• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Jerry West describes Silver's Durant comments as "unfair"

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i dont care who you are talking about- trying to act like your opinion on something definitively makes something that is PURE OPINION true is what idiots and fascists do. God I just know you are a Trump voter.

The complete lack of self awareness is astounding.

HurricaneDij39

The Middle of Everywhere: NWI
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And? The spike in the salary cap isn't a loophole. It's the way it should work. The NBA is making huge money, the players are the reason and they should get a big part of the profits. If that enables a team like the Warriors to sign a player like KD...so be it.

Well, we had a lockout five years ago. There was a reason for that. And one of the major points of discussion was to prevent player collusion and create more parity in the league with approximately two thirds of our league's teams having lost money. It's just one of the reasons why your beloved Lakers were denied of CP3 by the other 28 owners of the Hornets at the time.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, we had a lockout five years ago. There was a reason for that. And one of the major points of discussion was to prevent player collusion and create more parity in the league with approximately two thirds of our league's teams having lost money. It's just one of the reasons why your beloved Lakers were denied of CP3 by the other 28 owners of the Hornets at the time.

And? Somehow, despite the lockout, we have a situation where the Warriors could sign KD. You don't legislate parity. Parity is created by other teams getting better. That is done by paying for better players. Just because some owners want the league to legislate parity rather than them actually putting a product on the floor that people will pay too watch, doesn't mean it's right.

It's also why the vetoing of the CP3 deal was wrong. Additionally, it wasn't the "other 28 owners" it was Stern acting on the whining of the 2 biggest crybaby owners in the league.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And? The spike in the salary cap isn't a loophole. It's the way it should work. The NBA is making huge money, the players are the reason and they should get a big part of the profits. If that enables a team like the Warriors to sign a player like KD...so be it.
the NBA is making huge money and the league office KNEW that we would have an insane round of free agency so they approached the players about a "smoothing mechanism" for this year.

A smoothing mechanism would have allowed the cap to go up incrementally- so the players- out of PURE LUCK- that were free agents this year- did not get a disproportionate share of revenue- and unintended effects like the Durant signing- would not take place....

instead- we got what we got because the players union refused to bargain the issue- whether you think they should have bargained or not and agreed to smooth the cap- the result was (i) unintended effects and (ii) players getting more than they are worth because of the spike---- hence- you have Eric Turner making more money than Kyrie Irving or John Wall or any number of guys who recently signed maxes- which of course does not make sense to me--- of course it would have happened to a certain extent- but surely not the pure and total idiocy where guys like Evan Turner and Timo Mozgov get huge 10 figure deals.

the thing is- i dont see the incentive for the players union not to have bargained--- we know what happened- but i just dont see how they benefited by not engaging on this issue- to me there refusal was little more than a tactic to show they wont be pushed around in the next round of bargaining- and stubbornness like that just to be stubborn usually doesnt benefit anyone.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And? Somehow, despite the lockout, we have a situation where the Warriors could sign KD. You don't legislate parity. Parity is created by other teams getting better. That is done by paying for better players. Just because some owners want the league to legislate parity rather than them actually putting a product on the floor that people will pay too watch, doesn't mean it's right.

It's also why the vetoing of the CP3 deal was wrong. Additionally, it wasn't the "other 28 owners" it was Stern acting on the whining of the 2 biggest crybaby owners in the league.
its the Commissioner's job to do what he thinks is best for the league. He took action. The rest is history.

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the NBA is making huge money and the league office KNEW that we would have an insane round of free agency so they approached the players about a "smoothing mechanism" for this year.

A smoothing mechanism would have allowed the cap to go up incrementally- so the players- out of PURE LUCK- that were free agents this year- did not get a disproportionate share of revenue- and unintended effects like the Durant signing- would not take place....

instead- we got what we got because the players union refused to bargain the issue- whether you think they should have bargained or not and agreed to smooth the cap- the result was (i) unintended effects and (ii) players getting more than they are worth because of the spike---- hence- you have Eric Turner making more money than Kyrie Irving or John Wall or any number of guys who recently signed maxes- which of course does not make sense to me--- of course it would have happened to a certain extent- but surely not the pure and total idiocy where guys like Evan Turner and Timo Mozgov get huge 10 figure deals.

the thing is- i dont see the incentive for the players union not to have bargained--- we know what happened- but i just dont see how they benefited by not engaging on this issue- to me there refusal was little more than a tactic to show they wont be pushed around in the next round of bargaining- and stubbornness like that just to be stubborn usually doesnt benefit anyone.

I didn't get why they wouldn't be interested in smoothing the cap either.

It caused a handful of average players to get contracts they didn't deserve.

You can add Austin Rivers, Tyler Johnson, Jeremy Lin, Biyombo and Kent Bazemore to the list.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And? The players got what they wanted as they should. They are the reason the league makes the money it does. Guys like Turner make more than guys like Kyrie and Wall because they aren't eligible for FA yet. When they are, that discrepancy will be corrected. Weren't you telling us not too long ago about how great Kyrie's deal is for the Cavs from a cap perspective?

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

One of which actually nuked his title team. Can't make this shit up. Mark Cuban, the gift that keeps on giving.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
its the Commissioner's job to do what he thinks is best for the league. He took action. The rest is history.

He took action because the 2 biggest crybaby owners in the league bitched about it. I don't believe there has ever been another owner in the history of the league that pulled the bullshit that Cuban and Gilbert did.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't get why they wouldn't be interested in smoothing the cap either.

It caused a handful of average players to get contracts they didn't deserve.

You can add Austin Rivers, Tyler Johnson, Jeremy Lin, Biyombo and Kent Bazemore to the list.

Gotta disagree here. The problem isn't the players, it's the owners. Players can only make what owners are willing to pay. If there weren't owners willing to pay those guys that money, they wouldn't be making that money.

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gotta disagree here. The problem isn't the players, it's the owners. Players can only make what owners are willing to pay. If there weren't owners willing to pay those guys that money, they wouldn't be making that money.

Oh, Yes totally.

I made a similar statement about the Greek Freak's contract.

This is the new market.

But, guy's like John Wall, who are chickenhawking other guys salary, could have avoided this by agreeing to smoothing the cap.

Less money available would have kept salaries a bit lower.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, Yes totally.

I made a similar statement about the Greek Freak's contract.

This is the new market.

But, guy's like John Wall, who are chickenhawking other guys salary, could have avoided this by agreeing to smoothing the cap.

Less money available would have kept salaries a bit lower.

But as I pointed out earlier in the thread, the only reason that's happening is because guys like Wall aren't FA's yet. When they become FA's they'll "get theirs" and things will look like they should as far as where guys salaries rank.

"Smoothing" just seems like a nicer way of trying to legislate parity.

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But as I pointed out earlier in the thread, the only reason that's happening is because guys like Wall aren't FA's yet. When they become FA's they'll "get theirs" and things will look like they should as far as where guys salaries rank.

"Smoothing" just seems like a nicer way of trying to legislate parity.

Indeed.

I see your point.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He took action because the 2 biggest crybaby owners in the league bitched about it. I don't believe there has ever been another owner in the history of the league that pulled the bullshit that Cuban and Gilbert did.
how dare you insult one of the very best owners in all of North American sports.

I'd take Cuban and Gilbert over 90% of the rest of the owners in the league that is for sure. Self-made billionaires with championships.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
how dare you insult one of the very best owners in all of North American sports.

I'd take Cuban and Gilbert over 90% of the rest of the owners in the league that is for sure. Self-made billionaires with championships.

Wouldn't take either of them over Dr. Buss.

They may be self made billionaires, but they are also crybaby bitches. Just shows that money doesn't buy balls.

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One of which actually nuked his title team. Can't make this shit up. Mark Cuban, the gift that keeps on giving.

That Barnes contract could be the Mother of all Fuckers.

That Dude has 3rd option written all over him.

I feel bad for Dirk.

Pay cut after pay cut to land a gimp Parsons, a gimp Matthews and Harrison fucking Barnes :gaah:.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wouldn't take either of them over Dr. Buss.

They may be self made billionaires, but they are also crybaby bitches. Just shows that money doesn't buy balls.
well unfortunately Dr. Buss is not avaliable.

Nobody comes from nothing to being a billionaire without cracking a couple eggs. I am glad a guy that actually worked and earned his way through life is the owner of my team.

Rigth now in todays NBA- if you are trying to WIN- you couldnt do any better than either Gilbert or Cuban.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

So if Dan Gilbert had let Kevin Love walk and let Kyrie Irving go, in hopes of signing let's say Westbrook and Aldridge in the next round of free agency, you'd have zero problem with that? You wouldn't care to have a legitimate title team have a chance to defend its first title in franchise history?