• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Israel Idonije scheduled to visit Halas Hall

nebearsfan70

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
...Tuesday. He is also scheduled to take a physical.

What do you guys think?

C

cubzzzfanincali

presumably he'd get a vet minimum contract, in which case, why not? I'm not expecting much, but it can't hurt.

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes! He can bring his 11 tackles and 1/2 a sack! While working with the most dominate DT combo in the NFL. (That was sarcasm in case you guys didn't know)
Ok... that's mean- I liked Izzy- Great guy, it was time to move on.
I would almost want Wootton back (younger) before Izzy. Depending on his injury rehab.
as much as we need more DE depth, not sure he's the guy. Just my 2 cents.

C

cubzzzfanincali

Yes! He can bring his 11 tackles and 1/2 a sack! While working with the most dominate DT combo in the NFL. (That was sarcasm in case you guys didn't know)
Ok... that's mean- I liked Izzy- Great guy, it was time to move on.
I would almost want Wootton back (younger) before Izzy. Depending on his injury rehab.
as much as we need more DE depth, not sure he's the guy. Just my 2 cents.

We don't have the money for Wootten, who will probably sign somewhere for $4 million or so a year, whereas Idonije will be cheap like we need. Not saying he has to make the roster, but like it or not, at this point, it's vet minimums that will give the team it's depth, so we may as well get a bunch of guys lined up for camp.

nebearsfan70

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We don't have the money for Wootten, who will probably sign somewhere for $4 million or so a year, whereas Idonije will be cheap like we need. Not saying he has to make the roster, but like it or not, at this point, it's vet minimums that will give the team it's depth, so we may as well get a bunch of guys lined up for camp.

I like the possibility of Isreal coming back, and I like the moves the Bears have made thus far in FA. Improvement on the DLine will make the team more competitive, and give the O a chance to win games.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
serviceable depth, that can play inside or out.

nebearsfan70

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
serviceable depth, that can play inside or out.

Exactly.

On a tangential note, I'm not concerned about his stats from last season. Different system, different personnel, different coaching... Sometimes this results in decreased performance. I just hope this is not the case in Chicago.

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

1. There is NO WAY Wootten costs that much. I haven't heard or seen his name since FA started. He's a fringe/ depth player who just had hip surgery. Betting it's a 1M prove it year- and he won't sign with another team until mid summer (unless bears bring him back sooner)

2. Fans have said that THE Defense sucks! all season, and it truly did. SUCKED! But now everyone seems to think to get better we need to resign our aging crappy players that were part of the suckage, instead of new younger blood. No thanks to Idonije He was a good guy- decent player.

C

cubzzzfanincali

apparantly you don't understand free agency very well. Wootton is young, he doesn't have a serious injury issue, and he is a solid if unremarkable player at a crucial, expensive position with no other free agents available. If Red Bryant got about $5 million a year, and he's about the same value, Antonio Smith got $5 million, and Tyson Jackson (who is worse than Wootton in run defense and about the same pass rush) got $5 million, there is no way that the last solid DE left on the market (who is debatably better than those guys) won't get at least $4 million. If anything, that number is low. That's probably just the price he may have been willing to give to the Bears.

Watch.

C

cubzzzfanincali

here's a list of teams that need DEs pretty badly:

Houston
Oakland
Minnesota
Tennessee
NY Giants
Pittsburgh
Dallas
Baltimore
Cincinnati

Of that list, while Dallas probably needs a DE the most badly, and Cincinnati is in a pretty bad way, I don't see how anyone can outbid Oakland. They are sitting on huge piles of cap room space.

Rocinante

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know Izzy's stats weren't great, but he did have 24 QB hurries last year according to PFF. In comparison Peppers had 27. Between Willie Young, Houston and Izzy we will be the All-Hurry team. Pleny of hurries, not many sacks.

I also don't think Wooten is getting 4M+ at this point of free agency. If I'm wrong then I'll owe you a coke Cubzzz

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I kind of think we all saw this one coming at some point or another.

Solid move. Adds depth to the DT spot. Another vet with a good motor to set an example for the younger guys.

63bears40

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To me Izzy & Wooton are the same type of player . Wooton being younger would be my choice.
Loved Izzy when he was a Bear. Just think if there's no way we can sign Wooton. Izzy would be welcomed @ the vet min.

Peter Gozintite

NO!...but yes.
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 103,499.99
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Idonije doesnt get a ton of sacks, but he occupies at least on body, and is better in the run stop. depth and a reliable guy to do his job.

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
apparantly you don't understand free agency very well. Wootton is young, he doesn't have a serious injury issue, and he is a solid if unremarkable player at a crucial, expensive position with no other free agents available. If Red Bryant got about $5 million a year, and he's about the same value, Antonio Smith got $5 million, and Tyson Jackson (who is worse than Wootton in run defense and about the same pass rush) got $5 million, there is no way that the last solid DE left on the market (who is debatably better than those guys) won't get at least $4 million. If anything, that number is low. That's probably just the price he may have been willing to give to the Bears.

Watch.
Take it easy... This isn't needed: apparantly you don't understand FA well? come on man...
You are correct Wootton is young, you are not correct about the serious injury thing- he's still rehabbing a hip surgery & he has had knee problems since college. As to why Wootton remains unsigned, there are some concerns surrounding his health, Wootton had to have surgery on his right hip in January.

I just don't see any teams out there that are going to spend $4 million this late in FA on an unproven player. Most teams have already spent their bigger money contracts in the first 2 days of FA. It's been over a week and NOBODY has called for CW, Doesn't that tell you something? I like Corey and I want him back with the Bears- One year Vet Min...that's my offer. (and what he's going to take.) Cheers
Go Bears!

C

cubzzzfanincali

Take it easy... This isn't needed: apparantly you don't understand FA well? come on man...
You are correct Wootton is young, you are not correct about the serious injury thing- he's still rehabbing a hip surgery & he has had knee problems since college. As to why Wootton remains unsigned, there are some concerns surrounding his health, Wootton had to have surgery on his right hip in January.

I just don't see any teams out there that are going to spend $4 million this late in FA on an unproven player. Most teams have already spent their bigger money contracts in the first 2 days of FA. It's been over a week and NOBODY has called for CW, Doesn't that tell you something? I like Corey and I want him back with the Bears- One year Vet Min...that's my offer. (and what he's going to take.) Cheers
Go Bears!

OK, sorry if I worded that badly. His hip thing isn't considered that serious (though he might disagree since he had to go through the surgery!) from the standpoint of affecting his future playing career. Just because there aren't stories about him in the media doesn't mean no one has called. That's absurd. Personnel people talk to the agents of everyone out there all the time and it isn't in the news. So, no, that doesn't tell me anything.

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK, sorry if I worded that badly. His hip thing isn't considered that serious (though he might disagree since he had to go through the surgery!) from the standpoint of affecting his future playing career. Just because there aren't stories about him in the media doesn't mean no one has called. That's absurd. Personnel people talk to the agents of everyone out there all the time and it isn't in the news. So, no, that doesn't tell me anything.
No worries Bud. Go Bears!

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Izzy just resigned with Bears! Just heard it on the Score. Need confirmation. No word on $.