• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

It's Tigers Time

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just finished the game. I've been out all day. What a day for Odor (and Murphy)! I loved how Reynolds and Verducci were talking about Odor. The bullpen has looked much better lately. All we need is a few of these kids to start producing and good things could happen.

2 side notes: I believe that in the 9th EA got his first hit w/ a RISP. Also, I think we're now 3-0 when Gimenez is in the line-up.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It looks like we're going to pick up a game on all 3 teams in front of us. I don't know if anyone watched the A's game but they looked terrible.

terpsfball09

Crabcakes and ACL tears
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The amount of talent we've grown in our middle infield is incredible. Literally the past 5 years in bringing up kinsler, EA, profar, Odor, Sardinas, If only we developed pitchers as successfully because that shit looks DEPLETED lol

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The amount of talent we've grown in our middle infield is incredible. Literally the past 5 years in bringing up kinsler, EA, profar, Odor, Sardinas, If only we developed pitchers as successfully because that shit looks DEPLETED lol

They really need to address that in this upcoming draft. They should draft a shit load of pitchers.

terpsfball09

Crabcakes and ACL tears
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Jeff Hoffman is there, then we need to take him with our pick, no questions asked. I was excited when we drafted akeem bostick last year in the first round because I think he's got a ton of upside. Horrible mechanics, which makes his ceiling for him even higher... and he ALREADY had a power fastball with his slender frame.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Jeff Hoffman is there, then we need to take him with our pick, no questions asked. I was excited when we drafted akeem bostick last year in the first round because I think he's got a ton of upside. Horrible mechanics, which makes his ceiling for him even higher... and he ALREADY had a power fastball with his slender frame.

I don't follow them when they're that young. I'll take your word for it though. I might just look him up.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DMN latest:

After watching Martin go hitless in four passive at-bats with three strikeouts, Washington pushed outfielder Shin-Soo Choo back to the top of the order. He did this despite the fact that Choo has hit .333 with a 1.107 OPS in his six games (and 25 plate appearances) as the No. 3 hitter.

So Choo will go back to the top of the order; Mitch Moreland will take a turn at No. 3 and Martin will drop back to seventh. It is the first start in the No. 3 spot in Moreland’s career.

“He hasn’t gotten to a point where he is disciplined yet,” Washington said. “He’s an aggressive hitter and when you try to take that away from him, you take away a little bit of who he is as a player. He’s still a slasher. He’s still learning to hit with two strikes.

“He tried [Friday] too much to be a leadoff hitter,” Washington said. “I just want him to be Martin.”

In 155 career plate appearances as the leadoff hitter, Martin has a .239 batting average, .280 OBP and .624 OPS compared to his overall numbers of .260/.311/.690

What makes the Fielder deal stand out is that the Rangers were taking on the equivalent of a major free-agent-type financial commitment. Teams usually do more due diligence on those deals. The Rangers put Elvis Andrus into an MRI tube before finalizing his $115 million deal.

At the same time, they also thoroughly MRI’d Matt Harrison before signing him to a $55 million contract. That included X-rays of his back. Those showed no issues. And the physical exams were clean enough to allow for a fairly lucrative insurance policy to be written. Despite all of that, Harrison’s back gave way to a lower lumbar disk herniation just two starts into his deal.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DMN latest:

After watching Martin go hitless in four passive at-bats with three strikeouts, Washington pushed outfielder Shin-Soo Choo back to the top of the order. He did this despite the fact that Choo has hit .333 with a 1.107 OPS in his six games (and 25 plate appearances) as the No. 3 hitter.

So Choo will go back to the top of the order; Mitch Moreland will take a turn at No. 3 and Martin will drop back to seventh. It is the first start in the No. 3 spot in Moreland’s career.

“He hasn’t gotten to a point where he is disciplined yet,” Washington said. “He’s an aggressive hitter and when you try to take that away from him, you take away a little bit of who he is as a player. He’s still a slasher. He’s still learning to hit with two strikes.

“He tried [Friday] too much to be a leadoff hitter,” Washington said. “I just want him to be Martin.”

In 155 career plate appearances as the leadoff hitter, Martin has a .239 batting average, .280 OBP and .624 OPS compared to his overall numbers of .260/.311/.690

What makes the Fielder deal stand out is that the Rangers were taking on the equivalent of a major free-agent-type financial commitment. Teams usually do more due diligence on those deals. The Rangers put Elvis Andrus into an MRI tube before finalizing his $115 million deal.

At the same time, they also thoroughly MRI’d Matt Harrison before signing him to a $55 million contract. That included X-rays of his back. Those showed no issues. And the physical exams were clean enough to allow for a fairly lucrative insurance policy to be written. Despite all of that, Harrison’s back gave way to a lower lumbar disk herniation just two starts into his deal.
Choo should not have been pulled from lead off. Crazy Wash gut stuff. The best lead off man in baseball and you pull him for Martin? Go fish. Lessons learned. Back to seventh.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Really? What would you call holland, Perez, Martinez, and Tepesch?

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Choo should not have been pulled from lead off. Crazy Wash gut stuff. The best lead off man in baseball and you pull him for Martin? Go fish. Lessons learned. Back to seventh.

Choo would be great hitting third, but we desperately need a lead off hitter and Martin is not that guy. Loads of talent, but a ten cent head.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Choo would be great hitting third, but we desperately need a lead off hitter and Martin is not that guy. Loads of talent, but a ten cent head.[/QUOTE

I'm a little more "middle-of-the-road" on Martin than you. Maybe a lot actually.

He's still just 26 years old, is Cuban - meaning, many of these guys are talented yet, not disciplined - and he's gotten better for two straight years (fielding/hitting) so I'm gonna roll with his "immaturity" issues and let him grow.

I see boat loads of upside, and as much as don't want to say this, I think Wash is handling/evaluating him perfectly.

Just one guy's take.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really? What would you call holland, Perez, Martinez, and Tepesch?

Here-here. And why this great rush to bury Colby Lewis just yet? Not you, but many. Maybe he's toast, maybe not. Let these next few months play out and see what happens.

Frankly, I still see moments when he looks like he's getting it back. And the moments are more prominent with each start. Or is that just me being a homer/optimistic?

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here-here. And why this great rush to bury Colby Lewis just yet? Not you, but many. Maybe he's toast, maybe not. Let these next few months play out and see what happens.

Frankly, I still see moments when he looks like he's getting it back. And the moments are more prominent with each start. Or is that just me being a homer/optimistic?

No, I see it too. He needs that shut down start where he goes 7-8 allowing 2 or less. He needs to know he can still do it.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I really hope Moreland can fit in at the three hole. He's got to keep the same approach he's been using. That opposite field double yesterday is a perfect example. I just wish we had someone else who could lead off so choo could hit third.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I know exactly what you're saying. Choo is a terrific asset as a LO hitter. Absolutely, terrific. However, he's done very well at the three hole, and we need both.

Martin, IMO, can be a terrific LO man. But right now, he's not mentally capable of handling the demands - seeing more pitches, hit to the open field, etc - on a day-to-day basis.

But RW is putting him there on as a "sample/learn" opportunity and letting him experience the pressure/needs of being this type of hitter. Maybe he'll get it, maybe not. But I'm with RW on this one and those have been few and far between for me. haha

And hey young man............HAPPY MEMORIAL DAY.......You have earned this one. And thanks.