• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Joey Bosa...not signed, which side do you fall?

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bosa got the same money he would have received in April and as always the 1st 3 years of a top rookie contract are fully guaranteed. He's managed to avoid camp, any risk of injury, all possible fines, and he has a 100% solid excuse for sucking in his 1st year. If a veteran had gotten away with that it would be considered a huge win for them. lol. :heh:

What do the Chargers get? Well they'll have $200K more in leverage if Bosa wants to hold out in year 4, and they could get $700k back if they cut Bosa and he plays for another team. Other than that they've pretty much wasted 25% of a $25.87M rookie contract. :rolleyes2:

Except that a veteran has a proven track-record in the NFL. They've gone through 4-5-6 years of training, practice, games, and have leverage. Bosa has yet to play an actual snap in the NFL, and has nothing to leverage. He could be all-world or all-dud. Only time will tell.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bosa got the same money he would have received in April and as always the 1st 3 years of a top rookie contract are fully guaranteed. He's managed to avoid camp, any risk of injury, all possible fines, and he has a 100% solid excuse for sucking in his 1st year. If a veteran had gotten away with that it would be considered a huge win for them. lol. :heh:

What do the Chargers get? Well they'll have $200K more in leverage if Bosa wants to hold out in year 4, and they could get $700k back if they cut Bosa and he plays for another team. Other than that they've pretty much wasted 25% of a $25.87M rookie contract. :rolleyes2:

This in bold is 100% wrong in the eyes of the fans...if nothing else the spotlight on him grew due to this delayed signing.

As for the Chargers...if they changed the offer giving him more up front cash and that's what closed the deal...then you're right...they wasted all camp for a few hundred thousand dollars, but if Bosa did indeed change agents, most likely the deal didn't change much.

Neither side won anything really...delayed signings almost always hurt both sides in terms of player production and team wins and loses.

Calm

What say there fuzzy britches, feel like talkin'?
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This in bold is 100% wrong in the eyes of the fans...if nothing else the spotlight on him grew due to this delayed signing.

As for the Chargers...if they changed the offer giving him more up front cash and that's what closed the deal...then you're right...they wasted all camp for a few hundred thousand dollars, but if Bosa did indeed change agents, most likely the deal didn't change much.

Neither side won anything really...delayed signings almost always hurt both sides in terms of player production and team wins and loses.

And if he comes in and contributes and has some success on the field, none of those fans will give a shit about what happened in the off-season.

But you can be damn certain that the reputation the Chargers ALREADY had throughout the league has only been cemented by their actions in this situation. The people doing business with them just got themselves a reminder.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And if he comes in and contributes and has some success on the field, none of those fans will give a shit about what happened in the off-season.

But you can be damn certain that the reputation the Chargers ALREADY had throughout the league has only been cemented by their actions in this situation. The people doing business with them just got themselves a reminder.

You're right about Bosa, but that kinda works both ways...IF the Chargers are 10-6 in playoff contention...fans will forget how shitty the FO is and FA players won't give a rats ass about their reputation either as long as the money is comparable.

Bottomline...winning cures most ills in the NFL.

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If the Rams pulled this crap with our top pick I would be posting abuse about how bad the Rams management was. I would support the player for not giving in to such crap. I'm a fan and you're not speaking for me. I believe if you're picked #1 you should get what the #1 pick should get. If you're picked #3 you should get what the #3 pick should get. The Chargers don't agree. As far as I know since the 2010 CBA the number of drafted rookies who didn't receive their full signing bonus during their rookie year is 0. The term is pretty clear.

Signing bonus - a bonus you receive when you sign.

It's not a bonus you may or may not get in a year or 2, or whenever it might be convenient for the team. It should have been his money, working for him, from Day 1. The 2011 CBA didn't intend for signing bonus money to be split so more than 25% of the signing bonus could be used as leverage against a contract dispute in year 4. (Contracts used to have delayed 2nd year signing bonuses when rookies signed 6 year contracts, but it stopped with the 2011 CBA). On top of that the Chargers want additional leverage. Either 4th year money is guaranteed unconditionally or it isn't. If you don't want to guarantee it then don't pick in a spot that guarantees it. If you don't want him to play for someone else then don't cut him. Expecting compensation for someone signing a player you've chosen to get rid of is ridiculous.

This dispute was never about either side winning. Bosa was always going to sign and he was always going to get near enough the same money and conditions when he eventually did. This was about him punishing the Chargers for trying to weasel 1.5% or so extra value out of his rookie contract. They were always going to get that extra value but effectively it has cost them 1 year of quality play from their top pick.

Fuck the Chargers and their shitty management.
Winning won't cure their ills because winning isn't their primary objective.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you're picked #3 you should get what the #3 pick should get.

The 2011 CBA didn't intend for signing bonus money to be split so more than 25% of the signing bonus could be used as leverage against a contract dispute in year 4. (Contracts used to have delayed 2nd year signing bonuses when rookies signed 6 year contracts, but it stopped with the 2011

On top of that the Chargers want additional leverage

:clap:

Absolutely! Not enough for the Chargers that the CBA slotted Rookies and you have no more ridiculous rookie contracts, they want to squeeze every possible advantage they can from a rookie. What scrooges they are.

images%20scrooge.jpg

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Rams pulled this crap with our top pick I would be posting abuse about how bad the Rams management was. I would support the player for not giving in to such crap. I'm a fan and you're not speaking for me. I believe if you're picked #1 you should get what the #1 pick should get. If you're picked #3 you should get what the #3 pick should get. The Chargers don't agree. As far as I know since the 2010 CBA the number of drafted rookies who didn't receive their full signing bonus during their rookie year is 0. The term is pretty clear.

Signing bonus - a bonus you receive when you sign.

It's not a bonus you may or may not get in a year or 2, or whenever it might be convenient for the team. It should have been his money, working for him, from Day 1. The 2011 CBA didn't intend for signing bonus money to be split so more than 25% of the signing bonus could be used as leverage against a contract dispute in year 4. (Contracts used to have delayed 2nd year signing bonuses when rookies signed 6 year contracts, but it stopped with the 2011 CBA). On top of that the Chargers want additional leverage. Either 4th year money is guaranteed unconditionally or it isn't. If you don't want to guarantee it then don't pick in a spot that guarantees it. If you don't want him to play for someone else then don't cut him. Expecting compensation for someone signing a player you've chosen to get rid of is ridiculous.

This dispute was never about either side winning. Bosa was always going to sign and he was always going to get near enough the same money and conditions when he eventually did. This was about him punishing the Chargers for trying to weasel 1.5% or so extra value out of his rookie contract. They were always going to get that extra value but effectively it has cost them 1 year of quality play from their top pick.

Winning won't cure their ills because winning isn't their primary objective.

Great post...this in bold I agree 100%

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Lots of people have this mindset, and it's a stupid one. It's called negotiating. There is no right or wrong side to it; they BOTH have to come to an agreement, and they will. That's why people blaming one side for the CBA delay was dumb.

This is a non-story the NFL media curculates over & over again in the offseason to get everyone riled up about football, and it works. It's happened just about every year since I was a kid.

So tired of being right all the time.