• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

It's Time to make peace with Joe Buck

Band of Brothers

A Dreamer...trying to find my way home for dinner
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know ...I know...Joe Buck sux ! To be honest with you I was not a big Joe Buck fan a while back. He can be a little too much at times. The dash through SF a few years ago to announce a 49ers game and then to do the Giants was a little much but Buck is not a bad dude. His Dad was a real classy announcer in his day for the Cardinals. Jack Buck told a story and had some great moments in broadcasting history. I read that Jack Buck got into writing poetry and had some great moments announcing the WS. He had the Gibson HR call in the 1988 WS Gsme 1 vs. the A's. He also called that memorable 1991 WS between Minnesota and Atlanta. He also earned the Purple Heart in the Military and is enshrined in the HOF in Cooperstown.

It has to be hard for Joe to completely lose his love for the Cardinals when he calls games as I am sure he looked up to his Dad for many years . It was his father that Joe looked up to and became a announcer himself which is a great tribute to his Dad.

All I know is that Joe Buck has announced all 3 of the SF Giants World Championship teams so I am flipping the script and saying that Joe Buck has been mighty lucky for us and I hope he is in the booth for Championship #4. It might be hard for some out there but it's time to make peace with Joe Buck.

Go Giants !!

on youtube...

Jack Buck's 9-11 Poem

posted by titolandrumrocks

:suds::clap:

jeep99tj

If you don’t agree with me, don’t talk to me.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 224.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Joe was the TV announcer for the Cards when I lived in St Louis. Really liked him and Al Hrabosky when I watched their games.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As I said in another thread, I actually like his play calls. He has an excellent voice instrument, and he gets appropriately and spontaneously excited at the right times.

He needs better color guys.

09_Midnight-cowboy.jpg

Maybe Ratzo Rizzo.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Buck would be fine as a team broadcaster. But as a national guy, he sucks. It is impossible for him to call a game down the middle.

Kruk and Kuip would not do well as national Broadcasters, but as Giants Broadcasters, they are HOF.

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As I said in another thread, I actually like his play calls. He has an excellent voice instrument, and he gets appropriately and spontaneously excited at the right times.

He needs better color guys.

09_Midnight-cowboy.jpg

Maybe Ratzo Rizzo.

Well done...how old is announcer Joe? Maybe he was named after this guy?

I just don't like his style, it's too stentorian and a little pompous. Much prefer Jon Miller or Duane Kuiper.

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Buck would be fine as a team broadcaster. But as a national guy, he sucks. It is impossible for him to call a game down the middle.

Kruk and Kuip would not do well as national Broadcasters, but as Giants Broadcasters, they are HOF.

This. Jon Miller on the other hand was excellent doing national games. Did he get fired or did he decide not to do them anymore?

jeep99tj

Hoopla Cash
$ 224.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I actually think they would do very well nationally (glad they're not national). They seem well prepared for both teams as well as the umpiring crew which you don't see from any other announcing crews.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually think they would do very well nationally (glad they're not national). They seem well prepared for both teams as well as the umpiring crew which you don't see from any other announcing crews.

I love Kuips scouting report on the HPU before each game. Really helps to set up the game.

However, they get excited and I think would have a hard time calling it down the middle.

Jon and Flem would make GREAT national guys. Jon has done it, and Flem does it on smaller events.

jeep99tj

Hoopla Cash
$ 224.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love Kuips scouting report on the HPU before each game. Really helps to set up the game.

However, they get excited and I think would have a hard time calling it down the middle.

Jon and Flem would make GREAT national guys. Jon has done it, and Flem does it on smaller events.

I think Buck and his crew could learn a lot on setting up a game for the viewers by watch a few of Kruk and Kuips games. Knowing what to watch for from both teams as well as the umpire makes a huge difference and I think not having that from the World Series announcers made it a little frustrating especially since all they seemed to talk about was the Royals and 1985.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Buck and his crew could learn a lot on setting up a game for the viewers by watch a few of Kruk and Kuips games. Knowing what to watch for from both teams as well as the umpire makes a huge difference and I think not having that from the World Series announcers made it a little frustrating especially since all they seemed to talk about was the Royals and 1985.

To be fair to Buck, the audience for Kruk and Kuip are Giants fans, who are into to game for the game. The audience for Buck are Schmoes who are watching an event. He needs to dumb down the narrative and tell a generic story. Kruk and Kuip can tell a detailed story that varies from day-to-day.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This is funny, and I acknowledge that they went kinda Bum-Wild in game 7.

But in games 1-6, you could substitute just about any Royal player in the pick and it would have been accurate.

Beginning game 3 (I think it was G3) they were doing the lineups and spent probably 5 mins gushing on how awesome the Royals lineup was. Than Buck said something like "I guess we should show the Giants some love as well" and spent about 45 seconds on the Giants lineup.

In game 1, they would rave about the amazing defense of the Royals OFers while they shagged a Giants single, or the "Amazing cut" of the Royals hitter as he struck out, or how "zoned in" the Royals were as they were flying out to Pence.

It was actually quite humorous.

{+}Mother-Marge{+}

Hoopla Cash
$ 50.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol,.....I lost all respect for buck when he ~screamed~ in horror watching randy moss ((mOOn)) the packerz fans almost a decade ago,......''nuff-said''.

{+}Mother-Marge{+}

Hoopla Cash
$ 50.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
*....but,......I loved his short-lived HBO [?] SHOW with artie lange as his first guest..!

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol,.....I lost all respect for buck when he ~screamed~ in horror watching randy moss ((mOOn)) the packerz fans almost a decade ago,......''nuff-said''.
I'm sure you've mooned a few people in your day.

:suds:

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't mind Joe. McCarver was bad. Reynolds is alright, but not that good. I like Verducci and his opinions in the broadcast, a lot of people probably disagree with me there.

Someone brought up a point, I think Joe has taken a few weeks off of NFL and he has had actual time to prepare and things to say. That's always what I didn't like about him, he didn't talk much about the game, probably because he was worried he would make a bad claim. I always enjoy his calls, gets just excited enough for everybody, at least makes it seems like he's enjoying it (which he probably is).

jeep99tj

Hoopla Cash
$ 224.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's always what I didn't like about him, he didn't talk much about the game, probably because he was worried he would make a bad claim.

Game 6 he mentioned the pitchers spot was due up in the Giants half of the inning and Peavy was probably done. Then they reminded him that there was a DH.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's always what I didn't like about him, he didn't talk much about the game, probably because he was worried he would make a bad claim.

Game 6 he mentioned the pitchers spot was due up in the Giants half of the inning and Peavy was probably done. Then they reminded him that there was a DH.

I will forgive him for that. I made the same mistake when I was chalking out a game-plan for Game 6 after Game 5...

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah, that was bad.