• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Jeremy Hellickson traded to AZ

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Diamondbacks have reached a deal to acquire starter Jeremy Hellickson from the Rays.

Two prospects will go to the Rays in the deal....

Overall I like this trade quite a bit. Hellickson pitched well for 2 years in the AL East before his injury and was healthy last year and showed flashes of his old self. I think this could end up being a smart move. He is no ace, but he adds depth and is a QS machine.

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rotation will look something like: Miley, Collmenter, Hellickson, Arroyo, Cahill/Anderson/Bradley/Nuno. And Corbin when he returns.

Lots of depth in the backend so I wouldn't be surprised if we dealt one of those last 3.

johnson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who were the prospects they gave up? Hard to evaluate not knowing that.

Which Jeremy Hellickson is coming here? The one that pitched from 2010-2012? If so, I don't care who the prospects were, great deal. Or is it the recent one (generally a better indicator) from 2013-2014? That one isn't worth a good prospect.

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who were the prospects they gave up? Hard to evaluate not knowing that.

Which Jeremy Hellickson is coming here? The one that pitched from 2010-2012? If so, I don't care who the prospects were, great deal. Or is it the recent one (generally a better indicator) from 2013-2014? That one isn't worth a good prospect.

Outfielder Justin Williams and shortstop Andrew Velazquez — both prospects playing in the low minors.

Both have some upside, but not top 100 prospect type material.

Orange602

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another back of the rotation "innings eater"...and I thought the Dbacks were going to take a new direction.

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't love or hate this trade. We did need some rotation depth. And we only gave of a couple low minors guys who's future could be boom or bust, there is no way to know for certain till 3-4 years from now.

With Corbin & Arroyo not seeing the mound at the start of the season & hopefully Collmenter going back to his roll as long arm/6th SP, we needed guys to start the season. Unless some more trades are made, you are likely to see the rotation start at with Miley, Anderson, Hellickson, Nuno, & Cahill. If Cahill looks like Cahill in the spring, we might see him gone & replaced with Collmenter, Delgado, or Hudson. Hudson is almost assuredly starting in the BP but could end up in the rotation once he is ready.

Right now, if Stewart was to sign someone like Billingsley, we likely need to move Nuno/Delgado. Cahill will be on the team because his salary is already a sunk cost. Hopefully he pitches well enough to be useful to start the season & become trade bait when we get Corbin/Arroyo/Bradley back sometime by midseason.

The key is what are we going to do at 2nd/SS/3B? Will Hill be moved to 3B or be traded? Who is the odd man out between Owens/Didi/Ahmed? Could we go with a lineup of Owens(2B), Didi/Ahmed(SS), & Lamb(3B)?

JahiiCarson_SqodGeneral

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Braves are breaking up there whole team..... Get one of there pitchers or BP guys.

JahiiCarson_SqodGeneral

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Joe Saunders and Trevor cahill!!!!!!! What a duo! To get Saunders we would have to trade Goldy, Stewart make it happen!

johnson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Vidal Nuno or Trevor Cahill are starting next year, Dave Steward has already failed.

JahiiCarson_SqodGeneral

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Should of never traded Eaton...... We would have Pollock and Eaton..... I would look for an upgrade in the infield somebody at 3rd or 2nd? Hill is aging and we can always slide Pennington over to 3rd. Didi is such a liability on offense...... All give him half a season to improve his swing if not than we can trade him......

JahiiCarson_SqodGeneral

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trevor Cahill is actually fat and actually needs to lose weight this time I'm serious.

tuffydahog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the trade for Hellickson. I also think the Diamondbacks need more than two new starters honestly. The team's rotation last season was the worst starting rotation I have ever seen. I hope they get three new pitchers to be the 1, 2, and 3. Then they can use Corbin with no pressure on him if he comes back next season and let Anderson or Nuno be the fifth starter if they pitch well. Let Collmenter go back to the bullpen and see if Hudson can pitch there as well.

Ken Rosenthal is also now reporting that the Diamondbacks are interested in James Shields.
James Shields interests Arizona -- but can it afford him? | FOX Sports

While I would certainly not be against signing Shields, it does surprise me. If the Diamondbacks are willing to pay over 100 million for a pitcher, I do not know why they would not look to go after Jon Lester. He has already won a world series as the ace of the Red Sox, has a better ERA, and is younger. Shields actually did not pitch well in the 2014 playoffs compiling a 5.85 postseason ERA while going 0-2 in the World Series. He also was not able to go past 6 innings in the four games he pitched during the playoffs. So I do not know if he is worthy of a massive contract like he is seeking. I think Lester is certainly more proven. And like I just said, if the Diamondbacks are willing to go into the 100 million dollar range for a pitcher, then they should consider all the other aces potentially available in a trade or free agency in addition to Shields. I would go all out for Lester.

JahiiCarson_SqodGeneral

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dbacks interested in James Shields. Shields and Corbin poors man Herring and Webb.

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trade Montero. Trade Hill. Trade Ross.

Sign Lester. Land a decent reliever in the Montero trade.

Shields would be yet another mistake signing by the FO. He's getting up there in years and if you take a look at his workload over the last 5 years he's due to start breaking down soon. No thanks... that would be an awful investment. Lester and the Japanese dude (Maeda?) are the only two I'd sign long term.

Still want them to also look at Yasmany Tomas too.

JahiiCarson_SqodGeneral

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trade Montero. Trade Hill. Trade Ross.

Sign Lester. Land a decent reliever in the Montero trade.

Shields would be yet another mistake signing by the FO. He's getting up there in years and if you take a look at his workload over the last 5 years he's due to start breaking down soon. No thanks... that would be an awful investment. Lester and the Japanese dude (Maeda?) are the only two I'd sign long term.

Still want them to also look at Yasmany Tomas too.

Ummmmmm whos our catcher than?

Yall said the same thing about Cromartie for the cardinals. Face it Shields has a good 4-5 years left. If we can get Shields you trade for him........ Lester and Maeda will big way more expensive investments Braves,Cardinals,Cubs are going after Lester and ummm Maeda will be very expensive.... The cheaper investment is Lester and we can than focus our attention in imporving our BP, while trading the back guys in our rotation just get Lester and you can develop another ace if we trade for prospects. :suds:

JahiiCarson_SqodGeneral

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ummmmmm whos our catcher than?

Yall said the same thing about Cromartie for the cardinals. Face it Shields has a good 4-5 years left. If we can get Shields you trade for him........ Lester and Maeda will big way more expensive investments Braves,Cardinals,Cubs are going after Lester and ummm Maeda will be very expensive.... The cheaper investment is Shields and we can than focus our attention in imporving our BP, while trading the back guys in our rotation just get Shields and you can develop another ace if we trade for prospects. :suds:

CORRECTED! :yahoo:
Dont read the one above incorrect I said Lester is the cheaper investment when hes not. SHIELDS!