• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Is this 2019 LSU Team the best ever/sorry 1995 Nebraska but I think so

Is the LSU team the Best Ever

• Total voters

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nuts.

Nebraska was rated #2 to start the season, and #1 after 7 games.

LSU was rated #6 to start the season, moved up to #4, moved down to #5 in week 6 and week 7, moved up to #2, then up to #1, then back to #2, then back to #1, then back to #2 in week 14, LSU needed style points way more than Nebraska. The CFP requires style points. Why was LSU moving down in the polls IF THEY WERE WINNING? Style points.

LSU struggled to beat the good teams in the first half of their season. After the Alabama game, then, LSU started rolling.

Nebraska did not struggle with any of the good teams.

Yeah, well part of that was because they were ranked low to begin the season. It's natural to have more fluctuation if you don't begin the season as high. They struggled with Auburn but were already ranked #2 at the time. And nobody was moving to #1 until Bama lost at that point. Nebraska back then was a slightly worse version of Bama now.

Also, those good teams in the Big 8 had a combined 1 player picked in the top 100 of the draft. The good teams in the SEC had a combined 19 top 100 players picked in the draft. LSU was simply having to deal with playing more talented players.

Blackshirts BLVD

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nebraska back then was a slightly worse version of Bama now.

Also, those good teams in the Big 8 had a combined 1 player picked in the top 100 of the draft. The good teams in the SEC had a combined 19 top 100 players picked in the draft. LSU was simply having to deal with playing more talented players.

95 Nebraska was slightly worse? Makes sense, I mean Nebraska did dominate all of their opponents, not losing a game - not even having a close one really. But yeah, they are worse than a team that had 2 losses, didn't win their division, conference or play for a title. Totally get it now.

And why do people constantly talk about draft picks in college, sure you can definitely make the case that 01 Miami or 19 LSU were the most talented teams in history, whatever. But the fact remains, they were not as dominant and the ACTUAL statistics back that up. LSU could have had 60 draft picks this year, it doesn't change what they did on the field and while it was still impressive, it doesn't stack up. Those are the facts. Watch the video, it breaks down the numbers and compares them through eras.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
95 Nebraska was slightly worse? Makes sense, I mean Nebraska did dominate all of their opponents, not losing a game - not even having a close one really. But yeah, they are worse than a team that had 2 losses, didn't win their division, conference or play for a title. Totally get it now.

And why do people constantly talk about draft picks in college, sure you can definitely make the case that 01 Miami or 19 LSU were the most talented teams in history, whatever. But the fact remains, they were not as dominant and the ACTUAL statistics back that up. LSU could have had 60 draft picks this year, it doesn't change what they did on the field and while it was still impressive, it doesn't stack up. Those are the facts. Watch the video, it breaks down the numbers and compares them through eras.

I'm talking about the overall programs. Not specifically comparing 1995 Nebraska to 2019 Bama. Nebraska was on a hell of a run back then. Won the title in 94, finished 93 ranked #3. Started 96 ranked #1. That was my point, overall. Their overall run was a slightly worse version of this Bama run. Do you understand? LSU wasn't the dominant program, Bama was.

And yeah, I understand Nebraska was more dominant. I also understand they did it against teams nowhere near as talented as those lsu had to face in the SEC. It just is what it is.

What's more impressive? Beating a team with 9 top 100 picks on the road by 5(while giving up a late, meaningless TD) or beating a team with zero top 100 picks on the road by 23?

Blackshirts BLVD

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm talking about the overall programs. Not specifically comparing 1995 Nebraska to 2019 Bama. Nebraska was on a hell of a run back then. Won the title in 94, finished 93 ranked #3. Started 96 ranked #1. That was my point, overall. Their overall run was a slightly worse version of this Bama run. Do you understand? LSU wasn't the dominant program, Bama was.

Fair enough on the comparison.

And yeah, I understand Nebraska was more dominant. I also understand they did it against teams nowhere near as talented as those lsu had to face in the SEC. It just is what it is.

What's more impressive? Beating a team with 9 top 100 picks on the road by 5(while giving up a late, meaningless TD) or beating a team with zero top 100 picks on the road by 23?
]

This is why it is important to hold the statistics to the era. I will acknowledge the people are different, training is different, hell the game is different now than it was then. But that is exactly why those statistics matter relative to who and when they played. Nebraska wasn't a powerhouse recruiter the way teams like Bama, UGA, Clemson, and LSU are now even if you compared the times. LSU had tough teams in the SEC, I am not saying they didn't. But again, 50% of the Big8 was ranked inside the top 10 - conference to conference, I feel like we are splitting hairs. Difference is that LSU struggled with a few of those teams (+ texas) whereas Nebraska didn't. Nebraskas closest game was a 14 point win and one where (if I remember right) WSU scored a late garbage TD that the second or third team gave up to them in a TO.

19 LSU was a great team, not arguing that. But again, comparatively they don't stack up when you account for eras and talent across the landscape.

I'll tell you what is more impressive, not having a single team come close to beating you - so much so that you didn't even need to field an offense in ANY 4th quarter (barring giving the defense rests) and that includes beating 4 top ten teams in doing so. That, in my opinion, is more impressive than either of the options you presented.

HuskerinBig10

Dad, World Traveler, Investor, college football
Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
which schedule looks tougher in the first five games? Both played two road games against Power 5 teams. One team played four Power 5 teams, one team played two Power 5 teams. LSU played a FCS team

2019 LSU first five games

Georgia Southern
Texas
Northwestern State
Vanderbilt
Utah State

1995 Nebraska first five games
Oklahoma State
Michigan State
Arizona State
Pacific - Nebraska beat them so bad, they quit playing football after the 1995 season
Washington State

Last edited:

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Potato Salad.

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oklahoma State
Michigan State
Arizona State
Pacific - Nebraska beat them so bad, they quit playing football after the 1995 season
Washington State

Not sure what you are trying to say here.

HuskerinBig10

Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure what you are trying to say here.

I was disarming the posters that would say Pacific sucked, I agreed, they did.

To me, it is pretty obvious that Nebraska's first five games was much more difficult than LSUs.

You probably think that playing FCS, The Rutgers of the SEC, a WAC team, a Sunbelt team, and a Big 12 team is better than playing a Big 8 team(later part of the Big 12), PAC 10, PAC 10, Big 10, and a defunct team.

In LSUs first five games, LSU struggled with Texas, a power 5 team, LSU probably would have struggled if they played four Power 5 teams. We will never know, because they only played 1.5 Power 5 teams. The LSU 2020 schedule is the same, Nichols St, UTSA, and Rice.

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To me, it is pretty obvious that Nebraska's first five games was much more difficult than LSUs.

Much more difficult???
Dude, 3 of those teams went 3-8, and the other 2 were 1 game over .500

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was disarming the posters that would say Pacific sucked, I agreed, they did.

You probably think that playing FCS, The Rutgers of the SEC, a WAC team, a Sunbelt team, and a Big 12 team is better than playing a Big 8 team(later part of the Big 12), PAC 10, PAC 10, Big 10, and a defunct team.

In LSUs first five games, LSU struggled with Texas, a power 5 team, LSU probably would have struggled if they played four Power 5 teams. We will never know, because they only played 1.5 Power 5 teams. The LSU 2020 schedule is the same, Nichols St, UTSA, and Rice.

Dude, Oklahoma st, Michigan st and Arizona state didn’t have banner years in 1995. 2 of them had 6 wins and another had 4. You picked the wrong stat to argue in favor of 95 Nebraska.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
which schedule looks tougher in the first five games? Both played two road games against Power 5 teams. One team played four Power 5 teams, one team played two Power 5 teams. LSU played a FCS team

2019 LSU first five games

Georgia Southern
Texas
Northwestern State
Vanderbilt
Utah State

Oklahoma State
Michigan State
Arizona State
Washington State

Names alone give no context.

GA southern 7-6
Texas 8-5
Vanderbilt 3-9
Utah State 7-6
Northwestern state 3-9

Ok state 4-8
Mich st 6-5
AZ st 6-5
Pacific 3-8
WSU 3-8

first 5 games isnt even half the schedule but my opinion

Northwestern State 3-9 vs pacific 3-8 pacific played teams that are now G5 so adv Pacific.
Vandy 3-9 vs WSU 3-8 i give it to WSU. played 5 ranked teams beat 1. Vandy lost to UNLV.
Utah State 7-6 vs Ok state 4-8 give to OK state played and lost to 5 teams over 10 wins. they played a way harder schedule and was prob better than record could show because of it.
Ga Southern 7-6 vs Az state 6-5 pretty even records so im taking a P5 team.
Texas 8-5 vs Michigan state 6-5 looks like Texas Schedule was tougher than MSU
4 to 1 Nebraska

HuskerinBig10

Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No
I would scratch 3 of their worst games then compare.
Just to make it equal.

No dumber than saying drop the three lowest games, when LSU played 15 and Nebraska 12. "Just to make it equal"

Nowadays, teams put cupcakes on their schedules to fatten their home game paychecks and Wins.

There were 18 bowl games in 1995, now there are 40 bowl games.

You need six wins to get in.

Pad your schedule with cupcakes to achieve a bowl game.

Utah State went to a bowl game after playing 2-10 New Mexico and Stonybrook. Wow, impressive. Without those two games, no bowl.
georgia Southern went to a bowl game after playing Maine and New Mexico State. Without those two games, no bowl.
Vanderbilt went 3-9 with a win vs ETSU. I guess that is East tennessee State but I have no idea

The quality of teams now is way watered down.

meanwhile

1995 Michigan State played Nebraska, Boston College, Louisville and went bowling
1995 Az State played Nebraska, BYU and UTEP finished 6-5, did not go bowling, but in 2019, they would have.
1995 Washington State played Nebraska, Pittsburgh, and Montana. WSU sucked.

Thiefery

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Think LSU would win with today's rules.. they would have a player getting "cramps" every 3 plays on defense vs Nebraska

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if you are evening out you take out middle teams not just low.
dropping the low teams gives advantage to the team that played more because now their worst team won like 5 games.

Blackshirts BLVD

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love how everyone just disregards the video with the actual breakdown of the stats with consideration to who and when played.

Like I said...

giphy.gif