• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

"Jay Cutler isn't the Answer"

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While this is true, Jay is playing great ball, it is his turnovers that are killing the Bears. So even though he has 14 TD passes, you have to consider he threw 7 interceptions, and he has 8 fumbles. 15 turnovers is just fucking crazy.

Oh- for sure... I'm not trying to sell that Jay is elite or that we can win if he continues to turn the ball over WHEN he does. He needs to play better. Period.

I think the talk needs to be shared among the whole offense. I believe- A couple of these these things are happening:
*Oline not as good as people want to believe.

*Big WR's are not getting separation from DB's AND not making as many contested catches as in the past- Injuries early have slowed them and now finally they are both healthy.

*Missed communication on routes- We have seen some "questionable" Interceptions- everyone wants to simply blame Jay- of his 7 INTs...Off the top of my head- I think at least 3 were intended for Holmes or Morgan. Are they missed reads? By Jay or missed adjustments by small receivers new in the scheme? Not excuse- just a question. Marshall kept running- jay threw short against GB.

* Running game- isn't as good as we think- 5 of 7 games were below 100. Play calling, audibles, scheme, score dictating passing- there are a lot of factors.

Sportsdude101

Title Town
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They need to split with GB/NE to keep any hope alive. With home games vs MIN and TB following. Climbing out of a 4-5 hole to 6-5 is not unreasonable.

Yes, they do need to split with GB and NE. but that's a tall order. Both games on the road and both of those teams are in mid season form

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Um...
Passes Comp: 5th 177
Comp %: 6th 67.3%
TD's: t5th- 14
TD %: t10th 5.3% (tied w/brady)
Attempts: t 4th- 263
attempts per game: 5th- 37.6
Yards: 7th 1866

umm, the experts that rank quarterbacks dont have him top 15. Thats picking quarterbacks you want to lead your team to the superbowl or just win football games.

Ron Jaworski's 2014 Quarterback Rankings - KC Kingdom - FanSided

Stats have very little to do with wins. You should have that umm figured out by umm now.

Nice TD % tied with Brady. Brady has a worse defense, worse weapons, but somehow has won 5 games. Stop reading the stats. Cutler wont get a statue for winning stat contests.

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Joey, great opening comments on page 1. Sorry I'm late to the thread.

Not happy with some of Trestman's play calls. I believe Trestman grows into the position with time, if we can be patient. I hope we can be.

I'm not happy with Cutler. But there really is no better option out there at QB IMO. (Not a QB that is attainable.) Cutler simply just has to play better by not forcing throws. We've seen him do it. So it isn't unreasonable.

We have to hope that Emery can do something that no Bears' GM ahead of him has done. And its' not like other GM's have huge success picking a QB either.

Since Cutler was drafted in 2006, there have been 109 QB's drafted. 109. This season alone, 50 QB have taken a snap.

As for the turnovers. They happen. There have been 307 turnovers in the NFL so far (to date). Yes, that's a lot.

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks Average- Good points...
People always seem to forget that QB's are very hard to find. These greats that we have been seeing over the past....say...15 years- are some of the BEST Qb's of all time.

*and I'm going to make a prediction here: Aaron Rodgers, if he can stay healthy- will be a top 3 ALL TIME quarterback by the time his career is done. He is insane good. Accurate beyond belief, crazy strong arm and smart with the ball. I have never seen better. It sucks he plays for the Packers. It will depend on his longevity- but on his pace, he can some day be considered the best ever. (and that's from a Bear fan)

Nobody had seen anything like Favre, Peyton, Brady, Rodgers until they came. Never has the the QB position been played like this before. Just an example- Take a look at HOFer Terry Bradshaws actual numbers- Not very impressive by today's standards- I can be almost positive he wouldn't have lasted in Chicago in the late 90's early 00's putting up those numbers. (he had insane defense that won him SB's)
The rules have changed, playbooks/offenses have changed... I'm still impressed by 4,000 yards a year- now it's almost common for top performers to go 5,000. 30 td's was really good... Now it's 40-45. You need to average almost 2td passes a game just to get to 30. 45 you need almost 3 a game. Think about that- when was the last time a Chicago QB averaged 2 a game- let alone 3? even for like 5 games? Peyton has 14 in past 4 games. Rodgers has 16. Andrew Luck has 11. Brady and Romo have 10. These numbers are crazy- I think today's fans are numb to these numbers and when "their" guy doesn't do it "he sucks".

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jay has the highest base salary of any QB in the NFL this season, as reported on ESPN.com, but he doesn't produce like his peers in the same wage bracket. It's just that simple.

Simply looking at how the contract stacks up THIS season. Is extremely short-sighted.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
umm, the experts that rank quarterbacks dont have him top 15. Thats picking quarterbacks you want to lead your team to the superbowl or just win football games.

Stats have very little to do with wins. You should have that umm figured out by umm now.

Nice TD % tied with Brady. Brady has a worse defense, worse weapons, but somehow has won 5 games. Stop reading the stats. Cutler wont get a statue for winning stat contests.

Haven't we already been over this with you?

This is also the first year Jaws didn't have Cutler in his top 15 for a while. So I guess that means you thought Jay was a top 15 QB the other years, because of Jaws. lol

I also love how you conveniently pull one pre-season QB rankings that side with you.

C

cubzzzfanincali

Thanks Average- Good points...
People always seem to forget that QB's are very hard to find. These greats that we have been seeing over the past....say...15 years- are some of the BEST Qb's of all time.

*and I'm going to make a prediction here: Aaron Rodgers, if he can stay healthy- will be a top 3 ALL TIME quarterback by the time his career is done. He is insane good. Accurate beyond belief, crazy strong arm and smart with the ball. I have never seen better. It sucks he plays for the Packers. It will depend on his longevity- but on his pace, he can some day be considered the best ever. (and that's from a Bear fan)

Nobody had seen anything like Favre, Peyton, Brady, Rodgers until they came. Never has the the QB position been played like this before. Just an example- Take a look at HOFer Terry Bradshaws actual numbers- Not very impressive by today's standards- I can be almost positive he wouldn't have lasted in Chicago in the late 90's early 00's putting up those numbers. (he had insane defense that won him SB's)
The rules have changed, playbooks/offenses have changed... I'm still impressed by 4,000 yards a year- now it's almost common for top performers to go 5,000. 30 td's was really good... Now it's 40-45. You need to average almost 2td passes a game just to get to 30. 45 you need almost 3 a game. Think about that- when was the last time a Chicago QB averaged 2 a game- let alone 3? even for like 5 games? Peyton has 14 in past 4 games. Rodgers has 16. Andrew Luck has 11. Brady and Romo have 10. These numbers are crazy- I think today's fans are numb to these numbers and when "their" guy doesn't do it "he sucks".

Is it that hard to find a QB that commits too many turnovers? Really?

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

We get it… Stats matter when they're relevant to your argument, but are completely useless when they hurt your argument.

Got it.

C

cubzzzfanincali

Joey, great opening comments on page 1. Sorry I'm late to the thread.

Not happy with some of Trestman's play calls. I believe Trestman grows into the position with time, if we can be patient. I hope we can be.

I'm not happy with Cutler.

From all accounts, Cutler is the one doing all the audibiling away from the smart play calls. It's on him. Stop apologizing for him.

C

cubzzzfanincali

While this is true, Jay is playing great ball, it is his turnovers that are killing the Bears. So even though he has 14 TD passes, you have to consider he threw 7 interceptions, and he has 8 fumbles. 15 turnovers is just fucking crazy.

agreed, all of this stat picking is ignoring the obvious. Jay Cutler commits too many turnovers. Always has, probably always will.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Haven't we already been over this with you?

This is also the first year Jaws didn't have Cutler in his top 15 for a while. So I guess that means you thought Jay was a top 15 QB the other years, because of Jaws. lol

I also love how you conveniently pull one pre-season QB rankings that side with you.

How else do you show that stats dont always equal wins? This team should be 6-1.

You go to the defense sucks but the defense is no longer 28th, and worst against the run, they are middle of the pack. Would I have to dig those up to show they have played good enough to not lose?

Sorry I didnt go dig up quarterback rankings from other people, here is a current AOL ranking

AOL.com Article - Ranking the top 40 NFL quarterbacks

9 out of 30 top third good enough for you? still has rivers, romo, ryan and brees ahead of him. Cutler should at least be better than them. I bet he has better stats......

nebearsfan70

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh- for sure... I'm not trying to sell that Jay is elite or that we can win if he continues to turn the ball over WHEN he does. He needs to play better. Period.

I think the talk needs to be shared among the whole offense. I believe- A couple of these these things are happening:
*Oline not as good as people want to believe.

*Big WR's are not getting separation from DB's AND not making as many contested catches as in the past- Injuries early have slowed them and now finally they are both healthy.

*Missed communication on routes- We have seen some "questionable" Interceptions- everyone wants to simply blame Jay- of his 7 INTs...Off the top of my head- I think at least 3 were intended for Holmes or Morgan. Are they missed reads? By Jay or missed adjustments by small receivers new in the scheme? Not excuse- just a question. Marshall kept running- jay threw short against GB.

* Running game- isn't as good as we think- 5 of 7 games were below 100. Play calling, audibles, scheme, score dictating passing- there are a lot of factors.

Joey, I think we have finally found some common ground. I agree with everything you posted.

leomaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
4th and 1 and a quarterback runs for 30 yards. ....that was the difference between a win and a lose

IN MY OPINION

nebearsfan70

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Simply looking at how the contract stacks up THIS season. Is extremely short-sighted.

No it's not. In the NFL there are plenty of one year contracts, and people are judged on how they are performing today, not how they may perform in the future in consideration of their future contract. That is just plain nonsense. He is being paid and he needs to perform like he is being paid.

I think you are the one with narrow vision in this discussion.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No it's not. In the NFL there are plenty of one year contracts, and people are judged on how they are performing today, not how they may perform in the future in consideration of their future contract. That is just plain nonsense. He is being paid and he needs to perform like he is being paid.

I think you are the one with narrow vision in this discussion.

absolutely, considering basically every contract is basically a one year contract. Money is guaranteed, a roster spot is not. anyone can be cut at any time. Current contracts provide monetary guarantees, not ego guarantees.

nebearsfan70

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
absolutely, considering basically every contract is basically a one year contract. Money is guaranteed, a roster spot is not. anyone can be cut at any time. Current contracts provide monetary guarantees, not ego guarantees.

The problem is so many fans are willing to overlook his inconsistent play, turnovers, bad decision making, etc. despite the fact he is paid like he is P. Manning, Tom Brady, or AR. I think a lot of it is that Cutler is the best QB the Bears have had since Sid Luckman and many fans are caught up with him because we're just not accustomed to great QBs.

Despite it all, I don't believe he is the best QB that fits the Bears needs. This team is heavily dependent upon an explosive offense to keep them in games, and his miscues limit their chances. If this was 1985, Cutler would be awesome... Because the Bears didn't lean on offense as much as they do today. To me, it's just that simple.

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There have been some valid points made on both sides of the argument. I just want the Bears to win. I don't know whether it's Trestman's calls, or Cutler's audibles, but with two of the more gifted "go-up-and-get-it" receivers in the entire NFL, why do we even throw passes to the WR behind the line of scrimmage?

Those plays are a disaster and a momentum killer. Didn't work for Shoop. For Shea. Turner. Or Martz.