• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Isn't the NBA better overall - Right now?

HurricaneDij39

The Middle of Everywhere: NWI
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Parity.

This was what I was in favor of all along.

During my earlier years here at SportsHoopla, the Lakers and Heat fans would have said that I was just a bitter fan of an inferior team. The same old cliche.

As it stand today, my teams aren't any better. If anything, they're worse. But overall, I'm much happier for the direction the league is headed in general than I was three years ago at this time.

We don't have the sexy headlines we had three or four years ago at this time. I, however, find the game of basketball more entertaining when it isn't so predictable. It just seemed like back then one's thread topic had to be Heat/Laker related to achieve any sort of notoriety.

Market size won't guarantee you success in today's NBA, and the league is in good hands going forward under Adam Silver.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure it will. The big market teams still have the most money to attract the better players.
not really- not when you can only offer the very same amounts.

Why do you think your Bucks were able to bring in Greg Monroe? the Knicks and the Lakers are OBVIOUSLY in bigger markets- but the Bucks got him- because he wanted to have a chance to win.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The league is definitely more balanced, but to say it isn't predictable is still inaccurate at best. The top 3 teams in the league right now are Golden St., San Antonio, and Cleveland. This was predicted at the beginning of the year, and is staying true. Also, you can't argue parity when Golden St. is currently 28-1. They're not overflowing with talent like Cleveland - they're just really balanced (although Curry's a super start) and play in a great coached system.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why do you think your Bucks were able to bring in Greg Monroe? the Knicks and the Lakers are OBVIOUSLY in bigger markets- but the Bucks got him- because he wanted to have a chance to win.
I'm a Mavericks fan.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
not really- not when you can only offer the very same amounts.

Yes and no. Because of the internet, 24/7 access, ease of travel, etc. Being in a bigger market no longer has the advantages it once did, but there are still advantages. All things being equal or close to it, a free agent is more likely to choose the bigger market team. But, if there appears to be a better chance to win sooner, with the smaller market team, the player will likely choose that team.

For example, I'd say that it's a pretty safe bet that if the Lakers or Knicks looked like they had at least close to the same chance to win as the Bucks, that's who Monroe would have signed with. But since both teams looked to be at least a couple of seasons away from that, he chose the Bucks.

YourFriendGannon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The rules affecting NBA competitive balance have been better period since the current CBA began. It just took Silver's arrival, Lebron leaving Miami, and the Nets fledgling before many people caught on. Big spending large market teams loading up on the best free agents is something that just hasn't played out much the last 5 free agency cycles. Look at Dallas's past 5 offseasons. No guarantees.

There will always be the problem of star players being too much of an advantage as seen now with Warriors, so getting rid of or tweaking max contract rules is still an idea worth considering.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
80s is and likely will always be top dog but its better than the 90s up until the mid-00s. If Jordan never came along or was just a star instead of a god, people would not look fondly upon the 90s. A wave of expansion and draft flameouts (injuries to good players like Hill, Penny; draft busts, etc) drained the talent pool and you were left with a lot of bad basketball teams. The league had 29 to 30 teams (depending on the year you pick) but barely half were watchable. But somewhere along 06 to 08, the talent pool built itself back up to go along with newer CBA rules. Now that number is up to 23 to 25 watchable teams out of 30. That doesn't mean 25 teams can win a title. What I'm saying is I can put on two sub .500 teams right now and chances are I'm going to see some good play. I'm not changing the channel. That wasn't so 10 years or more ago.

RobToxin

Roid Raging
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.08
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Parity is good but too much parity is not good for the product.

Just look at the NFL.

There are going to be some bad football teams in the playoffs in a couple weeks.

That's what too much parity gets you.

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Lebron, Timmy, and Durant are amongst the handful of favorites to win it all??

We never would have seen that just 2 or 3 years ago....

Glad to know a bunch of new faces are legitimate contenders.

So much has changed since 2012.

lebron23james

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The cavs GS finals was the most watched series in nba history....

Parity rules...see NFL

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The cavs GS finals was the most watched series in nba history....

Parity rules...see NFL

Should be a great rematch, I hope both teams are healthy this time.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Lost in the ABYSS that is Islanders Hockey.
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The NBA now isn't even remotely close to what it was in the 80's & early 90's. Every team in the league during that time had a star player. Somebody their fans could be excited about. That isn't the case in todays NBA. Back then guys would come out of college knowing the fundamentals. Now guys get away with palming the ball every time the dibble the ball. They get away with travelling to. The game has changed, not for the better.

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 141,750.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The NBA now isn't even remotely close to what it was in the 80's & early 90's. Every team in the league during that time had a star player. Somebody their fans could be excited about. That isn't the case in todays NBA. Back then guys would come out of college knowing the fundamentals. Now guys get away with palming the ball every time the dibble the ball. They get away with travelling to. The game has changed, not for the better.

Agreed. The palming the ball thing is truly laughable, almost every player does it on almost every dribble.

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NBA = kaka