• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

James Bond 007 General Discussion Thread

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can’t imagine this deal easily gets through antitrust approval?? Amazon is already being criticized every day as a monopoly. Not sure this is a slam-dunk.
how would their purchase of a movie studio add to their monopoly? Their streaming service, while good and strong, is hardly a monopoly in that industry.

Reactions: gob

gob

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,496.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
how would their purchase of a movie studio add to their monopoly? Their streaming service, while good and strong, is hardly a monopoly in that industry.
Yeah, don't see how this would be a monopoly issue. Disney buying Fox went through fine, right?

chappee11

Esteemed Colleague
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not necessarily in streaming, but just in general as they are taking over EVERYTHING. I imagine there will be a lot of opposition to this deal.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not necessarily in streaming, but just in general as they are taking over EVERYTHING. I imagine there will be a lot of opposition to this deal.
There may be some opposition just based on their general size. Not sure there is a legal base to that potential opposition, though. I know next to nothing about the legal definition of a monopoly, though.

But, as gobucks said, if Disney can buy Fox with next to zero opposition, I don’t expect any issues here.

Reactions: gob

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can’t imagine this deal easily gets through antitrust approval?? Amazon is already being criticized every day as a monopoly. Not sure this is a slam-dunk.
Remember the monster anti trust suit for Microsoft because windows came with it's own imbedded browser (or something)
That seems like a joke today since it benefited the company that probably has 10 times the unfair practices that Microsoft ever did.

Google.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agent WD-40 > 007

MarriedKaleidoscopicKookaburra-max-1mb.gif

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even if this goes to a lawsuit, Bezos will just throw money at it and it will go away

gob

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,496.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There may be some opposition just based on their general size. Not sure there is a legal base to that potential opposition, though. I know next to nothing about the legal definition of a monopoly, though.

But, as gobucks said, if Disney can buy Fox with next to zero opposition, I don’t expect any issues here.
Plus WB and HBO

OUGuy1999

BOOMER..SOONERS!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My personal opinion, as like with Disney, a streaming platform purchasing a studio is bad for competition. As the title says, Bond will be only on Prime now as they will have exclusive rights, and any other streaming service that would want to put any MGM studio productions on their streaming service will have to pay Amazon a lucrative amount of money instead of streaming services bidding or sharing the content over their platforms. With Disney opening up their own streaming service you can already see this happening as pretty much all star wars and marvel stuff is only available through Disney+ (some are still in other areas due to current contracts).

Allowing streaming services to purchase actual studios is just another way for these companies to squeeze the consumer for every dollar they can without any competition. Amazon will either squeeze the shit out of other services who want to show MGM movies/shows on their services or you will see Prime subs go up in price. Its a shitty deal and it shouldn't be allowed, just like Disney should not have been allowed to purchase Fox. This is all just my opinion though.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My personal opinion, as like with Disney, a streaming platform purchasing a studio is bad for competition. As the title says, Bond will be only on Prime now as they will have exclusive rights, and any other streaming service that would want to put any MGM studio productions on their streaming service will have to pay Amazon a lucrative amount of money instead of streaming services bidding or sharing the content over their platforms. With Disney opening up their own streaming service you can already see this happening as pretty much all star wars and marvel stuff is only available through Disney+ (some are still in other areas due to current contracts).

Allowing streaming services to purchase actual studios is just another way for these companies to squeeze the consumer for every dollar they can without any competition. Amazon will either squeeze the shit out of other services who want to show MGM movies/shows on their services or you will see Prime subs go up in price. Its a shitty deal and it shouldn't be allowed, just like Disney should not have been allowed to purchase Fox. This is all just my opinion though.

Also makes me wonder what the quality of the films will be like as well. Not just Bond films, but films in general

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They aren't monopolies are long as there are 1 or 2 other massive companies swallowing everything else up, too

sigh

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FYI, if you're thinking of all those classic MGM movies, they aren't going to Amazon. Everything pre-1986 that MGM did was actually bought by Ted Turner which he later sold. It's now owned by WarnerMedia, so you can view most of that stuff on their competing streaming service, HBO Max.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FYI, if you're thinking of all those classic MGM movies, they aren't going to Amazon. Everything pre-1986 that MGM did was actually bought by Ted Turner which he later sold. It's now owned by WarnerMedia, so you can view most of that stuff on their competing streaming service, HBO Max.

So basically nothing of value we can see on HBO Max...

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So basically nothing of value we can see on HBO Max...

The eff? Like basically every movie MGM ever did worth a damn was pre-1986. Citizen Kane, Ben-Hur, Wizard of Oz, Gone with the Wind, 2001: A Space Odyssey, tons of other classic films, all the cartoons that Tex Avery made. 60 years worth of Hollywood history there. From the 20s until the late 70s, MGM was a Hollywood titan. The real value of MGM creations is with Warnermedia. Basically the only thing in the Amazon deal of real value is the Bond films (which British EON still owns 51% interest in) and the Rocky franchise (which wasn't included with that pre-1986 sale)

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The eff? Like basically every movie MGM ever did worth a damn was pre-1986. Citizen Kane, Ben-Hur, Wizard of Oz, Gone with the Wind, 2001: A Space Odyssey, tons of other classic films, all the cartoons that Tex Avery made. 60 years worth of Hollywood history there. From the 20s until the late 70s, MGM was a Hollywood titan. The real value of MGM creations is with Warnermedia. Basically the only thing in the Amazon deal of real value is the Bond films (which British EON still owns 51% interest in) and the Rocky franchise (which wasn't included with that pre-1986 sale)

Why was I thinking all those were another company

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They aren't monopolies are long as there are 1 or 2 other massive companies swallowing everything else up, too

sigh
Maybe, maybe not. But other conglomerates are irrelevant when it comes to anti trust with Amazon. There are already are suits underway against Amazon and them officially owning at least a share of the market place could be argued they have gotten too big. Once they buy out Starbucks it’s all over for them.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe, maybe not. But other conglomerates are irrelevant when it comes to anti trust with Amazon. There are already are suits underway against Amazon and them officially owning at least a share of the market place could be argued they have gotten too big. Once they buy out Starbucks it’s all over for them.

Amazon is in talks to buy out Starbucks? I don't go there anyway as it's overpriced crap anyway

Battlelyon

2021 Super Bowl Champions Rams
Hoopla Cash
$ 118.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The extra sensitive James Bond

You know it is a matter of time before they make him trans, the once cool ladies man is riding down a slope of mediocrity.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3