• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

It's starting...the annual "Jim Harbaugh to the NFL" headlines

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the one good (and sometimes bad) quality of the Lions is that they stick with their head coaches. I think, unless the guy is having an absolute meltdown, you keep a coach for at least 3 full seasons. It just takes that long to move a team that is heading in the wrong direction, IMO. I don't think Patricia is a terrible coach, but I don't know if he can move these guys to become playoff contenders. I say give him one more year with some good draft picks.
In many cases I agree. However, the Browns are more talented than they have been in years and still have $50 mil in cap room. They need to be in win now mode and if they decide Freddie isn't the guy now or the future why wait?

This isn't like Belichick when he was here who was just unlikeable and made a move that upset the fans emotionally (cutting Kosar). He was at least smart. Freddie is just not very bright. He makes many blunders that are beyond foolish. I cannot think of one positive I can point to for him. And believe me, starting over is not something I look forward to as it means teaching a bunch of young guys a new offense (and probably D as well as new coach would not keep wilks I don't think).

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How many great seasons has Harbaugh had in the NFL??

Looks like three, followed by a clunker, then five shit seasons in Ann Arbor.

I guess I'd like someone who really knows about the 49'ers to weigh in on what was going on in SF before, during and after Harbaugh's time there before I anoint him as an NFL hero.

Further, if you look at his entire history as a coach, the one constant across all levels is that he loses the big games.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Browns would have to offer him a Gruden like contract (I think his is 10 year contract). That way he knows he has their complete support and probably would have a BIG say in the draft room.

I wonder if the shine is coming off of Baker. I don't think you can truly succeed anymore in the NFL without a top 10 QB (probably top 6-7). By succeed I mean win a SB. Baker has been pretty bad this year, from what I can tell (I don't watch a lot of Browns football though).
why do you think coaches care so much teams let coaches go too soon? If they believe in themselves they think they can change things...and most have massive egos. what is worse case? Get fired and get paid 2-3 years not to work?

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Every coach denies NFL interest untol they actually accept a job in the NFL. Have to because of recruiting.
Satire thread.

Excerpt from Harbaugh's letter to UoM parents:

First of all, no NFL team has contacted me or my agent in quite some time. Years actually, which frankly is a little disappointing to me, but if we're being completely honest -- which is the intention here -- can you blame them. I mean, shit. Just look at what I've done here in Ann Arbor, or more to the point, what I haven't done. I haven't won a national championship. I haven't won a B1G conference title; hell, I haven't even won my division. We basically get our shit pushed in every time we face a team with a pulse. I have a losing bowl record, and not only can I not beat Ohio State, but last year -- a year that was SUPPOSED TO BE OUR GOD DAMNED YEAR -- they hung more points on us than any other team in the history of our program.

Sir Robin Of Camelot

You seem angry. Miserable, even.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don’t come to Dallas, Bro.

olympicoscar

Life is what you've made of it.
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,999.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does Harbaugh finally make the jump?

My position is still that I would love to keep him, but I wouldn't be too sad if he jumped ship. I think Michigan would have an easier time finding a replacement with the talent left at Michigan. I just hope if they were to replace him, they are not exclusive to the "Michigan man" thing. I could see Les Miles coming here if they went that route, and I'd rather not see that.

So does Harbs make the jump this year, or will he try to break the Ohio State curse next year?

He'll likely need a transfer portal QB. Otherwise, he has a young team.

cwerph

Go Bucks!
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In many cases I agree. However, the Browns are more talented than they have been in years and still have $50 mil in cap room. They need to be in win now mode and if they decide Freddie isn't the guy now or the future why wait?

This isn't like Belichick when he was here who was just unlikeable and made a move that upset the fans emotionally (cutting Kosar). He was at least smart. Freddie is just not very bright. He makes many blunders that are beyond foolish. I cannot think of one positive I can point to for him. And believe me, starting over is not something I look forward to as it means teaching a bunch of young guys a new offense (and probably D as well as new coach would not keep wilks I don't think).
My biggest criticism is his stunning lack of situational awareness and that he apparently doesn't learn from his mistakes, he doubles down on them.

He actually said after the game that they have to continue to be effective running the ball. This is the same guy who calls the plays who, in the 2nd half of a close game, called 6 carries for Chubb and 0 carries for Hunt, opting instead to have a qb with an injured hand throw the ball all over the lot when he wasn't running for his life.

And that's not the worst - earlier in the year he was driving for a td at the end of the first half, and with less than 2 minutes to go and the ball in the red zone, he dialed up 3 passes, two incomplete to stop the clock followed by an INT in the end zone. Because of the bad clock management, the other team was able to go down and score.

This week, with the game seemingly in control and less than 3 minutes to go in the half, again driving, instead of running the ball so the Steelers at least had to burn their timeouts, he called passes (incomplete) which combined with the 2 minute warning gave them the ball with 2 minutes to go and all 3 time outs. They scored a TD, swinging the momentum of the game. and the result was the result.

His explanation: He wanted to score, get a stop, then score again.

Dude, your team ain't that good.

BoiseMike19

10 inch Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 450.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just my opinion, but I think Harbaughs "you're my friend, who am I to judge or mold you" approach is much more receptive at the NFL level. 18 to 23 year olds need guidelines and a respected leader. I think the NFL is a lot better fit for his style and the numbers show it.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My biggest criticism is his stunning lack of situational awareness and that he apparently doesn't learn from his mistakes, he doubles down on them.

He actually said after the game that they have to continue to be effective running the ball. This is the same guy who calls the plays who, in the 2nd half of a close game, called 6 carries for Chubb and 0 carries for Hunt, opting instead to have a qb with an injured hand throw the ball all over the lot when he wasn't running for his life.

And that's not the worst - earlier in the year he was driving for a td at the end of the first half, and with less than 2 minutes to go and the ball in the red zone, he dialed up 3 passes, two incomplete to stop the clock followed by an INT in the end zone. Because of the bad clock management, the other team was able to go down and score.

This week, with the game seemingly in control and less than 3 minutes to go in the half, again driving, instead of running the ball so the Steelers at least had to burn their timeouts, he called passes (incomplete) which combined with the 2 minute warning gave them the ball with 2 minutes to go and all 3 time outs. They scored a TD, swinging the momentum of the game. and the result was the result.

His explanation: He wanted to score, get a stop, then score again.

Dude, your team ain't that good.
I so wish all this wasn't 100% spot on. as I said, my issues with him are simply that he is dumb. He is definitely not smart enough to be an OC AND a HC. And if they take away playcalling from him, what is the point in keeping him as that was why he was hired?

Not sure you noticed, but he had another blunder on steelers' last drive. Called a TO with around 2:20 left. Never mind he let 5-6 seconds run off before he called it (which means he didn't know what to do...even worse after thinking he made the wrong call).

Why is this dumb? Let the clock run and you lose 20 seconds. Use TO (his last) then after the 2 minute warning he loses 40 seconds on the clock. was saved some because Duck also made a rookie gaffe and threw the ball away stopping the clock.