• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Is it sit out one year or one season?

Hang_On_Sloopy08

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the season is cancelled, could players theoretically transfer and keep the same number of years of eligibility?

michaeljordan_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They'd have to up the scholarships available to each school. Go from 85 to 110 on campus?

I can't imagine there would be so many players transferring that this would be necessary.

Angry red

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the season is cancelled, could players theoretically transfer and keep the same number of years of eligibility?

This is one reason that a season may not occur. Buearcracy moves slowly. I don't think Covid 19 is the issue anymore. It is more of a legal and political obstacle.

Will a league like the PAC hold up a season because of an injunction? Will it be because of players? Will it be because of questions of eligibility?

A second wave? There wasn't a first wave.

Rolltide94

Hoopla Cash
$ 119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't imagine there would be so many players transferring that this would be necessary.

You're missing his point...if they grant an additional year of eligibility, and nobody leaves, there is still a recruiting class...and therefore a need for additional scholarships. If we just move forward a season then there will be 75-85 guys already on scholarship and then we will add the 2021 recruiting class on top of that. Then you got the 2021 draft on top of that, do guys leave with no season? If there is no season, shit gets real, real fast. Should prove interesting either way.

michaeljordan_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're missing his point...if they grant an additional year of eligibility, and nobody leaves, there is still a recruiting class...and therefore a need for additional scholarships. If we just move forward a season then there will be 75-85 guys already on scholarship and then we will add the 2021 recruiting class on top of that. Then you got the 2021 draft on top of that, do guys leave with no season? If there is no season, shit gets real, real fast. Should prove interesting either way.

I interpreted the OP as, are transfers required to sit out a "Season" or a "year". If it is a season, then they wouldn't be able to start until 2022. If it is a year, then they will be fine to play in 2021.

I don't think he was asking about granting "Extra" years, just when they could start to play.

Hang_On_Sloopy08

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That wasn’t my point but you make even a better point. This shall get interesting.

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only reasonable thing to do is act like this year didn’t happen and apply rules to the following year as if they were normal. The exception would be the graduation transfer rule and in theory that would allow someone to transfer and have two years instead of one. The course work would have to be there.

gob

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,496.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, keep in mind that you only need to be out of high school for 3 years (not seasons) before entering the draft. So, guys like Fields and Lawrence won't ever be playing in college again.

Hang_On_Sloopy08

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only reasonable thing to do is act like this year didn’t happen and apply rules to the following year as if they were normal. The exception would be the graduation transfer rule and in theory that would allow someone to transfer and have two years instead of one. The course work would have to be there.
You’d think but Rolltide above makes a good point about scholarship limits since another recruiting class comes in.

Hang_On_Sloopy08

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, keep in mind that You only need to be out of high school for 3 years (not seasons) before entering the draft. So, guys like Fields and Lawrence won't ever be playing in college again.
Which would suck.

Reactions: gob

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They'd have to up the scholarships available to each school. Go from 85 to 110 on campus?
They already have this problem with the Spring sports. They gave them all an extra year - but those teams also had kids committed. I don't think the NCAA is waiving scholarship limits so it's going to either screw the older kids or the new recruits. I don't remember which school, I think Wisconsin?, said they were universally "moving on" from the seniors in all spring sports.

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You’d think but Rolltide above makes a good point about scholarship limits since another recruiting class comes in.

They already have this problem with the Spring sports. They gave them all an extra year - but those teams also had kids committed. I don't think the NCAA is waiving scholarship limits so it's going to either screw the older kids or the new recruits. I don't remember which school, I think Wisconsin?, said they were universally "moving on" from the seniors in all spring sports.
This is going to get fixed because for no other reason it has to be so there will be additional scholarships allowed for the sports that don't play.

Basketball won't be an issue because they got their season in (per the NCAA).

Football is going to play in at least some areas so that is when this will get sticky and is the really big question. Will a school that doesn't play get additional scholarships when a school that does will not. There is a solid argument that more scholarships equal a competitive advantage in depth. Hopefully, everyone will play.

Another argument could be made that smaller schools can't afford additional scholarships but I don't think this will get much play because at the end of the day more students equal more money and the bulk of the money is already spent and the additional scholarships won't matter that much.

As for the draft issue that is easily solved as well as anyone that would be eligible if a season was played will be allowed to go pro. You can't hold them back as that isn't fair.

If everyone plays some kind of season this will be worked out pretty easy but if some schools don't play it is going to be messier.

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Athletes in spring sports are not losing a year of eligibility.

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It looks like redshirts and those sitting out a year for transfers don't get an extra year.

Division I Council extends eligibility for student-athletes impacted by COVID-19

The Division I Council on Monday voted to allow schools to provide spring-sport student-athletes an additional season of competition and an extension of their period of eligibility.

Members also adjusted financial aid rules to allow teams to carry more members on scholarship to account for incoming recruits and student-athletes who had been in their last year of eligibility who decide to stay. In a nod to the financial uncertainty faced by higher education, the Council vote also provided schools with the flexibility to give students the opportunity to return for 2020-21 without requiring that athletics aid be provided at the same level awarded for 2019-20. This flexibility applies only to student-athletes who would have exhausted eligibility in 2019-20.

Schools also will have the ability to use the NCAA’s Student Assistance Fund to pay for scholarships for students who take advantage of the additional eligibility flexibility in 2020-21.

Division I rules limit student-athletes to four seasons of competition in a five-year period. The Council’s decision allows schools to self-apply waivers to restore one of those seasons of competition for student-athletes who had competed while eligible in the COVID-19-shortened 2020 spring season

The Council also will allow schools to self-apply a one-year extension of eligibility for spring-sport student-athletes, effectively extending each student’s five-year “clock” by a year. This decision was especially important for student-athletes who had reached the end of their five-year clock in 2020 and saw their seasons end abruptly.

“The Council’s decision gives individual schools the flexibility to make decisions at a campus level,” said Council chair M. Grace Calhoun, athletics director at Penn. “The Board of Governors encouraged conferences and schools to take action in the best interest of student-athletes and their communities, and now schools have the opportunity to do that.”

Winter sports were not included in the decision. Council members declined to extend eligibility for student-athletes in sports where all or much of their regular seasons were completed.

The Council also increased the roster limit in baseball for student-athletes impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic, the only spring sport with such a limit.

batchaps4me

Trolley conductor in Mr. Rogers' neighborhood.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,999.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The NCAA should exempt senior players enrolled in schools that do not reopen sports for one year from the next year's scholarship totals and grant them another year of eligibility. JMO