• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Is There a QB In The League....

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, depsite a very rough start and poor blocking throughout the night, RG3 finished completing 60% of his passes with 330 yards and two TDs. Hardly the embarrassment you are portraying it to be.

Excel

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, depsite a very rough start and poor blocking throughout the night, RG3 finished completing 60% of his passes with 330 yards and two TDs. Hardly the embarrassment you are portraying it to be.

I think there is part of that line you are intentionally not including, A?

-AC-

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I have said time and time again that the niners are the Super Bowl favorites out of the NFC. I just won't agree with every homer opinion some of you guys have. Kaepernick has potential (and more than many), but RG3 has by far more upside than any player at any position in the league.

I'm just curious what you are basing this on?

I agree that he has a ton of potential. But what do you see specifically that makes you think he has more potential then his fellow QB's (Kaep, Wilson, Luck) let alone the rest of the league...

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think there is part of that line you are intentionally not including, A?

The two picks? I missed the first, but the second was a hell of a play by the defender. Again, my point was not that he played flawless football. He didn't. He was rusty and uncomfortable in the pocket. But his performance wasn't bad, especially for his first live action since a serious injury.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm just curious what you are basing this on?

I agree that he has a ton of potential. But what do you see specifically that makes you think he has more potential then his fellow QB's (Kaep, Wilson, Luck) let alone the rest of the league...

Watching him play. I'm not a redskins fan. But RG3 is very visibly a special player, and his speed barely factors into that. Time and time again he made amazing throws when he needed to last year, and the kid is very visibly special.

Kaepernick definitely looks good, but I don't think many people who aren't 49ers fans would take Kaepernick over griffin. Griffin scares opponents in a way no one else can already.

tallglassofwater007

Large Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The two picks? I missed the first, but the second was a hell of a play by the defender. Again, my point was not that he played flawless football. He didn't. He was rusty and uncomfortable in the pocket. But his performance wasn't bad, especially for his first live action since a serious injury.

It was a heck of a play that he was able to do because of a bad throw and a bad decision. The first pick was more of the same.

I don't see how he has more upside than Luck or Kap. Kap has a bigger arm, just as accurate, and just as good a runner if not better. Maybe not faster, but just as good a runner and tougher to bring down. Luck is doing more with less than both of them right now. His performance was saved by loose coverage and the Eagles trying to protect the lead. You think I am downplaying it, but I think you are overselling it.

tallglassofwater007

Large Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watching him play. I'm not a redskins fan. But RG3 is very visibly a special player, and his speed barely factors into that. Time and time again he made amazing throws when he needed to last year, and the kid is very visibly special.

Kaepernick definitely looks good, but I don't think many people who aren't 49ers fans would take Kaepernick over griffin. Griffin scares opponents in a way no one else can already.

Says who?

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A bad decision? The throw could have had a bit more juice but it took a stellar defensive play to touch the ball at all, let alone make an interception. Most quarterbacks happily make that throw.

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only one I can think of right now is Luck. Dude is going to win 3-4 super bowl. He can throw, run, and think.

I would not be surprised to see many Luck Kaepernick super bowls and Luck Kaepernick comparisons just like Brady Manning comparisons

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
The only one I can think of right now is Luck. Dude is going to win 3-4 super bowl. He can throw, run, and think.

I would not be surprised to see many Luck Kaepernick super bowls and Luck Kaepernick comparisons just like Brady Manning comparisons

Here's the problem with that: Kaepernick's a 49er. The media will NEVER hype a west coast QB as much as they did Brady & Manning. Never.

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's the problem with that: Kaepernick's a 49er. The media will NEVER hype a west coast QB as much as they did Brady & Manning. Never.

Only if your meaning of media is soley ESPN who is not a medium anymore but a tabloid who cares more about social networking and who is singing at halftime than about reporting facts and news. I like watching foxsports 1. So far it is more like how ESPN used to be in the early 90s and I like it that way.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

Peyton benefited from the Midwest bias?

Don't they hype Russell Wilson pretty good now (in addition to Kap)?

The Brady/Manning thing got so much hype because it came at a down time for great QBs. Brees didn't really blow up until New Orleans; Rodgers didn't really blow up until a few years ago; Young and Aikman were gone; Favre was nearing the end (in theory); Vick never came close to reaching the expectations put on him. Warner was a bit of a flash in the pan (how many truly great years did he have?

The great draft of 99 ended up producing exactly 0 great QBs.

The early part of the 2000s was an era where teams took the approach that a care taker at QB and loading up elsewhere was the ticket to success - following the Ravens and Bucs blueprint. The Raiders with Gannon's high yardage totals were much in the care taker/game manager mold. Hell, that's even the route the Patriots took in choosing Brady over Bledsoe.

Manning and Brady were the only true, young superstar QBs of the 2000-2007 range.

Compare that to today where we're in a "golden age" of QBs. Last year alone saw 4 first year starters turned into superstars. Why? Because it's now been decided that to win the Super Bowl you need a superstar at QB. Kap/Luck won't reach the level of Brady/Manning not because of any regional biases in the media (and the suggestion of a regional bias against the Niners is a little far fetched when there are many media members that will tell you the best QB, WR and S of all time all suited up for SF), but because there will always be other names to enter the discussion. Luck will be forever attached to RG3, just like Peyton would have been attached to Leaf if Leaf wasn't hot garbage.

Rodgers will always be in the discussion partly because he's awesome, partly because he plays in GB and partly because of him falling in the draft and making his hometown team look stupid by choosing Smith instead.

Brees will be in the discussion for a few more years, Wilson will forever be connected to Luck and Griffin through the draft and Kap through division rivalry.

And because the current narrative is that you need a great (elite) QB to win, good to very good QBs on successful teams will default into the discussion (Eli, Matt Ryan, Flacco).

It's not a bias against SF. It's the era in which Kap exists as a QB.

I also think that the new media will greatly influence it. Everyone has the chance to be a superstar now. There was a time where media bias could exist because of limited exposure, but with the internet what it is today, a great player can't stay under the radar due to a lack of exposure.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Peyton benefited from the Midwest bias?

Don't they hype Russell Wilson pretty good now (in addition to Kap)?

If Peyton played for the Chargers, I don't think he would've gotten nearly as much media hype as he did. Look at 2008; Rivers should have won the MVP that year, but they gave it to Manning.

Kap is gonna have to prove he's one of the 2 best QBs in the NFL before we can make the comparison, but even if he does I don't think he'll get anywhere near the hype Brady did. I hope I'm wrong.

-AC-

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

I was checking out 49er articles on ESPN and came across this, and it made me think about your bolded comment...

Is greatness in Colin Kaepernick's future? - SportsNation - ESPN

Check out the third fan poll that has Griffin picked last out of Kaep, Wilson, Luck and Griffin...

I respect your opinion about Griffin, but maybe you shouldn't be so quick to lump all other fans into it...

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
after we win the super bowl, kap will be up there

tallglassofwater007

Large Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A bad decision? The throw could have had a bit more juice but it took a stellar defensive play to touch the ball at all, let alone make an interception. Most quarterbacks happily make that throw.

He threw a late out route to the long side of the field. And he didn't step into it. It was a bad decision or a bad throw, take your pick. Either way it was bad on his part.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

This article seemed like an exercise in futility. It was basically, "Hey, who do you think is the most [fill in attribute] among these five guys?" And then these guys, many of them with little exposure to these QBs other than what they've seen on the field, weigh in on a wide range of intangibles. The durability thing is just plain dumb. Only RGIII has ever had issues with durability. How can you compare the rest when they have literally never missed a game?

Not going to go through them all individually, but I was struck by one in particular:

Intelligence

Rankings: 1. Luck 2. Griffin 3. Wilson 4. Kaepernick 5. Newton

I think Kaepernick is seriously underestimated in this area. I know it's not necessarily in-game intelligence, but Kap scored an impressive 37 on the Wonderlic, same as Luck. Wilson came in at 28, Griffin at 24, and Newton at 21. Kap is perhaps still adjusting somewhat to a pro-style offense and reading an NFL D, but he's a very smart guy and a very hard worker, working with one of the more successful QB whisperers out there.