• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Jocketty WLW interview 10/23

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting...among other topics,

Walt says the team needs to be more on the same page, unified, accountable. Votto needs to do certain things or maybe hit in a different spot in the lineup. He says he hasn't shopped BP but wouldn't rule it out. Said BP made mistakes with the "liar" and Rosecrans "fatass" comments, and Dusty should have stepped in but didnt. Says Choo made comments that he might be interested in staying, and the Reds would like to keep him. Says done if the coaching staff needs addressed. Lots of others are talking, Ludwick of all people suggesting not everyone gave full effort...I take it with a grain of salt.

I'd say the manager that NEVER ONCE took blame for a mistake or loss was the biggest offender of lack of accountability. He's gone. There is speculation Cueto said no to the idea of being a reliever in post season- and Dusty started him in the play in. Dusty went on record for 2 years saying why Chapman couldn't start, then Chapman supposedly said he preferred to close. Dusty isn't accountable for either.

The bottom line is, Dusty was finally held accountable for not only not being accountable, but not making his players accountable either. Maybe Dusty was teaching more than we knew. Can Price add a little red ass and chum accountability from excused apathy ? Maybe. Can he keep BP from exposing he's a punk, or that Ludwick is only a good clubhouse presence when he's playing, and the fans cheer him louder than his replacement ? How can you tell Votto that hitting .300 with 20+ HR and setting an all time record for times on base in the oldest franchise, wasn't enough, and make THAT work for you ?

There are player issues, always are...made worse by a stubborn, unfundamentally stubborn and opinionated and complacent manager and staff. They will have a different staff, but the pressure is all on Jocketty now. Price will need Choo, or a replacement. He can replace Arroyo, but might need a closer. If Votto is not the 3 hitter, they don't have one on this roster right now.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Part of what Walt said was to make Cunningham look a little more civilized, if that's possible.
I did think his comments about Votto were telling. Not sure if JV goes along with that.

Here's the link for the podcast. HERE

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hard for me to criticize JV for his season...he set a record for times on base and hit .300 with RISP. I'd say the fact he had a .227 hitter as a nearly automatic out in front of him and a guy that hit .261 with 18HR, that hit into more DP's than hit homers speaks to Votto's lower than expected run production and high walk rate. JV is pitched tougher than anyone in the NL, so I can't honestly believe that having him swing at more pitches low and 4 inches outside could result in say, a .290 BA reduction, and add 10 HR and 25 RBI.

I'd argue that if I were JV too.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think comments made in October are comments made in October.
Votto's skill set isn't being challenged. I think Price sees a different type of offense that caters to giving his starting pitchers a better leverage.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know if he will be able to hit a bull in the ass with a 2 X 4, but I'm a fan of what Hamilton might bring- a guy that when he goes get on with no one in front of him on the bases, is going to make the opposition concentrate on things they would rather not have to. It will generate more fastballs to the hitter, but the Reds lineup needs to be schooled on how to deal with that runner- not something they've ever had to deal with in the previous thalt shalt not steal until you have 2 strikes dumbass philosophy. With Hamilton, they don't need to swing at a ball a foot outside to "protect" the runner..take the pitch as a ball, let him steal them paruse your options- do it again, hit and run, bunt him to 3b, walk also, or just hit the grooveball into the river. Beats the hell out of hit or starve.

The THREAT of small ball can lead to more runs, and more HR... But like all threats become meaningless if they aren't acted on, the Reds have to get a lot smarter to make it a part of an effective offense. They say Price is intelligent. I hope that is true. Sorry, Dusty wasn't baseball IQ intelligent, and neither are his teams. Our Reds lived and died on the low odds miracle, inferior competition, 2 out hit or solo homer, and frankly, that allows the opposition to concentrate on their own plans, not the Reds.

I hope to see improvement there, and if the fastest baserunner in history can't aid that, I dont know what will.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was so weary of an offense based on random luck ...

Hamilton needs to remember not to get himself out. He hits it on the grass and he's at least 50-50 to end up with the equivalent of a double. He's going to be thrown out but the time he was this year, he foolishly (or by Dusty magic) decided to go on the first pitch. Gotta make the pitcher sweat a little.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im a stopwatch and math kind of guy...if you gotta guy that can do one thing- run to 2b- within a second of the time it takes 3 guys to do 5 things ( P throws, C catches & throws, infielder catches and tags), I run as early as possible. You have more options with a runner at 2b with 1 strike, than with a couple of strikes.. or even a couple of balls-at 2-0 the P is more likely to just put the hitter on if the steal is successful, and with 2 strikes, the hitter is more likely to get himself out without advancing the runner.

Assuming Hamilton leads off, a big reason I don't want Votto hitting 2nd is that they already walk him all the time. With 1b open and BH at 2b, walking Votto isn't the end of the world, but it may be the end of a rally if the next guy hits .040 lower than Votto, and hits 50 more groundballs a year. I'd rather have a guy that can get BH to 3rd with 1 out, and if they walk Votto, you still have the DP to worry about but you add the possibility of scoring on a sac fly... you don't have that option with runners at 1st & 2nd no outs.
Yep, odds are better of a bigger run total, but I'll take 1 run in the 1st inning more often over the less frequent 3 run 1st inning.

Almost like arbitrage, if you can get on, steal, advance, walk and sac... And repeat as often as possible, your going to manufacture a run or two a game, and when you do I'll off the Dusty ball- you blow them out. This isn't a team anymore that has bad pitching that required 3 HR games to win- the Reds starved last year losing 1-0 or 2-1 a lot.

The HR distance varies from park to park, but the bases are always 90 feet. I like using that constant to eliminate scoring variables occasionally. Just saying.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I buy into the math of giving a hitter a shot at it with less than 2 strikes.
I think with Hamilton, teams are likely to pitch out on the first pitch, or throw a fastball the catcher can handle.

Hard to say with Votto. He seems intent on getting the perfect pitch but I think part of that has been the Reds hack-and-hope offense. Votto has been reduced to getting on base any way he can, knowing that he's likely to stand at first base and wait.

I haven't seen the lineup plan yet but if this offense doesn't improve, this is a 4th place team.

WvuDieHard

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,954.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I buy into the math of giving a hitter a shot at it with less than 2 strikes.
I think with Hamilton, teams are likely to pitch out on the first pitch, or throw a fastball the catcher can handle.

Hard to say with Votto. He seems intent on getting the perfect pitch but I think part of that has been the Reds hack-and-hope offense. Votto has been reduced to getting on base any way he can, knowing that he's likely to stand at first base and wait.

I haven't seen the lineup plan yet but if this offense doesn't improve, this is a 4th place team.

That is exactly my thinking too JohnU. This team had good pitching and good defense behind it but the offensive production was ...shall we say offensive. This team is a better hitting team than it showed us this year and a good hitting coach will straighten that out with a better approach.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The crap I am hearing is that a pitching coach can make pitchers better but a hitting coach can't do anything for hitters because they're already set in their ways. I find that to be a load of horse shit. Dustmop's strategy was 'swing early in the count so you don't get fooled with 2 strikes.'

Jacoby decided to preach 'hack and hope you don't go into a slump.'

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's about having a sound offensive philosophy, that the entire team participates in. That is missing on this team.

Choo and Votto have a plan at the plate, and do make adjustments to the situation. Bruce showed strides by taking the outside breaker oppage more. BP, not so much...Frazier is a 55 ft breaking ball sucker. Cozart is a pulled fastball or else. Ludwick is a first pitch luck and lunge hitter.

This team needs a hitting coach that professes contact, staying inside the ball and advancing runners. This team begs for a basestealer, and Jay Bruce as a 4 hitter. They need TWO guys on base in front of Votto, and people will find someone else to bitch about.

Coaches are listened to only when they are percieved as:
1) critical to keeping a hitter in the lineup or on the team. Stubbs and Encarnacion didn't have to learn anything to keep their job...a bad thing.
2) respected enough for hitters to seek them first. Who was Jacobys signature hitter ? Nada.

Price had Bailey in a couple of no-option years after getting hammered, and lots of bullpenners with no guarantees, and some guys that didnt need much help-Cueto, Latos, Arroyo. I'm not taking anything away from him, but he had advantages Jacoby didnt, including respect.

Jacoby needs to go away.

Ken Griffey, Jr...is a hitting coach. In case they haven't noticed, a better hitting coach than a minor league manager. Lloyd McClendon is too, but might wind up as the skipper in Detroit. Chris Sabo has done done minor league work of note, but may be too much of an oddball for these kids. There are plenty if guys out there - they won't miss Jacoby.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I meant to day Griffey SR...geez. I wouldn't let Jr. near a player in this dugout...maybe a good reason not to hire Sr., on second thought.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
KG Jr. probably would be an upgrade over Jacoby.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
KGJ would be taking a nap during games.

Tubbs1518

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,077.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
KGJ has the best pure swing in baseball history. I'd love Bruce to spend some time with Junior.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Genetics gave KGJ his swing. His upbringing gave him his pizz poor attitude, which I hope he spreads to no one else. Bruce has a decent swing, it's his perception of the strike zone, and ability to recognize ( instead of guess) pitches that is his problem. Not sure a see-and-hit-natural hitter like KGJ could help anyone with that. Most good hitting coaches have LEARNED the semantics of hitting and have a better chance of developing or tweaking than the superstar sluggers than never had to think much, IMO. It's why great hitters aren't usually great hitting coaches I think. There are exceptions- they say Tony Gwynn is a great coach- it's just rare.

I also have a bias toward managers that had more "strategic thinking" as a position player-catcher, infielder, or even pitcher, rather than outfielders- who IMO have to think less and know less about semantics of strategy than any other position.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
More than anecdotal evidence suggesting old 2nd string catchers make great managers.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think part of the problem with getting well prepared MLB managers, coaches, etc. is they still want to pay minor league staff like minor league players (and MLB staff less than bonus baby minor league players). Not that many guys willing to do that I guess. In assuming that's why some guys like Larkin and O'Neill took big dollar jobs with ESPN or title only front office jobs instead of going back to the dugout for factory worker wages.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I imagine those 1-year contracts are a bit distracting as well.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep, but aren't these guys supposed to be retired, or at least finished playing ? Been there done that-by the time these guys are in their 30's, it's about time to figure out what they want to be when they grow up. Not many occupations guaranteeing any length of time to employment. Welcome to the real world.