• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Jimmy G. is a Raider....Darnold is a 49er

molsaniceman

I aint drunk Im just drinking
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,327.46
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Profootballtalk's Mike Florio reports Jimmy Garoppolo can be released without penalty by the Raiders this summer because of his 2022 foot injury.​

Garoppolo's deal originally included an $11.25 million signing bonus, but that was converted to part of his base salary after he failed his Raiders physical this spring. Garoppolo can be cut for "any reason" related to his foot, but his $22.5 million salary becomes guaranteed once he "passes a physical exam, is active for at least one regular-season game, and does not suffer re-injury to his left foot." It would certainly seem Garoppolo's physical was most disturbing to the Silver and Black. What was already looking like a questionable signing now has the makings of a potential fiasco.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,296.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last season he showed some progress.....4-2 as a starter, some of you like to use that.....record for a QB.

58.6%

Not great but he should be able to get it up to 60-62% with Kittle and McCaffrey as his dumpoff options when a play breaks down.

190ypg

Not great either but he only attempted 23.3 passes per game. Throw a little more with better deep threats and that should increase.

8.2ypa

Very good and likely to be about the same with the receivers the Niners have.

Career high 92.6 Passer Rating.

Not saying he is the 2nd coming of Montana or anything but he should be able to give them a solid signal caller.

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
24 mill per is relatively peanuts for a starting signal caller.
Garoppolo has missed 31 starts over the last 5 years. $24M is only ok if he plays.

rjshull

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Never understood the love for Jimmy Gporlrrlrolrrololol.

The guy had one DECENT season (how he made the AP team is still beyond me) while having one of the best defenses in the league and a HOF tight end. Never understood it.

And Purdy will be a bust too.
WTF are you smoking? Purdy is a 7th round pick. There is absolutely no chance he will ever be considered a bust. What he did last year alone destroys the bust title. He might not live up to what he did last year, but he will always be better than Lance and Jimmy.

Reactions: DJ

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WTF are you smoking? Purdy is a 7th round pick. There is absolutely no chance he will ever be considered a bust. What he did last year alone destroys the bust title. He might not live up to what he did last year, but he will always be better than Lance and Jimmy.

sarcastic-okay.gif

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,296.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That part of him being considered a bust was true. When you picked last your career is basically gravy.

1 season means he better than Jimmy G? No, say what you will about him but Jimmy G has had a pretty solid career.

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree that you can't really use the bust title. I do think he regresses back some but time will tell on him. Lance is the x factor for you guys. Shanny really needs to get him significant playing time so the team can figure out what he is or isn't. They have to find out if the investment is worth it, imo. So I can't say Purdy will or won't be better than Lance at this point because we just don't know.

rjshull

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you even understand what a bust is? A 7th rounder actually making the roster, let alone starting their rookie year and taking your team to the championship game permanently destroys any chance at the bust moniker.

As far as being better than Jimmy G, I was referring to the expectation coming out of the draft as a 2nd rounder, and at the same point in their careers, in which Jimmy was a backup. The only thing you can compare is the past, and you always compare people at the same point in their careers. Is Jimmy even close? Not at all

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you even understand what a bust is? A 7th rounder actually making the roster, let alone starting their rookie year and taking your team to the championship game permanently destroys any chance at the bust moniker.

As far as being better than Jimmy G, I was referring to the expectation coming out of the draft as a 2nd rounder, and at the same point in their careers, in which Jimmy was a backup. The only thing you can compare is the past, and you always compare people at the same point in their careers. Is Jimmy even close? Not at all

Of course I understand what a huge bust is...

healthy-breasts.gif

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Purdy can still be a bust because now expectations have been placed on him.

rjshull

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Purdy can still be a bust because now expectations have been placed on him.
That’s pure bull shit. By your claim then everyone that does not turn into Brady is a bust. Just because you have some expectations doesn’t mean you are going to be a busy. The bust moniker is saved for first round picks that fail. A 6th or 7th round pick has about a 30% chance to make the team, so if they actually make the team then there is zero chance of them being a bust because they have exceeded the mean.

None of this means he will continue to play at a high level, or even a decent level. The 49ers front office clearly thinks highly of him, and he has been impressive over his rookie year, but so was guys like Kaep, the question is can he continue to grow? But not matter what, we have seen that he will be a serviceable backup at a minimum.

But let’s look at what he did compared to Geno, 67.1% completion rate vs 69.8, good enough to match Mahomes, 7.6% TD rate vs Geno’s 5.2%, and better than Mahomes 6.3%, 2.4% int rate vs Geni at 1.9%, 8.1 Y/A vs Geno’s 7.5, 8.6 AY/A vs 7.7 for Geno, 12.1 vs 10.7 Y/C, 107.3 vs 100.9 rate, 65.6 vs 60.8 QBR. The best part, $75 Million vs $3.5 Million, and so far, the stays for the $3.5 Million guy are better. Sounds like the real bust is your guy.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That’s pure bull shit. By your claim then everyone that does not turn into Brady is a bust.
I never said that. I said that when a player has expectations and they fall short, sports fans will call them a bust. It’s not some secret. It’s not some hot take. It’s the way of sports and fans.
Just because you have some expectations doesn’t mean you are going to be a bust.
Right. Did I declare Purdy a bust? I still see him as a work in progress and he’ll write his own legacy based on the opportunity he’s earned and was given.
The bust moniker is saved for first round picks that fail. A 6th or 7th round pick has about a 30% chance to make the team, so if they actually make the team then there is zero chance of them being a bust because they have exceeded the mean.
This only looks at bust from the standpoint of draft position. That’s a foolish decision to limit things in this way.
None of this means he will continue to play at a high level, or even a decent level. The 49ers front office clearly thinks highly of him, and he has been impressive over his rookie year, but so was guys like Kaep, the question is can he continue to grow? But not matter what, we have seen that he will be a serviceable backup at a minimum.

But let’s look at what he did compared to Geno, 67.1% completion rate vs 69.8, good enough to match Mahomes, 7.6% TD rate vs Geno’s 5.2%, and better than Mahomes 6.3%, 2.4% int rate vs Geni at 1.9%, 8.1 Y/A vs Geno’s 7.5, 8.6 AY/A vs 7.7 for Geno, 12.1 vs 10.7 Y/C, 107.3 vs 100.9 rate, 65.6 vs 60.8 QBR. The best part, $75 Million vs $3.5 Million, and so far, the stays for the $3.5 Million guy are better. Sounds like the real bust is your guy.
^^^ These are the expectations I’m talking about. Forty Whiners fans have anointed him. You just invoked Pat Mahomes in your statistical sales job. You just proved my point that there are now expectations for Purdy. Whether he is a success or a bust will be determined from here.

rjshull

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never said that. I said that when a player has expectations and they fall short, sports fans will call them a bust. It’s not some secret. It’s not some hot take. It’s the way of sports and fans.

Right. Did I declare Purdy a bust? I still see him as a work in progress and he’ll write his own legacy based on the opportunity he’s earned and was given.

This only looks at bust from the standpoint of draft position. That’s a foolish decision to limit things in this way.

^^^ These are the expectations I’m talking about. Forty Whiners fans have anointed him. You just invoked Pat Mahomes in your statistical sales job. You just proved my point that there are now expectations for Purdy. Whether he is a success or a bust will be determined from here.
Wow, love loving the goal posts there do ya? You stayed if he doesn’t live up to expectations, then he is a bust. That would mean anyone who doesn’t live up to expectations is also a bust, therefore anyone who is not Tom Brady is a bust since he is the GOAT.

While you have not stated he is a bust, unlike Shark, your claim on his potential because of expectations shows your lack of knowledge, and historical meaning of the term. By your bullshit claim, Geno Smith is a bust and was a bust before your joke of a team gave him $75 Million.

But we both agree, his future is in his hands, and we will see. I think Lance is a bust, Purdy will probably fail to live up to his rookie expectations as they give him more to do, just like guys like Kaep failed.

I haven’t anointed him as anything. There is a reason he was a 7th round pick, there is a reason he only passed for an average of 152 yards per game, what happens when he needs to up that to 300+? Until he can do that, my trust will not be in him. I see him as the new Kaep, he wins games because of the running game and defense, is that enough to win a SB? Maybe, maybe not, but even if it does, and if he doesn’t get better then he is the new Trent Dilfer.

And Mahomes was brought into the conversation to show haw bad Geno is, and yet you guys gave him $75 Million. That is 21 times more than what the 9ers are paying for Purdy over the same time period, maybe your FO should have listened to the rest of the NFL and not signed your joke of a QB.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow, love loving the goal posts there do ya? You stayed if he doesn’t live up to expectations, then he is a bust. That would mean anyone who doesn’t live up to expectations is also a bust, therefore anyone who is not Tom Brady is a bust since he is the GOAT.

While you have not stated he is a bust, unlike Shark, your claim on his potential because of expectations shows your lack of knowledge, and historical meaning of the term. By your bullshit claim, Geno Smith is a bust and was a bust before your joke of a team gave him $75 Million.

But we both agree, his future is in his hands, and we will see. I think Lance is a bust, Purdy will probably fail to live up to his rookie expectations as they give him more to do, just like guys like Kaep failed.

I haven’t anointed him as anything. There is a reason he was a 7th round pick, there is a reason he only passed for an average of 152 yards per game, what happens when he needs to up that to 300+? Until he can do that, my trust will not be in him. I see him as the new Kaep, he wins games because of the running game and defense, is that enough to win a SB? Maybe, maybe not, but even if it does, and if he doesn’t get better then he is the new Trent Dilfer.

And Mahomes was brought into the conversation to show haw bad Geno is, and yet you guys gave him $75 Million. That is 21 times more than what the 9ers are paying for Purdy over the same time period, maybe your FO should have listened to the rest of the NFL and not signed your joke of a QB.
I’m an Eagles fan not a Seahawks fan

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
but an equal opportunity ass hole

It's kinda like driving the U S highways, there are more dumb ass drivers out there, but the ass holes are always worse.

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Geno Smith has 1 year guarantees for $27.5M. Anything beyond that is down to health, performance, and what choices the Seahawks make in the future. It's an extremely team friendly deal considering what he did in 2022.

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Geno Smith has 1 year guarantees for $27.5M. Anything beyond that is down to health, performance, and what choices the Seahawks make in the future. It's an extremely team friendly deal considering what he did in 2022.
Exactly. And if he exceeds expectations again and is able to capitalize on his contract, it's only a good thing for the Hawks because it still doesn't break the bank and it means the team is winning and contending. Veteran savvy move by him to continue to bet on himself but put the team first. A lot of more immature guys would have demanded a big deal like Murray did. Geno may not be great but he is their best option presently and the guys in the locker room love the guy. And he did produce solid numbers and health really isn't a factor with the little wear and tear on his body and his fitness.