• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Joe Looney

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
This guy needs to step it up & steal Goodwin's job from him. A couple of months ago, I wanted Johnathan Cooper to be the new C (or Chance Warmack if he fell 11 or 12), but now they both look like top 10 picks. :(

So there aren't a lot of options at C. Barrett Jones maybe. But if Looney can step it up at a new position and excel the way Boone did at RG, that would be sweet.

Didn't he play like zero snaps last year though? I know Kilgore was ahead of him on the depth chart (he had a year of experience and 2.5 years on Looney), but I think Looney has more potential.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Him or Kilgore. At this point we also gotta wonder if Spillman or McBath can replace Goldson.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Looney got zero snaps last year and I don't even think he was active for a game? Kilgore got 77 snaps this last year (66 run plays, 11 pass plays). 16 of those 77 plays were in the Buffalo blowout.

Smalls

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
As of right now, I expect Goodwin to be the starter again next year. Perhaps Kilgore will push him. I noticed several places said Goodwin played well last year, though his low shotgun/pistol snaps were aggravating. Looney might be the guy to replace Leonard Davis in the heavy formations if we don't sign a vet?

EaseUrStorm

Chief Imagination Officer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
My gut feel is that they have Kilgore slotted to take over at C and Looney will be the backup G who could eventually press Boone for playing time. If Boone were to get injured, he's the type of player who might come in and steal a job (similar to Kaep/AS situation).

Looney was hurt coming into last year so was probably slotted as a redshirt year. We'll see what they have in store for him. I know with putting Boone at RG that they will put the top 5 lineman out there regardless of natural position, so you never know - he could take the C position. But my gut is telling me Kilgore will get a real hard look.

erckm510

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Niners like the cohesiveness of the O-Line and the leadership Goodwin provides. Only for this year tho. I think Goodwin is gone after this season.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
too bad we didn't grab konz. we might have to wait until next year to grab a center.

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought I read somewhere that Looney was slated to be our next swing O-Lineman who can back up at several different positions.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
So does anyone have faith in Looney or Kilgore to be the next starting C, or do you think the Niners should make C a priority in the draft?

Trade up for Cooper?
Jones in the 3rd?
Travis Frederick in the 3rd?

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So does anyone have faith in Looney or Kilgore to be the next starting C, or do you think the Niners should make C a priority in the draft?

Trade up for Cooper?
Jones in the 3rd?
Travis Frederick in the 3rd?

Any GM that rades up for a C needs to be immediately socked in the face. Matter of fact any GM that drafts one in the first half of the first half should be socked in the face, I equade this to the Raiders drafting a kicker in the 1st.

We have 3 centers on the roster right now, I would be incredibly shocked if we drafted one. Kilgore is the future at that position, this will be Goodwin's last season there.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Any GM that rades up for a C needs to be immediately socked in the face. Matter of fact any GM that drafts one in the first half of the first half should be socked in the face, I equade this to the Raiders drafting a kicker in the 1st.

We have 3 centers on the roster right now, I would be incredibly shocked if we drafted one. Kilgore is the future at that position, this will be Goodwin's last season there.

It's funny you shouls say that because Janikowski was picked 1 pick behind Julian Peterson, and I think he was the better pick. I wish the Niners took Janikowski instead of JP.

This is like when people used to say that drafting any guard in the first round is incredibly stupid. I don't agree at all. Cooper in the 20's would be a great pick IMO. He's everything you would want in an OL. He'd be an immediate starter and a staple on the OL for 10 years (health pending).

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's funny you shouls say that because Janikowski was picked 1 pick behind Julian Peterson, and I think he was the better pick. I wish the Niners took Janikowski instead of JP.

This is like when people used to say that drafting any guard in the first round is incredibly stupid. I don't agree at all. Cooper in the 20's would be a great pick IMO. He's everything you would want in an OL. He'd be an immediate starter and a staple on the OL for 10 years (health pending).

Lol not me. Only the Raiders would make that pick, honsetly. The worse drafting franchise in recent history.

This isn't even clsoe tot he same thing. Probably 70% of decent OG's could be a good center, the position doesn't take near as much skill or talent to play. What the posiion does require is for the player to be smart and know assignments. As the 49ers have proven time and again you can switch players from other positions and turn them into good Centers (Newberry, Heitman, Baas, etc.).

This is all moot as we have our heir apparent at C on the roster right now in Kilgore, the staff has been grooming him to take over and that is exactly what will happen.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I'm a little skeptical Kilgore is the next great (or even above average) Niner center when the Niners went with Leonard Davis most of the time as the swing OL. Kilgore was 25 last year, so it's not like he was a baby OL.

Looney, on the other hand, was only 22 and a rookie, so I'm a little more optimistic about his future.

EaseUrStorm

Chief Imagination Officer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I don't want them to burn a pick on a high C this year at all. One of those two can emerge and get the job done.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Is that being realistic or optimistic?

Ok, Cooper notwithstanding...

If the Niners drafted Barrett Jones or Travis Frederick, so you think one of them would emerge as the starter over the guys currently on the Niners' roster? Would they upgrade the position or just provide depth?

(This is more of a draft junkie question).

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
jones looks like a great pick in the 3rd

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I tend to think either Jones or Frederick would probably beat out Kilgore or Looney. I hope I'm wrong, but they just seem like better OL.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Take a look later on in the draft, but I certainly wouldn't trade up and wouldn't be thrilled if we drafted a guy in the first or even the second.

The more I think about it, the more I want to limit our picks, maybe go for a couple impact ones - though as I say that, I must admit I hate trading up in the early rounds - and create draft capital for next year. We need to address a few spots, for sure, but we've also added some interesting players over the past couple years, and I'm curious to see what they have to offer before immediately seeking their replacements. Looney and Kilgore fall into this category, as do guys like Cam Johnson, Darius Fleming, and Trenton Robinson.

Obviously the presence of these players should in no way prevent us from adding other players at those positions, but I'm not going to freak out if we don't. I think safety is the only spot where we absolutely must add a body or two relatively early (first three rounds?).