• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

It looks like the Vikings need to decide who they want to keep Peterson or Bridgewater

Who should the Vikings keep?

• Peterson

Votes: 8 40.0%
  • Bridgewater

Votes: 12 60.0%

• Total voters

LambeauLegs

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,938.22
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because they both dont work together very well at all. Bridgewater does his best when in the shotgun and Peterson hates to run from the shotgun. Bridgewater does not like to line up under center and hardly passes from there and that is where Peterson is the best.

This shows teams that when Bridgewater is under center they are running and passing when in the shotgun. Good defenses can play against this well. The Vikings just have not played many good defenses yet and appear to be over rated.

Here is a great article I saw written on this by Viking fans.

Click the link for full article it was to long to copy it all

Adrian Peterson and Teddy Bridgewater: Something's Gotta Give

Adrian Peterson and Teddy Bridgewater: Something's Gotta Give

Going into this season, the logic was that Peterson's return was going to make things significantly easier for Bridgewater, as defenses were going to have to focus their attention on Peterson. So far, especially when compared to the finishing stretch of last season, that really has not been the case. . .and it appears that some of that might have to do with Norv Turner's offense developing a pretty significant "tell" of its own.

Over at Pro Football Reference, they have splits of how players perform in various situations, including by the various formations that offenses line up in. Looking at the 2015 split page for Adrian Peterson, here's how his carries this season have broken down based on the Vikings' offensive formation.

..............................Carries..... Yards......... Yards/Attempt... Touchdowns..... First Downs
QB Under Center.... 210 .......1,111.................5.4....................... 8.................... 55
Shotgun .................. 31..............53...................1.7....................... 0....................... 2

We've heard on numerous occasions that Peterson doesn't like running out of the shotgun and how he'd rather be lined up seven yards back, allowing him to get a head of steam before reaching the line of scrimmage. The numbers bear that out, as he's been pretty awful running out of the shotgun so far this season.

The problem with that, at least as it pertains to Bridgewater, is that it runs exactly counter to what he does best. Here are the 2015 split numbers for Bridgewater so far this season

.................................. Completions.. Attempts Completion %.. Yards.. Touchdowns... Int
QB Under Center ............50 .................84 ...............59.5.......... 659......... 2................ 2
Shotgun........................... 157............. 234 ..............67.1.........1,596....... 6 .................5

As you can see from the numbers, Bridgewater is a significantly better passer out of the shotgun formation, as it allows him the opportunity to scan the field.

This is not just a trend from this season. Take a look at the numbers from Bridgewater's rookie season.

...............................Completions Attempts Completion % Yards Touchdowns Interceptions
QB Under Center......... 48............ 100............. 48............ 482......... 3.................... 8
Shotgun........................211............ 302............. 69............ 2,437.......12................... 4

Seriously, look at that, would you? The discrepancy is incredible, particularly the completion percentage and the TD/Interception ratio. Teddy Bridgewater is most effective when he's allowed to line up in the shotgun, spread out opposing defenses, and use his considerable intelligence to make his reads and find the open man.

But opposing defenses know that Adrian Peterson doesn't like to run out of the shotgun. So, it stands to reason that they know if the Vikings are lined up with Bridgewater under center and Peterson in the backfield, they're going to be running the football. If they're lined up in the shotgun and Peterson stays on the field. . .a fairly rare occurrence. . .they're probably going to throw the football.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Bridgewater cant do well under center then he is not a QB you want to put your future into.
(I have no clue if this is true about him, just going off of what I read here )

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Peterson is near the end of his career... You keep the young QB ... You don't know how good Bridgewater can end up being just yet...

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Bridgewater cant do well under center then he is not a QB you want to put your future into.
(I have no clue if this is true about him, just going off of what I read here )

A feature of the stats in the OP that stands out to me is just how much better his numbers are this year than last year when taking snaps from under center. While his numbers from the shotgun were much better than they were from under center last year, most of that difference has been eliminated this year.

I suspect that his improvement from under center from last year to this year is partly due to the presence of AP this year, and also partly due to Bridgewater simply developing. Rather than getting rid of either Bridgewater or AP, perhaps it makes better sense for the Viking to simply let Bridgewater further develop as a QB when taking snaps from under center.

KnuteRoc

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A feature of the stats in the OP that stands out to me is just how much better his numbers are this year than last year when taking snaps from under center. While his numbers from the shotgun were much better than they were from under center last year, most of that difference has been eliminated this year.

I suspect that his improvement from under center from last year to this year is partly due to the presence of AP this year, and also partly due to Bridgewater simply developing. Rather than getting rid of either Bridgewater or AP, perhaps it makes better sense for the Viking to simply let Bridgewater further develop as a QB when taking snaps from under center.

This. I think the more important point is the growing number of QBs coming out of college from these Spread offenses that haven't been developed under center. Bridgewater isn't the only one. Kaepernick and Wilson come to mind. Even from my own team, Golson, Zaire and Kizer are all very rarely under center. It's disgusting, though I suppose we might also have to account for the time a QB has in the pocket to take, 3, 5 or even 7 step drops from under center versus the rush of today's defenses versus say, the 80s and 90s with the likes of Montana or Young from the West Coast offenses, which I think is where these spread offenses have their origins. Do they have the same amount of time to read the field as those QBs of yore did? I'm seeing a lot of talk these days about the ball being out within 2 seconds, that seems hardly enough time to read much past the first option, especially considering the depth of a route. While that may not be the actual norm, it does seem as though the time-to-read has been shortened somewhat, unless the O-line is very good or the Defense isn't blitzing.

The problem I see with the Vikings is that they have a middling line and they don't really have a great threat in the slot. They have that young kid that's been giving them some deep threat capability but their receivers aren't exactly wow'ing anyone. Just take a look at how often AP gets touched before he hits the LOS... that line needs work.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Peterson is near the end of his career... You keep the young QB ... You don't know how good Bridgewater can end up being just yet...
200.gif

This is a young mans game... If I was a betting man I would say AP has maybe 1 or 2 good seasons left. AP's contract still has 2 seasons left on it, but I'd honestly try to shop him before he declines. Even if Bridgewater doesn't pan out, at least they can feel better about making the smarter decision.

But then again, I'm not a GM for a reason.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
AD has a handful of games left, Bridgewater is their long term QB, if they can only keep one they have to keep the future.

Balljim55

Abnormally Average
Hoopla Cash
$ 35,250.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #3
I suspect most QBs do better from the shotgun because of constant vision of the defense. The running game works better when the QB is under center. This is nothing new and is possibly a manufactured issue

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trade them both for Manziel, fire Blair Walsh and recruit Howie Long to QB coach.

fknhippie

I'll shit in your shoes.
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems to me the Teddy's stats are about equal if he had the same number of attempts under center.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In 3 years neither will likely be with the team.

Teddy is quickly approaching the dreaded BUST.

Seattle was kind of the straw that broke the camels back for me. In a game we were down the whole time, he barely mustered 110 yards passing or something like that. It's not like late in the game Seattle was playing all these exotic defenses. They were just sitting back and playing their base and he still couldn't figure out a way to find an open WR past the LOS.

If there is a QB on the board in round 1 of the upcoming draft, the Vikes have to take him. Can't just sit there and wait for Teddy to develop now knowing from what we have seen that it isn't extremely likely that he is going to be a QB worth waiting for.

Knowing the Vikes salary situation and how they are stacked with young talent and need young talent less than most teams, I am hoping the Saints put Brees on the market in the midst of their rebuild. The Vikes I would guess would happily give up a 1st rounder plus to have Brees under center as they opened their new stadium next season.

Last edited:

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In 3 years neither will likely be with the team.

Teddy is quickly approaching the dreaded BUST.

Seattle was kind of the straw that broke the camels back for me. In a game we were down the whole time, he barely mustered 110 yards passing or something like that. It's not like late in the game Seattle was playing all these exotic defenses. They were just sitting back and playing their base and he still couldn't figure out a way to find an open WR past the LOS.

If there is a QB on the board in round 1 of the upcoming draft, the Vikes have to take him. Can't just sit there and wait for Teddy to develop now knowing from what we have seen that it isn't extremely likely that he is going to be a QB worth waiting for.

Knowing the Vikes salary situation and how they are stacked with young talent and need young talent less than most teams, I am hoping the Saints put Brees on the market in the midst of their rebuild. The Vikes I would guess would happily give up a 1st rounder plus to have Brees under center as they opened their new stadium next season.

Eh I think the Vikes can go forward with Teddy. IMO he'll never be an elite QB but he's a decent game manager if you have the right pieces around him. Seattle took off quickly in that game and Wilson just went full HAM, so that puts a lot of pressure on a QB as young as Teddy. Minny was also missing 3 HUGE defenders at every level and while Seattle still probably would've won, it definitely might have been a 24-17 style of game.

Teddy is a decent QB which is what most teams wish for. If they can get a good replacement for AP and continue to build up that OL, the Vikes should be a formidable team for the future.

Seattle is also hitting stride. That team has WAY too much talent to just suddenly drop out of the Super Bowl picture. The defense is starting to click with the absence of Cary Williams and Bennett/Avril are having career years. Rawls has completely taken over the backfield IMO and Wilson has just taken over the field. The # of times he juked and made defenders miss was ridiculous... he's playing at another level.

TLDR: I think you're being too hard on Teddy.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is this serious?

You keep the QB, not the old running back with a year or two left.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

From what I've read this is shaping up to be more of 2010 draft class than a 2012 one.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
.................................. Completions.. Attempts Completion %.. Yards.. Touchdowns... Int
QB Under Center ............50 .................84 ...............59.5.......... 659......... 2................ 2
Shotgun........................... 157............. 234 ..............67.1.........1,596....... 6 .................5

As you can see from the numbers, Bridgewater is a significantly better passer out of the shotgun formation, as it allows him the opportunity to scan the field.
The numbers are awfully similar. Certainly doesn't make a slam dunk case in either direction. Much better completion % from shotgun, but a yard more per attempt under center is pretty significant. Advantage: push.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bridgewater should know that en effective run game can only help out the QB position and he absolutely needs to improve when under center. He will never amount to anything if he cannot improve on that.

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Id have serious concerns with Bridgwater

I think its no coincidence that in every game a team has bottled up AP, the Vikings have been basically blown off the field

Teddy has yet to even prove to me he is game manager good, nevermind good enough to be a reason the Vikings win football games

Win TWINS!!!

Least Racist Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.74
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TLDR: I think you're being too hard on Teddy.

I disagree, but they shouldn't give up on him just yet. Some of the issues are injuries (losing Sullivan and Loadholt HURT the O-line, and they've had to piece it together), but some of it is mechanics. They need to figure out if they can fix that with him, and they need to do it quickly. His balls have ALWAYS sailed on anything attempted over 15 yards. Until he can throw down field more accurately, he is going to have issues, regardless of if he is under center or in the shotgun. Defenses need to be kept honest, and he isn't making them do so.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From what I've read this is shaping up to be more of 2010 draft class than a 2012 one.

Yeah I have hardly looked that the QB's in this draft class. At the start of the year I didn't think I was going to have to. :bawling:

The Vikes can't sit on their hands with the way Teddy has looked lately. Obviously you can't force the issue too much in the draft and take a 3rd round prospect in the 1st (been there done that...Ponder). But they need to start looking for a QB of the future if their current QB of the future doesn't pan out. The whole idea that a team has to wait 3 years to draft another young QB is stupid anyway. A team can't have too many good QB's.

In the past 4 weeks I bet Teddy hasn't completed more than 5 passes the entire time that traveled over 15 yards. All his stats are just check downs. You can't survive in the NFL like that.

I am really hoping Norv Turner hangs it up after this year. He just hasn't gotten through to Teddy. Teddy is worse now with coaching than he was last year with less of it. Just doesn't have the smarts to know where his open WR is going to be so he has to wait to see an open WR. And waiting to see an open guy is death in the NFL. QB's have to anticipate that and know where they are going with the football.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The one thing I noticed from Teddy was he was throwing from a really low arm slot. I don't recall seeing that in the past. A lot of 3/4 arm slot throws with very little mustard on them. He's never had a really strong arm so mechanics are going to be really important for him.

I don't think you should give up on Teddy yet. But he definitely is not ready to carry the team but few QBs in their 2nd season can do that.