• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Is this the last of the Yankees?

nynasty

nynasty
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,181.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you go there, I shall challenge you-- Detroit has the best record against the Yankees in the past century than anyone in major league history. The Tigers have ALWAYS given you all you can handle.. win, lose, draw, or indifferent.

That's nonsense. Tigers are more than 100 games under .500 against the Yankees since the two started playing each other.

The only team with a winning record against NY in that time frame are the Cincinnati Reds, and that's only a handful of games since Interleague started.

nynasty

nynasty
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,181.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ahhh...Nasty! I see you found me. I guess BigD gave you a heads up I was looking for you.

Yes..If I think my team will not win, I would rather have the draft pick. The Sox had 93 losses last season and ended up with one of the better pitching prospects in the draft at #7 overall.

The records have nothing to do with my predictions and you know that from the board earlier this season. We debated the age of the teams. You said the Yankees aren't old as per "average" age of the whole roster, as opposed to ages of the "key" players on the team. Good argument.

We debated the prospects and their ETA to the big leagues. I gave you the benefit of the doubt that all of the Yankee prospects make it, as I did with Boston. Now, there seems to be greater separation there in the Sox favor in term of talent AND ETA.

If you think these arguments are silly, then you are the oblivious one.

Welcome back!

Well, explain to me how the Red Sox losing 90+ games one season ago was a good thing, but the Yankees having an off season (after qualifying for the playoffs 17 of the last 18 years) is a sign that they're cooked?

You have very selective logic.

And once you're done explaining that, explain how you were once a Met fan. When did you switch, 2004?

:laugh3:

ImSmartherThanYou

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have you looked at the rosters of those teams? Aside form Mussina, it was a journeyman or has-been staff. Ripken was starting the downside of his career, and Eddie Murray was long gone. The win totals of some of these teams are not a testament to the talent, but rather the lack there-of of the league in general.

Of course I have, but I can tell you haven't. Alomar? Palmiero? Chris Hoiles was great, but had trouble staying healthy (such a shame, he had the potential to be a HOFer). BJ Surhoff and Brady Anderson were quality players. Baines was as steady as they came. Their rotation was ever-changing indeed, but they had guys like Wells, Erickson and Key, and where their rotation might have been a wild card, they always had great bullpens throughout that run who pitched lots of quality innings.

And the Indians' team did certainly have issues in their rotation, but they did have solid, experienced pitchers like Hershiser, and young guns like Colon and Jaret Wright. And, similar to the Orioles, they had a phenomenal bullpen who pitched a lot of big innings and picked up the slack.

$500 Million

Elitist Douche
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It felt pretty good. You may feel otherwise, but I am of the belief that if my team is not good enough to win it all, I would rather get a better draft pick.

I would rather that than be utterly emabarrassed on the national spotlight like the Yankees were last season.

The Sox record last season doesn't bother me. You either win the World Series or you don't. I don't dwell on the past. I live in the now and look to the future.

Sox future > Yankees future. Book it!

I'll book that the Tigers or Rays wipe their asses with your fuckstick franchise in October.

Enjoy. :yahoo:

nynasty

nynasty
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,181.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll book that the Tigers or Rays wipe their asses with your fuckstick franchise in October.

Enjoy. :yahoo:

If the Sox make it and get trounced, I don't think I'll be pumped that the Yankees have a better draft position.

I'd rather play meaningful October baseball.

Why do I have the sneaking suspicion our friend Rocketman changes his tune if and when that happens.

:nod:

tygerphan4ever

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's nonsense. Tigers are more than 100 games under .500 against the Yankees since the two started playing each other.

The only team with a winning record against NY in that time frame are the Cincinnati Reds, and that's only a handful of games since Interleague started.

No it isn't nonsense. Did I not make myself clear when I directly told you to check the past hundred years?? Don't you try to make me look foolish or something. EVERYONE is sub 5 bucks with the Yankees, but the Tigers are as close as it comes to beating you, and you saw so!!

tygerphan4ever

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Yankees are the greatest tesm in the history of pro sports, and they hsve a winning record agai.st anyone all who has played them more than a few series, but down thru history, Detroit has played you tougher than anyone, and we have great respect for you, but don't you go disredpecting us. I am a gracious fan, but I can be mean if you push me *hiss*

rokketmn

The Maven
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, explain to me how the Red Sox losing 90+ games one season ago was a good thing, but the Yankees having an off season (after qualifying for the playoffs 17 of the last 18 years) is a sign that they're cooked?

The Sox went something like 7-29 after the trade with the Dodgers. They were hovering around .500 prior. The poor record gave them a premium draft spot, and they nabbed a premium prospect. They used the nearly $60mm saved this year on A-Gone, Beckett, and Crawford to bring in Napoli, Victorino, Dempster, Gomes, Ross, Drew, Hanrahan, and Uehara. Nonre are or were were superstars, but they are all good players that were good clubhouse citizens and leaders. The culture of the team changed.

You are in denial if you really think this is an "off" season for the Yankees. Just like on the CBS board, you fail to tell me who wil be playing for your team in 2014 or 2015, or even acknowledge your team is old.

That reminds me...you told me back then that the Yankees would go after free agent pitchers like Verlander, Wainwright, Kershaw, and Felix. I told you that most, if not all, would be re-siged before the season was finished or in this off-season. Looks like I am 3 for 4 so far and Kershaw is next to the plate. The Dodgers have already discussed an extension with him, and he is not free until after 2014. With their deep pockets, he will be signed sooner rather than later.

With Mo Rivs retiring; Pettitte needing to hang them up; Kuroda a free agent again and always a threat to go back to the Dodgers or Japan; Hughes is a free agent also. Who will be pitching for the Yankees next season? Pineda? He hasn't pitched in 2 years and is shutdown again. Nova? Phelps? Chuckles. Sabathia is riding the same downtown train as Teixeira, A-Rod and the rest of the "old crony" crew.

The Yankees have to invest in Cano because he is all they have and in 3-4 years he will be in decline and the Yankees will have another bad contract on their hands. The cycle continues.

The Yankees best prospect, Gary Sanchez was promoted to AA recently after he posted a .740 OPS while repeating A ball. Their other "top" prospects are all floundering in A or AA with similar lines.

Where are their pitching prospects? Ty Hensley hasn't pitched in 2 years either. Banuelos had TJ surgery and needs 2014 just to find home plate and get back on the prospect map. Dellin Betances? He already failed as a starter and the Yanks converted him to relief. Their best relief prospect, Mark Montgomery got a wake up call in AA.

Please explain how the Yankees are in better shape than the Sox, oh wise one.

rokketmn

The Maven
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow. I love this thread. I just wish we had more fans from different teams chiming in. You know...the fans whose teams have a better outlook than the Yankees. There are a lot.

I forgot the Cubs! Oh my! THEY have a better outlook than the Yankees with old pals Theo and Jed running the show. Nice drafts, nice trades, good prospects. Still a good 2 years away, though.

StanMarsh51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow. I love this thread. I just wish we had more fans from different teams chiming in. You know...the fans whose teams have a better outlook than the Yankees. There are a lot.

I forgot the Cubs! Oh my! THEY have a better outlook than the Yankees with old pals Theo and Jed running the show. Nice drafts, nice trades, good prospects. Still a good 2 years away, though.

Of course you do, when you conveniently ignore when someone calls you out on your exaggerations/faulty logic, such as:

-Saying the White Sox and Jays were "awful" in the late '90s
-Saying Pettitte was the main reason the Yankees won the 2009 WS
-Believing that Nagy was the Indians top pitcher throughout the mid-late '90s
-Claiming the Orioles had 1 good season in the mid-late '90s
-Bringing up guys such as Key/Gooden as if they were any good with the Yankees in those years

Your "facts" on the late '90s are about as reliable as Al Jazeera

Last edited by a moderator:

tygerphan4ever

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
See?? Tbe Tigers are already showing signs of losing this game. No wonder I hate you, fuck yiu in the ass!!

tygerphan4ever

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is judt one of those days when the Yankees beat the hell out of us and,I'm pissed!!!

tygerphan4ever

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're beating me tonight , 3-0 in a game I really wanted arrrggghh!! I could kill you!!!!

rokketmn

The Maven
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
-Saying the White Sox and Jays were "awful" in the late '90s
-Saying Pettitte was the main reason the Yankees won the 2009 WS
-Believing that Nagy was the Indians top pitcher throughout the mid-late '90s
-Claiming the Orioles had 1 good season in the mid-late '90s
-Bringing up guys such as Key/Gooden as if they were any good with the Yankees in those years

• From 1995-1999, the White Sox had the following wins:68, 85, 80, 80, and 75
  • the Blue Jays had 56,74,76,88, and 84 wins
  • the Orioles had 71,88, 98,79, and 78 wins. Which one doesn't belong? Can you say aberration?
  • Nagy was the Indians best pitcher. He was 80-43 from 1995-1999
  • Pettitte was 2-0 in the WS, and if you watched the games, you would have seen that he owned Ryan Howard. Howard k'd 13 times in that series and it was mostly against the Yankee lefties. It's not always about the ERA. Sometimes it's about keeping your team in the game and getting big outs when you need them. Pettitte did that as well as anybody over his post-season career.
  • Key and Gooden were merely mentioned with the rest of the Yankee pitchers who were big names. In no place did I say they were key contributors, though Key made 2 starts in the '96 WS and won the deciding game 6 by out-pitching Greg Maddux. Not too shabby.
  • the Yankees won 79,92,96,114, and 98 games during that span. They finished 2nd to the Orioles in '97 and then Jeffery Maier robbed the Orioles of a playoff series.
The bottom line in my statements is that the Yankees of the late '90's were not really challenged. There was no consistent competition. Some teams would have a good year and then fall off.

The Rays have been a force since 2008 and are not going away for a while; the O's are good and getting better; Many thought the Jays would win the division this season. The Sox are a solid club. Any one of those teams could have been predicted to win the division. When was the last time that happened? I would say never. The level of competition has gone up as teams have focused on the draft and keeping those players long term.

Thanks for playing.

rokketmn

The Maven
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe the Yankees will go after Garza, Josh Johnson, Lincecum, Nolasco, or Ervin Santana for 2014. The only one who would worry me would be Garza because he had success in the AL East, but I think he could be damaged goods. Not as damaged as Johnson, though.

I can see the Yankees taking one year fliers on guys like Tim Hudson, Dan Haren, Shaun Marcum, or Gavin Floyd. Hudson's preference would likely be staying in Atlanta.

Yankee fans?

tygerphan4ever

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You guys won a game I really wanted. I tried to tell Tiger fans not to get caught taking the Yankees for granted. That pitching of yours is too good for that. I know you guys have had a bad history with us, but you don't always lose to us. Much as I hate to say it.. grats guys, well done!! ; > (

StanMarsh51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
  • From 1995-1999, the White Sox had the following wins:68, 85, 80, 80, and 75
  • the Blue Jays had 56,74,76,88, and 84 wins
  • the Orioles had 71,88, 98,79, and 78 wins. Which one doesn't belong? Can you say aberration?
  • Nagy was the Indians best pitcher. He was 80-43 from 1995-1999
  • Pettitte was 2-0 in the WS, and if you watched the games, you would have seen that he owned Ryan Howard. Howard k'd 13 times in that series and it was mostly against the Yankee lefties. It's not always about the ERA. Sometimes it's about keeping your team in the game and getting big outs when you need them. Pettitte did that as well as anybody over his post-season career.
  • Key and Gooden were merely mentioned with the rest of the Yankee pitchers who were big names. In no place did I say they were key contributors, though Key made 2 starts in the '96 WS and won the deciding game 6 by out-pitching Greg Maddux. Not too shabby.
  • the Yankees won 79,92,96,114, and 98 games during that span. They finished 2nd to the Orioles in '97 and then Jeffery Maier robbed the Orioles of a playoff series.
The bottom line in my statements is that the Yankees of the late '90's were not really challenged. There was no consistent competition. Some teams would have a good year and then fall off.

The Rays have been a force since 2008 and are not going away for a while; the O's are good and getting better; Many thought the Jays would win the division this season. The Sox are a solid club. Any one of those teams could have been predicted to win the division. When was the last time that happened? I would say never. The level of competition has gone up as teams have focused on the draft and keeping those players long term.

Thanks for playing.

From 1995-1999, the White Sox had the following wins:68, 85, 80, 80, and 7
the Blue Jays had 56,74,76,88, and 84 wins

I don't understand why you chose this time frame in the first place...if you're seeking to discredit the Yankee championships, why would you include 1995 (when they didn't win) and not include 2000 (when the did win)? Maybe because it doesn't suit your argument since Toronto and Chicago both finished over .500 in 2000?

the Orioles had 71,88, 98,79, and 78 wins. Which one doesn't belong? Can you say aberration?

So 88 wins and making the ALCS isn't a good season? What a weird definition of 'good' you have since you claim they had only one good season.

Nagy was the Indians best pitcher. He was 80-43 from 1995-1999

Using solely W-L record...not silly at all. You must also be in the camp that thinks Jack Morris was the best pitcher of the '80s because he had the most wins.

Pettitte was 2-0 in the WS, and if you watched the games, you would have seen that he owned Ryan Howard. Howard k'd 13 times in that series and it was mostly against the Yankee lefties. It's not always about the ERA. Sometimes it's about keeping your team in the game and getting big outs when you need them. Pettitte did that as well as anybody over his post-season career.

Are you seriously trying to pin the blame on Howard for the Phillies losing the WS? And you're right, it's not just about ERA....Pettitte also didn't go deep into games (averaged less than 6 innings/start) which isn't really helping the team as much as you think it is when you have to use your bullpen for at least 3 innings/game.

Key and Gooden were merely mentioned with the rest of the Yankee pitchers who were big names. In no place did I say they were key contributors, though Key made 2 starts in the '96 WS and won the deciding game 6 by out-pitching Greg Maddux. Not too shabby.

Jimmy Key pitched a mere 5.1 innings allowing 8 baserunners and 1 run, and was bailed out by the Yankee bullpen. Let's not act as if he was Schilling in the playoffs. There was no reason to mention these two, yet for some reason you did.

And as mentioned, you there doesn't need to be "consistent winners" for there to be competition. That's an artificial argument you're making up to try to discredit the Yankees anyway you can.

If team X won 95 games in year 1 and 80 games in year 2, while team Y won 85 games in year 1 and 96 games in 1 year, your logic is saying there's no competition because neither team was "consistent winners." I say that's nonsense, because in each year you have a competing team with 95+ wins...it doesn't matter who it comes from.

tygerphan4ever

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I respect you guys to pieces and I know the Yankees are the greatest team in the history of professional sports, but my Tigers are a well storied franchise too. I beg of yoy to be gracious. I know you beat us last night, but I beg of you.. show me the respect I've given you across the years. ; ... < (

Demetrios37

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As much as I dislike the Yankees, I agree. We all know they'll be players again. It's just a matter of time.

Not to digress, but I can't say enough about the job Girardi has done with this team. Considering what he has to work with, I don't think any other manager has done a better job this year.

Really?:lol::lol: You're kidding right? Are you aware they are in 4th place and 11.5 games out of first?