• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Is it time for Bevell to implement the Screen game in our O

SeattleOspreys

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have a 5-1 record, haven't even got it going, yet, which is awesome because we want to get on a roll headed to the playoffs and not peak so early. See Houston last year.

I don't want to bash Bevell every week (when anyone starts a sentence that way,he's about to bash Bevell) but c'mon, I think he should be watching the game from the press box.

I've been posting since the week 1 game at Carolina that we need to execute the screen game in the offense. Our OL is below avg until we get Okung back and our WR's aren't getting separation. We need more explosive plays and I know we could get it in the screen game.

At a 10-10 score and critical juncture in the game, RWill plays sandlot football, tells Lynch in the huddle to look for the ball because RWill knows the OL and WR separation are current issues. What happens? Lynch hauls in the wheel route for a 55 yd gain. I thought it was a Bevell call until I saw the RWill press conference when he mentioned that he had a talk with Lynch in the huddle. It wasn't a play call.

You know it's a called screen when the OL allow the DE's get in and the OL can attack the 2nd line and allowing someone like Lynch to have a convo out in front. That screen will work multiple times a game because you can use it to either side out of different formations, under center, shotgun, roll outs, etc. Sorry about Calais but the screen is a necessity vs Zona because they will attack our OL with reckless abandonment

Lynch took another dump off for 10 yds on a 3rd and 4 late to get points. How can guys on a message board see an obvious solution to our 3rd down conversion issues but our veteran O-Co can't pull his head out of his conservative @$$ to see the simplicity of this play?

I remember plays from John L. Williams who wasn't a burner, but really just a fullback and took 2 screens 75 yds vs the Bears and another vs the Raiders in the 80's, who had good D's. That was ground chuck. If a play works, utilize it as necessary.

Sunday is about enjoying the Hawks and I do but Bevell does annoy me. Oh well, Go Hawks!

SeattleOspreys

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
John L takes 2 screens to the house. At 1:55 and 3:10

This is the simple screen that will work for our Hawks.

John L Williams was a great football player and a worthwhile view if you didn't get a chance to
see him play. Even if you were a fan at that time, you should take a look.

If you want to go directly to the simple screens go to:

1:55 vs the Bears

3:10 vs the Raiders

This is football 101 and if ground Chuck can execute then PC can get Bevell to run a version of
this play. Enjoy!

Last edited by a moderator:

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
John L. Williams is one of my favorite all time Seahawks.

I would love it if the Seahawks would run more screen passes, as long as they throw fewer of those WR screen to Tate. For every 10 yard gain we get, we get a 5 yard loss.

PistolHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll add that since Harvin will be back soon, now would be the time to start working this into our system. We tried a few screens over the last couple weeks but haven't had much success. That screen to Tate that went incomplete seemed like they defense knew exactly what was coming. Anyway, harvin can be very dangerous if you get him the ball in open space...this needs to be an element in our offense...especially when our passing game is struggling.

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well the big problem is that since our o-line is in shambles anyone coming out of the backfield is busy picking up a pass rushers. Guys are just getting through too quickly to set up a screen. With all the injuries that we've had it's amazing that we're 5-1.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep.. we do need more screen play's... No question... Especially with our O-line problems right now because screen play's will keep those pass rushers wondering... Definitely need to implement them sometimes...

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well the big problem is that since our o-line is in shambles anyone coming out of the backfield is busy picking up a pass rushers. Guys are just getting through too quickly to set up a screen. With all the injuries that we've had it's amazing that we're 5-1.

Screens do a good job with pass rushers though because you basically can let them come through making them think they got the play wrapped up and then .... DUMP... and you have room on the screen... You just gotta set um up right and they can be extremely affective against blitzes and good pass rushers...

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
That's funny. A lot of 49er fans are lamenting the same exact thing. They've ran like 2 screens all year or something.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hope you don't mean WR screens because we run plenty of those unsuccessfully.

Although if you're talking about HB screens I agree with you.

Only reason I could think that we wouldn't run them would be:
1. Offensive line not athletic enough to get out there in space. Which is a pretty valid concern
2. Marshawn Lynch's hands. He has not dropped too many passes (surprisingly) in games during his time in Seattle but if you have ever seen him out there in practice you know that he has brick hands.

I wouldn't mind seeing them throw some screens to Turbin or Michael. Turbin has great hands and is a bit quicker than Lynch, don't know too much about Christine Michael's catching ability though.

Once Harvin comes back I love the idea of running screens to him out of the backfield, the Seahawks honestly don't run the WR screen very effectively despite repeated attempts, therefore I think Harvin would be more effective catching screens out of the backfield.

SeattleOspreys

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It is amazing we're 5-1. If not for RWill, we'd be closer to 1-5.

Regarding the screen, when executed properly as shown at 1:50 at the above You-tube, the OL allows the DL to blow by them, thus allowing the OL to get to the next level to smash LB's and DB's. Then RWill will just toss it to Lynch who will now have OL blockers downfield as a caravan.

Since our OL is in shambles, we don't have to worry about our OL allowing the DL past them, it happens naturally. Thus, we don't want Lynch to pick up the pass rushers. Lynch sneaks out of the backfield to catch the screen.

Go review the You tube and click at the 1:50 slot. The Hawks ran the screen to perfection against a hard charging Bear D. If you look closely and know the Uni's, I saw Dan Hampton, the Fridge, Mike Singletary and I believe it was Shaun Gale at the end.

Who was the first Hawk to congratulate John L? None other than the starting LT, RMattes, who released on the play and led the caravan.

Make sense? Go Hawks!

SeattleOspreys

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Screens do a good job with pass rushers though because you basically can let them come through making them think they got the play wrapped up and then .... DUMP... and you have room on the screen... You just gotta set um up right and they can be extremely affective against blitzes and good pass rushers...

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

SeattleOspreys

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hope you don't mean WR screens because we run plenty of those unsuccessfully.

Although if you're talking about HB screens I agree with you.

Only reason I could think that we wouldn't run them would be:
1. Offensive line not athletic enough to get out there in space. Which is a pretty valid concern
2. Marshawn Lynch's hands. He has not dropped too many passes (surprisingly) in games during his time in Seattle but if you have ever seen him out there in practice you know that he has brick hands.

I wouldn't mind seeing them throw some screens to Turbin or Michael. Turbin has great hands and is a bit quicker than Lynch, don't know too much about Christine Michael's catching ability though.

Once Harvin comes back I love the idea of running screens to him out of the backfield, the Seahawks honestly don't run the WR screen very effectively despite repeated attempts, therefore I think Harvin would be more effective catching screens out of the backfield.

It's all RB screens. Take a look at the John L screens. It'll take 30 seconds if you go to 1:55 and 3:10.

The problem with all of our WR screens is that there is no deception and the plays are executed so quickly that the op is rarely out of position and you're asking for another WR to either block or slip a tackle.

The RB screen is executed with deception as if RWill is looking downfield to the right pulling the D in that direction and then the OL releases, he turns left, drops it over the DL and you have a caravan with Lynch, who doesn't need one.

The deception occurs by running a play action screen on 2nd down with regular personnel. If we throw it on 3rd down with Turbin or Mike, who I want to see more, it loses part of the surprise attack.

Harvin is more bubble screen like we're currently using.

The art of War. Time to send Bevell the book or at least the audio version.

Go Hawks!

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bevell just needs to implement himself off the team. There are things that can be done to alleviate OL problems, especially when you have the QB and RB group that we have, and they have done virtually none of it.

Instead they let Wilson sit in the pocket or throw bubble screens that have a 1 in 10 chance of working. They did a few more rollouts last week, but they should have been doing it all year.