be cute.

I disagree on Shields...he's a much better pitcher than Santana. If we're looking at Santana, I'd rather have Peavy back for less years and less money -- they are roughly equivalent pitchers.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Or is it that they have learned their lesson about paying what is needed to get the big time FAs?

Hamilton - bust
Pujols - bust
Zito - bust
Bay - bust
Choo - bust
Etc
Etc
Etc

Yup. Bonds....bu.....

wait, HOLD ON!!

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm in the camp that is glad Lester signed elsewhere.

That contract could be an eye sore in 3-4 years. He is good....but he isn't THAT good, in my opinion.

Headley, Morse and Santana might just be enough to keep us in the Championship mix, and it won't cost us an arm and a leg. Headley might not make up the entire difference of losing Sandoval, but I expect Brandon Belt to put up much bigger power numbers next season, if he stays healthy, so that takes care of that.

Plus, this Front Office has proven to have the magic touch with mid-season moves (I know, in even numbered years. lol).......

Go Giants!

That would be an AWFUL offseason. Headley will be overpaid for what he brings, Morse is a defensive liability of tremendous degree, and Santana is not much better than either Peavy or Vogelsong.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yup. Bonds....bu.....

wait, HOLD ON!!

I never said 100% of FAs are busts, and you happen to single out the single, greatest FA signing in the sport since Curt Flood.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That would be an AWFUL offseason. Headley will be overpaid for what he brings, Morse is a defensive liability of tremendous degree, and Santana is not much better than either Peavy or Vogelsong.

All things being equal (salary and draft pick compensation), I would prefer to have Santana. Peavey and Vogey clearly work in the clubhouse on this team, but Vogey, while still effective, looks to be holding on by duct tape and bubble gum, and Peavey has looked relatively awful, save for about 2 months, the last few years. Vogey has shown that he has the post-season "it", but Peavey has shown that he does NOT have the post-season "it". Santana is a mystery in the post-season.

BroncoInCALI

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well, Headley brings equivalent numbers to Panda.........at about 1/2 the price.

Morse shouldn't cost much.

And, yes, I would rather have Peavy or Vogelsong over Santana as well. But, it doesn't seem to me that is the direction the Giants are going.

Funny, we did pretty well last season with a Headley equivalent, 2 Santana equivalents and Morse.....

But, then again, you strike me as a know it all a$$hole, so I won't even bother.

Go Giants!

Last edited by a moderator:

GiantsPackersChamps2011

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't understand why SF would even entertain the idea of Ervin at the cost of giving up the 19th pick

Ervin's a 32-year-old with a career FIP over 4, WHIP around 1.3.

I'll take McCarthy, Vogelsong, Peavy, Brett Anderson all over giving up 19th pick for Ervin

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am glad that Lester didn't take the 7/$168M from the Giants. These 30+ years old big and long FA contract never seem to work out.

If those numbers are true, it can't be the "its a business" theory as to why big name players will not sign here. Its very strange.

BroncoInCALI

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would take all of those guys over Santana as well. I was just speaking on what seems most likely given the rumors I have read of late. I have not heard much about us bringing Peavy or Vogey (who I would want most out of all of them, probably out of blind loyalty).

I have not heard any real rumors about us focusing on a replacement in LF, so I figure Morse might be brought back on a short, inexpensive deal.

As for Headley, I agree.....he is expensive, for what he brings to the table. But, it doesn't seem there are many other options out there, unless the idea is to punt on '15 like has been discussed, and I am not big on that idea.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't understand why SF would even entertain the idea of Ervin at the cost of giving up the 19th pick

Ervin's a 32-year-old with a career FIP over 4, WHIP around 1.3.

I'll take McCarthy, Vogelsong, Peavy, Brett Anderson all over giving up 19th pick for Ervin

I agree. Santana, IMHO, is not worth the pick. As I said a few posts back, I would rather have Santana than any of the other options, but the pick, to me, eliminates him from consideration. He is not a clear enough improvement to sacrifice that kind of asset.

I feel very similar regarding Shields.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If those numbers are true, it can't be the "its a business" theory as to why big name players will not sign here. Its very strange.

Taxes and established relationship with Epstein.

Add the lure of being part of a team that may be able to break the curse...

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would take all of those guys over Santana as well. I was just speaking on what seems most likely given the rumors I have read of late. I have not heard much about us bringing Peavy or Vogey (who I would want most out of all of them, probably out of blind loyalty).

I have not heard any real rumors about us focusing on a replacement in LF, so I figure Morse might be brought back on a short, inexpensive deal.

As for Headley, I agree.....he is expensive, for what he brings to the table. But, it doesn't seem there are many other options out there, unless the idea is to punt on '15 like has been discussed, and I am not big on that idea.

Also, re Headly...

We have no internal options for 3B, and there are not many/any options on the trade market. 3B is a black-hole MLB-wide. Headly may just be the ONLY option available.

GiantsPackersChamps2011

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We can probably move on from Hamels anyways.

With Dodgers acquiring Heaney from Miami plus Joc, Seager.

They can trade Kemp to SD for specs, send those specs, MIA specs, Seager to Philly for Hamels and Utley.

DJ Fieri

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,784.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At least with the Giants he would still be relevant. By going to the Cubbies Lester just became Mr. Irrelevant.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At least with the Giants he would still be relevant. By going to the Cubbies Lester just became Mr. Irrelevant.
It sounds weird but maybe he didn't want to be second fiddle to the best playoff pitcher in baseball, maybe even baseball history.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I like what the Cubs are doing, though. They have a good front office and now a good manager.

As for players...

Catcher, 1B, 2B (assuming Castro moves), SS (now AND in the future), 3B (in the future) are all solid to elite. The have one MAJOR prospect and a few more OF prospects that should put them pretty passable in the OF.

Their pitching is still suspect, but throwing an anchor like Lester at the front of the rotation could help them add smaller pieces down the road.

Who knows if the can win it all. Heck, only 1 team takes the prize each year (and only the even years are open for competition anyway). But they should be in the discussion moving forward.