• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Isaiah Thomas: says taking so much blame 'not fair'

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cavs' Thomas: I'm shouldering too much blame

INDEPENDENCE, Ohio -- Speaking to reporters for the first time in a week -- which spanned an explosive team meeting, a lopsided loss to the San Antonio Spurs, an underwhelming win over the Indiana Pacers that included a questionable exchange with Kevin Love and an 8-for-22 personal shooting total -- Isaiah Thomas explained himself: He says he is shouldering an undue amount of blame for the Cleveland Cavaliers' struggles.

"We've been a lowest five [rated] defensive team in the NBA the whole time [this season]," Thomas said after practice Saturday. "So when I come back, it's my fault now. Which, life isn't fair, but that's not fair, bro. At all. I just laugh at those things because I know in this circle and this team, everybody believes in each other, and everybody's in here for it to work and for us to be playing in June. That's the ultimate goal."

If he is to be believed, and everyone on the team believes in one another, that would include Thomas and Love.

Thomas said the various reports detailing Monday's team meeting as having been instigated in part by him criticizing Love for missing most of Cleveland's 148-124 blowout loss to the Oklahoma City Thunder with an illness, and then exiting the arena early and missing practice the following day, were inaccurate.

"To be real, I didn't call him out," Thomas said of Love. "I asked him why wasn't he at the game during the game supporting his teammates. And then after the game, I didn't [get to] ask him because he wasn't there. So I was seeing where he was. So I didn't call him out any. So those reports that whoever is saying that, there's no bad blood between me and him. We go back to fifth and sixth grade [as AAU teammates]. I asked him a question where he was, and it was never clarified. And that's all it was. ...

"Whoever reported that it was, and we was bashing Kevin Love, there was nothing to bash him about. We just wanted to know where he was and why he didn't play."

Thomas said the meeting didn't address the more important issues facing the Cavaliers.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What's going on with the Cavs? This isn't a team or at least certainly doesn't sound like one to me

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
maybe I'm just annoyed with my cable and waiting for it to refresh so I see this as a bad thing for the Cavs

But yes IT shouldn't take much of the blame... Just seems like you hear more and more negativity coming out of Cleveland lately.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,296.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LMAO

What a fucking prima donna.

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guys like IT and Crowder are intense dudes, chip on their shoulder types... you have to think there is somewhat of a culture clash when they go to an environment like Cleveland, where taking stretches of the regular season off and 'flipping the switch' is the norm.

Ickey Shuffle

Do you have a minute to talk about Joe Burrow?
Supporting Member Level 1
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When IT is at the top of his game, he's an MVP candidate. He's not even 75% healthy yet, let alone 100%. People need to get off his back. This situation is toxic.

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, the Cavs are having a disappointing season (For them) thus far. Got to wonder if they can pick it up in time for the playoffs or not.

LAD

GSAD - formally known as LAD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly, who is he to question Love? Furthermore, the problem is he doesn't even realize that really wasn't even his business. He might want to concentrate more on why he isn't 100% yet, despite being cleared to come back over a month ago. Sounds like he got more important things to do rather than wonder where Love is. SMH

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When IT is at the top of his game, he's an MVP candidate. He's not even 75% healthy yet, let alone 100%. People need to get off his back. This situation is toxic.

Meh. IT is fool's gold, gives up as much defensively as he brings offensively. Then he has the balls to blame Love, who's playing out of position and forced to try to cover up all of IT's missed defensive responsibilities as the rim defender?

That looming extension will have IT out of Cleveland this summer.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meh. IT is fool's gold, gives up as much defensively as he brings offensively. Then he has the balls to blame Love, who's playing out of position and forced to try to cover up all of IT's missed defensive responsibilities as the rim defender?

That looming extension will have IT out of Cleveland this summer.

Agree. IT is really good and a lot of fun to watch. But his defensive shortcomings are just too much. The Celtics could make it work because, defensively, they are good enough overall to make up for it. The Cavs don't have that kind of defense.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree. IT is really good and a lot of fun to watch. But his defensive shortcomings are just too much. The Celtics could make it work because, defensively, they are good enough overall to make up for it. The Cavs don't have that kind of defense.

IT may be the type of player that needs to be in a near perfect environment to excel. Last year he had that in Boston. Time will tell as he gets stronger, but early returns are not looking good. And he needs to go out of his way to get Love more involved.

larryjohn

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IT may be the type of player that needs to be in a near perfect environment to excel. Last year he had that in Boston. Time will tell as he gets stronger, but early returns are not looking good. And he needs to go out of his way to get Love more involved.

IT is a horrible defensive player. (... including tonight's game) Brad Stevens was a terrific coach to cover up for IT on the D end. It is brutal this year since IT isn't making the other team pay at the other end.