• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Joey Bosa...not signed, which side do you fall?

Calm

What say there fuzzy britches, feel like talkin'?
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FWIW...they're treating him the same way they treated Rivers...and he was 4th overall.

Except Rivers was drafted well before the current CBA and draft slotting took effect. Huge difference there.

Even still, twelve years later and Bosa's signing bonus will be barely more than Rivers'. Oh, and Rivers had a prolonged holdout as well. Seems like business as usual in SD.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know it's factored in I'm just saying it's not unreasonable for the players to get a 60/40 split since the owners will continue to make money hand over fist unlike any other sport.

I don't think the financial aspect really has to do with the union being weak, to me it is just piss poor leadership. Somehow in strikes and lockouts in other sports they hold strong regardless of the money disparity. I do feel the cap is fudged up and is a problem. From my understanding the players caved on the rookie scales in order to increase the salaries of the guys we are speaking about. Not Boss or Rivers but for the guys who are actually risking something as they are an injury away from having to join the real workforce, I just thinking if the owners are allowed to discard players then every player should have a guaranteed contract.

It's simple to keep away from the Haynesworth type deals for owners, no owner is going to sign a player to a long term giant contract if that is the new standard. Sure, players get screwed with shorter deals but I think guaranteed contracts are the trade off, especially since the league will go to 18 games soon with nothing but outrage from the players since they were so weak they basically gave themselves no voice in changes within the NFL.

60/40 is doable, but not realistic...most owners, the new owners especially made their money on something other than football, so the profit there is just icing on the cake for billionaires.

Piss poor leadership is basically semantics for weak...whether it's the players or the leadership.

The players are always a step behind the owners...they wanted contract shortened and the scale for rookies...they got it, but they allowed the tag which they now understand the owners still control them for a yr or two longer than the contract...they make more with the tag, but still controlled.

100% with you on the guaranteed contracts, but the players at the top, the ones making the decisions are comfortable with the fat bonus money...not realizing 80% of the roster is not making these huge bonuses. The NFLPA seems like a top down thinking group, when the vast majority of players are in the lower middle.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Except Rivers was drafted well before the current CBA and draft slotting took effect. Huge difference there.

Even still, twelve years later and Bosa's signing bonus will be barely more than Rivers'. Oh, and Rivers had a prolonged holdout as well. Seems like business as usual in SD.

Yeah, the era doesn't matter a top 5 pick is treated the same. I'm not saying SD right, but what I am saying is they're consistent...they don't remove the offset language, and they want to split the bonus money...Rivers fought it...and lost. Bosa will most likely lose his battle as well.

Guy Incognito

Crack a window, will ya?
Hoopla Cash
$ 342.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would take a lot more than this to get me to side with a billionaire against a millionaire.

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm totally with the player on this one. Since the new CBA, no 3rd overall pick's contract has had both offset language and a deferred payout. If SD wasn't prepared to give out the same sort of deal the previous 3rd overall picks have gotten, then they should have traded down or passed on their pick.

Here, the team wants to "win"--this is the way we've always done it, and we don't care how other teams have done in the past. That kind of nit-picking, self-centered crap is exactly why Manning refused to play for them (it's hard to make Eli look smart, but SD has done it). If I was Bosa, I wouldn't accept it either.

If SD truly will not budge...is it worth it for Boas to reenter the draft next year? The other side of the coin--is this little squabble worth wasting the 3rd overall pick?

Last edited:

Calm

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, the era doesn't matter a top 5 pick is treated the same. I'm not saying SD right, but what I am saying is they're consistent...they don't remove the offset language, and they want to split the bonus money...Rivers fought it...and lost. Bosa will most likely lose his battle as well.

I'm not sure what you are saying is accurate. Until the new CBA, player salaries were not guaranteed unless specifically written into the contract as such. With the new CBA and slotted salaries, the initial contracts now have guaranteed salaries to offset the fact that they are much lower than they were prior. Hence the recent issue regarding offset language.

So again, comparing Rivers's rookie deal, which would not have had salaries guaranteed (only signing bonus) and therefore no need for offset language, to Bosa doesn't make sense.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure what you are saying is accurate. Until the new CBA, player salaries were not guaranteed unless specifically written into the contract as such. With the new CBA and slotted salaries, the initial contracts now have guaranteed salaries to offset the fact that they are much lower than they were prior. Hence the recent issue regarding offset language.

So again, comparing Rivers's rookie deal, which would not have had salaries guaranteed (only signing bonus) and therefore no need for offset language, to Bosa doesn't make sense.

I hear what you're saying and I think I understand you, but I think I'm missing your point or you're missing mine...I'm not comparing the contracts at all...only that the treatment of both draft picks was the same...Both had a signing bonus...both contracts have the offset language...Idk specifically why Rivers held out (technically they're not holding out I guess), but I think he had said they didn't remove the offset language from his contract either.

Calm

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hear what you're saying and I think I understand you, but I think I'm missing your point or you're missing mine...I'm not comparing the contracts at all...only that the treatment of both draft picks was the same...Both had a signing bonus...both contracts have the offset language...Idk specifically why Rivers held out (technically they're not holding out I guess), but I think he had said they didn't remove the offset language from his contract either.

I can't say for sure because I can't seem to find the specifics of Rivers' rookie contract other than just the total and signing bonus, but I am fairly certain that it did not have offset language. Again, offsets only became a thing when the new CBA started guaranteeing salaries for first round picks. Otherwise salaries were never guaranteed therefore there was no need for offsets.

Maybe they are using offset language in extensions and new deals after the rookie deal, but then that's a whole different situation also. Because the player has cashed in once on the rookie deal and has another opportunity to cash in on an extension. As a rookie you have no idea what will happen tomorrow, let alone 5 years from now.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't say for sure because I can't seem to find the specifics of Rivers' rookie contract other than just the total and signing bonus, but I am fairly certain that it did not have offset language. Again, offsets only became a thing when the new CBA started guaranteeing salaries for first round picks. Otherwise salaries were never guaranteed therefore there was no need for offsets.

Maybe they are using offset language in extensions and new deals after the rookie deal, but then that's a whole different situation also. Because the player has cashed in once on the rookie deal and has another opportunity to cash in on an extension. As a rookie you have no idea what will happen tomorrow, let alone 5 years from now.

Offset...I can roll with that b/c Idk for certain, but I do recall Rivers saying something about it...maybe it was his extension.

Calm

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Offset...I can roll with that b/c Idk for certain, but I do recall Rivers saying something about it...maybe it was his extension.

I know it seems like a little thing to be going back and forth on, but just trying to clarify.

And really, it IS a very little thing for the Chargers to be digging in their heels on. What are they going to do with the offset money or the interest they gain by not giving Bosa his bonus all upfront? It's such a small amount of money for them, it's crazy that they are letting it come to this.

RavensNation2158

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know what side I fall on. On one hand, I think it is asinine that players (especially rookies) make the kind of money they do. Especially rookies who have yet to set foot on the pro field - heck, this kid hasn't even practiced. I think they should have to show what they have for a year first, and then go from there. What other job pays guaranteed money??? If I don't show up, do my job, or totally suck at it - I get fired, I don't get a bonus. I don't get even more money because it was promised to me (on the hopes that I would be a rockstar) if I don't produce for the company. Nowadays players are whining over making $64mil, or not making as much as the dude in the same position on a different team. In 1989, the average player salary was $299,000. They had less personal protection in the game (head injuries, etc.) and no union to assist them if they got butthurt (legitimately or illegitimately). So it seems to me, no one in this day and age should be bitching about making a double-digit eight figure salary.

Off my soap box now. :) Moving on...

Calm

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know what side I fall on. On one hand, I think it is asinine that players (especially rookies) make the kind of money they do. Especially rookies who have yet to set foot on the pro field - heck, this kid hasn't even practiced. I think they should have to show what they have for a year first, and then go from there. What other job pays guaranteed money??? If I don't show up, do my job, or totally suck at it - I get fired, I don't get a bonus. I don't get even more money because it was promised to me (on the hopes that I would be a rockstar) if I don't produce for the company. Nowadays players are whining over making $64mil, or not making as much as the dude in the same position on a different team. In 1989, the average player salary was $299,000. They had less personal protection in the game (head injuries, etc.) and no union to assist them if they got butthurt (legitimately or illegitimately). So it seems to me, no one in this day and age should be bitching about making a double-digit eight figure salary.

Off my soap box now. :) Moving on...

I think you just confirmed which side you are on. After all, usually when someone says "One one hand..." it's usually followed by "On the other hand..." at some point.

:heh:

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So ESPN posted an article about a possible trade Cowboys/Chargers for Bosa....:L
Then half way through the article they say it wont happen.......

RavensNation2158

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you just confirmed which side you are on. After all, usually when someone says "One one hand..." it's usually followed by "On the other hand..." at some point.

:heh:

True! My bad. :D

On the other hand, I do understand him wanting to look out for himself & his family. His mom's little rants about how they should've "pulled an Eli" is a little much, though.

And if a person is so certain that they're going to do as well as everyone/themselves say they're going to do, then the word "guaranteed" really shouldn't matter so much.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know it seems like a little thing to be going back and forth on, but just trying to clarify.

And really, it IS a very little thing for the Chargers to be digging in their heels on. What are they going to do with the offset money or the interest they gain by not giving Bosa his bonus all upfront? It's such a small amount of money for them, it's crazy that they are letting it come to this.

I think it probably a principle thing for SD more than anything...particularly the offset issue, not wanting to see a player dbl dipping on them...on the bonus, not every team pays that in lump sum so I can understand that a little better, but March I don't understand...they can pay the entire thing during the season.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True! My bad. :D

On the other hand, I do understand him wanting to look out for himself & his family. His mom's little rants about how they should've "pulled an Eli" is a little much, though.

And if a person is so certain that they're going to do as well as everyone/themselves say they're going to do, then the word "guaranteed" really shouldn't matter so much.

The mom needs to STFU. If I were the Chargers I'd let him sweat it even more after hearing that.

ellupo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The mom needs to STFU. If I were the Chargers I'd let him sweat it even more after hearing that.
He is not sweating anything. He is working out and whether he plays for SD or goes back to the draft he will get paid.

RavensNation2158

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who was the last rookie who earned their keep the first year?

Not a sarcastic question. Asking you guys is always more fun than google.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've read that Bosa's deal is very similar to what Elliott signed in Dallas, its not like SD is breaking new ground here, I'm on the teams side here

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who was the last rookie who earned their keep the first year?

Not a sarcastic question. Asking you guys is always more fun than google.

Define, "earn your keep".

If you're asking who is a rookie who outplays the value of their contract in terms of what they make compared to to the rest of the league, it happens a lot. Even just on my own team, almost every year there is a rookie who is of major value contractually. Super Bowl champions today are often dictated by the value they brought by players on their rookie contracts.