• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

James Shields

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I guess I don't focus on that one play as much. I think what killed the Rangers was that they didn't play Ranger style baseball. They didn't pitch deep into games. They intentionally walked tons of guys. They walked tons of guys. Arguably their best starter throughout the season was stashed in the pen. They threw the ball over the middle of the plate over and over again. They made a lot of errors. Honestly, I didn't think they played all that well against Detroit which is why I thought the Cardinals were going to get them in 5.

I don't focus it all just that one play either. And I agree, the Rangers didn't get the quality starting pitching that we all expected aside from Lewis in game 2 and Holland in game 4, and the defense was sub-par (mainly on MY). To many mistakes.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No. The defense was not mainly on MY. It's this kind of crap that just absolutely makes me want to shake some of you guys. Everyone on the team had their hands on those defensive miscues. Ian, Elvis, Napoli, Torrealba, Moreland and Cruz all had defensive blunders in the WS that affected outcomes of WS games. The MY hate is so irrational it's amazing.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No. The defense was not mainly on MY. It's this kind of crap that just absolutely makes me want to shake some of you guys. Everyone on the team had their hands on those defensive miscues. Ian, Elvis, Napoli, Torrealba, Moreland and Cruz all had defensive blunders in the WS that affected outcomes of WS games. The MY hate is so irrational it's amazing.

i know, the team committed 12 errors in post-season and some on this board are prepared to blame all 12 of them on MY. their hate is comical.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
LOL

Relax. I'm not hating on MY. I'm just calling it like I see it. Now watch the first half of game 6. Figure out how many extra at-bats STL got because of Young's defense, and then play the percentages on how that may factor into future potential runs. Next, consider that they scored 2 runs directly off his miscues. Those were routine plays unlike the play Cruz "missed" in the 9th. The difference between Young and Nap/Kins/Andrus is that those 3 guys saved this team countless runs with their defense in the WS (not to mention before), so when they make a mistake it's a little different. We don't win game 2 without the two Andrus/Kinsler plays. We don't win a number of games without Nap throwing runners out on the bases. We don't win in Detroit without Cruz to Napoli at the plate against Cabrera. What defensive play did MY make this postseason to save/win a game?

Torrealba played one game defensively in the WS. Don't be crazy and say we lost that game because of his defense. One has to do with strategy, utilizing strengths, minimizing weaknesses, and game-planning while the other has to do with fundamentals, reflexes, and execution - big difference. There's a difference between calling a good game and playing defense. In game 3, STL destroyed our pitching and the umps screwed us over on a call (yes that was Kinsler on a bad throw, but if the right call is made it doesn't matter), and yes Nap had a miscue at 1B but again on a play that shouldn't have happened.

Finally, even the homer manager Wash who always goes with his guys took MY out of the game late in the game to go with Moreland for defense in game 6. That should tell you how confident Wash was in MY's defense. How in the world can you bench your captain at the end of the biggest game of the season? I'll tell you how - because he's a huge defensive liability.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Keep in mind Young DH'd most of the playoffs, which limited his chances for errors.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL

Relax. I'm not hating on MY. I'm just calling it like I see it. Now watch the first half of game 6. Figure out how many extra at-bats STL got because of Young's defense, and then play the percentages on how that may factor into future potential runs. Next, consider that they scored 2 runs directly off his miscues. Those were routine plays unlike the play Cruz "missed" in the 9th. The difference between Young and Nap/Kins/Andrus is that those 3 guys saved this team countless runs with their defense in the WS (not to mention before), so when they make a mistake it's a little different. We don't win game 2 without the two Andrus/Kinsler plays. We don't win a number of games without Nap throwing runners out on the bases. We don't win in Detroit without Cruz to Napoli at the plate against Cabrera. What defensive play did MY make this postseason to save/win a game?

Torrealba played one game defensively in the WS. Don't be crazy and say we lost that game because of his defense. One has to do with strategy, utilizing strengths, minimizing weaknesses, and game-planning while the other has to do with fundamentals, reflexes, and execution - big difference. There's a difference between calling a good game and playing defense. In game 3, STL destroyed our pitching and the umps screwed us over on a call (yes that was Kinsler on a bad throw, but if the right call is made it doesn't matter), and yes Nap had a miscue at 1B but again on a play that shouldn't have happened.

Finally, even the homer manager Wash who always goes with his guys took MY out of the game late in the game to go with Moreland for defense in game 6. That should tell you how confident Wash was in MY's defense. How in the world can you bench your captain at the end of the biggest game of the season? I'll tell you how - because he's a huge defensive liability.

so you're assuming that someone else would have made those plays. have you got a crystal ball that showed that ? would have made this play or that play?

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Keep in mind Young DH'd most of the playoffs, which limited his chances for errors.

oh, you're right we can assume that he would have had 10 or 15 errors all by himself based totally on your suppositions

that's called unwarranted hate

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Dude relax. I stated a fact. Let me break it down for you. MY played several games this postseason as the Rangers DH. Look it up as this is verifiable information. Players cannot possibly make fielding errors, when they do not play in the field. Therefore, using sound logic, because MY played games as the DH, he had less opportunities to make fielding errors. Does this make sense? It's not hate. It's certainly not unwarranted anything or another. Its just a fact.

I'll say this: MY is the weakest defensive player in the starting line-up. That's an opinion. However, it's an opinion based on fact. And that's why he plays as the DH.

You're the one making assumptions.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
so you're assuming that someone else would have made those plays. have you got a crystal ball that showed that ? would have made this play or that play?

I'm not saying someone else would have made those plays. I'm saying MY should have made those plays. That's why it was ruled as an error both times. Baseball is a funny like that I guess because go figure - when guys mess up plays they should make, they're penalized for it by being charged an error. Does that make sense?

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not saying someone else would have made those plays. I'm saying MY should have made those plays. That's why it was ruled as an error both times. Baseball is a funny like that I guess because go figure - when guys mess up plays they should make, they're penalized for it by being charged an error. Does that make sense?

so the fact we lost the series is all MY's fault. i was wondering how long it would take to putting all the blame on someone.

Last edited by a moderator:

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't worry I blame Feliz and Oliver

i think the fact that our bullpen couldn't hold a 2-run lead in the 9th and 10th of game 6 has to be the major reason but some want lay it on MY

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Young played his part, but Feliz and Oliver were completely and utterly useless in game 6

Al Falfa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so the fact we lost the series is all MY's fault. i was wondering how long it would take to putting all the blame on someone.

That's not even close to what he said, however there's plenty of blame to go around, but you need to quit lumping Young and Moreland together. It's unfair to Moreland.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I blame Torrealba for standing on the left side of the plate to field Napoli's throw in the top of the 4th in Game 3. With a force at home ... the catcher stays as far away from the runner as possible with his right foot on the plate facing toward the first baseman since that is the only play that can be made.

Torrealba on the wrong side of the plate and facing the pitcher ... didn't have the agility to move to his right to field Napoli's throw. Had he made that catch forcing Pujols he then would have also been able to have a good shot at doubling Jay which would have ended the half inning with STL leading 2 - 0.

In the bottom of the 4th ... TEX scored 3 runs ... and from there the game plays differently. If TEX holds on to win Game 3 ... then with Games 4 and 5 going to TEX ... there is no Game 6 or Game 7 ... no trip back to STL.

It all goes back to that play at the plate misplayed by Torrealba. Napoli got the error for the throw ... but Torrealba was out of position and didn't react ... and that is what made the off line throw a two run disaster.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's not even close to what he said, however there's plenty of blame to go around, but you need to quit lumping Young and Moreland together. It's unfair to Moreland.

did Moreland not make miscues? did Kinsler not make miscues? did Elvis not make miscues? Did Napoli not make a miscue? hell, even Beltre made a miscue. the Rangers committed a total of 12 errors during the post-season and i'm not going to pick one player and try and lay all the blame on him.

the TEAM had their chances and they came up short. if you are crass enough to spend your time blaming one player then that's your problem.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Response 1: You cannot be serious. Right? Seriously? Wow! Did I say that at all?! No. I did not. I did not say we lost the series because of MY and that it's all his fault. He certainly played his part, as did the pitching and several other people, including Wash (decisions late in game 6). I have posted that much in other threads if you care to read and then process the information accordingly. Where did you learn reading comprehension? I blame that place for the Rangers losing and all the bad things in the world.

Or

Response 2: "Doh!" :closed_2: You win! :yield: I did blame MY for the loss and for all the world's problems. See I was just waiting for the recent economic/financial issues and wars and other problems we all face to coincide with the Rangers losing their 2nd straight WS appearance to blame it all on MY. It's all his fault. No, no, no - I'm wrong. Thank you. You've shown me the truth! Clearly, I was in error. MY was the one shining bright light for the Rangers. I blame the baseball for not cooperating with MY's glove or hand. I blame Cardinals' batters for hitting the ball to MY. I blame Derek Holland for not punching Wash in the face and asking for the ball in game 6 and game 7 and shutting out the Cards in 6 to win the series and then for kicks to go out and do it again in a game 7 just to prove that he's in fact "the most interesting man in the world" instead of that guy in the Dos Equis commercials.