• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Is Utah Now a Sleeper Pick for PAC 12 South?

MellowYellow

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Travis Wilson looks very much improved. Erickson's offense and him mesh very well.

His biggest improvement is his decision-making. Weber State was a poor test of this. However, vs. Utah State he made several great reads. Something he couldn't do last year. One was on a 56 yard pass that led to the 90 seconds of madness when the Utes scored 10 points. Wilson read a CB blitz, looked off the safety and gunned it to Dres Anderson.

The Utes will go as far as he does this year. Their D is improved and Utah can actually finish a game pounding the ball like they did vs. USU. Their overall rushing total from that game wasn't impressive. However, they got almost half of their total 148 in the 4th and most of that total on the final two drive when they did nothing but run.

If UCLA falters with the difficult Pac-12 schedule they have and ASU chokes like they always do, Utah does have a shot. The entire South sans USC looks much improved this year.

Sox33OSU

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Travis Wilson looks very much improved. Erickson's offense and him mesh very well.

His biggest improvement is his decision-making. Weber State was a poor test of this. However, vs. Utah State he made several great reads. Something he couldn't do last year. One was on a 56 yard pass that led to the 90 seconds of madness when the Utes scored 10 points. Wilson read a CB blitz, looked off the safety and gunned it to Dres Anderson.

The Utes will go as far as he does this year. Their D is improved and Utah can actually finish a game pounding the ball like they did vs. USU. Their overall rushing total from that game wasn't impressive. However, they got almost half of their total 148 in the 4th and most of that total on the final two drive when they did nothing but run.

If UCLA falters with the difficult Pac-12 schedule they have and ASU chokes like they always do, Utah does have a shot. The entire South sans USC looks much improved this year.

I agree 100% with this. I truly think Arizona State and UCLA are good teams. I'm hoping to see Wisconsin and Nebraska come away with wins this weekend (anything to help the OSU SOS), but I would be surprised to see it. I can't wait to see the ASU defensive line vs. Wisky's offensive line. That's gonna be an absolute street fight. I also think RR found the right place to coach in Arizona (remember when he was supposed to be Bama's coach? Yikes). He seems to have something good going on, both on the field and in recruiting.

I didn't mean to get all you guys upset with my opinions, it just seems very obvious that Utah is in the bottom half of that division.

MellowYellow

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
San Diego State was also a good team last year. Things change. Utah State lost their coach and to my knowledge several of his coaches. That is a huge deal. If they don't get by USC, they are terrible. I haven't "banged" on Utah in the slightest. I merely pointed out the fact that them merely having 1 win over a mid-major that lost a ton from last year should hardly make them a contender in any BCS conference. No need to get all up in arms.
They still had their best player from last year play vs. the Utes this year in QB Chuckie Keeton.

You shouldn't comment on Pac-12 stuff until you learn something about football out west. USU will most likely win the MWC or at least their division.

You should also look at who else is in the Pac-12 South, look at their schedules and then make your opinions rather than the opposite. Who else is gonna win the South? UCLA? They have the conference's most difficult schedule. ASU They always choke. USC? LMAO. The Fighting RichRods? Colorado? Utah has a legit chance to win the South. Not saying they are the favorite, but they do have a great shot to pull this out.

MellowYellow

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree 100% with this. I truly think Arizona State and UCLA are good teams. I'm hoping to see Wisconsin and Nebraska come away with wins this weekend (anything to help the OSU SOS), but I would be surprised to see it. I can't wait to see the ASU defensive line vs. Wisky's offensive line. That's gonna be an absolute street fight. I also think RR found the right place to coach in Arizona (remember when he was supposed to be Bama's coach? Yikes). He seems to have something good going on, both on the field and in recruiting.

I didn't mean to get all you guys upset with my opinions, it just seems very obvious that Utah is in the bottom half of that division.
It's not that obvious. The Fighting RichRods had one of the worst defenses in the nation last year. The fact they have a very good offense, barely gave them the edge over Utah in the preseason media poll.

The ASU - Wisky game should be very telling of ASU's championship aspirations. Their star DE and DT combined for 44 TFLs last year: 14 FBS teams didn't have 44.

Right now, you don't know much about Travis Wilson since he's in the SLC market. This kid is the real deal. He's smart, accurate and can run. If he continues to improve, he can be an Alex Smith clone.

Ironbreaker

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,116.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

meh I'm not upset at all. We just differ on opinions. I don't think the south has any 'good' teams. But I think they are all decent, maybe even Colo from what Im reading. I'm a skeptic though and will believe it when I see it regarding Colorado.

As far as my no good teams comment goes, its difficult for me to call a team good. Good to me is a team that will contend for a BCS bowl and most everyone knows it, and then they actually do. The south doesnt have any of those. Just a bunch of decent teams. The north has 2. Oregon and Stanford and then a couple of decent teams.

The thing that seems to be confusing some people is the term sleeper. Sleeper doesn't mean favored.

Someones going to have to step up and TAKE the south. UCLA and ASU are the favorites. But the south is not without a couple of sleepers. :suds:

MellowYellow

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
meh I'm not upset at all. We just differ on opinions. I don't think the south has any 'good' teams. But I think they are all decent, maybe even Colo from what Im reading. I'm a skeptic though and will believe it when I see it regarding Colorado.

As far as my no good teams comment goes, its difficult for me to call a team good. Good to me is a team that will contend for a BCS bowl and most everyone knows it, and then they actually do. The south doesnt have any of those. Just a bunch of decent teams. The north has 2. Oregon and Stanford and then a couple of decent teams.

The thing that seems to be confusing some people is the term sleeper. Sleeper doesn't mean favored.

Someones going to have to step up and TAKE the south. UCLA and ASU are the favorites. But the south is not without a couple of sleepers. :suds:
:agree:

Sox33OSU

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe I don't know enough about USU, but I do know that the MWC is not impressive this year. Fresno looks solid, though they sure made Rutgers' offense look amazing. They still have an awesome QB, though, and they'd be my pick to win the MWC.

I do know a decent amount about the PAC though, including how much many PAC fans think of their conference and it's depth. If you're sincerely thinking Utah could be a sleeper, well, like I said - it would be like me thinking the B1G is a great conference and saying Minnesota was a sleeper in their division. Calling someone a sleeper doesn't mean they're a favorite, but it does mean you think they have a shot. Minnesota has 0 shot. I would put an infinite amount of money on that, and they were a better team last season than Utah.

I will say, I'm rooting for USU. When I used to play video games in college, I always used USU when I made a dynasty on NCAA because they were the most obscure team I could think of.

Ironbreaker

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,116.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Minnesota doesnt have a shot because they are a weak team in a division with at least one GOOD team and several decent teams.

If Utah was in the north I would say hell no they arent a sleeper. But they are not. They are in a fairly weak division with no clear cut favorite.

Anyway we're approaching the dead horse pt now, and I'm not into that.

Ciao.

Sox33OSU

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Minnesota doesnt have a shot because they are a weak team in a division with at least one GOOD team and several decent teams.

If Utah was in the north I would say hell no they arent a sleeper. But they are not. They are in a fairly weak division with no clear cut favorite.

Anyway we're approaching the dead horse pt now, and I'm not into that.

Ciao.

Do you think Minnesota would be a sleeper in the Pac South?

Bronco-in-SLC

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wasn't being UNCALMING. I know this, Utah State could beat at least 5-6 teams in the PAC12. With that said. I see Utah State winning out the rest of this year. :suds:

They won't beat Boise. Nor BYU.

Utah will lose to BYU as well.

:yahoo:

mrwallace2ku

Treehugger
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wasn't being UNCALMING. I know this, Utah State could beat at least 5-6 teams in the PAC12. With that said. I see Utah State winning out the rest of this year. :suds:

THIS^ coming from a Pac azzclown whose team played in the Conference, what?...1 year? And they got their asses handed to em ALL year...2-0 this year and have yet to play a PACer team...sounds like a 47' Buick with a muffler leak for sure. Come back when she's all tuned up and has been running for 5 years before selling this eskimo an ice creme cone.

MellowYellow

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe I don't know enough about USU, but I do know that the MWC is not impressive this year. Fresno looks solid, though they sure made Rutgers' offense look amazing. They still have an awesome QB, though, and they'd be my pick to win the MWC.

I do know a decent amount about the PAC though, including how much many PAC fans think of their conference and it's depth. If you're sincerely thinking Utah could be a sleeper, well, like I said - it would be like me thinking the B1G is a great conference and saying Minnesota was a sleeper in their division. Calling someone a sleeper doesn't mean they're a favorite, but it does mean you think they have a shot. Minnesota has 0 shot. I would put an infinite amount of money on that, and they were a better team last season than Utah.

I will say, I'm rooting for USU. When I used to play video games in college, I always used USU when I made a dynasty on NCAA because they were the most obscure team I could think of.
Nobody is saying the Pac-12 has depth. We're saying the North has two BCS elite teams in the Trees and Nike U and some decent teams who can score. The South has a couple of good teams in fucla and the Forks; both would be picked behind Stanford and Oregon if it were one big division. The rest are either suripsingly better teams like CU and Utah and a shockingly awful team in USC along with a decent Fighting RichRod team who needs to prove it can stop people after last year. fucla has the most difficult conf schedule and the Forks always choke late in the year. Factor those in and that makes Utah a sleeper who needs luck and good-time to actually win the South, but at least they have a chance. Same with U of A, if their D ends up getting better.

mrwallace2ku

Treehugger
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Originally Posted by OregonDucks
believe it or not Oregon State is no Utah State, they are better.

:wtf:

OD IS THE DUMBEST OF ALL THE QUACKERS ON THIS SITE, BEST TO LET HIM QUACK UNTIL HE INSERTS BOOT IN MOUF FOR THE 1000TH TIME THIS YEAR..."OREGON STATE @ BEST TO WIN 6 THIS YEAR"...SHOULD EQUAL THAT MARK AFTER THE STANFORD BEATDOWN.:laugh3:

Bronco-in-SLC

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ya USU will beat Doise State and TTDS , and Utah will handle TTDS as well. :suds:

I doubt it. After all, we aren't Utah. We don't lose to Utah State. Ever. Nor do we lose to BYU.

Only Utah is capable of that feat.

Suck it Utes.

Go Broncos.

UtahUte

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,143.80
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I doubt it. After all, we aren't Utah. We don't lose to Utah State. Ever. Nor do we lose to BYU.

Only Utah is capable of that feat.

Suck it Utes.

Go Broncos.

And what you have played TTDS and USU 8 times combined. They're not your natural rivals, Idaho is you Doink!

Bronco-in-SLC

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And what you have played TTDS and USU 8 times combined. They're not your natural rivals, Idaho is you Doink!

We've been playing USU for decades.

Yes, BYU 4 times. Utah... 6ish times.

Guess how many times we've lost?

:rollseyes:

Game, set, match... point... Scott... game over...

trojanfight

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lets not count out usc after one game..yeah they lost to a lesser team got it...do you expect them to only pass for 50 yards a game rest of season? unlikely. I don't think they win the conference or anything...but lets not assume they are going to lose 5 in a row or something crazy.