• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Jim Irsay is a dbag

BobGnarly

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"In an interview with Jarret Bell of USA Today, Irsay eventually boils the departure of Peyton down to one fact: Irsay preferred to chase team achievements, not individual ones.

“We’ve changed our model a little bit, because we wanted more than one of these,” Irsay said, referring to his Super Bowl XLI ring. “[Tom] Brady never had consistent numbers, but he has three of these. Pittsburgh had two, the Giants had two, Baltimore had two and we had one. That leaves you frustrated.

“You make the playoffs 11 times, and you’re out in the first round seven out of 11 times. You love to have the Star Wars numbers from Peyton and Marvin [Harrison] and Reggie [Wayne]. Mostly, you love this.”

And again, Irsay pointed to the ring"

In moving on from Manning, Irsay says he chose championships over stats | ProFootballTalk

Maybe he should recognize the guy who got him the ring, and his own inability to put a proper team around him. Way to poke the bear right before he comes back to the dome he built.

mcro_rave_2001

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yea he is a chip off the old block, but i have to agree with him here, he isn't playing FF, so stats are meaningless to him.

boltfan72

ex-Charger fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's a small part of the story. If Manning was 27 and healthy he would still be there. Irsay chose to move on at that point because he had the #1 pick and the best QB prospect since Manning himself coming out of college. Had this gone down in a year with not much QB talent in the draft I'm sure Manning would still be there.

In a couple of years when Manning retires and Luck hits his prime it will be seen by all as the right decision. Most already think it was the right decision.

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kind of dumb to criticize Manning at all before he comes in to play you. Yeah, go ahead and give him extra motivation to beat your team. :rollseyes:

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's a small part of the story. If Manning was 27 and healthy he would still be there. Irsay chose to move on at that point because he had the #1 pick and the best QB prospect since Manning himself coming out of college. Had this gone down in a year with not much QB talent in the draft I'm sure Manning would still be there.

In a couple of years when Manning retires and Luck hits his prime it will be seen by all as the right decision. Most already think it was the right decision.

Here's the way I look at it. If Manning wins more Super Bowls with the Broncos before he retires than Luck wins with the Colts, then it was the wrong decision. If Luck wins more, than it was the right decision.

Money

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's the way I look at it. If Manning wins more Super Bowls with the Broncos before he retires than Luck wins with the Colts, then it was the wrong decision. If Luck wins more, than it was the right decision.

It was the right decision no matter what. No hindsight needed.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont really feel like he's criticizing Manning. I think it's more of a criticism of himself and of the organization for focusing on building a team to put up record points rather than well rounded teams to make deep playoff runs.

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was the right decision no matter what. No hindsight needed.

Really? So let's say Manning wins Super Bowls this season and next and retires. And let's say the Luck plays for the Colts the next 12 years, and they are consistently a playoff team, but they never win a Super Bowl. You still think that was the right decision?

Money

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really? So let's say Manning wins Super Bowls this season and next and retires. And let's say the Luck plays for the Colts the next 12 years, and they are consistently a playoff team, but they never win a Super Bowl. You still think that was the right decision?

Of course.

boltfan72

ex-Charger fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I doubt it plays out that way, but you don't get the benefit of hindsight when you make a decision like that. You make the decision based on 1 ring, some gaudy stats, and a bunch of playoff losses. Then you have a QB in his late 30s who just had neck surgery and the best prospect in 15 years within your grasp. Definitely the right decision no matter what happens.

If Manning wins a title in Denver it doesn't mean he would've won it in Indy. Football is the ultimate team sport way beyond one player. Yes the QB is the most important player, but he can't do it alone.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yes. Even with the potential hindsight that he won with another team, it doesn't make it the wrong move.

What if they would have kept him and traded Luck and some other organization went on to 15 years of great football with another team and Manning didn't win another SB? QBs dont win or lose SBs by themselves, the overhaul that the Colts are in the midst of was the right choice.

Money

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean...let's say Peyton got hurt on the 1st play against Jacksonville last week.

Was it the right decision to start him?

IndyAndy

I can't reMember
Paddock Stand, Section 23, Row QQ, Seat 4
Hoopla Cash
$ 545.78
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It's always a calculated risk to make a bold move like Irsay did. I appreciate that he is (hopefully) thinking about the future success of the team, & I don't envy him having to make these decisions.

RoboticDreams

JM8CH10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He made the right decision. Remember, nobody knew if Peyton would ever play again, let alone be effective, at the time. No matter what happens, I think he made the best decision for the team, ie the right decision.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did Irsay lie? He said everything I've been saying basically. Outside of 2 years Manning was a failure with Indy in the playoffs

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kind of dumb to criticize Manning at all before he comes in to play you. Yeah, go ahead and give him extra motivation to beat your team. :rollseyes:

Is it actually criticizing if it is the truth? I do agree that its not the best timing but he did not say anything wrong

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Look, I'm not saying that's definitely what's going to happen, I'm just saying that if it does, how can you say it was the right decision? Isn't the point to win Super Bowls? Irsay made what I think was the best decision at the time, but making the best decision at the time doesn't mean it will always turn out to be the right decision with the value of hindsight.

If Manning has more success in his few years with the Broncos than Luck has in his career with the Colts, then I don't see how you can call it the right decision. But like I said, we won't know that for a long time.

RoboticDreams

JM8CH10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Look, I'm not saying that's definitely what's going to happen, I'm just saying that if it does, how can you say it was the right decision? Isn't the point to win Super Bowls? Irsay made what I think was the best decision at the time, but making the best decision at the time doesn't mean it will always turn out to be the right decision with the value of hindsight.

If Manning has more success in his few years with the Broncos than Luck has in his career with the Colts, then I don't see how you can call it the right decision. But like I said, we won't know that for a long time.

So it's all riding on the future, eh? I don't think it is. I think he did what was best for the team. If I used your logic, if the Colts beat Denver this week, then it was the right decision. If they do but then lose the the Broncos in the playoffs, it was the wrong decision. If Luck wins 3 super bowls to Peytons 1-2 then again, it was the right decision. You can't just change it due to future results. That's hindsight and of no use. IMO, he made the right decision.

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So it's all riding on the future, eh? I don't think it is. I think he did what was best for the team. If I used your logic, if the Colts beat Denver this week, then it was the right decision. If they do but then lose the the Broncos in the playoffs, it was the wrong decision. If Luck wins 3 super bowls to Peytons 1-2 then again, it was the right decision. You can't just change it due to future results. That's hindsight and of no use. IMO, he made the right decision.

Um, no that's not my logic at all. And of course it's hindsight, how else are you supposed to know if you made the right decision without looking back at it?

Like I said, I think the Colts made the best decision they could at the time, now we have to wait and see if it was the right decision.

Money

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Um, no that's not my logic at all. And of course it's hindsight, how else are you supposed to know if you made the right decision without looking back at it?

Like I said, I think the Colts made the best decision they could at the time, now we have to wait and see if it was the right decision.

Is it the right decision for the Broncos to start Peyton this week against the Colts or do we have to wait and see how the game plays out? What if Peyton gets hurt in the 1st quarter and is lost for the season? Will that make starting Peyton the wrong decision?