• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Jimmy G. is a Raider....Darnold is a 49er

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
San Francisco -- The edge of the western world.
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Darnold fits in an offense designed for Lance. The 49ers need a 3rd QB if Purdy won't be ready until October. It makes sense subject to contract terms.

I like Garoppolo as a mid-tier starting QB subject to a $16M salary + playing time bonuses. I don't like him at $72M over 3 years. Carr is a better QB but I wouldn't have retained him at $74M over 2 years.

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like Darnold's deal is a 1 year contract. $4.5 million total with $3.5 million guaranteed

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like Darnold's deal is a 1 year contract. $4.5 million total with $3.5 million guaranteed
That's a good contract for the 49ers. Darnold is capable of average starter QB play but he just makes too many mistakes to be counted on. Maybe he's gambling on winning the starter's job but I would have thought he would have been better off as a #2 QB behind a not great or injury prone starter - such as Garoppolo with the Raiders. He could end up buried on the 49ers depth chart. Maybe the 49ers will trade Lance mid-season.

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Darnold's deal has $7M worth of incentives. Obviously he's likely to see little or none of that money, but the contract looks less 1-sided now.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,296.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Darnold fits in an offense designed for Lance. The 49ers need a 3rd QB if Purdy won't be ready until October. It makes sense subject to contract terms.

I like Garoppolo as a mid-tier starting QB subject to a $16M salary + playing time bonuses. I don't like him at $72M over 3 years. Carr is a better QB but I wouldn't have retained him at $74M over 2 years.
24 mill per is relatively peanuts for a starting signal caller.

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He really is.

He could very easily be the starter with Purdy most likely not ready for the start of season.
He likely will be the starter but they really need to get Lance some playing time in real games to find out if he can develop. I get they don't want to get off to a bumpy start but something's got to happen there or they will have wasted that pick they gave up so much for. Darnold is a cheap emergency backup that should be holding a clipboard and only used if they have their usual injury woes at the position.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,296.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He likely will be the starter but they really need to get Lance some playing time in real games to find out if he can develop. I get they don't want to get off to a bumpy start but something's got to happen there or they will have wasted that pick they gave up so much for. Darnold is a cheap emergency backup that should be holding a clipboard and only used if they have their usual injury woes at the position.
The NFC is also a lot weaker than the AFC....this would be the most offensive talent Darnold has had....

And that doesn't even include the dominant defense.

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
24 mill per is relatively peanuts for a starting signal caller.
Yeah, it is these days for sure. Sadly, in Jimmy's case, that's 24 mil for half a season or so because he's so brittle. Not sure where your Raiders are headed DJ.

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The NFC is also a lot weaker than the AFC....this would be the most offensive talent Darnold has had....

And that doesn't even include the dominant defense.
Yeah, but even though he cut it down in limited games last year, Darnold is still a turnover risk. He's a spot starter at best if they have injuries which San Fran seems to have a lot of at the position. There's a reason he was a cheap signing. He is strictly an insurance policy. They need to find out what Lance can do asap so they can make an informed decision on whether to pick up his option this time next year or whatever. They have to let Lance play some before Purdy comes back because it will be Purdy's job unless he falters.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brittle bitch. I just don't know what people see in this guy.

Never understood the love for Jimmy Gporlrrlrolrrololol.

The guy had one DECENT season (how he made the AP team is still beyond me) while having one of the best defenses in the league and a HOF tight end. Never understood it.

And Purdy will be a bust too.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,296.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, but even though he cut it down in limited games last year, Darnold is still a turnover risk. He's a spot starter at best if they have injuries which San Fran seems to have a lot of at the position. There's a reason he was a cheap signing. He is strictly an insurance policy. They need to find out what Lance can do asap so they can make an informed decision on whether to pick up his option this time next year or whatever. They have to let Lance play some before Purdy comes back because it will be Purdy's job unless he falters.
Darnold has the chance to claim the job for himself.

It is all up to him.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Darnold has the chance to claim the job for himself.

It is all up to him.

Sam Darnold sucks... he just plain sucks! I've seen quarterbacks suck before but he is the suckiest suck that ever sucked..

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Never understood the love for Jimmy Gporlrrlrolrrololol.

The guy had one DECENT season (how he made the AP team is still beyond me) while having one of the best defenses in the league and a HOF tight end. Never understood it.

And Purdy will be a bust too.
I know some 49er fans and the media are all gaga over what Purdy did in limited time last season but I'm not sure he will be able to duplicate that over a full season. Especially when the star players miss some time as they all will. Kittle goes down every season at some point and McCaffery has a history of injuries at a position that every team struggles to keep guys healthy. San fran has a lot of talent but they need a QB that can carry the team when some of that talent is missing.