• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Jets agree to trade Revis Island to Buccs for multiple picks...

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we're takling 1 year I agree. For 5 years? I'll take the 13th pick plus the 11-13 million a year in cap space over a guy who will be 28, 29, 30, 31 & 32 respectively.

Did it say how much he's going to get in the first 2 years? First 3 years? Usually, players don't get that much money because their deals are backloaded. If the deal is backloaded, that just means he won't be around for the length of the deal anyway. So are they reall only getting Revis for 2-3 years?

Also, by that rationale, you would've traded ANY draft pick for Revis including a top 5 because those guys are "unproven."

No matter how many years it is, I'll take a proven NFL star over draft potential any day. Revis still has 4 good years left in him if he makes a full recovery. But as we've seen before, draft picks might not have any good years in them. It is a crap shoot and I would rather take the sure thing than gamble.

It said that he is slated to get 16 million a year but none of this is guarantees, I haven't seen the deal but I am assuming that he has certain levels he needs to hit to get the big money.

No I wouldn't have traded for Revis due to the amount of money that he wanted, I said time and again I was unwilling to break the bank for Revis or any other FA when we have our own players to resign.

Why are you talking about a top 5 pick anyway? The Bucs had the 13th pick and we had the 31st. But regardless of these things, the reason I didn't want Revis was due to money.

If money was not an issue, would I take Revis (if I knew he was healthy) for the 13th or 31st pick? Certainly. Especially if you are the Bucs since many of the mocks had them taking a CB anyway, why not have the best one in the league?

USCDoom

Death On Black Wings
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's still a terrible deal for the Buccs IMO. Sure they can cut ties with the investment at any time, but is that worth.... say... Sheldon Richardson or Chance Warmack for 5 years? Plus they have to give up a 4th or 3rd next year. I was torn as to whether or not it would have been worth giving up the 31st pick in order to sign him to a massive deal, and I decided it wasn't. The buccs essentially paid the 11th or 12th pick in terms of value.

He's gonna get 16 friggn' million dollars a year, and the only benefit they got is that they can abort without any dead money.

We have Gerald McCoy, Carl Nicks, and Davin Joseph for the next 3 years at least. Why draft a back up? Mike Williams and Vincent Jackson at the WRs, Doug Martin at RB. The only position on Offense we need a starter is RT and TE. On Defense we only now need a SOLB. We could use a Run stuffing NT but that is not something you draft in the first 3 rounds.

This is a no lose situation. The Bucs currently have the Money to pay him this amount. When they Dont, they Cut him or Restructure at No Cost to them.

This is 99% a Win, the only way it is not, is if he now sucks. Then its a bad move.

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have the Bucs given up on Josh Freeman? Can they pay him Revis, Goldson, Jackson, & Nicks plus their younger players?

I bet they can. They have to find out this year if he is their guy or not, if he plays well this year I imagine they are going to give him a very big extension.

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only way this turns out to be a bad move for the Bucs is if Revis cannot recover from this injury and is not close to his former self.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Revis still has 4 good years left in him if he makes a full recovery... I would rather take the sure thing than gamble.

The Eagles thought Nnamdi had 4 good years left in him too while I was calling them dummies for signing the guy (weren't you one of the sign-Nnamdi guys back then? Forgive me if I'm remembering incorrectly).

You don't think it's a gamble to say Revis will be good for 4 years? I agree that he has 4 good years left in him, but I don't think he has any more all-pro' years left. I would've given up a mid-high 2nd to get him for 14 million per season. Anything more than that is severely over-paying IMO.

Why are you talking about a top 5 pick anyway? The Bucs had the 13th pick and we had the 31st.

I was pointing out the slippery slope of saying you'd take a "proven" guy over an "unproven" guy. That means if the Buccs had a top 5 pick, you still would've traded it for Revis because you're taking the "proven" guy. My point is that you have to put some kind of definitive value on a guy in terms of draft pick(s) rather than just saying proven VS unproven. For me, that value was, at most, the 34th pick overall (probably a little less). And that's only if he signed for about 13-14 per. The Buccs paid the equivalent of the 11th or 12th pick in terms of value. WAY too much if you ask me.

Plus there's the fact that the Buccs aren't all that good to begin with. They need to continue to build through the draft and find a QB if they want to be a contender any time soon IMO. Especially in the NFC.

Last edited by a moderator:

USCDoom

Death On Black Wings
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have the Bucs given up on Josh Freeman? Can they pay him Revis, Goldson, Jackson, & Nicks plus their younger players?

Freeman is already paid. He is making 8 Million this year. So to is McCoy, he will make 10 and then 15 million. The Bucs had 32 million before, so I guess they are now down to 16, Mike Williams should get 5-6 of that.We will see what happens after this season.

3 Years from now is going to be tough but again we can cut 16 mil out with no implications on the cap, so that will help in the future.

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Eagles thought Nnamdi had 4 good years left in him too while I was calling them dummies for signing the guy (weren't you one of the sign-Nnamdi guys back then? Forgive me if I'm remembering incorrectly).

You don't think it's a gamble to say Revis will be good for 4 years? I agree that he has 4 good years left in him, but I don't think he has any more all-pro' years left. I would've given up a mid-high 2nd to get him for 14 million per season. Anything more than that is severely over-paying IMO.

I was pointing out the slippery slope of saying you'd take a "proven" guy over an "unproven" guy. That means if the Buccs had a top 5 pick, you still would've traded it for Revis because you're taking the "proven" guy. My point is that you have to put some kind of definitive value on a guy in terms of draft pick(s) rather than just saying proven VS unproven. For me, that value was, at most, the 34th pick overall (probably a little less). And that's only if he signed for about 13-14 per. The Buccs paid the equivalent of the 11th or 12th in terms of value. WAY too much if you ask me.

I have never been one of the Nnamdi lovers, actually on ESPN I got it from everyone for saying that Nnamdi was overrated. Look it up, if those posts are still on the ESPN board.

I do however think it is less of a gamble to assume that Revis will return to old form then assuming a draft pick will pan out. Especially considering guys like Adrian Peterson and the come back he was able to make. I do think that Revis will make a full recovery and once again be a top 3 player at his position.

If the Bucs had a higher pick in a better draft with more top end talent then I would look at possibly not making this trade due to Revis coming off a major injury and possibly not making a full recovery. But with the 13th pick in a draft like this, I would have no problem with it.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I have never been one of the Nnamdi lovers, actually on ESPN I got it from everyone for saying that Nnamdi was overrated. Look it up, if those posts are still on the ESPN board.

No, I'll take your word for it. I just remembered incorrectly. More people than not gave me crap for saying it would be incredibly stupid to sign him back then when the Niners were rumoured to be interested, but I guess you weren't one of 'em.

erckm510

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think this deal is really good for TB. This puts them in fringe contender status and they still got their 3rd round pick this year so they can add some more pieces in the draft. The risk of Revis not playing well is mitigated by having no guaranteed money to screw with their cap.

The shocking thing to me is that the Niners got a much better deal for Alex. That's why the Jets suck.

supreme_clientele81

Supreme Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Freeman is already paid. He is making 8 Million this year. So to is McCoy, he will make 10 and then 15 million. The Bucs had 32 million before, so I guess they are now down to 16, Mike Williams should get 5-6 of that.We will see what happens after this season.

3 Years from now is going to be tough but again we can cut 16 mil out with no implications on the cap, so that will help in the future.

This is still his rookie deal right? That should be up this year or next? (I'm asking because I'm not sure) If those assumptions are correct you have one of the lowest paid starting QBs in the NFL coming up on a contract year. He will want double that easy. So lets say he has a probowl year this year and want 5 years 80 million can the Bucs afford to keep him?

On the flip side lets say he doesn't play very well and you cut ties is your team good enough to win with a "game manager" ala the 49ers circa 2011?

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, I'll take your word for it. I just remembered incorrectly. More people than not gave me crap for saying it would be incredibly stupid to sign him back then when the Niners were rumoured to be interested, but I guess you weren't one of 'em.

I'm not saying that I wouldn't have wanted him when he was a FA, we for sure needed an upgrade but I never bought the best CB in the NFL talk about him. I certianly wouldn't break the bank for him. At that point I remember wanting to upgrade the CB position, but I was a bigger supporter of Samuel.

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is still his rookie deal right? That should be up this year or next? (I'm asking because I'm not sure) If those assumptions are correct you have one of the lowest paid starting QBs in the NFL coming up on a contract year. He will want double that easy. So lets say he has a probowl year this year and want 5 years 80 million can the Bucs afford to keep him?

On the flip side lets say he doesn't play very well and you cut ties is your team good enough to win with a "game manager" ala the 49ers circa 2011?

I believe Freeman is on the last year of his deal but I also believe the Bucs would be absolutely dumb to let him walk. The Browns, Cards or Bills would do backflips if he became available.

Statistically he has been on par with Stafford, Stafford did spend significant time on the injury list though so is behind him in total games though.

Freeman's best years are ahead of him. He threw for 4,000 yards and 27 TD's this past season while learning a new offense, imagine now that he's comfortable in the offense and has chemistry with his recievers. He's going to have a big year this year.

But to answer the question, yes they should be able to afford him as well. He isn't looking at Flacco money but he'll get something in the 6 year 80 million range.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I believe Freeman is on the last year of his deal but I also believe the Bucs would be absolutely dumb to let him walk.

Man, you & I just disagree about everything under the sun don't we? Freeman, Bradford, Revis...

Freeman is an anchor to that franchise IMO (not in a good way). I'd happily let him walk.

LPinSLC

Gang Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eric Wright is a bum. Revis if healthy is a huge addition especially with no guaranteed money. Goldston is a beast too. Bucs Defense should be pretty good

BUCCS469

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #3
LOL @ the Buccs. They traded the 13th pick??? They have no idea what they're doing. These are the kinds of reasons why they're mediocre.

Oh, and they didn't exactly get him on the cheap:

The Bucs "apparently are willing to pay Revis about $15 million per year," according to the report.

Good for the Jets; now they have 2 picks in the top 15.

lets take a look what the 13th pick has produced in recent seasons

2012 michael floyd-arizona
2011 nick fairley-detroit
2010 brandon graham-philadelphia
2009 brian orakpo-washington
2008 jonathan stewart-carolina
2007 adam carriker-st. louis
2006 kamerion wimbley-cleveland

yeah thanks ill take my chances with revis

BUCCS469

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #3
Man, you & I just disagree about everything under the sun don't we? Freeman, Bradford, Revis...

Freeman is an anchor to that franchise IMO (not in a good way). I'd happily let him walk.

the offense wasnt the problem last year...it was the defense that was unimaginably horrific against the pass.

Zig

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thank You Jebus! ~ Tom Brady

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
lets take a look what the 13th pick has produced in recent seasons

2012 michael floyd-arizona
2011 nick fairley-detroit
2010 brandon graham-philadelphia
2009 brian orakpo-washington
2008 jonathan stewart-carolina
2007 adam carriker-st. louis
2006 kamerion wimbley-cleveland

yeah thanks ill take my chances with revis

This is specious reasoning. Look at the 15th pick:

Bruce Irvin
Mike Pouncey
Jason Pierre-Paul
Brian Cushing
Branden Albert
Lawrence Timmons
Tye Hill

The 15th pick has done better than the 13th the last 7 years. Does that mean you'd trade the 13th pick fort the 15th pick straight up?

You're using the "I-just-flipped-heads-3-times-in-a-row, so-I'm-more-likely-to-flip-tails-this-time" rationale. It's completely false. What the 13th pick has produced in the past has absolutely no bearing on what it will produce ths year. Also, the 13th pick is a commodity. They can trade up or down for player(s) they like.

And again, it's not just Revis VS the 13th pick (more like the 11th or 12th based on the value of the other pick next year). It's actually:

A. Revis

VS

B. (1) The 11th or 12th pick + (2) about 11-13 million dolloars in cap space per season.

There's no way I'd take A over B on a mediocre team like the Buccs. I'd keep building through the draft & looking for a better QB.

erckm510

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the offense wasnt the problem last year...it was the defense that was unimaginably horrific against the pass.

Indeed. I don't think Freeman is as bad as Sickness is making him out to be. He had a pretty good year and only 25. But isn't he a FA after this season? So how is he an anchor unless they re-sign him. In which case he would had to have a great season.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Indeed. I don't think Freeman is as bad as Sickness is making him out to be. He had a pretty good year and only 25. But isn't he a FA after this season? So how is he an anchor unless they re-sign him. In which case he would had to have a great season.

The reason I called him an "anchor" is the same reason I'd call Alex Smith or Tony Romo the same thing. They're worse than terrible QBs because it's easier to part ways with terrible QBs. With mediocre QBs, they trick you in to thinking they might win you a SB some day because they have a great game every once in a while.