• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Jim Harbaugh

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Giving credit where credit is due, Singletary had the right message(s) - The "I want winners" and the "It's about the team" and the "...cannot coach with them..."

All of those and more were spot-on messages, but Singletary did not have the coaching aptitude to turn those words into wins, and he never would have IMO. That is where Harbaugh takes over and, although early, is thus far proving to be an elite HC in this league.

imo having sing for that short time made harbaugh's job easier. the team was ready to start winning but we needed an actual coaching staff that could do the X's and O's.

sing helped build the foundation and now harbaugh can serve us those 2 dollar steaks in the backyard.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Killin' me!! So fricken true! I believe Singletary was the first NFL HC to request a 20 second basketball timeout - I'll never forget that.

Ha ha! Remember Singletary talkin' about "hittin' people in the mouf"?

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Giving credit where credit is due, Singletary had the right message(s) - The "I want winners" and the "It's about the team" and the "...cannot coach with them..."

All of those and more were spot-on messages, but Singletary did not have the coaching aptitude to turn those words into wins, and he never would have IMO. That is where Harbaugh takes over and, although early, is thus far proving to be an elite HC in this league.

It also seems that Harbaugh has the players wanting to take responsibility for their part of the game. They don't want to be the one to let the team or the coach down. I love the way he has connected with Alex Smith as well.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
imo having sing for that short time made harbaugh's job easier. the team was ready to start winning but we needed an actual coaching staff that could do the X's and O's.

sing helped build the foundation and now harbaugh can serve us those 2 dollar steaks in the backyard.

I give Singletary credit for being the one who saw the star potential in Willis and Bowman; especially Bowman. No one saw that guy coming except Singletary. I just couldn't get past that garish cross he wore on his chest.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are you serious? You actually bellieve that?

I was commenting on Toby's pulling the defense to the sideline comment and was just commenting back and reflecting on the moment when Singletary did that vs. the Cards.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ha ha! Remember Singletary talkin' about "hittin' people in the mouf"?

LOL!! Oh Yeah! If Mikey could have transferred his tactical skills to the sideline he would have been a HOF HC. But most players can't do that which is why so few players have ever been great or even good HC's.

Harbaugh, thus far is a nice exception. The truth is, Singletary left us with a lot of memories, some good, some bad and some I'm not sure will ever be figured out.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree with you in an interesting way. On the one hand Singletary did change the mindset of the players with his intensity as a person his pontifications (seriously, what else can they be called) and when he sent V.Davis to the showers that cemented a lot of team chemistry. So on those points I agree.

Where I have a little disagreement is that by the time Singletary was fired he had lost much of that chemistry and much of the faith if not the respect of the team.

This was evidenced by the way we played the last game for Tomsula. There was a noticeable attitude and enthusiasm up-tick playing for Jim despite being out of the playoffs.

So, much of what Mike gained he eventually lost begging the question, how much of that did Jim have to rebuild to get the team where they are now?

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL!! Oh Yeah! If Mikey could have transferred his tactical skills to the sideline he would have been a HOF HC. But most players can't do that which is why so few players have ever been great or even good HC's.

Harbaugh, thus far is a nice exception. The truth is, Singletary left us with a lot of memories, some good, some bad and some I'm not sure will ever be figured out.

It was so frustrating with Singletary because they could not even get a play called in time. I remember one game they burned three timeouts in the first quarter because they couldn't get a play called. And his choices of offensive coordinators? Oh geez!

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was so frustrating with Singletary because they could not even get a play called in time. I remember one game they burned three timeouts in the first quarter because they couldn't get a play called. And his choices of offensive coordinators? Oh geez!

That would be the Seattle opener (I believe). He displayed quite a bit of Einsteinian insanity in that game as well.

As for Jimmy Raye, I've always felt there was a backstory to Raye that if you think about Singletary's weaknesses and insecurities as a HC you come to understand exactly why Singletary chose Raye.

yossarian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What I really like about Harbaugh is listening to the player comments -- things like "We're always in position to make the play" or "we were well prepared for the ____" or "I had never been coached down to this detail before"; and how players love that he tells it like it is, but always behind closed doors -- he never hangs a player out in the media. To me that's almost a perfect combination. His statements to the press are a little crazy but the players know he has their back in public all the time.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That would be the Seattle opener (I believe). He displayed quite a bit of Einsteinian insanity in that game as well.

As for Jimmy Raye, I've always felt there was a backstory to Raye that if you think about Singletary's weaknesses and insecurities as a HC you come to understand exactly why Singletary chose Raye.

Yep, it was my first NFL opener. I remember my wife who doesn't know football that much asking me why there were so many breaks in the game.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Jimmy Raye as a coordinator reminded me of when Bjorn Borg, after being retired for several years, tried to make a comeback at Wimbledon armed with a wooden racket. It was kind of sad. That thing was so small it looked like a badminton racket compared to the big metal ones Sampras and the boys were now using.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jimmy Raye as a coordinator reminded me of when Bjorn Borg, after being retired for several years, tried to make a comeback at Wimbledon armed with a wooden racket. It was kind of sad. That thing was so small it looked like a badminton racket compared to the big metal ones Sampras and the boys were now using.

I'm sure Bjorn would appreciate it you would retire that memory as quickly as possible - lol!

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I was commenting on Toby's pulling the defense to the sideline comment and was just commenting back and reflecting on the moment when Singletary did that vs. the Cards.

Ok. I was jumping on the concept that there are some out there who actually believe that all Singletary had in his bag was to turn to rah-rah speeches and throw out one liners about trying harder, hustling, etc.. That's why I asked.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok. I was jumping on the concept that there are some out there who actually believe that all Singletary had in his bag was to turn to rah-rah speeches and throw out one liners about trying harder, hustling, etc.. That's why I asked.

Completely understood, Chris.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not as good as the "Practice?" mix by DJ Porter, but this one has Singletary in it starting around the 1:52 mark.

Last edited by a moderator:

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't believe it was his only tool in the bag but if you are trying to tell me that he did not do that type of thing a lot then I think you are mistaken.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with you in an interesting way. On the one hand Singletary did change the mindset of the players with his intensity as a person his pontifications (seriously, what else can they be called) and when he sent V.Davis to the showers that cemented a lot of team chemistry. So on those points I agree.

Where I have a little disagreement is that by the time Singletary was fired he had lost much of that chemistry and much of the faith if not the respect of the team.

This was evidenced by the way we played the last game for Tomsula. There was a noticeable attitude and enthusiasm up-tick playing for Jim despite being out of the playoffs.

So, much of what Mike gained he eventually lost begging the question, how much of that did Jim have to rebuild to get the team where they are now?

by the time the team gave up the positives were already there. players had already turned the corner and basically everything sing had to offer this team was already done.

i consider it kind of like a boot camp or basic traning. might not have been the most enjoyable experience, but it's something that was greatly needed.

at least sing's coaching career wasn't a complete waste like the erickson era.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I don't believe it was his only tool in the bag but if you are trying to tell me that he did not do that type of thing a lot then I think you are mistaken.

I would not argue that. Ever.