• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Joe Mixon reaches plea deal.

Goldbug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NORMAN — Oklahoma freshman running back Joe Mixon reached a plea agreement Thursday, avoiding a misdemeanor trial for acts resulting in gross injury. Mixon’s trial had been scheduled for early January.
Photo - University of Oklahoma freshman Joe Mixon and his attorneys walk into Judge Steve Stice's courtroom in Cleveland County in Norman, Monday August 18, 2014. Photo By Steve Gooch, The Oklahoman
University of Oklahoma freshman Joe Mixon and his attorneys walk into Judge Steve Stice's courtroom in Cleveland County in Norman, Monday August 18, 2014. Photo By Steve Gooch, The Oklahoman

Mixon, 18, entered an Alford Plea, continuing to assert his innocence.

Mixon was given a one-year deferred sentence, 100 hours of community service and cognitive behavior counseling.

Mixon’s attorney, Kevin Finlay, released a statement shortly after the agreement became public.

“Today, Joe has made the decision that entering an Alford Plea to the misdemeanor and accepting the short period of probation was the best course of action at this point in his life. Joe does not want to be a further distraction to his family, friends, teammates, and the University of Oklahoma,” Finlay’s statement read. “Joe would like to apologize to everyone affected by this unfortunate chain of events. Joe looks forward to continuing towards his goal of becoming a successful student and athlete at the University of Oklahoma.”

Mixon will be required to pay a $100 fine, and $100 for a victim compensation assessment.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems fair. Pretty much what I thought would happen.

Goldbug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder what, if anything, happened to the girl. She had pending charges and had recently violated a judge's orders plus she was drinking underage at the time of the incident with Joe Mixon. I'd bet even money nothing. They let all that slide.

HizzleRocker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder what, if anything, happened to the girl. She had pending charges and had recently violated a judge's orders plus she was drinking underage at the time of the incident with Joe Mixon. I'd bet even money nothing. They let all that slide.

Nice try. To answer your question charges are still pending and No they did not just let it go.

She plead to 1yr probation on 7-2-13. A warrant was not issued until 7-24-14. The warrant is completely invalid. They were well past the year. I honestly don't know what the hold up is, but I imagine it will be dismissed. It has to.

But while she is being drug through the ringer on an invalid warrant, he is getting an Alford plea to a misdemeanor, and getting a deferred sentence. So no felony even though her face broke in 4 places. He gets to assert his innocence for the plea (which is crazy rare). And if he doesn't get arrested for the next year charges get dismissed and expunged. And he was not even ordered to pay restitution for breaking her face.

Meanwhile she is still facing an invalid warrant, filed 23 days after her probation ended, out of time.

Great justice you guys got there in Cleveland county ok.

Goldbug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice try. To answer your question charges are still pending and No they did not just let it go.

She plead to 1yr probation on 7-2-13. A warrant was not issued until 7-24-14. The warrant is completely invalid. They were well past the year. I honestly don't know what the hold up is, but I imagine it will be dismissed. It has to.

But while she is being drug through the ringer on an invalid warrant, he is getting an Alford plea to a misdemeanor, and getting a deferred sentence. So no felony even though her face broke in 4 places. He gets to assert his innocence for the plea (which is crazy rare). And if he doesn't get arrested for the next year charges get dismissed and expunged. And he was not even ordered to pay restitution for breaking her face.

Meanwhile she is still facing an invalid warrant, filed 23 days after her probation ended, out of time.

Great justice you guys got there in Cleveland county ok.

HR, I'm not privy to everything that's going on with her cases but I would think it's safe to assume her problems are compounded by farting off a judge's orders that she had previously agreed to. I (as the majority of OU fans) agree with you that he needed to have something done to him but this was Mixon's first time in legal trouble. She's got a history and that's very likely working against her. The prosecutors and judge probably don't trust her. Regarding the warrant: I asked my attorney in Norman about that and he said he wouldn't recommend me thinking a warrant that's a year old would save anyone. All it would take is about an hour to get a new warrant issued while someone was held in custody. It's a technicality at best.

Pariah

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When Mixon transfers next season nobody will care.

Goldbug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When Mixon transfers next season nobody will care.

And cost himself a year of eligibility? He's already been laying out a year. Sounds like he's willing to stay at OU especially now after he gets this behind him without a trial, etc.

HizzleRocker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
HR, I'm not privy to everything that's going on with her cases but I would think it's safe to assume her problems are compounded by farting off a judge's orders that she had previously agreed to. I (as the majority of OU fans) agree with you that he needed to have something done to him but this was Mixon's first time in legal trouble. She's got a history and that's very likely working against her. The prosecutors and judge probably don't trust her. Regarding the warrant: I asked my attorney in Norman about that and he said he wouldn't recommend me thinking a warrant that's a year old would save anyone. All it would take is about an hour to get a new warrant issued while someone was held in custody. It's a technicality at best.

If you are on probation for 1 year - they only have 1 year to file a warrant. Once that year ends you are off probation. No warrant filed after is legal. They can file as many as they want, but they have to allege that you violated your probation BEFORE your probation ends. Otherwise they have no jurisdiction.

I do not think they should have thrown the book at him (meaning prison time). 18 year old kid, first offense... You should be given at least a chance to rehabilitate before going to the penn, or becoming a convicted felon for the rest of your life, imo. But I stand by that he should have gone on felony probation on a guilty plea. 3-5 years or so would be pretty standard. I don't have a problem with a deferred sentence and giving him a chance to earn the right to clear his record. But make no doubt - he got special treatment.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you are on probation for 1 year - they only have 1 year to file a warrant. Once that year ends you are off probation. No warrant filed after is legal. They can file as many as they want, but they have to allege that you violated your probation BEFORE your probation ends. Otherwise they have no jurisdiction.

I do not think they should have thrown the book at him (meaning prison time). 18 year old kid, first offense... You should be given at least a chance to rehabilitate before going to the penn, or becoming a convicted felon for the rest of your life, imo. But I stand by that he should have gone on felony probation on a guilty plea. 3-5 years or so would be pretty standard. I don't have a problem with a deferred sentence and giving him a chance to earn the right to clear his record. But make no doubt - he got special treatment.

So did the girl, who should've had assault charges filed. He was allowed to enter that plea, and was granted that sentence because everyone knew the DA was looking for a way out of this God awful situation. He flat out pussed out and knows damn well that girl deserved charges.

Goldbug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You are correct. But she had lied to the judge during the probation period when she violated his order. That was the technicality my attorney mentioned. They hadn't pursued it......yet. I'm no lawyer, maybe you are, but my attorney was insistent that the prosecutors can mess you up if you have outright violated a court order anytime during probation. In his words, "when you've done something like that, the court can mess with you especially if you appear again shortly in that court on other charges". I have used him several times on stuff over the years and he is an excellent attorney.

To your other point of preferential treatment: most kids get it the first time around. She had already gotten treated with kid gloves in that court. You and I both expect it. Not because of their being athletes but because they are young, stupid and society in general has become lenient. It would have been the same thing in Dallas, Houston, Galveston, San Antonio, etc. There was no "conspiracy" in Norman.

occupant

Resident Inhabitant and nerve striker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,345.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But make no doubt - he got special treatment.

Sergio Kindle nearly killed someone driving drunk and didn't even get CITED. Let's not get too worked up.

Goldbug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Switzer went on a pretty long drought himself.

Well since this year's shot in the ass, next year Stoops will be going on 15 years. Name another OU coach who went that long between National Championships. Unless Bob dumps his OC, he'll be going on 16 years after next season when we will be absolutely loaded and stuck with the same tired old play calling.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well since this year's shot in the ass, next year Stoops will be going on 15 years. Name another OU coach who went that long between National Championships. Unless Bob dumps his OC, he'll be going on 16 years after next season when we will be absolutely loaded and stuck with the same tired old play calling.

Agreed. This team has no shot at a NC until Heupel is cut loose. I won't be giving them any of my dollars until they do.

Wishbone

Robust Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OU might have the best recruiting class in the nation next year without bring in a single juco or freshman.

Mixon, Mayfield, Shannon, and DGB.

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed. This team has no shot at a NC until Heupel is cut loose. I won't be giving them any of my dollars until they do.

Venables should have been fired after 55-19, yet 7 years later, there he was.
Don't hold your breath on Heupel leaving, unless Bob has somehow grown some balls.

Goldbug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's complicated a bit since David Boren's son is married to Heupel's sister. I don't think most people know that.

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's complicated a bit since David Boren's son is married to Heupel's sister. I don't think most people know that.

Shit, I didn't know that.
Well, just give him a job like they gave to Merv Johnson to do nothing at and get paid for it.