• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

"Jay Cutler isn't the Answer"

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We hear that after every loss... after each bad pass. I get it. Gotta blame someone, and Jay is Thee Quarterback. I also get that the QB get's the glory and the blame. Comes with the territory.

I'm not writing a "Don't blame Jay thread" Not this week... Can't. He didn't get it done. Didn't do enough. I know that.

The sentiment of "Cutler's not the answer" needs something more.... an alternative.

If Not JAY...then who? That's the hard part. We know Jay's a Bear for the next 2 years. At least- $54M Guaranteed. IF cut then we take a major cap hit. So What are the OPTIONS? Let's discuss/list em.

The alternative is what?

#1. Draft A Rookie:
Any rookies winning the SB lately? No... So maybe use a top pick for Jay's replacement in 2 years- ala Aaron Rodgers and GB. Let him sit and learn. We have to weigh the benefit. Would a first round pick in another position help more? Help Jay? Would that be the way to go?

19 NFL Starting QB's were 1st round picks. None of them won early in their career. 8 were #1 picks, 9 if you include Vick- who hasn't started...yet.
I want Andrew Luck as much as the next guy...but I just don't see the Bears being bad enough in the next few years to get the NUMBER #1 pick. And no guarantee there either...see JaMarcus Russell- or any other number of guys, you want Joey Harrington, Tim Couch, Sam Bradford, David Carr??

We do have 2 undrafted QB's starting now- Tony Romo... (who's 34 and get's almost as much second guessing as Cutler, and hasn't won a SB either, and Brian Hoyer... well does that name make anyone feel confident for future SB success?)
The Draft is so unpredictable, we all remember Cade McNown, and Rex Grossman...our past first round picks... just like the rest of the league- J.P. Losman anyone? Akili Smith #3 pick! Mark Sanchez...the list is endless for first round busts- you could land a 6th round Tom Brady- but it's highly unlikely. Maybe find a decent guy in the 2nd or 3rd round... but again- does that help or hurt your team if they aren't playing, and playing well- like a R. Wilson or Kaepernick. Would a 2nd round starting LB or S be better for the team then a "learning QB" sitting behind Jay?

#2. Get a Free Agent/Retread QB
I don't believe- Matt Schaub, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Kyle Orton, Josh McCown or any other journeyman would be Superbowl winners either... and certainly not long term answers. I don't know who would be available next offseason... and doubt they could perform any better. (could be worse) And if we want LONG TERM success this can't be "the answer"

#3. Trade Jay Cutler
You can't cut him you will still owe him $32M and won't have a QB.
Trades need to pick up his current deal. Don't know who would do that- give up at least one #1 pick and some others- couple 3's? plus have to pay him what's owed? I just don't see that. And then the Bears are left with options 2 and 3. That's not making you better overnight.

#4. Wait... Tank.
Jay's in the first year of his huge deal. If you believe that he's "not the answer" then that leads me to also believe that the Bears won't be very good. I think we have to come to grips with the fact that he's here for the next 3 drafts. Will the bears have a top 12 pick in the next three drafts? Will there be a QB worth taking with the idea to take over for him? Then you have to pull the trigger, and draft him... And hope.

I'm not there yet. I still think this offense can do this- Marshall just resigned for another 3 years. Alshon is still very young. Bennett isn't going anywhere. I'd rather get some more high draft picks on the OLine. Continue to fix the defense with skill and depth. I'm not drafting a QB #1 until they have a top 5 pick. meaning they have lost 12+ games.
Jay's not going anywhere... until after the 2016 season. Who knows what those years will bring.

What's your alternative?

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Our coaching staff is not the answer. Cutler is better then them. If we just run the ball 25 times a game we win. We should be in a SB hunt right now. I said from day one that Tdog and his staff were a major downgrade and everyone called me nuts. Lovie would win with this team. Emory has done great bringing in talent both in FA and the draft. This is a talented team.

Da Coach

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is one of the two biggest problems with the Bears right now. Cutler is not the answer and - this is coming from a long-time Cutler supporter BTW - there is no alternative right now. We're stuck with this loose cannon, and likely a mediocre team, for the foreseeable future. That's compounded by the fact that our other problem, Marc Trestman, is here for the foreseeable future as well.

Emery really screwed the pooch. Many of us at KFFL wanted Mike McCoy when Lovie was fired. He's doing pretty OK in San Diego. Emery didn't even consider him. He did consider Bruce Arians, who is doing pretty OK as well in Arizona. Neither of these coaches would have guaranteed Cutler's success but perhaps they could have shown enough leadership to prepare their teams each week and prevent their possible implosion in Week 7 of the season.

It's going to be a long 2-3 of years unless both Trestman and Cutler get their heads out of their asses.

blh7068

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They need to run the football more- as in actually gameplan for it, and not doing it based on game situations. The reality was after the first defensive series, the D went into hiatus, and very few showed up for the rest of the game. Does Tucker have any tutorials on defending the read option? It looks like (again) hes never seen it run.

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The question is, if Trestman is not the man, who is. Trestman and Kromer should have no excuses about these plays. I have always felt that Tucker was kept on to give these two another year after he is fired, but this defense has not been awful, actually so far 17th in offense and 17th in defense.

They say Harbaugh is out in San Fran after this season, that would bring some fire. Plus as a bonus we can watch his head explode on the sidelines.

Then it moves to Emery who is making the call hiring these guys.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With Jay's contract, I don't think we're going to be getting another QB this off season. I also cannot imagine that they would keep Jay and switch coaches on him. I think they're going to give Trestman one more season after this to show what he can do and if he can't cut it, they'll bring in another coach, with another offense, and either invest in another qb that year or give that coach one year with Jay and then let him make an educated decision on another guy. By then Jay's contract will be amortized another few years and it won't be as big of a pill to swallow to ramp someone up to replace him.

It is what it is. Like I've said before, you'll win some games BECAUSE of Cutler and you'll lose some games because of him. If he were better, the type of qb you win because of but don't lose because of, he would be an elite qb. The team is stuck with him for at least a couple of years... we may as well put our resources in areas where we aren't as stuck that need improvement (defense, special teams, right tackle, long term center) and see how far that takes us.

blh7068

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With Jay's contract, I don't think we're going to be getting another QB this off season. I also cannot imagine that they would keep Jay and switch coaches on him. I think they're going to give Trestman one more season after this to show what he can do and if he can't cut it, they'll bring in another coach, with another offense, and either invest in another qb that year or give that coach one year with Jay and then let him make an educated decision on another guy. By then Jay's contract will be amortized another few years and it won't be as big of a pill to swallow to ramp someone up to replace him.

It is what it is. Like I've said before, you'll win some games BECAUSE of Cutler and you'll lose some games because of him. If he were better, the type of qb you win because of but don't lose because of, he would be an elite qb. The team is stuck with him for at least a couple of years... we may as well put our resources in areas where we aren't as stuck that need improvement (defense, special teams, right tackle, long term center) and see how far that takes us.

Running the ball 14 times, with just 2 attempts in the first half plays right into the hands of the defense. How will personnel changes improve an offense that's committed to being one dimensional? Running the ball more than 25% of the time has to happen.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Running the ball 14 times, with just 2 attempts in the first half plays right into the hands of the defense. How will personnel changes improve an offense that's committed to being one dimensional? Running the ball more than 25% of the time has to happen.

I understand Jay checked out of some of called runs, but Trestman also called a lot of passes (at least that's what they were saying on the radio this morning). I can't argue with this. We should have run more in the first half. That could have changed the tenor of the entire game.

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We should have run more in the first half.

Like I posted already here, I'm not sure what or who to blame here. Is it Jay? Is it Trestman for the game plan and play calling or is a combination of both? Whatever it is, we are not putting up the points we did last year. Here we get the Defense working a bit, and boom the O goes in the tank. I'm not getting it and obviously, judging by the shouting match in the locker room after the game, the players aren't either.

Aussie77

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we run effectively then it slows down the pass rush and yesterday that line wasn't blocking well at all. Jay may not be the answer but if QB's were that easy to find we wouldn't have paid what we did to Denver to get Cutler in the first place.

Right now we are in a play out the season and see where it takes us not being able to win at home is killing us though it would be conceivable to say we have played our three worst games of the season in front of our home crowd.

I don't want us to try and run the ball two downs then throw on third down Lovie Smith is gone thank goodness but we need to mix it up a lot more than we are right now.

blh7068

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It doesn't have to be run run pass on every series. The difference between now and the Lovie years is they now have down field playmakers. Levies teams became predictable on offense when they tried and couldn't run the ball thus forcing them into a predictable passing situation with limited options in the passing game. This offense has the flexibility to still try and run the ball more, and even if it's not working, they have the downfield options that have to be accounted for. Before, secondaries didn't have to respect the passing game, especially in those down and distance situations that favored the defense.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand Jay checked out of some of called runs, but Trestman also called a lot of passes (at least that's what they were saying on the radio this morning). I can't argue with this. We should have run more in the first half. That could have changed the tenor of the entire game.

Which is one reason Martz never allowed Cutler to audible.

Miami was so late with their shifts with the safety, its like he watched the play clock and didnt approach the line until after Jay changed the play.

Jim Rome is Flaming

Check that, Chris Everett
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jay isn't "the answer", but he also isn't the problem. He could be an important piece to a SB team, but he won't ever carry a team to a SB. For example, I think if Cutler was the QB of the Seahawks last year, they win the SB. Same with the 2006 Bears.

He'll never be a top 5 QB over the course of a season. But in any given season, he'll have 5-6 games where he plays like a top 3 QB, along with 3-4 games where he plays like a bottom 10 QB. You can win a SB with a QB like that, but you need the pieces (specifically defense) around him, because he isn't going to put the team on his back week after week like the great QB's can.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jay isn't "the answer", but he also isn't the problem. He could be an important piece to a SB team, but he won't ever carry a team to a SB. For example, I think if Cutler was the QB of the Seahawks last year, they win the SB. Same with the 2006 Bears.

I dont agree with that, part of the reason the Seahawks are so good is because Wilson has never thrown more than 10 picks per season

Both his full years, 26 TD 9 int, 26 td, 10 int in his superbowl year. This year in 6 games he threw 10 TD to 2 int. Basically same pace.

That is consistency that wins superbowls.

blh7068

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Which is one reason Martz never allowed Cutler to audible.

Miami was so late with their shifts with the safety, its like he watched the play clock and didnt approach the line until after Jay changed the play.

Good grief. That wasn't a Cutler thing. Audibles weren't part of his system because the different formations he used were extensive, and limited the counter checking that could be done by the defense. That's how his offenses got the mismatches they wanted.

From what I've seen, I don't think Cutler has the flexibility to check out of many plays at all.

Last edited by a moderator:

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Our coaching staff is not the answer. Cutler is better then them. If we just run the ball 25 times a game we win. We should be in a SB hunt right now. I said from day one that Tdog and his staff were a major downgrade and everyone called me nuts. Lovie would win with this team. Emory has done great bringing in talent both in FA and the draft. This is a talented team.

Cutler is better than the coaching staff....I'm not sure how to relate to that statement.

I don't recall the coaches constantly under throwing receivers or throwing into double and triple coverage or bad decisions.....Look at that interception yesterday.Where we're the receivers at?

This happens way too damn often to be the coaches fault....

But like said before about excuses that there is no more and now someone wants to make another one for his inferior play.

Won't be long before fans start to boo him.I said a week or two ago and now the team is hearing it from the fans.

Da Coach

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He'll never be a top 5 QB over the course of a season. But in any given season, he'll have 5-6 games where he plays like a top 3 QB, along with 3-4 games where he plays like a bottom 10 QB. You can win a SB with a QB like that, but you need the pieces (specifically defense) around him, because he isn't going to put the team on his back week after week like the great QB's can.

I completely disagree. Cutler is the problem and he's a massive reason why the offense is underachieving. He has the talent to do all of the things that you say. The problem is that he fails at critical moments with poor decision making. He takes too many chances instead of trusting the play called, his progressions and the offense at large. This arrogance severely limits his ability to be the QB you think he can. That arrogance also comes through in is inability to improve and be consistently effective. The only thing Cutler has been consistent in is his inconsistency and untrustworthiness.

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guys- we've done this for years... Dissected Jay Cutler: mentioned his posture or jerkface or diabetes or bad decisions or perceived lack of leadership or perceived "lock on targets" or perceived "don't care" attitude.
We've had some defend him and point out past poor WR's or lack of Oline protection, bad routes, miscommunication with wr's or multiple OC changes... we've done it all. Either here on this board, or elsewhere. Bears fans have done this. I have done this.

To get back to the topic at hand... How... no let me say this- WHAT do you THE FAN... think they should do about it? We know who Jay Cutler is... Can you live with it? Hope for change? Will more/new OLine, speed WR help? Better defense? Different play calls?

Do you want to spend a top draft pick on a QB- Next year? The year after? Let him sit?- The counter to that is- would a top pick at a different position help Jay and the Bears more? Is it just a throw away pick wasting on the bench for the next two years. AND the gamble of he could just not be any good even with a year or two "learning"

Do you want to pick up a journeyman QB and make it an open competition with Jay over the next two years of his guaranteed contract.

What is your long term plan? That's what I was getting at for this thread. I'm tired of blame. < I don't say that, to defend Cutler- I say that cause it's overkill. We've heard it. We've seen it in the media... What's the solution?
I would love to have an option presented and then a discussion on the pros/cons. No more pissing contests of "Nut huggers" vs "Haters"... I think we all want the same thing. The Chicago Bears to be good. And to be good for an extended amount of time.

blh7068

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I completely disagree. Cutler is the problem and he's a massive reason why the offense is underachieving. He has the talent to do all of the things that you say. The problem is that he fails at critical moments with poor decision making. He takes too many chances instead of trusting the play called, his progressions and the offense at large. This arrogance severely limits his ability to be the QB you think he can. That arrogance also comes through in is inability to improve and be consistently effective. The only thing Cutler has been consistent in is his inconsistency and untrustworthiness.

Takes too many chances? He's 6th in completion pct, and 23rd in YPA. High completion pct coupled with a low YPA isn't a formula for taking too many chances. When they devise a game plan that includes an attempt to establish the run, things will get better. Running the ball 25% of the time isn't going to keep any defense honest.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guys- we've done this for years... Dissected Jay Cutler: mentioned his posture or jerkface or diabetes or bad decisions or perceived lack of leadership or perceived "lock on targets" or perceived "don't care" attitude.
We've had some defend him and point out past poor WR's or lack of Oline protection, bad routes, miscommunication with wr's or multiple OC changes... we've done it all. Either here on this board, or elsewhere. Bears fans have done this. I have done this.

To get back to the topic at hand... How... no let me say this- WHAT do you THE FAN... think they should do about it? We know who Jay Cutler is... Can you live with it? Hope for change? Will more/new OLine, speed WR help? Better defense? Different play calls?

Do you want to spend a top draft pick on a QB- Next year? The year after? Let him sit?- The counter to that is- would a top pick at a different position help Jay and the Bears more? Is it just a throw away pick wasting on the bench for the next two years. AND the gamble of he could just not be any good even with a year or two "learning"

Do you want to pick up a journeyman QB and make it an open competition with Jay over the next two years of his guaranteed contract.

What is your long term plan? That's what I was getting at for this thread. I'm tired of blame. < I don't say that, to defend Cutler- I say that cause it's overkill. We've heard it. We've seen it in the media... What's the solution?
I would love to have an option presented and then a discussion on the pros/cons. No more pissing contests of "Nut huggers" vs "Haters"... I think we all want the same thing. The Chicago Bears to be good. And to be good for an extended amount of time.

What should the Bears do? Live with a skilled but flawed QB (you're not going to be able to trade him or afford two Jay Cutler contracts), try to build an identity on defense and keep fortifying the offensive line. It's possible to win with a qb who isn't elite. It doesn't happen very often, but there are a couple of instances where it has worked. The odds are probably better that we'll win a SB accepting Cutler for the next few years and pouring our resources into building out other position groups than it would be putting more resources into the QB position at the expense of those other groups. I'm not blaming Jay or "nuthugging", just living in reality.

For the record... I think he's a good leader with great skill. He just makes bad throws at bad times. If we had an angry defense that was capable of burying opponents... Cutler may be good enough to help the team score enough points to win most games. I just don't think he's good enough to overcome a flawed defense like an elite QB could.