• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Israel Idonije scheduled to visit Halas Hall

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the pick up. It gives depth to the Bears D line, which they desperately need.

It gives us depth and experience, and one of the most stand up guys in any clubhouse to make these kids they are signing and will be drafting become professionals.

Izzy was at the polar plunge, still has his charities in chicago, and probably knows the kid Young we signed from the Lions from last year.

Great choice by Emery, off the field and practice field win for sure.

nebearsfan70

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It gives us depth and experience, and one of the most stand up guys in any clubhouse to make these kids they are signing and will be drafting become professionals.

Izzy was at the polar plunge, still has his charities in chicago, and probably knows the kid Young we signed from the Lions from last year.

:suds:

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Agreed on all counts. Good call on the Willie Young thing as well.

63bears40

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Take it easy... This isn't needed: apparantly you don't understand FA well? come on man...
You are correct Wootton is young, you are not correct about the serious injury thing- he's still rehabbing a hip surgery & he has had knee problems since college. As to why Wootton remains unsigned, there are some concerns surrounding his health, Wootton had to have surgery on his right hip in January.

I just don't see any teams out there that are going to spend $4 million this late in FA on an unproven player. Most teams have already spent their bigger money contracts in the first 2 days of FA. It's been over a week and NOBODY has called for CW, Doesn't that tell you something? I like Corey and I want him back with the Bears- One year Vet Min...that's my offer. (and what he's going to take.) Cheers
Go Bears!

Just to add. Wooton isn't ready to take a physical yet. Which is why he can not sell his services.
But a team w/cap space , say Oakland might give him a look when he can.

nebearsfan70

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm really excited about the Bears' season. I think/hope the DLine has been upgraded significantly... At least on paper. If their offense performs like it did last season (I really think they should play better), the Bears can make a serious run for NFCN.

Maybe I'm a homer but I can't wait until the season starts.

63bears40

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm really excited about the Bears' season. I think/hope the DLine has been upgraded significantly... At least on paper. If their offense performs like it did last season (I really think they should play better), the Bears can make a serious run for NFCN.

C'mon Devil Dog , it's a little early to get excited about the season. Shit , we still got the draft, mini camps, & preseason. All the good shit that leads up to the season. :suds:
Agree the O should move from 8th to a top 3-5. But I'm more curious how our D will perform. Haven't said that , I think ever.

Last edited by a moderator:

leomaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
absolutely agree 100%.....

I agree 100% I miss the tailgating. The speculation of the coming games.....if you arent excited about Chicago Bears football you may he dead......it would be awesome if somehow we could get a group of the posters here to go to a game and enjoy a few beers at a tailgate party....Bring on the season...

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

To me, the season will hinge upon what we do in the draft. While I agree we got better, I'm not sure it was because of Houston and Young, but more so because we're bringing back a host of injured starters from last season. Tillman, Briggs, Williams, Collins and Ratliff gets a full pre season. That alone will make us better. Now toss in Houston and Young, which I think will out perform Peppers/McClellin/Bass.

The key to me is the 3 tech. Draft the right 3-tech guy and we're golden. Then draft a safety and a CB if we are lucky a MLB.

C

cubzzzfanincali

not really sure if we are "better" or not. Better than what? End of last season...well, yeah, sure. Better than start of last season? Not sure about that at all. This defense currently has the exact same problems as last year's roster, which starts off with a defensive line that is too thin in depth that will struggle when inevitable injuries hit. We have a gaping hole at strongside LB, and Tillman is a year older. How this translates into "better", I don't yet see. If we get some hits in the draft, then, yes, that will help a lot. But that has to actually happen first.

nebearsfan70

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
C'mon Devil Dog , it's a little early to get excited about the season. Shit , we still got the draft, mini camps, & preseason. All the good shit that leads up to the season. :suds:
Agree the O should move from 8th to a top 3-5. But I'm more curious how our D will perform. Haven't said that , I think ever.

I know man, but throw a dog a bone and I will be happy for weeks.

nebearsfan70

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To me, the season will hinge upon what we do in the draft. While I agree we got better, I'm not sure it was because of Houston and Young, but more so because we're bringing back a host of injured starters from last season. Tillman, Briggs, Williams, Collins and Ratliff gets a full pre season. That alone will make us better. Now toss in Houston and Young, which I think will out perform Peppers/McClellin/Bass.

The key to me is the 3 tech. Draft the right 3-tech guy and we're golden. Then draft a safety and a CB if we are lucky a MLB.

I totally agree. The Bears still have gaps in the D backfield, LB, and they desperately need an interior lineman. But... I'm still pumped. I mean if the Bears had any D last season they could have 3-4 more wins and changed the complexity of the offseason. So yeah, I'm excited.

nebearsfan70

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
not really sure if we are "better" or not. Better than what? End of last season...well, yeah, sure. Better than start of last season? Not sure about that at all. This defense currently has the exact same problems as last year's roster, which starts off with a defensive line that is too thin in depth that will struggle when inevitable injuries hit. We have a gaping hole at strongside LB, and Tillman is a year older. How this translates into "better", I don't yet see. If we get some hits in the draft, then, yes, that will help a lot. But that has to actually happen first.

All I can say is that compared to the end of last season, the Bears have upgraded their DLine (on paper). Of course there are many confounding variables that will affect the outcome of play, but I am an optimist.

C

cubzzzfanincali

What do you consider the "right" type of 3-tech guy? Are you rooting for a gap shooting under-aligned 3-tech or a run-blocking 3-tech lined either over or under?

I've been thinking this over myself, I'm pretty sure one of the reasons the Bears didn't even bother talking very much to Melton (according to Melton himself, the Bears were out of the running pretty early on) is because they don't really need a gap shooter as much anymore now that they don't play so much Tampa 2. Especially after the way last season went, and it looks like most of the guys they have signed so far are stronger run blockers than pass rushers. On the other hand, just for flexibility maybe that's exactly why they WOULD want a gap shooter. But then that doesn't explain the Melton treatment.

Where this matters I think comes down to drafting Jernigan. It's my understanding that he's more ideal to be sliding into the backfield. He's quite possibly going to be there at #14, since I tend to think the Bears will be the first DT needy team drafting (at least who doesn't have a higher need like NYG). If Emery has decided they can use an over-aligned tackle, he may pass over Jernigan. Better, since Jernigan is probably the best inside rusher in the draft, one of the other teams may be willing to trade up, which I would love to see. I'm not against taking a safety late in the first round but I will go positively apeshit if we use a #14 on a safety. But taking a late-first safety and then having another 2nd/3rd to draft a more run-of-the-mill 3-tech is just fine by me.

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
some mock drafts have Jernigan and Nix dropped to the Patriots at 29 and the cowboys taking Donald at 16 as the top havoc wreaking tackle in the draft. Are you saying to trade down and pick up an extra second rounder? I dont know if Emery can make that gamble.

I dont know, if Gilbert falls to 14 I think we need to take him for CB and returns. Dennard is there, but I think if you want a CB that high you better get a big physical one. I think they made enough signings to target DE, DT and CB and still have made a decent pick, but DT is definitely top priority.

C

cubzzzfanincali

some mock drafts have Jernigan and Nix dropped to the Patriots at 29 and the cowboys taking Donald at 16 as the top havoc wreaking tackle in the draft. Are you saying to trade down and pick up an extra second rounder? I dont know if Emery can make that gamble.

I dont know, if Gilbert falls to 14 I think we need to take him for CB and returns. Dennard is there, but I think if you want a CB that high you better get a big physical one. I think they made enough signings to target DE, DT and CB and still have made a decent pick, but DT is definitely top priority.

I'm not against taking a CB at 14. Really, I'm not. Nor am I necessarily against taking Donald or Nix, if that's what Emery wants to do. We don't have to trade down. But - all things being equal - if we get a good offer to trade down, I'd hope he takes it. Teams that are deep and only have a few holes can afford fewer, higher picks. Teams that are thin and have had years of relatively bad drafts need to do the opposite. Which type of team do you think the Bears are?

If you are drafting at 14, as a general rule, unless the guy looks to have serious potential to be a perennial DPOY candidate, you don't draft the lower value positions that high. (Yes, there are always exceptions). This works out great if your roster's positions of need coincide with the high-value positions (D line and CB, OLB in 3-4). But the Bears have needs all over the defensive map. In theory, we would certainly benefit if the draft could produce a CB, a safety, a strongside LB, a DT, and a DE. We could use solid guys at any of those. Since we have so many positions of need, I'd rather the Bears had more picks even if a little later, because then they could "afford" to be a little more purely BPA, then if they draft at # 14, where they will basically have to spend it on the key spots.

Of course, if Emery doesn't get a fair trade-down offer, then go ahead and use that #14 on your super high end guy. Whether that's a CB or D Lineman, I sort of don't care, they just use later picks on the other. As long as they don't squander that 14. But I would rather they trade down, pick up another high pick, and increase our chances of finding 5 guys for 5 spots where we need them all across the defense.

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What do you consider the "right" type of 3-tech guy? Are you rooting for a gap shooting under-aligned 3-tech or a run-blocking 3-tech lined either over or under?

My take, this is a pass happy league, we didn't run a lot of Tampa 2 due to many reasons not the least of which we had lost EVERYONE up the middle. Both 3 tech tackles, Paea our only NT in and out with turf toe all season, Ratliff not until late, Wooton playing out of position to compensate, no Briggs for a chunk of the season, no Williams from almost the start, Bostic/Green put into a bad situation with zero help in front of them. And we had a terrible DE "Can't stop the run McClellin" starting in place of Wooten.

My guess is, the Bears need a gap shooter like Donald. There are others to take later which is why a lot of guys think trading down is the best bet. Jernigan from what I'm reading is more of a NT in the NFL and if I had to choose would rather take Nix if his knee is ok. If he isn't there, then hopefully one of the top rated CB's is there or a LB. Just really depends on how many QB's are taken a head of us. Also, the Bears could choose to punish a few teams if Evens or that TE are there at our pick.

Of course with the Long pick coming out of the blue, no clue what Emery will actually do.

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know F/A has helped fill some holes, but we really do have a lot of holes yet to fill. DT and Safety are two critical ones... Less so would be LB, more specifically a MLB if Shea doesn't pan out, heck even if he does and a young CB with a huge upside to train in with the vets. Technically, now that Tillman is back in the fold our starting two are set, but kids need leadership most times and a chance to settle into the game speed of the NFL.

C

cubzzzfanincali

My guess is, the Bears need a gap shooter like Donald. There are others to take later which is why a lot of guys think trading down is the best bet. Jernigan from what I'm reading is more of a NT in the NFL and if I had to choose would rather take Nix if his knee is ok. If he isn't there...

Jernigan is NOT an NT. I don't know where you read that, but it's quite wrong. He's definitely the 4-3 undertackle you want if the reports on him are right. He's bigger than Melton, sure, but remember that Melton was small under and he was only able to get away with that because he was so quick. Donald could be good too. And I doubt "if he isn't there" will apply...unless of course someone trades up to grab him. I just don't see the teams ahead of us in the draft taking him.

... no clue what Emery will actually do.

Yup.