• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Mental Health and the NBA

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There’s no question the sixers didn’t support him

They lied to him

Slandered him

And bullied him

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol

Sixers fans...Mental health issues are a real thing and should be taken seriously.

Also Sixers fans...Ben Simmons is full of shit and having a pity party.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol

Sixers fans...Mental health issues are a real thing and should be taken seriously.

Also Sixers fans...Ben Simmons is full of shit and having a pity party.

He said nothing about mental health issues until he stopped getting paid. When his teammates flew out to him in California to talk to him, he told them all to turn around and go home without meeting them.

And now he's going on a self pity tour portraying himself as the victim?

You think that sounds like someone dealing with mental health issues? Or is it someone trying to avoid taking any responsibility?

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He said nothing about mental health issues until he stopped getting paid. When his teammates flew out to him in California to talk to him, he told them all to turn around and go home without meeting them.

And now he's going on a self pity tour portraying himself as the victim?

You think that sounds like someone dealing with mental health issues? Or is it someone trying to avoid taking any responsibility?

This is what I just don’t get.

Why do people assume he should have publicly disclosed his mental health problems?

Why?

Like if any adult in the real world is seeing somebody for help, they are not required to disclose it to their employer and they definitely aren’t making it public consumption.

Such a silly assertion that:

“Because Ben didn’t say anything before Philly tried to dock his pay, it proves he is full of crap”.

No, it doesn’t.

He was forced to go public when Philly tried to dock his pay.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is what I just don’t get.

Why do people assume he should have publicly disclosed his mental health problems?

Why?

Like if any adult in the real world is seeing somebody for help, they are not required to disclose it to their employer and they definitely aren’t making it public consumption.

Such a silly assertion that:

“Because Ben didn’t say anything before Philly tried to dock his pay, it proves he is full of crap”.

No, it doesn’t.

He was forced to go public when Philly tried to dock his pay.

I don't think he had to publicly disclose his mental health issues.
I don't think he had to publicly demand to be traded.
I don't think he had to publicly disclose that he would never play for the Sixers again.

He wasn't forced to go public when Philly decided to dock his pay. He chose to do that.

Just like he chose to come to practice and be so disruptive that Rivers told him to go home.

He chose his path.

As for this specific comment...

You are not required to inform your employer of your mental health state. However, if you refuse to come to work and don't give a reason or give some other reason, then your employer is not obligated to pay you.

First Simmons demanded to be traded.

The Sixers tried but the market for Simmons was rock bottom.

Then he refused to come to camp...

Once he realized he wasn't going to get paid he decided to show up..

He refused to participate. Was told to go home. Claimed a physical injury that was dismissed by the team and THEN said he was dealing with mental health issues.

And to this day he STILL takes not accountability for his actions. Instead it is all the fault of the team, Doc Rivers and Embiid. If you think that is someone dealing with their mental health issues, I don't know what to say.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saw this article and thought it was pretty good...

I love Husky Grant, first of all. He has always been gregarious, and it seems like he has found his perfect niche in the league.

Second of all: great topic. Imagine being 19 or 20 years old, and getting drafted into the NBA:
  • You have lots of money
    • Maybe you have family to take care of?
  • You gotta live in a new place (almost certainly)
    • Meaning basically total change-out in peer group
  • Adult stuff such as finding new place to live, new car, etc
  • You gotta be a professionalnow
    • Strict routine in season, need to diet, etc
    • You have to perform and live up
    • You're no longer the best player on the court just by showing up (as has been the case the rest of your life)
  • Temptation to be young and live the great life must be hard to wrestle with
^ And you got all of this on your plate all at once.

It's a lot... I don't know if I could have dealt with it well when I was 19.

Sh!t... I get down on myself and lose confidence if I miss a few shots in a pick-up game. And I was always shy around girls... but if I had some fame and money and they were throwing themselves at me... sh!t.

Anyway: good article... give it a read if you have the time.
Adam Silver's entire family suffers from schizophrenia. He's a bitch and it infects the entire league.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think he had to publicly disclose his mental health issues.
I don't think he had to publicly demand to be traded.
I don't think he had to publicly disclose that he would never play for the Sixers again.

He wasn't forced to go public when Philly decided to dock his pay. He chose to do that.

Just like he chose to come to practice and be so disruptive that Rivers told him to go home.

He chose his path.

As for this specific comment...

You are not required to inform your employer of your mental health state. However, if you refuse to come to work and don't give a reason or give some other reason, then your employer is not obligated to pay you.

First Simmons demanded to be traded.

The Sixers tried but the market for Simmons was rock bottom.

Then he refused to come to camp...

Once he realized he wasn't going to get paid he decided to show up..

He refused to participate. Was told to go home. Claimed a physical injury that was dismissed by the team and THEN said he was dealing with mental health issues.

And to this day he STILL takes not accountability for his actions. Instead it is all the fault of the team, Doc Rivers and Embiid. If you think that is someone dealing with their mental health issues, I don't know what to say.

See, that is extremely 1 sided though

Joel Embiid didn’t HAVE to throw Simmons under the bus blaming him after game 7.
Doc Rivers didn’t have to publicly question whether the team could win with Simmons
The fan base didn’t have to call for him to be traded (or murdered as 1 poster did here)

But those things all happened well before any of the drama from the summer.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Joel Embiid didn’t HAVE to throw Simmons under the bus blaming him after game 7.
Doc Rivers didn’t have to publicly question whether the team could win with Simmons
The fan base didn’t have to call for him to be traded (or murdered as 1 poster did here)

You're being one sided the other way.

Simmons deserves most of the shit he's getting.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're being one sided the other way.

Simmons deserves most of the shit he's getting.

My comment here was that they quit on each other.

And you continue to ignore Philly’s role in the divorce.

That is 1 sided.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My comment here was that they quit on each other.

And you continue to ignore Philly’s role in the divorce.

That is 1 sided.
Philly deserves some blame. It's not 50/50.

Simmons is who he is, and that's a headcase.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Philly deserves some blame. It's not 50/50.

Simmons is who he is, and that's a headcase.

You’re right the team that overreacted when another player also passed up a dunk off the pass, and missed a ft

Tries to blame the player

Throw him under the bus multiple times

Lied to him

Antagonized him

Wanted an inperson meeting that became an ambush instead of an olive branch

And then illegally withheld his money before he had to show up

Questioned his mental health claims despite another doctor signing off on them

But yeah, let’s throw it all on Simmons

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You’re right the team that overreacted when another player also passed up a dunk off the pass, and missed a ft

Lied to him

Antagonized him

Simmons should have been loudly killed. You have no idea what you're talking about on this one.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Lied to him

Antagonized him

Yes we know, you and tlance are Team Simmons. No one threw it all on him. But you refuse to put any on him. He's a headcase.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm not talking about whether Simmons was wrong for demanding a trade from the team or not. That's an entirely different discussion. And I really don't care that much one way or the other. He's not on the team anymore and we got a quality player in return for him.

I'm talking about his decision to claim that he was dealing with mental health issues which is why he couldn't play. IMO, that was an extremely cynical move by Simmons who used that as an excuse to keep getting paid. And now he's going around trying to portray himself as a victim who was looking for help and rebuffed by the team, coach and key players. That's complete bullshit.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly.

He is a headcase.

Nowhere did I say that the Sixers or Doc or Embiid were blameless.

But ultimately I don't really care about blame at this point. He's not my team's problem anymore.

FTR, being a head case is not the same as someone dealing with mental health issues. Dennis Rodman is a head case. But I daresay he feels like he's always felt he's living his best life.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not talking about whether Simmons was wrong for demanding a trade from the team or not. That's an entirely different discussion. And I really don't care that much one way or the other. He's not on the team anymore and we got a quality player in return for him.

I'm talking about his decision to claim that he was dealing with mental health issues which is why he couldn't play. IMO, that was an extremely cynical move by Simmons who used that as an excuse to keep getting paid. And now he's going around trying to portray himself as a victim who was looking for help and rebuffed by the team, coach and key players. That's complete bullshit.

Assuming he made it up.

You don’t know that

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Assuming he made it up.

You don’t know that

Yes. That's what IMO means. In my opinion.

You want to take everything he says at face value? Knock yourself out. For me, his behavior defies credulity and seemed completely cynical.

FTR, I also don't think he gives a shit about playing basketball. I think he's like his paychecks and being famous.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes. That's what IMO means. In my opinion.

You want to take everything he says at face value? Knock yourself out. For me, his behavior defies credulity and seemed completely cynical.

FTR, I also don't think he gives a shit about playing basketball. I think he's like his paychecks and being famous.

I have never once said I take his claims at face value.

What I have said is that his play prior to the drama sure looked like someone potentially struggling with mental issues, if not serious anxiety or something else.

What I have always said is that it is very plausible that he could be telling the truth about the mental health.

Also possible that he isn’t.

But it is 100% wrong to assume that he is lying.