• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

joey votto is a huge choker

_Xer0_

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
overrated, scared of the big moment player.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bruce was lucky to get his hit, since that was a cue shot into left field that just found a hole. That was the best-hit ball Liriano allowed against the Reds' lefties. His slider was filthy tonight, there was nothing Choo, Votto, and Bruce could do.

The whole Reds' team looked a little rattled tonight. And the Pirates were extra sharp. This loss isn't on Votto alone. Cozart let a run score by not fielding a would-be double play ball. Phillips bobbled another and only got one out. Cueto was terrible. The relievers weren't much better. Todd Frazier was the only Reds player who did much of anything positive.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MLB Tonight had a segment where they speculated that the reason Liriano is so good is that he can hide his delivery in Pittsburgh because they have that Pirates logo foliage in right-center field.

The right team won, though. The Reds are MLB's Falcons. They've had the talent but they haven't been able to live up to big moments. The Pirates took homefield and then knocked them out. They were definitely the better team.

I'm not sure what to make of the Cards-Pirates just because they've played each other so much and I don't really think either team was holding back much. If the Cardinals get home runs then they should win. If the Pirates keep the Cards bats in the park, they should win.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who would have thought Liriano would have been pitching in a situation like this and actually performing really well.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bruce was lucky to get his hit, since that was a cue shot into left field that just found a hole. That was the best-hit ball Liriano allowed against the Reds' lefties. His slider was filthy tonight, there was nothing Choo, Votto, and Bruce could do.

The whole Reds' team looked a little rattled tonight. And the Pirates were extra sharp. This loss isn't on Votto alone. Cozart let a run score by not fielding a would-be double play ball. Phillips bobbled another and only got one out. Cueto was terrible. The relievers weren't much better. Todd Frazier was the only Reds player who did much of anything positive.

The super clutch Brandon Phillips!!!

:rollseyes:

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brandon Philips hit .338 with RISP this year. Votto hit .291, and both are Gold Glove caliber guys. Yes, they both had bad games last night, but I would hardly call either a choker.

This team won't contend in the post season as long as the current coaching staff is running the ship. We knew we were going to be in this playoff game, not juggling the staff to make sure Latos or Arroyo was pitching, and running a guy out there who hasn't played in four months is absurd.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brandon Philips hit .338 with RISP this year. Votto hit .291, and both are Gold Glove caliber guys. Yes, they both had bad games last night, but I would hardly call either a choker.

This team won't contend in the post season as long as the current coaching staff is running the ship. We knew we were going to be in this playoff game, not juggling the staff to make sure Latos or Arroyo was pitching, and running a guy out there who hasn't played in four months is absurd.

they're not.

Not only had Cueto not pitched in months, but it looked like the crowd was getting to him too.

And Dusty Baker chose to go with Livan Hernandez and Salomon Torres in must-win games. Think about that for a second.

Last edited by a moderator:

ckhokie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The list of managerial gaffes this season would take pages. Dusty is a joke of a manager, and it's obvious he can't even put the best squad he has on the field. It is an absolute shame how much talent on this team was squandered.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually kind of agree that it was Votto's fault they lost... He had a terrible offensive day, while ludwick who was hitting 2(I thought that was a joke) went 3 for 4... So votto had people on base all day not to mention ludwick hit 2 doubles so he had runners in scoring position 2 of the 4 times up... Now with that said, he was not even close to being the only reason why they lost... when your team gives up 6 runs, you deserve to lose... The fourth inning though could have been a huge inning... with runners on first and second with the star of the team up(votto), this could have been huge... and Votto did the second worst thing possible, and that is to strike out...

Last edited by a moderator:

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It was not Votto's fault alone... But when your teams best player has a bad game and you lose, he should be the first person to blame...

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not even close to the first person to blame. Maybe the sixth person, but that's pushing it. Guy had what, 74 RBI all year?

ckhokie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Votto walked 135 times, had an OPS of .960, and scored over 100 runs.
Brandon Philips had 103 RBI, and Jay Bruce had 109 hitting behind Votto.

Considering we didn't have a no. 2 hitter all year, I can't be that mad at Votto for only having 73 RBIs

ckhokie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not even close to the first person to blame. Maybe the sixth person, but that's pushing it. Guy had what, 74 RBI all year?

he also had 101 runs scored and finished 5th in the NL. And led the NL in OBP for the fourth year in a row. Doesn't that count for something?

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
he also had 101 runs scored and finished 5th in the NL. And led the NL in OBP for the fourth year in a row. Doesn't that count for something?

I'll bet I can shutdown the talk here on Phillips anyway. That being by putting up a quote, by Phillips himself.

“We choked. I don’t care how my teammates feel about what I am saying now, because it’s truth. Either you win or you go home. And I’m going home. The last place I want to be is on my couch … I choked,” Phillips added. “I didn’t do [anything] to make the team win.”

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Walks and OBP are nice.... When the guy behind you gets hits. BigD stole my quote while I was driving.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Personally, I'd just blame Dusty. Or Cueto. Or BP. Or two other guys who didn't scream at Dusty for starting Cueto. Vottos not a lone soldier type of player.