• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

It looks like the Vikings need to decide who they want to keep Peterson or Bridgewater

Who should the Vikings keep?

• Peterson

Votes: 8 40.0%
  • Bridgewater

Votes: 12 60.0%

• Total voters

Blaise Winter

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This. I think the more important point is the growing number of QBs coming out of college from these Spread offenses that haven't been developed under center. Bridgewater isn't the only one. Kaepernick and Wilson come to mind.

Wilson?? Who played pro-set behind an NFL line at a program that emphasizes the hand-off??? Did you just throw him in there because he's "a running quarterback?"

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This. I think the more important point is the growing number of QBs coming out of college from these Spread offenses that haven't been developed under center. Bridgewater isn't the only one. Kaepernick and Wilson come to mind. Even from my own team, Golson, Zaire and Kizer are all very rarely under center. It's disgusting, though I suppose we might also have to account for the time a QB has in the pocket to take, 3, 5 or even 7 step drops from under center versus the rush of today's defenses versus say, the 80s and 90s with the likes of Montana or Young from the West Coast offenses, which I think is where these spread offenses have their origins. Do they have the same amount of time to read the field as those QBs of yore did? I'm seeing a lot of talk these days about the ball being out within 2 seconds, that seems hardly enough time to read much past the first option, especially considering the depth of a route. While that may not be the actual norm, it does seem as though the time-to-read has been shortened somewhat, unless the O-line is very good or the Defense isn't blitzing.

Bridgewater played his college ball in a West Coast pro style offense and took most his snaps there from under center.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you absolutely are making a decision between the QB or the RB, then it's not even a close call. ADP, while great, has maybe 2 years left in him at most. TB has a ton of years left, and if develops, you get a better return on your long-term investment. Got to remember that this is only year 2, and growing pains are going to happen. Too many people expect QB's to come in right away and just light things up. It often, does not work that way. When it does, it's because the entire team around that QB has been set up before hand, or they just get really, really lucky.

Taking another QB just to keep ADP for 2 more years doesn't make any sense, especially when you consider that the QB taken could end up being worse, or just the same as TB. You never really know, and the Vikings are nowhere near low enough to nab a franchise QB this year, so that pretty much rules that out anyway.

For the time being, you use the offense to the best of its ability, which appears to be TB under center for most of the plays, with ADP, and using shotgun in situations that call for it, or when you are looking to switch things up.