• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Jay Cutler... For discussion

C

cubzzzfanincali

Define "not playing in the Top 15 QB's so far this year"... Because:

Passing yard leaders so far this year... Jay Cutler #10
Passer Rating ESPN has ... Jay Cutler #13
NFL QB Rating has.... Jay Cutler #10
QB Rating in the red zone has.... Jay Cutler #12
Total QBR has Jay Cutler at ..... #16

Are you a QBR purest? Or is there a rating system I'm missing here?

I'll give you an even funnier bunch of stats, if you want, that actually show Jay having a much better statistical year than Aaron Rodgers to this point (odd huh).

I am a fan of QBR, though no doubt there is no single stat that can capture the totality of QB play. You can cherrypick what stats you like, I can do the same. For example, he is in the large tie for second place in interceptions. He is also 14th in completion %, 26th in yards per attempt, and tied for 27th in longest pass! Haha. Just having a little fun.

But in seriousness, yeah, I don't think he is in the Top 15 right now. OK, to explain my thinking, I think Tom Brady is still one of the league's best QBs, even though his statistics are terrible. So I am not really basing my opinion of Cutler on many stats except for 2. Now, before I say this, let me make the obvious even more obvious: games are won and lost by the whole team, no kidding. But I think he deserves the primary responsibility for the buffalo loss, and he shares a lot of the blame (along with, I'd say, the defensive line) for the Green Bay loss. I guess I am giving him less credit for the wins than blame for the losses, but that's partly from what I just saw watching the 22 film. I really saw him making a lot of mistakes with his choices of receivers, so I am having a hard time getting past that. I suppose I should wait until I have caught up on more of the league before making a statement like "not in the Top 15", but the sample of his first four games from this season does not inspire confidence.

Let's put it this way...maybe not in the Top 15 is too harsh. Maybe. He's definitely not playing like a Top 10 QB.

C

cubzzzfanincali

Once again, for another season. I have officially had it with all of the Jay Cutler nonsense on this board.

The Cutler "haters" will find reasons to pin everything on him, and the Cutler "nut huggers" will generally back him through most everything he gets criticized for. Even if I do feel the "nut huggers" are far more sensible. As most of us did pin MUCH of the blame on Jay for the BUF and GB losses. While the "haters" can't even take their fucking blinders off for a second to admit when he plays well. Besides going, "Hey! At least he didn't fuck up, and turn it over!" Lol

These type of threads are exhausting and they do nothing but go in circles.

Well, yeah, they are exhausting. If Cutler would play more consistently than we wouldn't have to worry about it. But he doesn't. I don't consider myself either a Cutler lover or a Cutler hater, I'm sort of divided on the guy, but we have to analyze his play, because he is the QB, and now he is getting paid a large fraction of the team's salary cap. So...yeah....his inconsistency matters. He is open to question. Hey, I'm totally rooting for the guy, a lot of the national media portrayal of the guy is obnoxious and stupid, but I'm not going to whistle past the guy's flaws. When he screws up, he definitely hurts the team.

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm following what you're saying Cubzzzfanincali... Fair enough. Good discussion.

Wounded Bear

Pilgrim on a Moutain Top
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Once again, for another season. I have officially had it with all of the Jay Cutler nonsense on this board.

Well no one is making you stay. It's not like you really add much to the quality of debate.

I guess what's tough to take on this board is a guy like yourself who doesn't know much about football whining about how everyone else doesn't know much about football.....it's like listening to a condescending moron.

The Cutler "haters" will find reasons to pin everything on him, and the Cutler "nut huggers" will generally back him through most everything he gets criticized for. Even if I do feel the "nut huggers" are far more sensible.

I like how you are distancing yourself from the "nuthugger" community when you are a founding member.

It's amusing.

As most of us did pin MUCH of the blame on Jay for the BUF and GB losses. While the "haters" can't even take their fucking blinders off for a second to admit when he plays well. Besides going, "Hey! At least he didn't fuck up, and turn it over!" Lol

So I made the comment about Jay Cutler not throwing any interceptions and how it positively affected our defense's performance after the San Francisco game in a thread exclusively dedicated to an evaluation of our defense's performance in a thread entitled Time to see our whole defensive plan and I stated:

I owe you an apology, ntj....agree whole-heartedly on their play, nothing fancy, just guys that filled their gaps and looked like they've been on a football field before. Very dramatic turnaround from week 1 to week 2.

Let's hope they can maintain a reasonable amount of consistency.

On the flip side, Jay didn't throw any INT's to put them in a bad situation. Hats off to Jay Cutler.

And true to your predictable childlike idol worshipping sycophant behavior, you proceed to have an enormous temper tantrum claiming that I didn't give Jay enough credit (when it was a thread about the defense, not Jay), that Jay Cutler played brilliantly in that game (even though he went 10 for 20 for 64 yards in the first half), and that Jay Cutler won the game "single-handedly" (even though Kyle Fuller had 2 key interceptions giving the offense a short field and Willie Young had a couple of sacks that stymied a couple of San Fran drives late in that 8 point game).

So I had the audacity to make a comment regarding one of the variables that, in fact, had a positive effect on our defense's performance in a thread dedicated to discussing our defense. And that fact was that Jay Cutler didn't throw any interceptions in that game putting our troubled defense in bad field position to lose the game.....and instead of acknowledging this fact, you decide to throw a conniption fit with your trademark Richignorance and try to hijack the thread into another childlike Jay Cutler is infallible, no one better say anything bad about Jay thread.

Jesus Christ, dude, how fucking boring are you? Are there any other strings on that banjo?

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well no one is making you stay. It's not like you really add much to the quality of debate.

I guess what's tough to take on this board is a guy like yourself who doesn't know much about football whining about how everyone else doesn't know much about football.....it's like listening to a condescending moron.

I like how you are distancing yourself from the "nuthugger" community when you are a founding member.

It's amusing.

So I made the comment about Jay Cutler not throwing any interceptions and how it positively affected our defense's performance after the San Francisco game in a thread exclusively dedicated to an evaluation of our defense's performance in a thread entitled Time to see our whole defensive plan and I stated:

And true to your predictable childlike idol worshipping sycophant behavior, you proceed to have an enormous temper tantrum claiming that I didn't give Jay enough credit (when it was a thread about the defense, not Jay), that Jay Cutler played brilliantly in that game (even though he went 10 for 20 for 64 yards in the first half), and that Jay Cutler won the game "single-handedly" (even though Kyle Fuller had 2 key interceptions giving the offense a short field and Willie Young had a couple of sacks that stymied a couple of San Fran drives late in that 8 point game).

So I had the audacity to make a comment regarding one of the variables that, in fact, had a positive effect on our defense's performance in a thread dedicated to discussing our defense. And that fact was that Jay Cutler didn't throw any interceptions in that game putting our troubled defense in bad field position to lose the game.....and instead of acknowledging this fact, you decide to throw a conniption fit with your trademark Richignorance and try to hijack the thread into another childlike Jay Cutler is infallible, no one better say anything bad about Jay thread.

Jesus Christ, dude, how fucking boring are you? Are there any other strings on that banjo?

You've been here for what? 5-6 weeks? And since you disagree with me on the topic of Cutler. I don't know anything about football.

Yet, I'm the fool. And come on man… you know damn well that's not what I meant when I called you out for that statement. You didn't make that comment simply as "Well, kudos to Jay". You REALLY seemed to make the comment in a condescending manner. As if to say; "Ha… at least the idiot didn't fuck it up". That's how it read to me. If it wasn't how you meant it, I do apologize.

Okay, well. I've had enough. You seem like a decent guy.

Have a nice Saturday night man. Go Bears tomorrow :suds:

Like I said, I've had enough of this Cutler stuff. It clearly brings out the worst in all of us. Around and around in circles we go… it will never stop. EVER.

P.S… if you re-read… I put myself SQUARELY in the middle of the nut hugger community. lol

I do think I am fair with Jay though. I do criticize him. I just also defend him when I feel he is unfairly criticized, which I feel is quite often. I do not think Jay is a great QB. I think he is good, and that's all I've ever said.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wounded Bear

Pilgrim on a Moutain Top
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You've been here for what? 5-6 weeks? And since you disagree with me on the topic of Cutler. I don't know anything about football.

Yet, I'm the fool. And come on man… you know damn well that's not what I meant when I called you out for that statement. You didn't make that comment simply as "Well, kudos to Jay". You REALLY seemed to make the comment in a condescending manner. As if to say; "Ha… at least the idiot didn't fuck it up". That's how it read to me. If it wasn't how you meant it, I do apologize.

My comment that Jay helped the defense was not only simple and straightforward, but factual as well.... The fact that you took offense to it proves my point that you are nothing more than a fan (derived from the term "fanatic") and not a student of the game. It further proves that you have great difficulty discussing these sorts of topics in an intelligent, coherent, or adult fashion.

The fact that you translated: "On the flip side, Jay didn't throw any INT's to put them in a bad situation. Hats off to Jay Cutler "into "Ha… at least the idiot didn't fuck it up" demonstrates to me that you have a hard time understanding simple prose and perhaps that understanding my straightforward thoughts are way above your capabilities.

C

cubzzzfanincali

Like I said, I've had enough of this Cutler stuff. It clearly brings out the worst in all of us.

To the contrary, I find Jay Cutler threads bring out my best qualities as a human being. I feel expansive...generous....patient....charitable. Yes, yes, all of these, and more.

I am going to take a guess that I speak for the wider Sportshoopla Bears forum community in pointing out that the weirdest thing about this richig vs. WBear battle is that you guys have almost IDENTICAL avatars. It's....kind of spooky.

C

cubzzzfanincali

if I make this my avatar, will it help or hurt?

HunterSThompson2.jpg

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if I make this my avatar, will it help or hurt?

HunterSThompson2.jpg

Lol… the whole board should just have a Hunter S Thompson avatar theme this season. Just to confuse the shit out of opposing team's posters when they come to checkout the board.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My comment that Jay helped the defense was not only simple and straightforward, but factual as well.... The fact that you took offense to it proves my point that you are nothing more than a fan (derived from the term "fanatic") and not a student of the game. It further proves that you have great difficulty discussing these sorts of topics in an intelligent, coherent, or adult fashion.

The fact that you translated: "On the flip side, Jay didn't throw any INT's to put them in a bad situation. Hats off to Jay Cutler "into "Ha… at least the idiot didn't fuck it up" demonstrates to me that you have a hard time understanding simple prose and perhaps that understanding my straightforward thoughts are way above your capabilities.

I feel as if you had a larger body to read off of on my posts, and if you stick around for a while. You will feel differently.

I interpreted the tone of your post in an incorrect fashion... while on a message board where it is near impossible to pickup on such things…

Oh lordy lord… I must just be a simple SIMPLE man. "DER-DUH… Don't talk about my Cutler!"

EDIT: And I didn't take offense to it man! My lord… I simply thought you meant something that you did not. We are on a MESSAGE BOARD. It's not uncommon to mistake one's tone, misread sarcasm, irony, etc...

C

cubzzzfanincali

Lol… the whole board should just have a Hunter S Thompson avatar theme this season. Just to confuse the shit out of opposing team's posters when they come to checkout the board.

that would be kind of funny, although I think it would also drive me crazy. There's only so much of Hunter S. Thompson I can take.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
that would be kind of funny, although I think it would also drive me crazy. There's only so much of Hunter S. Thompson I can take.

That certainly can be true.

AmericanTebowFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For people that say Cutler can't beat the Packers, you're forgetting that Cutler OUTPLAYED Rodgers in the final game of the season last year. Cutler came up big with the division title on the line. He had a 103.8 passer rating, compared to Rodgers' 85.2 rating. Cutler's QBR was 88.8, compared to Rodgers' 57.7. Jay played MUCH better than Rodgers in the big game. It wasn't Jay's fault that some freak plays happened (like Rodgers' OWN fumble getting picked up and taken for a TD), or that Chicago's defense had that horrible breakdown at the end. The way Cutler played in that game should comfort fans that worry about him in big games.

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For people that say Cutler can't beat the Packers, you're forgetting that Cutler OUTPLAYED Rodgers in the final game of the season last year. Cutler came up big with the division title on the line. He had a 103.8 passer rating, compared to Rodgers' 85.2 rating. Cutler's QBR was 88.8, compared to Rodgers' 57.7. Jay played MUCH better than Rodgers in the big game. It wasn't Jay's fault that some freak plays happened (like Rodgers' OWN fumble getting picked up and taken for a TD), or that Chicago's defense had that horrible breakdown at the end. The way Cutler played in that game should comfort fans that worry about him in big games.

LOL, Rodgers had just missed 7 games with the broken collarbone, first game back, went 25/39 for for 318 yards and 2 TD's. The only thing that dropped his QB rating was the second interception. Cobb hadnt played since october.

Cutler 15/24 226 yards 2 TD final play interception.

And in less than 7 years he will break ever record ever by a bear quarterback and will be considered the greatest quarter back in chicago bear history. They wont give us a super bowl trophy for that, but you really consider those numbers as cutler outplaying Rodgers?.

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL, Rodgers had just missed 7 games with the broken collarbone, first game back, went 25/39 for for 318 yards and 2 TD's. The only thing that dropped his QB rating was the second interception. Cobb hadnt played since october.

And in less than 7 years he will break ever record ever by a bear quarterback and will be considered the greatest quarter back in chicago bear history. They wont give us a super bowl trophy for that, but you really consider those numbers as cutler outplaying Rodgers?.

No they won`t............He`d have to be in the HOF to be that.

That distinction belongs to Sid Luckman.

And I`d still take Jimmy Mac oveer Jay..................

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And he neglected to bring rest of the years too........Especially the championship game.:L

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ha... You could put a thread out that just read: "JAY CULTER- Go... "

And this is exactly what you would have. The "nut huggers" (I don't even understand that term- really if anyone hugged my nuts I would be pretty confused... and kinda impressed- that's a difficult thing to do- wrap your arms around someone's nuts. I mean, is it a gentle, loving thing, like a slow dance hug... or is it more of the bro hug?...quick little tough pound on the back? well I digress- Could it be a "gay is bad" reference? hmm)

The Jay Cutler Supporters: are and have been defending against "The Stupid"- and that's where I am... when I read or hear some of this stuff- it comes off like they are one of the "da Superfans" from SNL. I just imagine this over the top Chicago accent... When I hear something like- "at least he didn't throw a Pick" said or written by someone on this board, (that's happen a couple times) When it's said by a known "hater"- that's exactly what it is. It's a way to remind people that- "HEY- JAY CUTLER THROWS PICKS!!" without actually saying that- it's a backhanded compliment. IMO.

If you notice, people that support a player... don't point out when they DON'T do something bad.

I never heard anyone say- "well at least Fuller, didn't fall down on that play"

And they don't make crazy assumptions- connecting their dots.

10 TD's 4 picks- That's pretty good... If I told anyone that's where he would be after 4 games- I think we all would take it! Fact.
Thanks- GO BEARS!! < what we all want. (at least we are not Buffalo and have Kyle Orton starting today)

AmericanTebowFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Of course Cutler outplayted Rodgers in that game. He had a much higher passer rating and QBR than Rodgers. LOL that you would bring up Cutler's interception. You know it was a final seconds desperation hail mary. Cutler should have had no interceptions in that game. But he had 1 compared to Rodgers' 2. AND, Rodgers fumbled while Cutler had no fumbles. Rodgers had freak luck that his fumble got picked up and taken for a TD. Anyone intelligent who watched that game saw that Cutler played better than Rodgers.

The Bears allowed a 48 yard TD pass on a 4th and 8 with 38 seconds left. One of the worst defensive breakdowns you'll ever see. Cutler should have gotten his big win against the Packers. Really too bad. You're a Bears fan, so aren't you upset that Cutler's defense let him down in the final seconds of that game? It should have been a damn win.

nomoreshoop

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I said 'man crush' not 'nut hugger', lol.
Jay is his own worst enemy, he can do everything the other QBs do, but continues to lose to them.